• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M's lifespan

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
So here is my opinion: With more development from the PMBR and so on for the time where PM is still developed more players will play it. The final version will give it a last big boost because many Melee players that dont like the changing process might get interested then.
I don't think it will last as long as Melee but only because I think before 2025 there will be a new version, Project MM or Project: Project M or whatever... (lol @ these suggestions)
Maybe technology also steps further to create a new generation of video games and I at least hope that there will be a project m-esque game in it, probably based on Nintendo's Smash 5 or 6 then.
Of this Project M itself, I would say it will reach its maximum player number in 3-5 years.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
It's not that I am being pessimistic, it is simply my prediction. I know that Row and Mewtwo took over 700 hours for each character, and there 5 more characters that still need to be made. With all of those characters plus adding the remaining melee physics (light shielding, and maybe the grapple recoveries), I think it will take a long time to fully bring the game to perfection in which all melee fans would admit that project m is better than melee.
It seems like a fair prediction then. With the recent advent of importing animations I think new characters from scratch might not take as much time, there still a few things to work on, but it's definitely faster than animating only in brawlbox as Haloedhero impressively did with mewtwo.

Although with coders like dantarion, magus, bero, IE, shortfuse and wiiztec who recently entered our team, I'd not be surpised if we are able to reach our final version sooner than expected. It is amazing what they all have managed to do up to now.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
to be perfectly honest, if smash4 isn't complete dog butt (as in, is only marginally better than, or worse than brawl), pm is probably in its heyday right now.

if smash4 is brawl2.0, then people who get past the shininess and become disappointed in the game will move to melee (back to melee?) or into pm, for the new experience it can provide.

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
I see PM Only growing everytime there is a big update (I.E. 2.5 or 3.0 Where there is new characters to play in the mod). PM is a really good mod in my opinion, I think it's an extraordinary improvement to Brawl competitive-wise with all the mechanics melee has imported into brawl to make one big mash-up of what we call "Project M". In short I don't think it's gonna die soon when it's only growing. Hence PM is what I main competitively because it just feels so good to play. I'm not disrespecting Brawl in any way or form, it's just a very different smash game that is fine if there's people who play it competitively, it's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
It's just when I try to play a little brawl after playing a bunch of PM I just think "How can a fighting game be so slow?" And then I go back to PM it's so refreshing compared to Brawl. Just having the good old faster pace and not tripping all over the place.

Ninjamo

Smash Cadet
I can't wait to hear all the "I don't like SSB4, it's too fast" complaints from people who loved Brawl. Then will arise an independent team of programmers who mod SSB4 to add floatiness, tripping, and extra frames of input lag.

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
That would be awful if that were to actually happen. I really hope SSB4 is much better than Brawl, I plan to get the 3ds version so I hope that it's good on that.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
That would be awful if that were to actually happen. I really hope SSB4 is much better than Brawl, I plan to get the 3ds version so I hope that it's good on that.
....yeahhhhh I don't give much hope to the 3ds version.

Even if it was as good or even better than project M or Melee on the 3ds version it would fall short because of the platform.

That would be top trolling material. Best smash game mechanically on the 3ds while the Wii u one is just slightly faster brawl.

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice

Even if it was as good or even better than project M or Melee on the 3ds version it would fall short because of the platform.

That would be top trolling material. Best smash game mechanically on the 3ds while the Wii u one is just slightly faster brawl.
That would be one of the most cruel irony the smash fans would have. I don't plan to get a wii u or ssb4 when it comes out, I'll be playing PM. Which is good to see if it ends up being "Melee good" In a sense or just slow as brawl.

smashmachine

Smash Lord

This would imply that Sakurai even knows how to develop a deep game anymore.
I'm not convinced of that, to say the least.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Most scientists don't get as much flak as Sakurai when they accidentally figure out something.

I mean I get the #HateSakuraiBandwagon but jesus.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I think its not the problem that the scientists figures it out on accident in your metaphore. Its that he does everything to not discover something again when people have hope in him.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Most scientists don't get as much flak as Sakurai when they accidentally figure out something.

Honestly, I've learned to not mind Sakurai too much. Sure he likes to be a bit of a troll, and he doesn't want to cater to competitive, but whatever. It's his game, he's allowed to do what he wants with it, and they still end up fun to play, even if not necessarily fun to play competitively.

Rongunshu

Smash Apprentice
The thing about melee was that it's on the balance of casual and competitive, it can be played both ways and be very enjoyable. That's how I see it did so well. Brawl just seemed to focus on the more casual side and it being a game anyone can " Pick up and play" and it'll be quite enjoyable. While melee on the other hand, would take a bit longer to get better at while being very addictive also which is great. Sakurai wanted brawl to be way more on the casual side which it did, I'm glad we actually have a melee that Sakurai has made.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828

The thing is, he figured out NO ONE likes the way he made zoning work in that one game.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

Scientist try to recreate accidental discoveries so they can solidify them into scientific facts
sakurai was just like "loool nawp not doin that again"

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I don't think we need to worry about it too much. All good things must come to an end, but I think we'll have our fill by the time it's said and done. Essentially, I don't see this game dying for a long time. A good 10, 20, 30 years of Project M history will be developed. Probably less than Melee's ultimate lifespan, but I imagine Project M's life be much more rich than Brawl's... Smash 4's too, probably.

I've seen the community grow exponentially since 1.0. Hell, since 2.5b when I actually played consistently, the appreciation for this game has skyrocketed. 3.0 I think will draw in the core audience until about when Smash 4 is right around the corner. Then, people will be hype for that, PM scene will potentially take a backseat for a little while.

But, honestly, I don't see how Smash 4 will be as balanced as Project M. Playtesters and designers and **** won't know the nuances of each character nearly as well as the people like us who've played Smash countless hours, established a huge network of friends and acquaintances who have had their own experiences to share. So, I have pretty high confidence that at the least, Project M will be the most balanced Smash game out there. Thus, it will continue to thrive among those who can appreciate the big things, like balance, and the little things: all the alt costumes, all the little easter eggs, all the tributes to a character's core personality that were made...

And besides, the fact that this thread exists points to people stressing over the idea of the game someday going away, and doesn't that prove enough it's at least worthy of our attention for years to come?

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
PM 3.0's release had publicity that attracted people, and Apex's PM turnout is not a certain indicator of a game's logevity since it was one tournament. We'll see how Ktar9 does, and CEO. Then the next Apex. If turnouts only climb then I'll believe Project M's current popularity is something solid and not a temporary novelty.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I have heard of many people who are onboard PM waiting for Smash 4 to come out, but I doubt that their numbers are significantly large. I'm pretty sure that Project M's community will only be slightly affected by Smash 4, since I expect the latter to have brand new people (as in people who were reluctant to play competitively until now or just recently joined Smash) gathering around it along with most of the Brawl community. Obviously many PM and Melee players will get Smash 4 too, but they will most probably not let go of their previous game.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I believe when Smash 4 releases, there will be a bit of down time for PM as many will be wanting to play the new game. But just like Brawl, I feel they players will eventually flock back to Melee and P:M once again.

But the fact that people well never look past that P:M is a mod will always keep from thriving like Melee. But we can hope the community keeps it alive. Cause thats what PM is, the community.

Dante'

Smash Rookie
PM is here to stay

A big factor stopping Smash 4 from replacing project M is the console its on. The simple truth is that the wii sold extremely well and the Wii U didn't. Most gamers, both hard core and casual, have a wii, and the majority of wii owners have brawl. Additionally, gamecube controllers are cheep and everyone has a few lying around. When Smash 4 comes out people are going to have to buy multiple classic controllers or play with the wii mote. This makes project m much more available and affordable. The new Smash could be great (and I think it will be), but the situation isn't right for it to kick out project m.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Pm should be the main game when it is finished until then it should remain in the shadows of melee. The unfortunate truth is that even when PM is finished and should be the most played game melee fans wont budge and will never move past melee, or at least thats what I fear will happen...

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Pm should be the main game when it is finished until then it should remain in the shadows of melee. The unfortunate truth is that even when PM is finished and should be the most played game melee fans wont budge and will never move past melee, or at least thats what I fear will happen...
The two can coexist just fine, honestly.

I don't know what'll happen to the community, but Smash fans are very wont to let things die. I know I'll be keeping my copy around and playing it with people for a long time.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
The two can coexist just fine, honestly.

I don't know what'll happen to the community, but Smash fans are very wont to let things die. I know I'll be keeping my copy around and playing it with people for a long time.
Im expecting PM not to be finished for along time production wise especially when they have 5 more slots open for characters and balancing thereafter so Pm will be around for awhile and hopefully will gain enough traction to be the main smash game if things go smoothly.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Here's my two-cents in the matter:

PM has something that almost all modern fighting games have: updates. Updates make a game fresh, they bring new players with the hype that comes with updates, and most importantly, it brings balancing. Unlike Melee, if someone breaks a, the character can be balanced (i.e. Sonic). This allows for the Hype in a tournament that ANY CHARACTER could turn out to be the new "top tier" (i.e. Armada's Pit) as opposed to the same old moves and tricks on repeat by majority of the winning characters.
My money is on Smash 4 not topping PM or Melee, considering how Brawl was a huge **** you to anyone who enjoyed Melee (the most played Smash) and how Nintendo doesn't seem to want to support their die hard Smash fans. So people are going come back to PM once the initial flash end

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't know about the rest of you but I don't plan on dropping PM ever
If everyone keeps that mindset, well there ya go
Simmer down bro, people irrationally complain about your game the same way.
but that's the thing
it's not irrational at all, there are a lot of reasons to think it's bad, including plenty of ones that aren't "because it's not Melee/PM"

Cassio

Smash Master
but that's the thing
it's not irrational at all, there are a lot of reasons to think it's bad, including plenty of ones that aren't "because it's not Melee/PM"
Depends what you mean. A lot of it comes down to preference all things considered. For instance I enjoy PM, but I find it's emphasis on balance and a lighter tech skill barrier (ie recoveries) softens many aspects of competition in relation to other smash games including adaptation and ingenuity. In that sense it's not irrational for this and other complaints about PM to be considered irrational either. But PM has it's strengths as well as do all smash games, so calling any game bad becomes hypocritical unless you're willing to call your game bad as well. But why maintain such a pessimistic perspective?

Last edited:
Top Bottom