• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Promotion to Great Lord - Marth Strategy Notes

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Not even for mix up's? I mean I know the land lag is awful, because I main Falco but is it really that bad?

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Is there any point to using Dair now, or should it be avoided like a plague?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Vs any character that lacks a threatening up B or the angle they are recovering from is obvious, I would call that an easy spike. Also reading habits and patterns can tell you when to attempt it.

Yes if you miss you are vulnerable. That's most moves in any fighting game. Doesn't mean the attack is unusable.

Grass

Smash Lord
Vs any character that lacks a threatening up B or the angle they are recovering from is obvious, I would call that an easy spike. Also reading habits and patterns can tell you when to attempt it.

Yes if you miss you are vulnerable. That's most moves in any fighting game. Doesn't mean the attack is unusable.
didn't say it was unusable, I just said it leaves you vulnerable. Because your edge game is important if you're playing Smash 4 Marth. If you have bad edge game in general, I wouldn't recommend attempting spiking. That's all I'm trying to say.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Not even for mix up's? I mean I know the land lag is awful, because I main Falco but is it really that bad?
Perhaps you can use this to defend yourself on stage if the opponent doesn't see it coming (as the hitbox starts from behind and is rather instant). If you do plan to use it, be sure to FF to cut down some of the recovery from it during its usage. I know a few Marths and Lucinas that do use it on stage to protect themselves as a mixup, but you have to be sparing in its usage. Otherwise, the DAir spike is incredibly risky to use if your opponent is more defensive in nature and have either the speed, projectile, or reach to punish you for it.

To follow up on Emblem Lord's point, if you see opponents going for a recovery and you can read it, you can go for the DAir and try to spike them using the disjoint reach of the sword. There are also two ways to setup into the spike (FAir > DAir or Air DB1 > DAir), but both are easily escapable even to those who don't quite know what you're going for. Though its good to know they're there just in case; never know when they will come in handy xD

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Against really defensive opponents on stage, using Dair is just too dangerous. I would do what people have said and use it as a mix up every now and then but if you see that it gets punished immediately then just don't use it on stage.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I see, thanks alot guys.
I'll be sure to be smart with it. I try to space it on stage to get the hitbox that will cause the opponent go sideways off stage.
Not really sure if that can be used as a strategy with humans, but I did a bit of practicing with CPU's, it kills as well.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Ok, I see, thanks alot guys.
I'll be sure to be smart with it. I try to space it on stage to get the hitbox that will cause the opponent go sideways off stage.
Not really sure if that can be used as a strategy with humans, but I did a bit of practicing with CPU's, it kills as well.
Give it your best shot dude ^^ lookin forward to hearing some results from human opponent practice. It can be used on humans, as it has been done to me a few times for sure. As long as you keep doing well with the times you choose to use it, you'll be fine.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Meh, I get some mileage out of it. Ontop of getting some sick spikes now and again, using it off stage at higher percents can mean a tipper hit popping your opponents sort of diagonally into the blastzone.

Using it while above the stage can be dangerous, and shouldn't be done too much, but it can be useful there. I find myself landing with dair every once in a while, and I don't /always/ feel like an idiot for it. Using it to stage-spike at higher percents coupled with some rage can be pretty useful as long as they don't tech. It is a good way to catch people who throw out laggy horizontal attacks and punish them, and possibly get a free follow up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Use it either for edgeguarding bad/predictable recoveries as EL said, or sometimes throw it out while landing to remind your opponent that you can attack them occasionally. I sometimes get mileage out of hitting people with D-air when they try to juggle me, because it does have the ability to outspace a lot of juggle moves for pretty good damage. Don't abuse it obviously, just know that it's a fair punish option. Especially handy against opponents that don't have good grab range.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you fair people into the ground and they don't tech, dair is one of the reliable fast fall "finisher" options (and on tech stand ups too).

12-14%, usually hits them in a way that's kinda good for you (heck you have less lag than up tilting from the ground with it). If you meteor hitbox them and they tech it has various results (try to grab/roll away/shield) and if they don't you can get up smash or fsmash tippers ;)

Confidence in your hit confirms required !_!

Last edited:

Codester

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheCodester87
3DS FC
0130-1912-9132
One funny tip I want to throw out there that I'm sure many people are already aware of, but I have had quite a few Link match ups lately online, when he is projectile spamming (and I got this off several times in the same match) if you sh over the boomerang, of course expect a follow up attack,try to hang out on ground level and charge your side smash or shield breaker, the return boomerang pulls you right to him and if you aren't awful at spacing you should tip him enciting a salty rage on their end, shield breaker may be more safe due to the range far surpassing his incase hes thinking he's going to deliver a smash attack himself. Obviously Very observant players will sh over you, but you would be surprised how much it catches people off guard, I took second stock several times with different links doing this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom