• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M v3.5 Blog #3 on Lucas' Recovery

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
buncha crap
If you don't like PM so much, why play it? Don't you realize you're doing basically the same thing Melee players did to Brawl? PM is meant to be competitive, edgeguarding is a part of that. It makes the game more difficult, but not exponentially so like you're claiming.

Maybe the replies to your comments would be less inflammatory if you didn't have this constant berating tone you have shown in most of your posts. ****ting on PM, or really any game in the series, doesn't make you seem knowledgeable, or elite. It just makes you seem incontinent.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
At no point in PM's development history has casual play ever taken precedence over the desires of the competitive community. It's great that casuals can have fun with it, but it will not abandon its ideas for what makes a great competitive game. Doing so would compromise the entire reason the project exists. Either accept that and continue having fun with the parts you enjoy, or play a different game. Those are your choices.

Man, this is like asking, "if it's just going to cool the air in your hosue, what's the point of air conditioning?" Improvement is the point of competition. By competing, we learn things about the game that we would never know otherwise. We get to witness, and fully appreciate, the most exciting interactions the game has to offer.

Games die when the players stop striving to improve. If you show me a game where someone complacent sits at the top, you're showing me a dead game.

Again, childish. Normally when people grow up they're supposed to learn the concept of sportsmanship-- where you admire strong play and respect those who display it, instead of hating them for not letting you win easily.

Compared to fighting against a competent opponent who wants to win just as badly as you do? None of that is even remotely difficult. You would know this if you tried either.

So you call 8 levels of play between 1 and 10 "worthless." That's an interesting stance for someone who calls other people "elitists."

Nevermind that, though. If you're not willing to go from 1 to 9, you will never reach 10. Ever. You won't do it in Brawl. You won't do it in Smash 4. You won't do it in PM. It just isn't possible with that mindset.

I'm telling you this not to make fun of you, but to help you understand. Believe me, when you accept this, you will be happier-- either by continuing to play casually without illusions, or as an actual competitive player with the grace to shake hands and learn from losses.
The commands on SF aren't difficult...haha...good one.
I actually accept it, I just wanna rage to back up my rant because I don't like the game becoming harder, I can appreciate someone better than me, except when I play someone who's miles better than me and I don't have a fair shot at winning, that's obviously when I get angry and prefer to stop playing for a while. If you play againist someone that won't even let you move with your current skills, chances are you're not going to learn anything, you gotta look for people of your skill level, or it's just going to be frustrating and even counterproductive.

You could say I was half-trolling, half-serious...and I'm glad Smash4 will have some sort of matchmaking, because one of the games that has driven me away from being a competitive anything has been Mario Strikers, the online pits you againist people who use advance techniques already, no matter your win/lose ratio. I believe in gradual learning and training, going upwards a slight slope instead of clawing up a wall. If you fight others, lose, but gave it your all and gave a good fight, then it's OK, but when the opponent's so much better than you that it demoralizes you...then it stops being healthy.

And I recognize that most times the anger's not really directed towards the opponent, but towards yourself, when someone rages, 90% they're angry at themselves for not being good enough, that's why some people do self-harm when raging at competitive games, I've done it myself, so I would know.

I just want to practice and play againist people at my level or marginally better than me, if the wall's too big, then you can't climb it, you gotta look for slopes, and I fear that this change will build more walls and turn some slopes into walls. I've never been good at recovering so I use a lot of characters with good recoveries like Sonic & Mario, and I'm afraid I won't be able to use them anymore because they'll be nerfed, there's no real way to practice recovering better.
If you don't like PM so much, why play it? Don't you realize you're doing basically the same thing Melee players did to Brawl? PM is meant to be competitive, edgeguarding is a part of that. It makes the game more difficult, but not exponentially so like you're claiming.

Maybe the replies to your comments would be less inflammatory if you didn't have this constant berating tone you have shown in most of your posts. ****ting on PM, or really any game in the series, doesn't make you seem knowledgeable, or elite. It just makes you seem incontinent.
I really want to stop ranting because I overreacted, but...eye for an eye?

Look, I'm all about the skill ceiling being raised, but not at the expense of the skill floor also being raised, that alienates people who want to get better, but can't. I mean, good game design dictates that games shouldn't be harsh at entry level, and if this is done wrong, it could raise the skill floor significantly, that's what I'm afraid of.

Just like a lot of people mindlessly choose to be wary about Sakurai's potential, I don't fully trust the PMBR to keep the core philosophy of Smash intact while still making it more competitively viable, like you guys love to do 'I'm keeping my expectations low (And ******** about the game on its own forum) to avoid being dissapointed, or be happier if it turns out to be even better" Just like many people are hating on Smash4 the same way because their wary it might ruin their enjoyment, I deserve that right.

I'm sure the PMBR's full of cool people who outright want to make a better game, but I also know there's some hardcore Melee fans (To avoid the use of a much better term) who will overlook what's better or worse as long as it's closer to Melee (L-Cancelling, not being able to grab items while dashing...).

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
The commands on SF aren't difficult...haha...good one.
I actually accept it, I just wanna rage to back up my rant because I don't like the game becoming harder, I can appreciate someone better than me, except when I play someone who's miles better than me and I don't have a fair shot at winning, that's obviously when I get angry and prefer to stop playing for a while. If you play againist someone that won't even let you move with your current skills, chances are you're not going to learn anything, you gotta look for people of your skill level, or it's just going to be frustrating and even counterproductive.

You could say I was half-trolling, half-serious...and I'm glad Smash4 will have some sort of matchmaking, because one of the games that has driven me away from being a competitive anything has been Mario Strikers, the online pits you againist people who use advance techniques already, no matter your win/lose ratio. I believe in gradual learning and training, going upwards a slight slope instead of clawing up a wall. If you fight others, lose, but gave it your all and gave a good fight, then it's OK, but when the opponent's so much better than you that it demoralizes you...then it stops being healthy.
You are very correct in a lot of this. It is very difficult to learn by playing against somebody who just crushes you. You need to start small and work your way up. Playing people who are only a little bit above your skill level is usually the best way to do that.

But, no matter what, if you go to a tournament you will probably run into someone who just crushes you. It's natural to be demoralized by this, but instead of focusing on that feeling, try to take inspiration from the fact that that your opponent is a human being like you, not a machine, and if you work hard at it, you can be just as good as them . When that happens, you'll be able to look back and take pride in how far you've come.

My first tournament was in 2003. I got wrecked soooo bad. Even by 2003 standards I was terrible. I remember looking at the techs that people were just then discovering, and I could never imagine myself doing them. Then, at some point, I decided to start practicing, and now I've beaten more than a few of the people who used to crush me. I look back at the early metagame of Melee and realize that, if I could go back in time with the skills I have now? I would be unstoppable. I'd be the best in the world. I feel very proud of that, and I'm not even remotely close to the top today. Most competitive players who stick around for more than a few months wind up feeling the same way.

And I recognize that most times the anger's not really directed towards the opponent, but towards yourself, when someone rages, 90% they're angry at themselves for not being good enough, that's why some people do self-harm when raging at competitive games, I've done it myself, so I would know.
I understand that feeling, man. I really do. I rage when I feel like I'm playing badly, and I'm known in my city for having this problem. I sometimes verbally insult my opponent while playing, and afterwards I always feel terrible having done it.

This is the sincerest advice I can give-- Those who get angry while playing need to focus, as hard as they can, on keeping their energy directed at the game itself. It's hard. Believe me, I know, I've been playing for 10+ years and I still struggle with it. But the further I've come in controlling my anger, the more I've begun to truly enjoy myself at tournaments. Not only that, my play has improved drastically. My hope for you is that you can do the same.

I just want to practice and play againist people at my level or marginally better than me, if the wall's too big, then you can't climb it, you gotta look for slopes, and I fear that this change will build more walls and turn some slopes into walls.
Well, those levels of Smash you mentioned? Level's 2-9 are your slopes. You need to use them, and be proud of yourself when you overcome each one.

Melee's technical barriers may seem like walls, but they're more like knee-high boulders compared to the mile-high mountain that is competitive play.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Universal recovery nerfs... so pit Jiggs DDD rob and charizard all just received a buff. Including every melee vet because it is highly unlikely they will be touched overall. The only issue I have with this is that it makes nerfs for characters like diddy mario and lucas (though justifiable) that haven't won any major tourneys yet, but then leaves the melee characters virtually unchanged except sheik. Then forced to hear its for the risk reward of edge guarding to be more balanced for the current meta, when fox low-risk shine still exist.

With that being said, still appreciate the work and effort being put into the game and look forward to playing the new update. It would help if a release date is given so that we don't accidentally schedule tourneys too close to the release date of the demo update. Players need time to adjust to the new changes and learn ways to edge guard the more gimpable recoveries.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Universal recovery nerfs... so pit Jiggs DDD rob and charizard all just received a buff. Including every melee vet because it is highly unlikely they will be touched overall. The only issue I have with this is that it makes nerfs for characters like diddy mario and lucas (though justifiable) that haven't won any major tourneys yet, but then leaves the melee characters virtually unchanged except sheik. Then forced to hear its for the risk reward of edge guarding to be more balanced for the current meta, when fox low-risk shine still exist.

With that being said, still appreciate the work and effort being put into the game and look forward to playing the new update. It would help if a release date is given so that we don't accidentally schedule tourneys too close to the release date of the demo update. Players need time to adjust to the new changes and learn ways to edge guard the more gimpable recoveries.
I still don't think Mario's recovery should be nerfed that bad because in the end he has like 2 ways of recovering, and you can see both coming from a mile away...maybe make the cape only hold you in the air on the first swing.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Its more so in regard to wall jump. Down b side b triple wall jump from up b. Plus the fireball speed and damage both taking minor hits.
I fear the game may reach the point of punishing players for venturing out from the melee top tier if 8months is the most time given to adapt to an existing meta.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I will not keep discussing this point, but I will throw this argument in here:

To the people claiming that our stance on recoveries is making the game necessarily harder, I don't get why you'd come to this conclusion. Sure, recovering may be harder, but on the other hand, one could argue that it makes it easier to edgeguard.

The game's controls do not change, nor do the rules change. There is no bearing on difficulty whatsoever. What this does is make matches less lengthy and more exciting.

Furthermore, I will reiterate: we are not so in love with Melee to not see its flaws. We made this change for the good of the game, not just bcuzmelee (in fact, we don't employ that way of thinking). 3.5 is still a little ways off, so stay tuned, read the news, and try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom