• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
So all my friends are like 'OMGWTF P:M IS TOOOOO SLOOOOW MELEE IS LIKE 3 MILLION PERCENT FASTER BLAAAUUUURGH' and so while it isn't, it does feel a little different... Why?

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Latch, it's because they are in the process of restoring as much as they can from melee into P:M.

Also, with different character buffs and nerfs on different stages, some characters might feel or be slower than their melee counterpart.

leelue

Smash Lord
Perhaps it has something to do with your screen ratio thingy?
Melee tops should feel damn near identical minus something like shield mechanics and people's inability to learn how to wavedash out of shield.

Or you're on a bum projection screen or something.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So all my friends are like 'OMGWTF P:M IS TOOOOO SLOOOOW MELEE IS LIKE 3 MILLION PERCENT FASTER BLAAAUUUURGH' and so while it isn't, it does feel a little different... Why?
It probably has to do with Brawl waiting a frame to read short hop inputs. Because of this Brawl (and by extension PM, since they haven't changed this yet) feels a lot slower.

Gimpel

Smash Cadet
what
are you serious?
I don't think this makes a difference
melee only checks if you're holding the jump button one frame earlier than p:m, the jumpsquat animation takes equally long in both games and you're jumping on the same frame in both games. pretty sure it only makes short hopping easier (and to be honest, makes more sense design-wise)

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Some thoughts after playing the demo a bit:

What determines whether Wario enters free fall after side-b off stage? I can't seem to find a common link.

Link's double jump is pathetic.

I'm seeing CPUs make a weird stutter step. I've only noticed it so far with Falco on Dreamland.

What kind of matchup would you like to see TASed?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
what
are you serious?
melee only checks if you're holding the jump button one frame earlier than p:m, the jumpsquat animation takes equally long in both games and you're jumping on the same frame in both games. pretty sure it only makes short hopping easier (and to be honest, makes more sense design-wise)
It does make SHing easier, but it also contributes to the game feeling slower.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
what
are you serious?
It actually also makes full hop-> instant cstick aerial sliightly harder for all characters as well, since you have to be holding the jump button for the entire jumpsquat, so you either have to move your finger to the cstick in less than one frame (less than two frames in melee) or not do an aerial on the first frame. It's harder for 3 frame jumpsquat characters to SH in melee, but still much more doable than moving a finger to cstick in such a short time, especially when you want to do something that takes a fraction of a frame more in terms of finger position, like a back air, which takes ever so slightly longer than a dair (depending of course on button set up). In melee, although one of the windows gets like, slightly harder, the other gets significantly easier. It's actually a better system.

Of course, I guess you could just claw or rearrange your buttons, but that's asking a little much out of people that have been jumping with Y/X for 10+ years now.

EDIT: that's not like the main reason P:M feels off though, because it can be adjusted to fairly easy. Shield mechanics, landing detection, and others are more serious issues to worry about.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Maybe I misread your question, and you're actually talking about using a grounded side-B to run off the ledge, which does not put you into freefall.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

What determines whether Wario enters free fall after side-b off stage? I can't seem to find a common link.
If you are airborne when using Side B, you will enter free fall unless you hit something. Stage, opponent/shield.

If you use Side B on the ground, you can not only jump with it but DJ out of it. Same if you use Side B on the ground and go offstage: you can jump (won't count at your DJ) and then DJ out of that. Even while falling! It makes edge guarding with Side B quite viable, since Wario can use it onstage and adjust the height once if needed.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
K. I really thought I've seen him go into free fall even starting on stage though... I'll look out to confirm this.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

Link's double jump is pathetic.

I'm seeing CPUs make a weird stutter step. I've only noticed it so far with Falco on Dreamland.

What kind of matchup would you like to see TASed?
1. Wario only enters special fall from a sideb started in the air.

2. His double jump is heavily affected by Stage Collision Detection (Landing Detection) bugs.

3. This is known and will be looked into in the future.

4. I'd love to see a really cool TAS zero suit. :D

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Something I noticed. None of the Thrown animations for characters take into account things like Peach's dress (bones that aren't common to most/all characters). Because of this, that stuff acts really awkwardly when the characters are thrown- the bones revert to their T-pose stance, which results in a lot of weird clipping.
The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
-Lucario's dreadlocks and tail
-Peach's dress and hair
-Zelda's dress and hair
Pretty much any character with long hair, an article of loose clothing, or a tail.
Peach and Zelda have the most blatantly obvious issues.

I know this is probably low priority, but do you guys think you could look into fixing these issues at some point?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Maybe I misread your question, and you're actually talking about using a grounded side-B to run off the ledge, which does not put you into freefall.
This

grounded sideb will not go into freefall. aerial sideb will. Grounded sideb is just superior, and should pretty much always be the option you use. You can even run grounded sideb off stage and still use your first jump from the air, and retain your second jump as well. aerial sideb is pretty much only good for recovering.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
One use of aerial side-B is spacing it correctly so you can ledge-cancel it on a platform in front of you if you miss.

MaxThunder

PM Support
you open texture file, right click model and click preview, open all the side menus and load the motionetc.pac file and the fitcharacter.pac and you enable hitboxes and hurtboxes and stuff in the menu at the top...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Probably some of those guys that think the pinnacle of SSBM is Fox/Falco/Falcon only.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
more viable characters that happen to be slower. i don't think melee is a fast game. it's just that all of the viable characters are fast.

max i'm still having trouble. here's what i'm doing.
opening bbox (v0.67b)
file > open > fit[insertcharacterhere].pac
right click fit[insertcharacterhere].pac > preview all models
open all panels
load moveset fit[insertcharacterhere].pac
file > open > fit[insertcharacterhere].pac and then file open > fit[insertcharacterhere]motionetc.pac

i see the actions and subactions and stuff but how do i actually view the model
i keep seeing some distorted thunder gfx

i'm using pikachu btw
i think i see what i'm doing wrong.
target model is some special gfx but i don't know how to set it as pika

opening everything from pm 2.5 fighter files
do i need to have brawl files or something?

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
more viable characters that happen to be slower. i don't think melee is a fast game. it's just that all of the viable characters are fast.

opening bbox (v0.67b)
open all panels
file > open > fit[insertcharacterhere].pac and then file open > fit[insertcharacterhere]motionetc.pac

i'm using pikachu btw
Instead of clicking FitCharXX after you've opened the file go ModelData[0] > 3DModels(NW4R) > right click FitCharXX > Preview
This opens only the character model.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
IIRC, there should be a drop down list if you click on the target model. On a related topic, I'll most likely be redoing my Ike hitbox thread to be Ike 2.5 when I get more free time after APEX.

Cannedbread, you need to use a FitCharacter0#.pac. You can get an unedited brawl at http://www.tinyurl.com/brawlfiles

MaxThunder

PM Support

opening bbox (v0.67b)
open all panels

i'm using pikachu btw

opening everything from pm 2.5 fighter files
do i need to have brawl files or something?
I told you to open a te,tire file, lol... Fit(char).Pac are the moveset files... You want fot(char)xx.Pac file...

:phone:

Life

Smash Hero
Request on the forum move: rename the PM character boards. As of now they look identical to Brawl character boards on the New Post button (I can't be the only person who uses that right?) which could cause confusion.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Has there been any news for a fix on the Riivo setup? Is this something that will be publicly announced, like a change in the title thread? I feel bad pestering to ask every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom