• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M's lifespan

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice
Do you all feel that Project M will live as long as Melee did, that's if Smash 4 doesn't live up to our expectations from a competitive viewpoint and turns out to be another SSBB. I know a lot of people have different opinions on P:M, some say Melee is better, and some say P:M is better. Could P:M be as successful as Melee and possibly surpass it or will Melee always reign supreme in the Smash Community?

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that P:M will ever become the premier game in the community, just the fact of being a mod will limit it in that regard, but I also believe that the community should remain strong for many years to come, seeing as it is only growing at the moment, fills a big need in the Smash community, and still has a lot of updating that will be happening.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I don't think that Pm with surpass Melee at all, cause I bet for some Melee has a charm to it that Project M doesn't, I don't know, that's how I feel about it.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
As long as there is a Wii in my house, PM's legacy will live on for eternity. #Godblessthebackroom

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I think the game has legs. It is only growing bigger and bigger with more and more players. It seems smash tournaments always have PM at them now. Sure it's rarely the main game but pretty good for a mod I think. (We need more PM majors).

I suspect once Smash 4 comes out it will draw players from all the games but only really hurt Brawl in the long run as It could straight up replace it.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I think the game has legs. It is only growing bigger and bigger with more and more players. It seems smash tournaments always have PM at them now. Sure it's rarely the main game but pretty good for a mod I think. (We need more PM majors).

I suspect once Smash 4 comes out it will draw players from all the games but only really hurt Brawl in the long run as It could straight up replace it.
for real now, i mean come on you guys KNOW how many people entered PM for apex right? i think i remember it numbering somewhere around four hundred. FOUR HUNDRED for a mod. that's ridiculous

lami

Smash Journeyman
for real now, i mean come on you guys KNOW how many people entered PM for apex right? i think i remember it numbering somewhere around four hundred. FOUR HUNDRED for a mod. that's ridiculous
And it may differ by region, but here in MD/VA ,S@X has seriously been very PM focused.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
And it may differ by region, but here in MD/VA ,S@X has seriously been very PM focused.
bro i watch s@x weekly on youtube all the time, shame there aren't many TL matches i can watch to get some tricks but squeak, white peach, Gimr, Jceaz are so fun to watch. oh yeah, and Vist's luigi is F***ing sick.

lami

Smash Journeyman
bro i watch s@x weekly on youtube all the time, shame there aren't many TL matches i can watch to get some tricks but squeak, white peach, Gimr, Jceaz are so fun to watch. oh yeah, and Vist's luigi is F***ing sick.
Well Jesse has been going to the smashfests at JCaez's place on thursday. He plays normal Link, which I know isn't the same but it's sorta on par with TLink!

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
It's either gonna surpass Melee or plateau right under Melee and then die because it'll never be as good as Melee. That's all I can see happening. If it doesn't become bigger than Melee it will eventually die.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
All good things must come to an end.

With that being said we are set for another 5 years.

Then the PMBR will be working on Project M for Smash4

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
All good things must come to an end.

With that being said we are set for another 5 years.

Then the PMBR will be working on Project M for Smash4
Sadly, I am almost sure that the PMBR said somewhere that they are not going to make a PM for Wii U Game even if it is horrible. Project M Is good enough for me anyway right now. I hope that Project M will last for quite a long time and keep growing but I expect that it may die down after a year of the final version comeing out. But hay, hope for the best and expect the worst, right?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Sadly, I am almost sure that the PMBR said somewhere that they are not going to make a PM for Wii U Game even if it is horrible. Project M Is good enough for me anyway right now. I hope that Project M will last for quite a long time and keep growing but I expect that it may die down after a year of the final version comeing out. But hay, hope for the best and expect the worst, right?
They said they aren't doing a smash 4 project M?

Well looks like we got Project M till 2030 then.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
People will still play project M because it is generally a great game that follows off of melee's gameplay mechanics, but expands upon it in many ways. I predict that a final version will probably be in around 4 years or so.

TreK

Is "that guy"
The only thing that can kill a gaming community is when there are less new players coming in than there are old players quitting, for a LONG period of time. I think Melee will survive at least the next generation of consoles, and probably the one after that provided Nintendo has not gone bankrupt by then. Same goes for P:M.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You think if they actually just went bankrupt right this instant that we'd see Melee back in MLG? That'd be neat.
No chance bruh. Nintendo has set up a backup chip on every Melee disc and SD card. If they filed for bankruptcy, they would just have to click one button, and BAM, not a single copy of Smash will work afterwards (besides vBrawl).

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
It's either gonna surpass Melee or plateau right under Melee and then die because it'll never be as good as Melee. That's all I can see happening. If it doesn't become bigger than Melee it will eventually die.
This comment is half blatant lies(the first sentence, that's just being future-naive) because of this right here:
People will still play project M because it is generally a great game that follows off of melee's gameplay mechanics, but expands upon it in many ways. I predict that a final version will probably be in around 4 years or so.
It isn't even CLOSE to done.
Come on, now.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
4 years for the final version? Wow, that's rather pessimistic.

Well, the smash community is the kind of community that doesn't like to let games die if they're good, if PM will last for a long time it depends on if the people want to keep playing it, not on other games.

Bizzy

Smash Apprentice

Well, the smash community is the kind of community that doesn't like to let games die if they're good, if PM will last for a long time it depends on if the people want to keep playing it, not on other games.
Exactly and with all of the support P:M has gotten thus far, I only see things going up from here. I hate to be pessimistic but I feel that Smash 4 won't do anything but disappoint us just like Brawl did, from a competitive perspective at least.

Cold-Water Wash

Smash Cadet
The bendy part of a sink in Saratoga Springs, NY
It has become fairly obvious to me that the smash community is not the kind of group to just "let a game die". Seriously. How many years has melee been kept around? Whether or not PM is better than melee is not really the debate. Whether or not the smash community does not allow itself to be artificially divided by two major ways of playing an awesome series is what'll decide PM's future.

If the community did divide - which would be dumb - I would put my chips on Melee's tourney life outlasting PM's purely due to seniority and the zeal of its loyal players.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman

It's not that I am being pessimistic, it is simply my prediction. I know that Row and Mewtwo took over 700 hours for each character, and there 5 more characters that still need to be made. With all of those characters plus adding the remaining melee physics (light shielding, and maybe the grapple recoveries), I think it will take a long time to fully bring the game to perfection in which all melee fans would admit that project m is better than melee.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
This mod is gonna live for a longgggg time, probably until you can no longer find an old wii model to play it on (but i bet they'll some how fix that problem too cuz the PMBR are ****ing awesome) i would like to compare it too other mods that have lived to become real games (dota, counter strike, etc.) unfortunately Nintendo is an ass to their smash fans and that will certainly not happen ever, but the amount of people playing and getting interested in PM just keeps on growing and growing, especially since PM even works as a safe haven for those smash fans that want to play their favorite character just to realize they suck total ass in every iteration of smash bros.

This mod will live, and if they even put ONE new character in the next release the amount of casuals that will flock to this game will be incredible. BUT i can see brawl getting annihilated between the growing popularity of melee and especially PM, not to mention all the casuals will eventually move on to smash 4 whether it be on 3DS or Wii U.

Top Bottom