• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Hong

The Strongest
Not sure how feasible this would be - it would probably seem like special treatment to some people, after all - but we could ask a mod to move the thread into the general gaming discussion and retitle it to "Panel de Pon General".
Sure. @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ has only to say the word when the time comes. Can repurpose the thread title and the first post, and I can have it moved there when it's ready.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Don't get too bummed just yet. We don't even know if those pictures are real, and there's evidence pointing to them being fake (UI isn't colorful enough and is inconsistent in places, Shulk looks edited from a picture of Little Mac, Wario is lifted from a Brawl trailer).

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Don't get too bummed just yet. We don't even know if those pictures are real, and there's evidence pointing to them being fake (UI isn't colorful enough and is inconsistent in places, Shulk looks edited from a picture of Little Mac, Wario is lifted from a Brawl trailer).
Posted this in a Peach thread
Guys...

This Reddit thread has all the evidence you need to put yet another leak to rest http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2e1rpo/psa_the_leak_is_fake_proof_inside/

D

Deleted member

Not buying the "leak" for reasons everyone else has already stated in the news discussion.

Anyway, I actually wanted to start Takamaru, but because i'm feeling too well, I decided to make some Lip recolors instead, because they are easier to make... or so I thought:
Yeah... they are horrible, I should just stick to models and leave textures to the experts. Now feel free to laugh at my pathetic attempt, haha.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Not buying the "leak" for reasons everyone else has already stated in the news discussion.

Anyway, I actually wanted to start Takamaru, but because i'm feeling too well, I decided to make some Lip recolors instead, because they are easier to make... or so I thought:
Yeah... they are horrible, I should just stick to models and leave textures to the experts. Now feel free to laugh at my pathetic attempt, haha.
Nonsense they look fine. Practice makes perfect~
If (WHEN) Lip is playable I demand they have references to every fairy as palette swap.

D

Deleted member

Nah, they look bad, no point in trying to sugarcoat it. But I don't think having every fairy as an alt would be needed, some of them would probably look pretty much identical without some slight model tweaks, and probably even then:
Thiana -> Windy (just change the hair)
Elias -> Selene (again, just change the hair)
Neris -> Ruby (worst offender)
And we've all seen Sonic and how nice barely distinguishable costumes can be.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not just the hair. Neris and Seren/Selene have almond-shaped eyes instead of the round eyes Elias and Ruby have.

And the palette swaps don't look bad at all, stop beating yourself up. ^^

D

Deleted member

Eh, you're kinda missing the point. How noticeable are the eyes during combat? That's why I brought up Sonic, costumes should be easily distinguishable from each other... eyes do not count towards this. As I said, barring little details, the costumes would be too similiar. Maybe I'm looking too much on the "competitive" side and not on the "fun" side, for lack of better words.

And if you change the eyes, it wouldn't really be Lip anymore, haha.

Also I genuinely think those textures look like crap. They were rushed, because, quite frankly, I enjoy making those models, but not so much making textures, that's why I don't bother making nice looking textures. I haven't even made proper texture sheets for Alice yet, exactly because of this reason.

Also unrelated, but I'll probably make a Lip model that's a mix between the existing two and call this the final model then. If I weren't ill, I would've started with Takamaru already, but I guess destiny doesn't want me to move on from Lip just yet, hehe.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Even if the leak is fake, Lip is still super unlikely.
No one's denying that much. It would be great to see her, but it's not likely. You still support the Prince of Sable even despite his deconfirmation, after all. There's always the hope she'll show up in Smash Bros. one of these days.

Last edited:

Blucas

Smash Apprentice
I browse 4chan and I was during the leak, it was a bit suspicious too coming from a person claming to be ESRB
Also I'll drop this
"I took the liberty to edit it a little bit to show how similar these two pictures are. It's not perfect but it gives an indication on how similar these two pictures are. And for anyone saying that it could be a model re-use, hop off, that's bull****. Each character has a production-quality model for Smash that they pose for character portraits. There are no re-used assets from other games.

My point about all of this is how a leaker has the potential take a picture and modify it heavily, tweaking the proportions so that it can be differentiated from other existing art. Especially this leaker, all he needed to do was a minor job because his low quality cell phone photos are able to mask any imperfections. As I was modifying this it was really suspicious as to how these two faces matched up so well with each other. The fact that their poses in both photos are hands-on-hip photos also raises some questions."

I also found this

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Calling it now:

Not that it means anything for Lip's chances, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright guys, this truely is the final model now:
And for those who want a direct comparison of the 3 models:
Now I'm done, haha.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Aww Tai, she looks so adorable! Great work! ^^

(I'll have to learn how to add bones to a model at some point...)

D

Deleted member

Now I'm done, haha.
I guess I lied? Didn't feel like starting Takamaru, so I made a quick edit of Lip's Stick and made a closed version, nothing big.
Also, not visible, but I split Lip's big texture sheet into multiple smaller ones.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
So with Dr. Mario potentially back as a puzzle rep, and Duck Hunt possibly showing up as a retro rep, things are looking a little grim here, aren't they?

There's still time to debunk the whole thing, I suppose. And you never know about Assist Trophies.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There's still time to debunk the whole thing, I suppose. And you never know about Assist Trophies.
Or the next Smash Bros. game, whenever that is, or Project M, or any of numerous other fan projects. If we play our cards right then sooner or later we'll get Lip in Smash, just not now (probably!).

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
So with Dr. Mario potentially back as a puzzle rep, and Duck Hunt possibly showing up as a retro rep, things are looking a little grim here, aren't they?

Guys...

This Reddit thread has all the evidence you need to put yet another leak to rest http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2e1rpo/psa_the_leak_is_fake_proof_inside/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2e1rpo/psa_the_leak_is_fake_proof_inside/cjv8fq7

Now let's get back onto the subject of Lip because I don't want yet another warning.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't know how the heck we're going to get Lip in the next Smash Bros. game if Sakurai apparently considers Dr. Mario to be the One True Puzzle Rep. It'll take nothing short of a miracle, but they do happen, don't they?

Of course, to get Lip in Smash Bros., we'd first have to convince Nintendo to stop trying to bury Panel de Pon, and we all know that will never happen without possibly traveling to Japan and speaking with them directly... IIRC, that's what it took to get EarthBound on the Virtual Console. Even then, Shigesato Itoi is one man. To pull this off we'd have to get an entire corporation to agree with us. It's a lot of work, and I won't say it will be worth it in the end since it probably won't be, but I just want to see Lip and friends again.

...But I'm just talking gibberish. It's nothing I could ever to in my lifetime, I simply don't have the gumption or the clout or the knowledge of Japanese. I hope someone will at least do something to let Nintendo how much we love Panel de Pon and miss Lip in the near future.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Alright guys, this truely is the final model now:
And for those who want a direct comparison of the 3 models:
Now I'm done, haha.
They are all awesome!
I want to make some critics, but don't get it wrong, I think that this work is amazing and my critics aren't meant to be complaints, just some personal impressions and feedback.

I'll start with the flower.
The best flower to me is in the first model (from the comparison picture, the first model on the left).
The boots also are perfect in the first model (assuming that this is a Brawl model and everything is a bit more "realistic").
The skirt, I think that it's better in the third model; it simply look better, even if is different from the artwork. Maybe it would be better if you make it a little longer, like in the other two models, and the additional layer that you made in the first model is a good idea. (smash always adds lots of additional details to the characters, for an example look at Peach).
The belt is better in the third model, the metallic part added in the first model is a bit unfitting and makes it less girly.
The beads on her tail are a bit too big. I agree that 2 big beads are better than 4 small, but I think that they're way too big.
The shirt is good, but looks like if something is still missing... maybe it's just because of the textures, but I think that the shirt looks a bit bland compared to the rest of the model (i'd try adding some more details, like for the skirt of the third model).
Also, the sleeves of the shirt are a bit strange: I think that the upper part should be a little "puffy" too, in a similar way as they are on Peach's dress (look at the 1 picture in this link for an example)
Everything else is perfect!

I want to point out that this is just my feedback and I'm not saying that you "should" or "must" modify the model, they're just some suggestions, you can ignore them if you want.

It would be awesome if Lip will become part of Project M thanks to this model, good job!

D

Deleted member

All this talk about the leak makes Lip angry:

Just look at what you guys did...

In all seriousness now, I did some expressions and the opportunity was too good to let it go to waste, haha.

I want to make some critics, but don't get it wrong, I think that this work is amazing and my critics aren't meant to be complaints, just some personal impressions and feedback.
There's nothing wrong with critic, as long as it's not something baseless like "you suck" and the likes. But let's see, eh? For convenience, I'll just reply in colored text inside the quote.

I'll start with the flower.
The best flower to me is in the first model (from the comparison picture, the first model on the left).
I know, and that's why it's the final model, as I call it.

The boots also are perfect in the first model (assuming that this is a Brawl model and everything is a bit more "realistic").
Boots are basically the same of the first and third model, just the flower is different. The boots were planned like this from the beginning and only the so-called "classic" model (middle one) has different ones.

The skirt, I think that it's better in the third model; it simply look better, even if is different from the artwork. Maybe it would be better if you make it a little longer, like in the other two models, and the additional layer that you made in the first model is a good idea. (smash always adds lots of additional details to the characters, for an example look at Peach).
I actually prefer the simplicity of the first skirt while still making it appear more modern with the petticoat underneath. As for making the third skirt longer, you might not see it due to the angle, but it's already knee long. Any longer and I'd say it would be too long for a Lip model.

The belt is better in the third model, the metallic part added in the first model is a bit unfitting and makes it less girly.
Disagreed, I don't think a belt buckle on a belt makes something or someone appear less girly.

The beads on her tail are a bit too big. I agree that 2 big beads are better than 4 small, but I think that they're way too big.
Looking at official art (I went by my instinct and terrible memory when I made them), I agree they are a bit too big, but I wouldn't exactly say "way too big". Looking at artwork, they are roughly half as tall as the ponytail...tail. I'll shrink them down a bit.

The shirt is good, but looks like if something is still missing... maybe it's just because of the textures, but I think that the shirt looks a bit bland compared to the rest of the model (i'd try adding some more details, like for the skirt of the third model).
Suggestions? If it's textures, I already said textures aren't my strength and I'll just concentrate on the model. Also I don't think I'll add anything to the shirt either, the polygon count is already 13.5k (~14k with both Lip's Sticks). It's best to never exceed 12k, although higher polys can work in Smash, too, but I don't wanna go overboard.

Also, the sleeves of the shirt are a bit strange: I think that the upper part should be a little "puffy" too, in a similar way as they are on Peach's dress (look at the 1 picture in this link for an example)
I'll see what I can do without making it look weird.

Everything else is perfect!
Thanks.

I want to point out that this is just my feedback and I'm not saying that you "should" or "must" modify the model, they're just some suggestions, you can ignore them if you want.
You talk like feedback wouldn't be appreciated, haha. I'm not one of those ultra-defensive people who can't take critism. But it's 9pm already, so don't expect to see anything soon. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

It would be awesome if Lip will become part of Project M thanks to this model, good job!
I still don't get the fixation on Project M everyone has, a simple model import for vanilla Brawl would be more than enough for me already. It's better than nothing, at least.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

In all seriousness now, I did some expressions and the opportunity was too good to let it go to waste, haha.
Okay, now she really looks like an MMD model. ^^

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
All this discussion of the Lip model made me want to try my hand at making one too! ....Eventually. I even drew out a reference!

italsogavemeareasontodrawliplikecrazy

For fun, I did this.
On screen K.Os are one of my favorite things about the new smash, so if Lip was in I'd imagine hers would look something like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It just makes me more upset we're not likely to see Lip at all... -_- I mean, she should at LEAST be an AT...

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
This must be the REAL reason Sakurai hasn't added Lip.

All of her opponents would die of cuteness as soon as they see her. SSS-Tier Lip confirmed.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
too much cuteness can kill a man

im already dead
Sorry to hear that. Cuteness is my life force.

On the subject of the model, I agree with pikmin that the eyes seem a little wide. Where did you get the face textures from?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

There's nothing wrong with critic, as long as it's not something baseless like "you suck" and the likes. But let's see, eh? For convenience, I'll just reply in colored text inside the quote.
Thanks, I'm happy that you appreciated the critics!
I played it safe because on the web you never know how people can react, so I wrote a lot about feedback and things.

I have no suggestions for the shirt, since I also don't know what makes it look strange compared to the rest of the model... maybe it's just me. Anyway, I think that if you're using the skirt from the first model, it would not even be a problem, since it's simpler and suits better with the simplicity of the shirt.
My only suggestion was about the sleeves, but really, I don't know how it would turn out.

But it's 9pm already, so don't expect to see anything soon. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.
Tomorrow? That's extremely soon!! only few hours! Take your time, don't worry!

I still don't get the fixation on Project M everyone has, a simple model import for vanilla Brawl would be more than enough for me already. It's better than nothing, at least.
Yes, I'd be fine with just a model import too, but being part of Project M would give a lot more of visibility to the character, that's all. I read somewhere that Lip is one of the character that may be added into the mod sometime, that's why.

I can't wait to try the character in Smash!
Are you planning to make a custom moveset also? never mind, you said simple model import XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, I only have one thing to mention, I won't change the eyes, no matter how often they might still be brought up.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't have a problem with the eyes, they're still cute after all.

D

Deleted member

Are you planning to make a custom moveset also? never mind, you said simple model import XD
No, I said multiple times I'm not gonna do anything and this is the last time I'll answer this question. If others want to do something with it, they can go ahead.

That's fine, but I'm still curious as to where you got them.
The entire head (sans ears) are from her. Basically, when it comes to models, I take most of the stuff from either Brawl or the Neptunia series.

D

Deleted member

Awefully quiet today, haha. But as I said yesterday (or rather, two days ago at the time of writing, sorry for being late, but I was hoping for at least one reply to avoid double posting...) I would touch up a few things on the model, namely the jewels in the hair and the sleeves:
Also I replaced the flowers on her boots with lower poly ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom