• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've noticed something. Why is it whenever I propose that the Panepon fandom actually band together to do something, I get a few "likes" at most? Why doesn't anyone want to really do anything in here?
It's an investment, and most of us don't have any programming knowledge to actually contribute to something.

I do know a bit of Game Maker, but that's largely because I was taught C++ in high school. I know first-hand that programming even something simple as Super Mario Bros from the ground up is a very daunting task for a first timer.

That said, SMB engines are available, and we could make a simple platformer, but again, you need a spriter. Or we'll have to make do with simple SMB-like sprites.

(Doesn't sound too bad now that I think about it.)

If you want to make a platformer, you need:
  • A coder
  • A spriter
  • A level designer
At minimum. And optionally someone who arranges music.

If we have all three, we could start something.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In addition to the above, saying "let's do something" is very vague. You might've a better chance of getting a group together if you have a concrete idea on what you wanna do and then propose it.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Does it bug anybody else that Takamaru got an Assist trophy and a Mii costume, while Lip didn't get ****? I mean, I understand we aren't really wanting mii costumes, but at this point, I woulda taken anything Lip related...
Ah well, I guess it was to be expected. I'll be crossing my fingers for some sort of appearance in the next Smash, at least. I'm sure by now we have a bigger chance, considering it won't be a popularity contest this time, and anything goes again.

And again, I would love to work on a project with you guys, but I'm not exactly the best at game making of any kind. All of us seem to have so many different ideas of what we want to do, which is probably why we are having so much trouble getting things started as a community project.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Does it bug anybody else that Takamaru got an Assist trophy and a Mii costume, while Lip didn't get ****? I mean, I understand we aren't really wanting mii costumes, but at this point, I woulda taken anything Lip related...
Ah well, I guess it was to be expected. I'll be crossing my fingers for some sort of appearance in the next Smash, at least. I'm sure by now we have a bigger chance, considering it won't be a popularity contest this time, and anything goes again.

And again, I would love to work on a project with you guys, but I'm not exactly the best at game making of any kind. All of us seem to have so many different ideas of what we want to do, which is probably why we are having so much trouble getting things started as a community project.
To be fair, Takamaru has always been more prominent. His game runs on Legend of Zelda's engine and he was briefly considered as a playable character.

He has the developers on his side.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly more bothered by the fact that after all these months, a sixth Fire Emblem character is the only Nintendo newcomer we're getting. Everyone else was either a veteran or a 3rd-party character. What's worse is that, if you look at the Mii costumes, Nintendo is fully aware which character are wanted and instead we basically get Roy V2, a character who was seemingly only added as advertisement.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In addition to the above, saying "let's do something" is very vague. You might've a better chance of getting a group together if you have a concrete idea on what you wanna do and then propose it.
This. If you really want to do something, we should create a social group and create and project plan and everything. Its hard to do something when there is nothing to do.

But in all honesty, I don't see the point in doing just ANYTHING with Panel de Pon characters. I'd want the core gameplay to still be based on classic Panel de Pon gameplay. Maybe we can add RPG elements to it, but the core gameplay should remain the same. If I can get some more time open I'd love to keep working on that game engine I started. Maybe we could use that, and incorporate some RPG elements. The problem I have is with the graphics.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I've noticed something. Why is it whenever I propose that the Panepon fandom actually band together to do something, I get a few "likes" at most? Why doesn't anyone want to really do anything in here?
Can't make money off of any sweet new ideas because it would be Momtendo's IP.
And I don't want to spend all that time making a game for nothin...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Can't make money off of any sweet new ideas because it would be Momtendo's IP.
And I don't want to spend all that time making a game for nothin...
This is the other issue. I want to honor Panel de Pon gameplay-wise, but I don't want to just create a game inspired by Panel de Pon itself because its a large effort to produce such a thing, and I don't have time for that. I need to produce something that will help me make up the time spent on the project. Though, I'll leave the game engine open for others to use if they wish to create a Panel de Pon fan game.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
This. If you really want to do something, we should create a social group and create and project plan and everything. Its hard to do something when there is nothing to do.

But in all honesty, I don't see the point in doing just ANYTHING with Panel de Pon characters. I'd want the core gameplay to still be based on classic Panel de Pon gameplay. Maybe we can add RPG elements to it, but the core gameplay should remain the same. If I can get some more time open I'd love to keep working on that game engine I started. Maybe we could use that, and incorporate some RPG elements. The problem I have is with the graphics.
I could do whatever I could to help with graphics. I mean, I'm no pro, but I could try something.

I do honestly feel the same about still keeping the puzzle feel of a fan made panel de pon intact, with maybe some added little bits and pieces to it. I mean, at the end of the day, it's the addicting gameplay that got us to fall in love with the franchise, right...?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
For me just making something "inspired by" Panel de Pon isn't enough. It's the characters I care most about. The gameplay is fun, but the art style and designs are some of the most charming I've ever seen. Nintendo, like any successful company, likes making money - and marketing cute characters like the fairies is a good way to make money!

I was considering using something like RPG Maker to create a Panel de Pon game in (an RPG spinoff is, again, pretty much my dream game). That would probably mean it wouldn't have any puzzle elements in it, but the engine is actually pretty powerful. People have created a 95% accurate emulation of standard Pokemon gameplay in it, so a lot is possible.

Mmm. I personally won't be expecting anything. For one thing, a playable Lip would be more of a happy surprise that way. For two, Nintendo's already proven with the rest of SSB4, and to an extent Brawl, that they see Smash Bros. more as an advertising tool than a celebration of their history these days.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Making an RPG is a big investment.
For one, you need to add a lot of things not in the game - common enemies, weapons, abilities, and all that. It's not the first thing that we should be doing, or we'll lose interest really quickly. Plus you need a story.

A platformer is arguably much easier. Ready-made engines are available which very much lessens our workload for coding, and spriting for an platformer is easier than an RPG. If we are dead set on making something, I suggest we start there.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Or you know, we could always collaborate towards a mod of Lip, and put her into PM or something. I think I remember something like that got started, but dropped a long while back?
Times like these make me wish I was a super popular Youtuber person who could help spread the word that way. Imagine how much more attention. It sometimes really feels like the only people who are big fans of this game are the people in this thread.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Or you know, we could always collaborate towards a mod of Lip, and put her into PM or something. I think I remember something like that got started, but dropped a long while back?
Times like these make me wish I was a super popular Youtuber person who could help spread the word that way.
How many of us actually know how to work with models though? Except Taigiry, I mean.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Making an RPG is a big investment.
For one, you need to add a lot of things not in the game - common enemies, weapons, abilities, and all that. It's not the first thing that we should be doing, or we'll lose interest really quickly. Plus you need a story.

A platformer is arguably much easier. Ready-made engines are available which very much lessens our workload for coding, and spriting for an platformer is easier than an RPG. If we are dead set on making something, I suggest we start there.

I still think the easier thing is replicating the original gameplay. I'll try spending some side time working on that engine again that will be flexible and capable of multiple purposes so that I can use it as an original work, but we can also create a "new" Panel De Pon close to the original. Even a platformer would require require a lot of additional work and has the same enemies problem.

D

Deleted member

I'm very much in favor for either a plattformer or RPG, though the thing is, I doubt anyone here would want to do something very generic. I mean, even Chibi-Robo Zip Lash, while being a plattformer, still has series typical stuff, like collecting trash or the energy gauge, not to mention the eponymous zip lash.

So, before making a game, it's important to look at the characters and their abilities. Now what have we seen Lip or Furil (I group them together for sake of simplicity) do? There's the obvious one, which is creating garbage blocks. She also flew around, encased in a bubble. In Captain Rainbow (if you wanna take that game into account), she transformed her house, a large mushroom, into a living, slightly demonic looking being, even if it was accidental. So taking this into account, she has enough control over flowers to make them sentient. Lastly, when casting a spell, she did levitate above the ground (around her height and a half), maybe this ability tied to spellcasting, maybe she has full control over the floating, that I don't know.

Well, these are all the abilities of Lip and Furil I can think of right now. Of course, when taking the other characters into account, it's getting more difficult.

And after looking at those abilities, the next question is, how to translate them into the game, which obviously differs on whether we're talking about a plattformer or RPG. And while I do have some (not many) ideas for both, that's for another time. Otherwise this post is getting a bit too long and messy.

How many of us actually know how to work with models though?
*raises hand*
Except Taigiry, I mean.
*lowers hand*

Jokes aside, I'm MIA when it comes to 3d related stuff. I'm saying this just in case.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I always imagined Lip using giant floating flowers to get around (like the kind you see on the menu screen), sort of like Kirby's warp stars. Poison magic is another gimme, considering Lip's Stick.

I think a 2D game would be the best starting point. I've been spriting for, oh geez, maybe... ~10 years by now, so if there's anything the team would hypothetically need help with on the art department, I'd be available.

(On a related note, I really don't know why you guys are so scared about using characters and/or creatures that aren't in the official games. Character design can be fun!)

D

Deleted member

Well, activity quickly died down here again. I mean, if people here are serious about doing something, it would be wise to properly discuss it. Otherwise, well, nothing will ever happen.
(On a related note, I really don't know why you guys are so scared about using characters and/or creatures that aren't in the official games. Character design can be fun!)
I can't speak for the others, but I simply dislike OC stuff. Not because the idea itself is bad, but because it's very rare that the fan made stuff actually fits the source material. For example, I've yet to see a Pokemon hack that includes Fakemon that don't look out of place. Whether it's the artistic "talent" of the spriter, or the design of the monster as whole. Or sometimes even both at once.

Well, speaking of "art"... surprise? Still very early and for once it's not Lip.
Though keep in mind, with the state my PC is in, I won't, or rather can't, promise to finish this. Then I'll have to go back to 2d stuff, that's... kinda nostalgic sounding actually.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
"Not Lip?" Mmm, Furil and Lip are similar enough design-wise that the latter could easily be mistaken for a redesign of the former. (Most of the Puzzle Collection fairies, really.) Even Nintendo can't tell them apart.

I can't speak for the others, but I simply dislike OC stuff. Not because the idea itself is bad, but because it's very rare that the fan made stuff actually fits the source material. For example, I've yet to see a Pokemon hack that includes Fakemon that don't look out of place. Whether it's the artistic "talent" of the spriter, or the design of the monster as whole. Or sometimes even both at once.
I've been drawing the fairies (mostly Lip) often enough to understand the gist of the art style and character designs. I can understand if you'd be iffy about introducing OCs, though, considering stuff like Pokemon Quartz. At the very least, I wouldn't be putting Axel from Kingdom Hearts into the game for no reason other than "eheh, hey, let's put in Axel from Kingdom Hearts". (That and the out-of-character dialogue were enough to single-handedly ruin Liquid Crystal for me.)

Well, activity quickly died down here again. I mean, if people here are serious about doing something, it would be wise to properly discuss it. Otherwise, well, nothing will ever happen.
You pretty much summed up a major problem I have with this fandom. If all of us (not that there's a lot, but...) teamed up and worked together, I'm sure we'd be able to put together something great that shows our love of Panel de Pon. But none of us besides me and you seem to be willing to do much of anything.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You pretty much summed up a major problem I have with this fandom. If all of us (not that there's a lot, but...) teamed up and worked together, I'm sure we'd be able to put together something great that shows our love of Panel de Pon. But none of us besides me and you seem to be willing to do much of anything.
I'd be willing to help if you gave a more concrete idea of what we want to make. I'm much more of a coder, anyway.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I'd honestly be OK with original content because the only source material that really exists are two short games with very little world-building and lore to begin with.
I mean, if people here are serious about doing something, it would be wise to properly discuss it. Otherwise, well, nothing will ever happen.
Lots of people are probably still trying out :4cloud:. It's also 5 days till Christmas, so people might be doing some last minute preparations for that. People might be a little preoccupied for the next few days. Another reason that seems to be popping up a lot is that people don't have experience making games.

D

Deleted member

I apologize for not having much new to show. I only managed to finish the ponytail today as I always got distracted by other stuff. Heh, I guess I'm pretty slow when it comes to this modeling stuff, sorry.

And I also have a little question for you guys. Should I first finish a base model, so that, if I should decide to make the other fairies, too (which is in no way decided), it would be easier or should I concentrate only on Furil and finish her ASAP? I'm a bit undecided.

That actually makes me curious about something else, too. Would you guys rather see the SNES fairies and would be disappointed if I did the GC fairies instead? Because I personally prefer the GC ones, but I can see people being disappointed by that decision, as they are not the original generation, so to say.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd say make a base so it's easier to make the other fairies. I'd love to see 3D models of all of them. Remember that they have different body types, though. Except for Sherbet and Think, they all get progressively taller and curvier (at least, going by the vs. mode artwork).

I like the GCN fairies, but the original ones were always more appealing to me. The sequel cast always seemed sort of over-designed in comparison. Too much stuff going on. (Except for Rayea, but... she's literally just Flare with a different name.)

I'd be willing to help if you gave a more concrete idea of what we want to make. I'm much more of a coder, anyway.

I have many ideas. Tied for the ones I'd be most passionate about working on, though, are probably 3D platformer and RPG.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd say make a base so it's easier to make the other fairies. I'd love to see 3D models of all of them. Remember that they have different body types, though. Except for Sherbet and Think, they all get progressively taller and curvier (at least, going by the vs. mode artwork).

I like the GCN fairies, but the original ones were always more appealing to me. The sequel cast always seemed sort of over-designed in comparison. Too much stuff going on. (Except for Rayea, but... she's literally just Flare with a different name.)

I have many ideas. Tied for the ones I'd be most passionate about working on, though, are probably 3D platformer and RPG.
I meant pick one of your ideas and stick to it.

Though 3D platformer is beyond me.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
For platformer ideas, would you want to implement puzzle gameplay into if? There's actually a few games that do this very well.
Henry Hatsworth is a good example. Never played it, but the gameplay video looked really unique and interesting. It had the normal side-scrolling mode on the top screen and you could switch to puzzle mode on the bottom screen to kill enemies and boost your powers.

Andrew Morrish's flash game, Super Puzzle Platformer, is a really unique puzzle platformer. The Deluxe Edition remake is available on Steam. Look up some gameplay videos of it, I think you might like it. Doing something like this mixed with Panel De Pon would be cool. Plus there are 9 costumes with unique stats and abilities, which would be perfect to consider for reference since there are exactly 9 fairies in PDP.

These are just a few ideas I think you should consider for the gameplay. If it would be too complex, I understand and hope you can come up with something that is more feasible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, a 3D plattformer is pretty much impossible without a modeller. So that leaves either a 2D plattformer or an RPG as the most feasible choices. Now out of these, my vote would go towards a small, lighthearted RPG.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll have to look into RPG Maker 2000, then.

Gimme a few days to experiment with it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've got RPG Maker VX Ace myself. It's superior to 2000 in many ways, I think, since it allows for higher-resolution graphics, .ogg files, looping on streamed audio, and scripting for customization purposes. If we want this RPG to stand out, I think using an RPG Maker with scripting abilities (XP and later) is the way to go.

I agree that it shouldn't be too in-depth, nothing with hundreds of hours of gameplay and a dramatic storyline. Something lighthearted and silly with a relatively simple plot. More Super Mario RPG, less FF7 (but also less Sticker Star).

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Merry almost-Christmas, everyone. I'm afraid I don't have anything to show right now - I've been taking advantage of my freedom from college - but I thought I'd show a little holiday spirit anyway! ^^

Actually, I lied! I do have something to show. Here's a little Lip sprite I made using some colors from the actual game:

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
It is the end, and Lip didn't make it once again. Make you a reason, she'll never come in the Smash.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It is the end, and Lip didn't make it once again. Make you a reason, she'll never come in the Smash.
You're such a pessimist. Sooner or later Nintendo is going to run out of retro characters to put in Smash, and Lip's time will come. With any luck the series will see a jump-start before then. Maybe I'm being too hopeful, but I'm not going to give up.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I wrote a joke post about how Bayonetta battled her way to the top and took out all the other Smash entrants in the ballot. She threw K. Rool to the sharks, she buried Shovel Knight, she stuffed Shantae back in her lamp, she made Wolf into a fur coat...

But for Lip she just left a tea and biscuit sampler basket at her front door with a letter saying "don't worry, you'll get in next time! -Bayonetta (kiss mark)"

CH4F

Smash Cadet
I wrote a joke post about how Bayonetta battled her way to the top and took out all the other Smash entrants in the ballot. She threw K. Rool to the sharks, she buried Shovel Knight, she stuffed Shantae back in her lamp, she made Wolf into a fur coat...

But for Lip she just left a tea and biscuit sampler basket at her front door with a letter saying "don't worry, you'll get in next time! -Bayonetta (kiss mark)"
That could make a great comic.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I agree, someone really should draw that. It would be adorable. I'd do it myself but I don't trust myself to draw realistic humans well.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I wonder what Lip's earnest reaction to Bayonetta would be.

"Golly~ Miss 'Netta sure is strong! I wish I could flip around and do cool gun-shooty things like her! I wonder how she does it? I'm glad she's around to keep us safe, because some of the monsters she fights are so crazy big and scary I don't know how anyone could ever fight them! Even Mr. Penguin would probably be scared, and he's big and has a hammer and stuff!"

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm imagining Lip saying that with an excited little kid voice and it's... oh geez. Where's the insulin?

I'll have to look into RPG Maker 2000, then.

Gimme a few days to experiment with it.

Any updates on this yet, Fal?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's good! I'd definitely prefer to use VX Ace for this project (mostly because it's the only RPG Maker I own legitimately at the moment) but I can use 2000 or 2003 in a pinch.

Once you guys are ready to start, let's get moving. I want to get a good Panel de Pon fan game out as soon as possible to spread the word about the series and its characters.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Happy New Year, everyone! I'm afraid I don't have anything to show for the occasion, but let's show our love for Panel de Pon even more in 2016. ^^

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What do you guys want to do to get Panel de Pon on its feet as its own independent franchise? (Or at least, work towards that eventual goal. To say that our actions now will have that effect immediately would just be arrogant.) To just let the rest of the world, and hopefully Nintendo as well, know that we panel poppers exist? We're going to have to do something, because otherwise we're looking at another fairy-less decade.

Top Bottom