• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Visual Fixing/Updating Thread [Lastest Update: 10/03/15]

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
This is a great project, hell if any 'custom build' were to become a tournament standard, this could be it.

Despite how much of a hermit I am with little to no experience, if you bother me enough, I think I'd actually enjoy helping out for this.

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
EDIT: Bowser added to link post.

Thanks for adding my fixes to the OP. Sorry to up the workload on you, but I do it with good reason. I made a fix for some texture quality issues with 3.5's Boxer DK alternates. The texture shrinking in the originals were necessary as of 3.0(would have crashed, otherwise) but are no longer necessary because the model used for them has been optimized. This will be added to my link post. In 3.5, Giga Dry Bowser has a special shine effect, which was not added onto his normal counterpart due to time constraints. This I have fixed(along with a few other issues with him), but I need to adjust the spec map to fit the different model.
Oh no you need not apologize! Any fixes like these just makes my day more and more better! And as you said, it's all with good reason so I'm extremly greatful for the stuff you've done by far! Going to test those fixes in a bit and add to the front page in the next update on stuff I'm also fixing up on!

DJWizardCop

Smash Rookie
Update, hands and collar. Working on the boots and the back too but nothing presentable yet.
The whole zipper area has UV mapping that's really not made for zippers. It's going to be tough haha.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Since this was quick and easy, here's my contribution:

What was wrong with Doc? Well, to start off, he was actually bigger than normal Mario, causing headaches for CSP makers and various other issues that weren't there with normal Mario. One of the most noticeable things being his feet going into the floor:

His size has been fixed, he's now the same as normal Mario:

Here are the two side by side, showing the difference in size, fixed one on the right:

Second, I also fixed the normals on his head mirror thing. The left side of his mirror had a shading issue that would cause it to be slightly darker and warped the spec highlight, it's mostly noticeable with custom spec textures though. But anyway, fixed Mario on the right:

Huge thanks to @ Tailsmiles249 Tailsmiles249 for the screenshots!

Sadly the rest is stuff that needs both texture and model edits (which I don't want to do) but here they are in case anyone wants to tackle them:
First, this. Doc's suit doesn't have anything under him, so if you look under his coat you just see a pair of floating legs:

Mario does jump around a lot, so you can see it ingame if you look.

Second, his model isn't actually symmetrical. The sleeves are different sizes. The rig isn't symmetrical either, as some parts in the middle that should be rigged symmetrically are not.

Third, his mirror is bent near the band area. Check the right side in this screen, it isn't fully round at the end:

Lastly, not quite a fix, but these verts seem unneeded, they don't seem to do anything. Mirror again:

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
Since this was quick and easy, here's my contribution:

What was wrong with Doc? Well, to start off, he was actually bigger than normal Mario, causing headaches for CSP makers and various other issues that weren't there with normal Mario. One of the most noticeable things being his feet going into the floor:

His size has been fixed, he's now the same as normal Mario:

Here are the two side by side, showing the difference in size, fixed one on the right:

Second, I also fixed the normals on his head mirror thing. The left side of his mirror had a shading issue that would cause it to be slightly darker and warped the spec highlight, it's mostly noticeable with custom spec textures though. But anyway, fixed Mario on the right:

Huge thanks to @ Tailsmiles249 Tailsmiles249 for the screenshots!

Sadly the rest is stuff that needs both texture and model edits (which I don't want to do) but here they are in case anyone wants to tackle them:
First, this. Doc's suit doesn't have anything under him, so if you look under his coat you just see a pair of floating legs:

Mario does jump around a lot, so you can see it ingame if you look.

Second, his model isn't actually symmetrical. The sleeves are different sizes. The rig isn't symmetrical either, as some parts in the middle that should be rigged symmetrically are not.

Third, his mirror is bent near the band area. Check the right side in this screen, it isn't fully round at the end:

Lastly, not quite a fix, but these verts seem unneeded, they don't seem to do anything. Mirror again:

it's stuff like this what makes me think "i wish i knew what i'm looking at"
and it's cool

Taiko

Smash Ace
it's stuff like this what makes me think "i wish i knew what i'm looking at"
and it's cool
This should sum it up

Original:

Half-fixed:

I say half-fixed because now I realize the hands are smaller now too. There is no victory...

I'll make a fix for the fix some other time...

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

This should sum it up

Original:

Half-fixed:

I say half-fixed because now I realize the hands are smaller now too. There is no victory...

I'll make a fix for the fix some other time...
I said it before and I'll say it again, this is so perfect, if only PMBR could see this... I'm tempted to @ them but don't want to come off as rude and whatnot, at least hear one person's thoughts on this, I feel one thing PM focuses on is the gameplay aspects overall, which is why I can understand things like this being overlooked and ignored.

With that said, I personally feel that if people are going to call PM a 'game' over a 'mod' I feel they should take everything into account, I apologize if that comes off the wrong way but I mean it with good intentions, I want to see PM get better and better! Which is one of the reasons I wanted to make this thread!

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

Update, hands and collar. Working on the boots and the back too but nothing presentable yet.
The whole zipper area has UV mapping that's really not made for zippers. It's going to be tough haha.
I like this A LOT, the small changes can make a much larger difference I say, this is so Gooooood!

Got a request for you when you finish that. Could you make an orange color for it? It'd help round out all the color options ZSS has.
I can take care of the recoloring if that helps! Mainly after he has finished up on the texture fix! (I'd help out as well but I'm currently working on a few other texture fixes right now for other characters)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
good stuff in here, good stuff.

Hey! I notice Kirby has FS glitch, If you guys would want, I know how to fix them....

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

good stuff in here, good stuff.

Hey! I notice Kirby has FS glitch, If you guys would want, I know how to fix them....
And so after I finished my journey to Mt Taiko, I shall now head towards Mt Scout, both full of mystery and wonders! (Thanks for the help again by the way Scout! Checked out the tutorial and it's helped a lot!)

Sorry people it's been pretty late over here!

Been working on quite a few things so expect a nice update tommorow! These include the full model fix on Dr Mario, I took over from Taiko who was also awsome enough to teach me! Cleaning up the Kirby Eyes issue thanks to Scout! And expect some nice CSP updates from not only me Ohohoho! We'll see how it goes tommorow!

For people that wonder what changes Dr Mario will have, I have just resized the gloves the match so now he's the exact 1:1 size to Mario! Also fixed the additional normals on the mirror and scope! Since it's really late I want to test out the model (it's complete with materials and shaders, just going to make sure it's all in check before I give it the release, same with Kirby and such!) In any case night folks and look forward to the next update!

MagicManNo9

Forgot comparison image:

Ignore missing textures, this was before I applied the Materials and Shaders, for anyone that has missed Taiko's post, the gist of it is that Dr Mario's costume was larger than Mario's by quite a bit and had to be resized.

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Forgot comparison image:

Ignore missing textures, this was before I applied the Materials and Shaders, for anyone that has missed Taiko's post, the gist of it is that Dr Mario's costume was larger than Mario's by quite a bit and had to be resized.
So does this mean his arm length has also been fixed?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
hey guys great job fixing everything so far, I'd like to point out though that the download link to the lucario arm and eye fix isn't working. I'm not sure if it's just me or is it not working for anyone

MagicManNo9

So does this mean his arm length has also been fixed?
Though it looked like that at first, is actually turns out it was the size of the glove causing that!

If you mean the gloves, yes. The model is the same size as default Brawl Mario now.
^^^^^^^^^^^ Pretty much this!

Updated My Music icon and preview for 3.5:

https://imgur.com/a/XsGuE
Ohhh thanks! Will add to the menu pack once I go through everything/anything else that needs fixing before release!

hey guys great job fixing everything so far, I'd like to point out though that the download link to the lucario arm and eye fix isn't working. I'm not sure if it's just me or is it not working for anyone
Thanks! I fixed that link just in case, triple checked so I hope that helps!

UPDATE:

Here comes a few update as I promised! First up!

The full Doctor Mario fix! Comes with all the costumes, thanking Taiko once again for this! Not only that various other fixes are on the model, such as lighting, fixed normals (Specifically around the headband mirror and the scope) and the exact same size as Brawl Mario! With that everything is complete for Dr Mario, so I decided to update the CSPs and BPs:

In the past with my custom build, one of the troubles I had to deal with was making the Dr Mario pose match up with Mario's one, back then I didn't realise it was a size issue so I would play tricks here and there to make it work, luckily this time around with the size fixes it's all in order!

I also fixed the coat for Dr Mario in this CSP because the pose would cause it to go all over the place, there's a comparison image for those who wanted to see!

The next is Kirby's special eyes, or rather final Smash eye fix, thanks to Scout for the tutorial! (I do belive there needs to be a fix for 3.5 Purple Party Hat Pikachu due the skin change so I'll get on that when I can!)

And finally here are some Link CSPs/BPs and a bonus:

Not much to say but remastered two poses and all is in check! If anyone notices anything out of place by all means post a message!

Additionally I have added an extra white Link costume, mainly because it was the last color of Melee Link and it was quick to whip up! Hope you enjoy all of these!

Adding updated stuff at the moment from everyone else as well by the way!

Last edited:

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
All this stuff is so neat guys. Thanks a lot for doing this! The remastered CSPs are beautiful, I'm adding them as you keep releasing them. This will make PM a much more enjoyable experience for many of us, I'm sure of that :D

MagicManNo9

They grow up so fast! :sadeyes:
;-; I'm getting emotional right now, my eyes lit up when I got the FS eye fix working first time! (No pun intended, thought the thought of me getting Final Smash eyes does make my day)

All this stuff is so neat guys. Thanks a lot for doing this! The remastered CSPs are beautiful, I'm adding them as you keep releasing them. This will make PM a much more enjoyable experience for many of us, I'm sure of that :D
Thanks! That's the main aim! I want to help make the best of PM by fixing up a lot of things here and there, and I'm glad many people think the same!

UPDATE:

Not as large as an update but I had a free evening to do this!

Remember this:

Now let's just see what's over here...

Oh, it's just a Kirby Hat update! I took a look and had a go at re-creating the texture for Wario's hat on Kirby.

This is what PM had before:

With a little bit of magic here and there:

And with that you can now Download it right away:

The whole hat has been updated, had to work with what I got, but hopefully as always you all like!

Not only that I have also added a FS Eye fix for Party Hat Pikachu:

I have also updated the hat texture download as well to include this, this hat fix will also have the default PM 3.5 texture in case anyone wanted to keep it that way! Anyways I hope you all enjoy!

EDIT: FIXED LINK

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
I said it before and I'll say it again, this is so perfect, if only PMBR could see this... I'm tempted to @ them but don't want to come off as rude and whatnot, at least hear one person's thoughts on this, I feel one thing PM focuses on is the gameplay aspects overall, which is why I can understand things like this being overlooked and ignored.

With that said, I personally feel that if people are going to call PM a 'game' over a 'mod' I feel they should take everything into account, I apologize if that comes off the wrong way but I mean it with good intentions, I want to see PM get better and better! Which is one of the reasons I wanted to make this thread!
Because we are only human and make mistakes also.

But thanks.

I just came across this thread, and will be fixing things for the next patch. Taiko and I are pals, and I'm probably going to use some of the things that he has already gotten done for us.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Just posting to say that this is a great thread, it's amazing to see people so dedicated to the game to pick up the smallest overlooks or things we did not have time to fix.

Makes me very fond of this community. Awesome job.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

But thanks.

I just came across this thread, and will be fixing things for the next patch. Taiko and I are pals, and I'm probably going to use some of the things that he has already gotten done for us.
You guys have a lot on your plate, so much to work on so I think everyone in the community and myself understands and as you say, we're only human, it means a lot to hear that! Thank you so much and by all means, everything here is all yours from the community!

Just made my night like you wouldn't believe it! Thanks again Nano!

Just posting to say that this is a great thread, it's amazing to see people so dedicated to the game to pick up the smallest overlooks or things we did not have time to fix.

Makes me very fond of this community. Awesome job.
I'm actually really touched right now to hear this from both you and Nano, it's honestly made me want to work even harder on the thread and help out as much as possible, you guys are very busy working hard on PM I figured this was the best way to help out with the community as a whole working together, truly it has made my night perfect!

Thanks so much Fireball! Hope you guys have a good one!

Last edited:

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Definitely a thread worth to be aware of. It's amazing to see how much love and dedication you put into what the PMDT already does with love and dedication. This is definitely going to help PM to be more perfected in terms of visuals for future releases. As one person that personally cares alot about this kind of stuff, I'd like to thank you the effort you're putting.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Wasn't the Big Boss alt smaller than default costume? I'm away from computer so I can't check it out right now.

Also I'll try my hand at Link's taunt later.

rohdog

Smash Rookie
just wanted to drop in real quick and report a visual bug one of you guys might be able to fix: Diddy's boombox in his boombox win animation rapidly flickered in and out of existence for the animation's entire duration. Has anybody else ran into this?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive

But thanks.

But are you going to use Codex's stuff? Considering how much he's worked on it? You could just use them instead of fixing things if he's already done some of the work, it doesn't make sense NOT to.
Also, call me crazy but ever other PM dev who commented on this whole deal didn't come off as rude and matter-of-fact, as if they are actually appreciative of the fixes here.
Codex didn't have to fix the stuff your team failed to fix. He CHOSE to. I think using his stuff instead of fixing it yourself would be just.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

Definitely a thread worth to be aware of. It's amazing to see how much love and dedication you put into what the PMDT already does with love and dedication. This is definitely going to help PM to be more perfected in terms of visuals for future releases. As one person that personally cares alot about this kind of stuff, I'd like to thank you the effort you're putting.
Oh wow, getting back from work to hear this is even more perfect! Thank you so much! It means a lot to hear that, I made the thread with the intention of fixing up anything visually mainly because I imagine that everyone on the team are working new content for future releases and whatnot! With the community as a whole joining in, I'm very glad to hear this from you guys! I want to put as much love and dedication into this and go all out! Truly means a lot and my day has been made once again haha!

Thanks guys <3
Now my day has been made double! Thank you!

Wasn't the Big Boss alt smaller than default costume? I'm away from computer so I can't check it out right now.

Also I'll try my hand at Link's taunt later.
Yeah, I can fix the size for that I believe!

just wanted to drop in real quick and report a visual bug one of you guys might be able to fix: Diddy's boombox in his boombox win animation rapidly flickered in and out of existence for the animation's entire duration. Has anybody else ran into this?
I've never noticed this, I'll take a look and see if I can find anything.

But are you going to use Codex's stuff? Considering how much he's worked on it? You could just use them instead of fixing things if he's already done some of the work, it doesn't make sense NOT to.
Also, call me crazy but ever other PM dev who commented on this whole deal didn't come off as rude and matter-of-fact, as if they are actually appreciative of the fixes here.
Codex didn't have to fix the stuff your team failed to fix. He CHOSE to. I think using his stuff instead of fixing it yourself would be just.
I think from what I understand the team will be using anything in this thread just from what others have said haha.

I don't think Nano was coming off as rude, he originally worked on Dr Mario's fixes and knows Taiko, as I do and I've talked about with Taiko so a lot of that stuff kinda happened in the background.

I imagine a lot of the team has a lot going on, as FireBall Stars stated, they don't get time to work on these fixes with everything else going on, I've had made things awkward before with Nano on another thread once, and reading the message he was replying to I did come off as a bit I did come off a bit much then, (Nano if you're reading this I apologize if that is the case haha) the last thing I want to do is cause conflict, I respect Nano a lot, specially a fan of the stuff he has done in the past and as a modder he's just brilliant.

I can understand why you'd see it that way and I appreciate the kindness haha! I original went into making this thread with hopes that everyone can use these fixes and it's even more amazing to know PM will be as well. The community and everyone is one of the reasons I enjoy Smash so much! Even moreso with the Modding scene!

DJWizardCop

Smash Rookie
The boots are almost finished! Here are some in-game shots:
I decided to remove the zipper and leave the front of the boots blue, since the Fusion design doesn't have a zipper.
The Fusion design does have a horizontal detail across the front but the UV mapping wasn't cooperating when I tried to add it.
It might be possible to add with a model update, but I've no experience with the 3D side of things so I'll leave them as is.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
So if you guys want to use my CSS work (http://smashboards.com/threads/ondos-css-workshop-less-compressed-csps.379510/), feel free.

It primarily frees up space so that most of the CSPs can be done as CI8 instead of CMPR; it also removes the shadows from the character boxes (which look good in vBrawl but are barely noticeable in PM, and I think look bad if you do notice them), and removes the flashing NEW from characters that were unlockable in vBrawl, if you don't have a save file that has already used them.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I really hope the PMDT uses your CSP's because they are far and away the highest quality CSP's I've ever seen that stick to the brawl aesthetic.

I can't wait to see your take on Fox's CSP's, specifically his melee ones!

Last edited:

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Don't worry about it Codex, from what I've noticed in the past nano just tends to use words and expressions that are easily prey of the internet's misinterpretation as things might not sound the same to people in text as it does on our heads. He didn't intend to be rude, that I'm sure of.

He's really appreciative of the work done here, he was even the one posting the link to the thread on our art team chat saying how cool the things happening here were and that there were more things than we realized that needed fixes.

Last edited:

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Here's my contribution to this project since I enjoy doing this kind of stuff:

MARTH:

Includes CSPs for the sheath fix and the Brawl pose for Sigurd Marth.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

The boots are almost finished! Here are some in-game shots:
I decided to remove the zipper and leave the front of the boots blue, since the Fusion design doesn't have a zipper.
The Fusion design does have a horizontal detail across the front but the UV mapping wasn't cooperating when I tried to add it.
It might be possible to add with a model update, but I've no experience with the 3D side of things so I'll leave them as is.
Nice work so far! I can actually UV map the model if needed, though I'm currently working on other stuff at the moment so I might be a bit late on that! I'll try and work on the model with the next week hopefully!

So if you guys want to use my CSS work (http://smashboards.com/threads/ondos-css-workshop-less-compressed-csps.379510/), feel free.

It primarily frees up space so that most of the CSPs can be done as CI8 instead of CMPR; it also removes the shadows from the character boxes (which look good in vBrawl but are barely noticeable in PM, and I think look bad if you do notice them), and removes the flashing NEW from characters that were unlockable in vBrawl, if you don't have a save file that has already used them.
Oh wow, I've been menaing to reply to that thread for a while now! Love the detail you can achieve from it just from removing the shadows, I'll defiantly look into this to get the best quality from the CSPs! Thanks Ondo!

I really hope the PMDT uses your CSP's because they are far and away the highest quality CSP's I've ever seen that stick to the brawl aesthetic.

I can't wait to see your take on Fox's CSP's, specifically his melee ones!
Haha Thanks! Glad to hear people like the remastered CSPs, I quite enjoy making them and even more glad you're liking them that much!

Don't worry about it Codex, from what I've noticed in the past nano just tends to use words and expressions that are easily prey of the internet's misinterpretation as things might not sound the same to people in text as it does on our heads. He didn't intend to be rude, that I'm sure of.

He's really appreciative of the work done here, he was even the one posting the link to the thread on our art team chat saying how cool the things happening here were and that there were more things than we realized that needed fixes.
Oh wow, that's certainly very reassuring to know! Thank you very much for clarifying! I had assumed that might have been the case and I'm glad, I know Nano to be a pretty awesome guy from what I've seen and heard before, thanks again for clearing that up and for anyone else who may have got the wrong vibe!

I'm also very happy to know he was the one who linked it, you guys at the art team are some of the best in my book, and I'll keep working hard for everyone knowing that! I know I keep saying it but once again a big thank you!

Here's my contribution to this project since I enjoy doing this kind of stuff:

MARTH:

Includes CSPs for the sheath fix and the Brawl pose for Sigurd Marth.
This Marth... TOO PERFECT, also added to the front page! I got to step up my CSP game, it got me so pumped I spent the night working on Dedede!

UPDATE:

Dedede update for all!

I already mentioned him in the past the reason I never released the texture fix was because I had to clean up a couple of things and whilst I was at it finish up on the renders, here's the updated texture:

For those that don't know, one of the Shogun Dedede's Body textures were actually cut in half size wise, what I did was resize the texture back and clean up the coat texture here and there, you can see a comparison here for those who didn't see this before: SCREENSHOT

There was another reason I cleaned up the coat, which was just due to the dragon logo on the back, the reason I had to update that was because the Green and Blue one was stretched a bit furthest than the red Shogun Dedede logo so I did the coat in that are for them:

I tested it all in game and it's perfectly working! And you can update the texture here:

Also I made an optional pack which was mentioned before for the logo on the back, changed to the original Dedede logo in case anyone wanted to switch that back!

You can get that here:

And to top it all off, here's a remastered CSP Pack for Dedede!

And I belive that's all updated for Dedede's part I think, I hope you all like and enjoy this and the Marth update by Tails!

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
For those that don't know, one of the Shogun Dedede's Body textures were actually cut in half size wise, what I did was resize the texture back and clean up the coat texture here and there, you can see a comparison here for those who didn't see this before: SCREENSHOT
The CSPs and everything look great, but I found that bumping Shogun Dedede's textures up to 512x512 caused a lot of lag with multiple characters on screen. Try running just three Shogun Dededes on the Wii and you'll see what I mean.

MagicManNo9

The CSPs and everything look great, but I found that bumping Shogun Dedede's textures up to 512x512 caused a lot of lag with multiple characters on screen. Try running just three Shogun Dededes on the Wii and you'll see what I mean.
Really? That's strange considering the file size is smaller than the default Dedede, I might have to resize other textures and optimize a bit, I'll look into it when I get back from work tomorrow!

EDIT: Model works fine for me after various tests.

Last edited:

RadiantThunder4

Smash Cadet
Man, there is some great stuff going on here! Been busy with school/work, so sorry about not being around as much!

Your are doing a GREAT job Codex. All the stuff you have done is beautiful, and it's great that the PMDT has really enjoyed your work as well!

Also, that Marth is awesome as well, Tailsmiles249!

Top Bottom