• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Oh, you guys.
Every time I come in here I always say "I wish I had the determination and faith you guys have."
I truly wish I could do something for you guys. I remember starting my Ask Lip blog on tumblr, but it never really got too far, and I always felt my art was too lousy to do the idea justice. Maybe if we got a collaborative group of artists to make separate blogs for each fairy. I mean, even if it doesn't get us too far known, at least we will have something to do as a community...
And I'm totally down with passing my blog down to a more talented artist, granted they would want to do it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, you guys.
Every time I come in here I always say "I wish I had the determination and faith you guys have."
I truly wish I could do something for you guys. I remember starting my Ask Lip blog on tumblr, but it never really got too far, and I always felt my art was too lousy to do the idea justice. Maybe if we got a collaborative group of artists to make separate blogs for each fairy. I mean, even if it doesn't get us too far known, at least we will have something to do as a community...
And I'm totally down with passing my blog down to a more talented artist, granted they would want to do it.
Lol, what determination and faith? I've already got it pretty well settled that Lip is probably never getting into Smash.

And there's a very slim chance we'll actually get another Panel de Pon game as well. I mean, I think there's a decent chance to get one in the near future, especially on Mobile (that'd be an excellent way to bring it back), but whether or not we'll get the fairies... that's up for grabs, but the more time passes without hearing about a new Panel de Pon game...

D

Deleted member

On the matter of the RPG that was brought up, wasn't there a fan-project that was abandoned a long time ago? I vaguely recall seeing one, but I can't find it anymore. Disregarding this, if someone were to start an RPG Maker project, I wouldn't be opposed to create some graphics for it, although I know we have spriters here that are way more talented.

Anyway, remember this from this summer?
A neckless Mario with a way too small body and wearing a puffy short and short skirt:
Well, it's back:
Guess you could say I'm finishing a few of the things I started quite some time ago. Also I always wanted to see Lip in a 3d plattformer.

This time it even has the right size, heh. Also, while it can't be seen on these small pics, it's an entirely new model.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Looks neat! I always felt the fairies were perfectly suited for... well, any genre, but they'd go really well in a 3D platformer along the lines of DK64 or Banjo-Kazooie.

On the matter of the RPG that was brought up, wasn't there a fan-project that was abandoned a long time ago? I vaguely recall seeing one, but I can't find it anymore. Disregarding this, if someone were to start an RPG Maker project, I wouldn't be opposed to create some graphics for it, although I know we have spriters here that are way more talented.
Are you talking about the Action-RPG thing that was in German? Yeah, that looked pretty great. Shame it's all but dead now, it looked really innovative and fun. I'd like to start up a PDP RPG myself, but I think if I did, it would have to be a collaboration between a bunch of different Panel de Pon fans. I don't think I have the attention span to see it through on my own, and even if I did, I wouldn't be talented enough with RGSS to really give my ideas form.

...so is anyone interested? '';

I remember starting my Ask Lip blog on tumblr, but it never really got too far, and I always felt my art was too lousy to do the idea justice. Maybe if we got a collaborative group of artists to make separate blogs for each fairy. I mean, even if it doesn't get us too far known, at least we will have something to do as a community...
What are you talking about? Your art is adorable. Don't let anyone, not even yourself, convince you otherwise! ^^

Getting a group of fan artists to collaborate on a bunch of different fairy ask blogs is a great idea, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looks neat! I always felt the fairies were perfectly suited for... well, any genre, but they'd go really well in a 3D platformer along the lines of DK64 or Banjo-Kazooie.
A 3d plattformer starring Yoshi, Lip and Pikachu would be pretty fun to see. Except Pikachu would be redesigned and ultimately just be a yellow-colored Mouser. Heh, sorry, I couldn't resist the jab against The Pokemon Company, they've been so bad lately regarding their character use.

Are you talking about the Action-RPG thing that was in German? Yeah, that looked pretty great. Shame it's all but dead now, it looked really innovative and fun.
Yes, that's the one. Although all I can find are three Youtube videos of the soundtrack, nothing about the game itself anymore.

I'd like to start up a PDP RPG myself, but I think if I did, it would have to be a collaboration between a bunch of different Panel de Pon fans. I don't think I have the attention span to see it through on my own, and even if I did, I wouldn't be talented enough with RGSS to really give my ideas form.

...so is anyone interested? '';
I'd love to see a collab like this happen. I think it's best not to go overboard. There's no need for an epic 40 hour RPG, something small would be better for a start. Although to be frank, I'm also not the right person to ask about this, while I do have RPG Maker (Ace, I think), I have never touched it yet, sadly a bit busy with other projects.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A 3d plattformer starring Yoshi, Lip and Pikachu would be pretty fun to see. Except Pikachu would be redesigned and ultimately just be a yellow-colored Mouser. Heh, sorry, I couldn't resist the jab against The Pokemon Company, they've been so bad lately regarding their character use.
Ew no, fairies only, please. : P A friend of mine who also thinks the fairies are well suited for a 3D platformer encouraged me to get an engine demo together so I could pitch it to Nintendo for a spin-off. If only I knew how...

I'd love to see a collab like this happen. I think it's best not to go overboard. There's no need for an epic 40 hour RPG, something small would be better for a start. Although to be frank, I'm also not the right person to ask about this, while I do have RPG Maker (Ace, I think), I have never touched it yet, sadly a bit busy with other projects.
My problem is going all-out to begin with and then having my interest wane as soon as I realize just how many of my ideas are out of my skill range. Something simple and short, 4-5 hours maybe, would suffice. Maybe with a few RGSS scripts to make it not generic.

I actually picked up VX Ace during one of Steam's Humble Bundle sales, so that at least means we're on the same playing field.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just want to finish that game engine I started. Lol, I started late last year, got sidetracked, and haven't touched it sense. I'm an epic fail. Recently I've been focusing on trying to take care of filling out my character profiles for my original storylines rather than working on any programming for personal projects... well, that and doing actual work, which takes up most of my time since, well, a guy's gotta eat...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I just want to finish that game engine I started. Lol, I started late last year, got sidetracked, and haven't touched it sense. I'm an epic fail.
Boy, I know what that pain feels like. > < That's why I proposed a collaborative RPG rather than me setting out and making it on my own. I know that if it's not a collab, I'll get sidetracked by something else eventually and never finish it.

One idea I had for a Panel de Pon RPG, although - for reasons that will quickly become obvious - it's really meant more for the 3DS than RPG Maker, is a system where, in-battle, you have it set up so that the characters fight on the top screen and on the bottom screen is a game of Puzzle League. Instead of scoring points for clearing panels, you get a certain amount of "Color Points" for each clear that increases as you score larger chains or combos. You would use these color points alongside the traditional MP for attacks you can't use any other way. (If you Game Over'd on the bottom screen, you wouldn't be able to play again to earn more Color Points either for the rest of the battle or for a set amount of time.)

D

Deleted member

And here it is textured, though not yet imported. Afterwards it's time for the head, but I will say one thing in advance, if hte game crashes because it's getting too high-poly for SM64DS, I will abandon it, I don't think I can sacrifice much more detail without turning it into crap. Lip is, truth to be told, fairly annoying in that regard, you have all the accessory like the ribbon, the jewels, the earrings, etc. Even the short skirt makes it so you can't save polys on the legs.

Afterwards I think I'll do a 2k-3k model of her, I really dislike that old model that was imported into Brawl. It's ~10k, which is way too high, I can get rid of a lot while still making it look good, maybe even better. I was still fairly inexperienced and way too eager to finally get the model done that I didn't really try to cut the size down.

And then I'll dabble with Unity for a bit, see if I can get something like a 3d plattformer thing going on. Not a full game, mind you, just a test field. Maybe also finally get back to that Alice model, though truth to be told, I'm kinda sick of all the skirts and dresses by now. so who knows... Sorry smashkirby.

Ew no, fairies only, please. : P
But I... I like Yoshi.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Boy, I know what that pain feels like. > < That's why I proposed a collaborative RPG rather than me setting out and making it on my own. I know that if it's not a collab, I'll get sidetracked by something else eventually and never finish it.

One idea I had for a Panel de Pon RPG, although - for reasons that will quickly become obvious - it's really meant more for the 3DS than RPG Maker, is a system where, in-battle, you have it set up so that the characters fight on the top screen and on the bottom screen is a game of Puzzle League. Instead of scoring points for clearing panels, you get a certain amount of "Color Points" for each clear that increases as you score larger chains or combos. You would use these color points alongside the traditional MP for attacks you can't use any other way. (If you Game Over'd on the bottom screen, you wouldn't be able to play again to earn more Color Points either for the rest of the battle or for a set amount of time.)
I just don't know what to do with a Panel de Pon RPG... How will the story work? What enemies do they fight? We'd also need the areas to look like the areas of Panel de Pon and I'm not sure how easy that would be to configure. There's so many things to consider.

That's why I'd rather just do a Panel de Pon clone engine instead and try to replicate the gameplay.

D

Deleted member

Well, standard enemies might be a bit of a problem, but I don't think story or bosses are difficult to come up with. I mean, unlike, let's say, Tetris, the Panepon games do have a story after all, so why not retell them in RPG format? Going back to standard enemies, might be worth a look at how Madou Monogatari handled them, as that was a cutesy dungeon crawler/RPG turned puzzle game, so pretty much the opposite.

In other news, Nintendo Badge Arcade is great. Being able to change badges you don't like into different ones is pretty nice. Add a neat custom background and your homescreen can look even better. Thank you, hacking community. Also yes, I used Furil for a change of pace, heh.

Anyway, I apologize for not having to show anything new Mario related, didn't have much time today.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I just don't know what to do with a Panel de Pon RPG... How will the story work? What enemies do they fight? We'd also need the areas to look like the areas of Panel de Pon and I'm not sure how easy that would be to configure. There's so many things to consider.

That's why I'd rather just do a Panel de Pon clone engine instead and try to replicate the gameplay.
Half the fun of making a Panel de Pon RPG, I think, is in the world building. Designing new enemies, new characters, exploring the main characters deeper, fleshing them out. It's exciting to me. ^^

D

Deleted member

Oh, look, working textures and animations, both which look like crap. The import certainly messed up the texture quality (gonna have to manually fix it later) and the animations look not quite right yet, there's a lot of clipping. God I hate skirts, heh.

CH4F

Smash Cadet
A lot of you guys want to have a big Panel de Pon game, like a JRPG or a 3D Platformer when I just want a new PDP with the same gameplay and nothing more that Dr. Luigi had. And I already know that even this little game haven't a lot of chance to be made, when franchises that deserves 10 times a big game, like Metroid or F-Zero, have less chance than that.

That's cute.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Different strokes for different folks. I'm most interested in the characters of Panel de Pon, so I wouldn't have a problem at all with an RPG. And if an official one won't get made anytime soon, then we can always make one ourselves. (Just putting it out there again...)

D

Deleted member

Holy passive-aggressiveness Batman, we are just expressing what we would love to see. No one here said they don't want a new, big Metroid or F-Zero game, but now we aren't even allowed to dream without snide remarks like that? Not to mention, I bet everyone here would be fine if we would "just" get a new puzzle game.

For the record, I love F-Zero and have been hoping for a new game for years, but that doesn't mean I also can't think about other franchises and what could potentially work for them.

Also, as mentioned above:
Different strokes for different folks.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm really not a fan of the snarkiness, either. The last thing a fan base like this needs is to be fractured and factionalized by snide remarks and arguments. >>

One of my friends had an interesting idea for a Panel de Pon platformer, 3D or otherwise, that would involve manipulating blocks in some way as an homage to the origins of the franchise. The concept sounds neat to me - like Super Mario Bros. 2 in 3D, almost. I think I'd get the most enjoyment out of a game that emphasized each fairy's individual strengths and abilities, though, like Donkey Kong 64 (one of my favorite 3D "collectathons"). It's just a shame I lack the programming knowledge to put these ideas into reality.

D

Deleted member

I figured after over a week people would be interested in a status update? Fact of matter is, there is none. I'd love to do some more stuff, but it seems my PC is dieing. So yeah, don't expect anything new in quite a while.

On the bright side, I saved everything on an external HDD, so it's not like anything's lost.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Take as long as you need. Your work's amazing, but tech issues happen to the best of us, I guess!
Maybe once you start working on that 3D platformer, I could give some of my ideas to see if you'd be able to implement them. I have plenty of them. I just don't know how to express them most of the time.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The lack of activity in here makes me sad.

Of course, there's not a whole lot I can do about it, especially at the moment. Finals are coming up in college land, and one way or another this will be my last year here, so... yeah, I've been busy. Wanting to support your favorite unloved game series but not being able to is suffering.

A thought: I keep seeing Undertale artwork everywhere (a mild exaggeration at best!). I've played it, and it's a fine game, but I seriously want to steal some of its popularity and put it in Panel de Pon. Can you imagine the crossover fanart?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At this point, I would just wait for Nintendo to announce the new PDP title rather than keep hoping Panel de Pon will happen. I don't know what happens behind Nintendo's nor Intelligent System's studios to be reasonably hoped for it. I gave up hoping for a new FtFtBt, I'll just wait to see what happens.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Well, it's the end of the road for Smash DLC Guys. With this final direct coming in about a week, we can only just cross our fingers that somehow, through some amazing aligning of stars, that Lip will make it in. ^^;
Buckle up, it's gonna be bumpy.

CH4F

Smash Cadet
I didn't think about it until now, but I forgot the "wow" factor that got DLC characters in Sm4sh. Returning characters are easy, because they had mains before. Characters like Ryu or Cloud is easier because of the fanbase. But I'm afraid that with Lip, we're going to have a lot of "who's this girl?" and "is that a loli? holy****nintendo".
It'll fit better as an unloack character in the disc than a DLC. Like Game & Watch or Duck Hunt.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I didn't think about it until now, but I forgot the "wow" factor that got DLC characters in Sm4sh. Returning characters are easy, because they had mains before. Characters like Ryu or Cloud is easier because of the fanbase. But I'm afraid that with Lip, we're going to have a lot of "who's this girl?" and "is that a loli? holy****nintendo".
It'll fit better as an unloack character in the disc than a DLC. Like Game & Watch or Duck Hunt.
I didn't. Maybe in next Smash she can qualify as "retro" or could get in if we get another Panel de Pon, but Lip's just... yeah...

Some people don't even think Isaac is big enough for Smash DLC at this point, who had two very popular games and appeared in a third that wasn't quite as good, and has much, much bigger support in general.

D

Deleted member

Well, it's the end of the road for Smash DLC Guys..
I really wish people would stop saying this, not just here, but countless other places, too. There is no confirmation whatsoever that this will be the last DLC we're getting. All it means is that this will be the last Smash centric Direct, in no way does it confirm that there won't be new content announcements afterwards, for example, during standard Nintendo Directs. Right now it's a case of so many people jumping the gun again.

I'm not saying there will be new announcements, but I'm saying that it could go either way.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Cloud wasn't announced in a Smash direct. Neither was Ryu, if I'm remembering right. There could easily be more DLC characters and stages announced after this.

Not saying Lip would be one of them, but anything is possible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Cloud wasn't announced in a Smash direct. Neither was Ryu, if I'm remembering right. There could easily be more DLC characters and stages announced after this.

Not saying Lip would be one of them, but anything is possible.
Ryu was announced in a Smash Direct. It was a mini Direct, but it was still Smash specific.

Lucas and Mewtwo's trailer was not in a Smash Direct, though Mewtwo was technically announced in one.

That being said, do recall that we got a Smash Direct right before E3 last year. That's not happening again. E3 is definitely the cutoff, but more likely the one-year anniversary of the Smash Ballot starting.

In addition, Lip would make far more sense in a Smash Direct than a regular Direct, because she'd be alongside characters who do bring the hype, as opposed to being solo.

The best hope we have for Lip right now is a new Panel de Pon game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, if Lip's getting announced at all, it's alongside a character or characters who is/are more likely to generate hype worldwide, such as Wolf, Inkling, or Isaac (or Ridley, but I've pretty much given up on him being playable at this point). A character who's only really known outside of Japan via Super Smash Bros. would pretty much have to be, heheh.

Although this is probably blisteringly obvious, I'm hoping for a repeat of the Fire Emblem incident where Panel de Pon being featured in Super Smash Bros. with playable representation increases its popularity worldwide...

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think you guys are being way too pessimistic. You never know, maybe Lip is more popular in Japan than she is here, and has a significantly higher placement in the Japanese ballot. After all, this vote is worldwide, not just limited to the Americas.

I don't imagine Lip is the complete unknown that you guys are making her out to be. She's at least popular enough to warrant having stickers in Brawl, and her wand is an actual item usable by the cast since Melee. So you can't really say that they haven't acknowledged her at all. Even Sakurai says he wants people to give her a chance. At the very least she could be getting a Mii costume.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think you guys are being way too pessimistic. You never know, maybe Lip is more popular in Japan than she is here, and has a significantly higher placement in the Japanese ballot. After all, this vote is worldwide, not just limited to the Americas.

I don't imagine Lip is the complete unknown that you guys are making her out to be. She's at least popular enough to warrant having stickers in Brawl, and her wand is an actual item usable by the cast since Melee. So you can't really say that they haven't acknowledged her at all. Even Sakurai says he wants people to give her a chance. At the very least she could be getting a Mii costume.
Mii costume I think is the best case scenario. I can see her getting a Mii costume. I wish she at least had a trophy already, though...

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
She may not have popularity, or relevence, or worldwide appeal, or importance to Nintendo or importance to gaming, or a future,

but at least she isn't De'Mille.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What are you talking about? Lip's got a future. It's just not realized by... anyone really.
Your avatar's adorable, by the way. Can I get the original version?

I looked around when the polls were going on and Lip didn't seem to be that popular in Japan, at least not as a Smash ballot nominee. I'd assume she got a bit more votes over there since more people know who she is. We'll see, though. If she's one of Sakurai's favorites, that's a point in her favor. A small one, but it's better than nothing.

Mii costume I think is the best case scenario. I can see her getting a Mii costume. I wish she at least had a trophy already, though...
I agree. Panel de Pon really needs some more representation already. One item (that doesn't even mention her past Melee) isn't really going to cut it anymore. I'm actually at the point where I think I wouldn't mind a Mii outfit (if it means my Lip gunner would finally have accurate clothes...). Still rooting for a fighter, of course.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And the final DLC fighters are the FE: Fates avatar (oh boy, another swordsman) and Bayonetta.

So that's how it ends. One item. One song. Nothing else.

No Lip fighter. No Lip trophy. Not even a goddamn Lip Mii costume.

What a slap in the face. Way to make us feel loved and wanted, Nintendo.

Well, we tried. Only five more years, I guess...

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well, that's just how it is. Don't sweat it too much. To be honest I was worried it was going to be someone universally terrible like King K. Rool or Waluigi.

Don't treat it so personally, Lip wasn't singled out to get "slapped in the face", lots of characters got burned on this. You think people who voted for Banjo or Shantae aren't salty about losing to Bayonetta? If there was only going to be one winner, then that character would have to be way above and beyond everybody else in votes. So there could be no ambiguity.

Since they were only planning on doing just one character, this means the character couldn't just win in a single region. They would have to be the overall #1 choice WORLDWIDE, overall. That fact alone places a crapload of characters out of the running.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It doesn't mean I'm not still salty about the low PDP content in this game. As much as Nintendo seemingly hates/is ashamed of Panel de Pon (because hey, let's not kid ourselves), it's a part of their history, and at this point it deserves more acknowledgement than just one infinitely-spawning item and one song.

Unless they're treating SSB as an extension of their advertising branch at this point. Given how the final Smash Direct seemingly rated every game to appear in the trailer and not just SSB4, it wouldn't surprise me.

(...You better not have just called K. Rool an awful character, buster.)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And the final DLC fighters are the FE: Fates avatar (oh boy, another swordsman) and Bayonetta.

So that's how it ends. One item. One song. Nothing else.

No Lip fighter. No Lip trophy. Not even a goddamn Lip Mii costume.

What a slap in the face. Way to make us feel loved and wanted, Nintendo.

Well, we tried. Only five more years, I guess...
Its not really a slap in the face considering how Lip has had nothing for years. She's not even been in her own series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's a slap in the face for anyone who got their hopes up irrationally high.

I've been thinking lately. Nintendo clearly isn't interested in doing anything with the Panel de Pon characters right now. How about we do something with them to fill the void? It doesn't have to a puzzle game, it could be an RPG or an action-adventure or a platformer.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yes, that's what I was referring to. I'm personally not going to get my hopes up at all, this time. Not after what happened with SSB4.

I've noticed something. Why is it whenever I propose that the Panepon fandom actually band together to do something, I get a few "likes" at most? Why doesn't anyone want to really do anything in here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom