• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
This isn't really right. The playable characters will be the same playable characters that the devs have. Just because we have some extra characters that don't work properly or freeze the game doesn't mean that anything else is outdated. 29 characters (which are the ones that have received serious playtesting) will be the same for you as it is for the PMBR. It won't be a "pretty fresh" build, it will be THE FRESHEST STABLE BUILD for those 29 characters.
When did I say outdated? When did i say it's a piss old build? Also when I said it's not the same as the devs it's because THE DEVS HAVE ALL THE CHARACTERS BUILDS, also THE DEVS CAN'T UPDATE THE REVISION AT THE SAME TIME THE DEMO DOES, so it's not the freshest build, it's a really up to date one but not the new revision from 10 minutes ago (take in mind the update constantly the rev number).

Thank for listening.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Complete Demo 2 Roster and Character Select Screen!

Click the picture to go to the website where you can view character pages for Luigi, Ness, Peach, Pikachu, and Pit!

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I really hope they held off the demo to make sure the character writeups were finished.

That would be tops.
IMO that would've been a bad decision. I think most people would rather play the characters rather than read about them.

:phone:

PEEF!

Smash Hero
When did I say outdated? When did i say it's a piss old build? Also when I said it's not the same as the devs it's because THE DEVS HAVE ALL THE CHARACTERS BUILDS, also THE DEVS CAN'T UPDATE THE REVISION AT THE SAME TIME THE DEMO DOES, so it's not the freshest build, it's a really up to date one but not the new revision from 10 minutes ago (take in mind the update constantly the rev number).

Thank for listening.
You said it was outdated when you said it "will be an older build."

Let's say I have 9 fresh pieces of fruit and one rotten one, and I give you the same 9 fresh pieces of fruit. If I have all 10, does this make my fruit basket fresher than yours? The dev version of Project:M has random dead ends and stuff like that, so no you won't be getting the exact version that the devs have, but you will be getting the freshest and best build available, the same one that we will be playing for the 29 characters that are being released. Your Bowser will be the latest and best Bowser that the devs have. Equal freshness. Just because you don't have the rotten fruit aka nonworking characters and dead end builds doesn't mean that the public build will be any less fresh. The build will be a full catch-up to where the devs themselves are. Not an "old build" not a "pretty new build" but the freshest build, with the rotten stuff cut out.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion

Click the picture to go to the website where you can view character pages for Luigi, Ness, Peach, Pikachu, and Pit!
It's a thing of beauty.

I bet the PMBR crams their homework assignments. If the date had been the 14th we would have gotten it at 12:00 am Sunday and the current deadline would still be reached. Note: I'm joking slightly.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, I've noticed you've given a lot of different characters meteors but not spikes.

Is there a reason why spikes are usually avoided?

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice

Let's say I have 9 fresh pieces of fruit and one rotten one, and I give you the same 9 fresh pieces of fruit. If I have all 10, does this make my fruit basket fresher than yours? The dev version of Project:M has random dead ends and stuff like that, so no you won't be getting the exact version that the devs have, but you will be getting the freshest and best build available, the same one that we will be playing for the 29 characters that are being released. Your Bowser will be the latest and best Bowser that the devs have. Equal freshness. Just because you don't have the rotten fruit aka nonworking characters and dead end builds doesn't mean that the public build will be any less fresh. The build will be a full catch-up to where the devs themselves are. Not an "old build" not a "pretty new build" but the freshest build, with the rotten stuff cut out.
While your analogy is correct, it still isn't the latest build PEEF. Go to the P:M page leave it there and refresh the page 20 minutes later. See that the number grew larger? Well it's a new revision, therefore making it newer than the Version we will get. Yes me saying that it's older was maybe a bit exaggerate but that does not make you completely correct as well. So please stop the useless argument.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman

I was going to say Dedede and Ganon should switch places to keep all the zelda characters together, but then I realized it's modeled after the melee roster layout again.

PHD

Smash Apprentice

You can branch code in subversion, so it's not totally unreasonable to think that we wouldn't be getting the latest dev build. I'm a little surprised that you guys only work off of one branch to be honest.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Only weird thing for me is that King Dedede is just Dedede. Doesn't the American game add the "king" for the announcer?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
While your analogy is correct, it still isn't the latest build PEEF. Go to the P:M page leave it there and refresh the page 20 minutes later. See that the number grew larger? Well it's a new revision, therefore making it newer than the Version we will get. Yes me saying that it's older was maybe a bit exaggerate but that does not make you completely correct as well. So please stop the useless argument.
After we release demo 2, we're all going to pass out and do nothing on Project M for like two weeks.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Jesus..... do you not realize that the reason we are revising is FOR the version you will get?! The public demo is not done, that is what is being revised!! We do not have our own little public demo version sitting in a closet and are just holding off. It is being worked right now. Thats why there are new revisions.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Watching a person master those 3 again would be repetitive and unneeded, we never actually got to see how airbending is mastered so it's new material, and the masked man can stop chi flow like Ty Lee could in the first series, do that, slash someone up with a sword and he could kill any bender out there, I think that's enough of a threat.
When did the masked man do that? Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember that. I did say I was reserving future judgements until the end of the season, but as of episode 1 he hasn't done anything.

I disagree with all of this. I really like the fact that Korra isn't just repeating the same training as the first show. Air bending should be tough because she ain't a monk and she doesn't think like one. How she finds a practical use for the air fighting stance in episode 2 is brilliant,

Firelord Ozai wasn't set up as the big bad for a while. Amon hasn't revealed himself yet so your really jumping the gun on judging him as a villian.
I agree about not entirely repeating stuff, but a bit of retread wouldn't be terrible. If nothing else this series is set, what, 70 years after the first one? It's reasonable to assume bending has advanced so we could still see her mastering new stuff. As for Ozai, yes he wasn't set up as the big bad from the start, but we knew from the beginning that the Fire Nation were the primary antagonists and why they were a threat to everyone. The masked man as of what has been shown on TV hasn't done anything besides say, "Exactly as planned" in an incredibly ambiguous way. I'm probably not going to complain further until the end of the season though, as the first season finale was when the first series started getting really good for me.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
When this baby drops, I probably will.

Related note, group of friends and I did karaoke there last night. Alcohol was involved, as was fun.

Also, after reading Pit's page, I'm honestly a little less excited for him. Not that I think you guys did something wrong, this is just a rare moment where I realize I kinda liked some of his set up in Brawl (his post-jump glide, mostly). Oh well.

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
Overhead shield bash for pit sounds like a strange choice for a move compared to something like a Shoryuken style upercut with his blades, or a spinning tornado style jump (like Sonic's brawl F-Air but upwards). I guess I'll have to see it in action before I judge.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I was going to say Dedede and Ganon should switch places to keep all the zelda characters together, but then I realized it's modeled after the melee roster layout again.
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf belong together. Plus at least his square is touching Toon Link. Wait... that sounded wrong.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I believe what PEEF is trying to explain is that, when we release the demo, it will be the absolute most current build we have. The only thing that won't be the same is the roster. As he said, the revision count is going up with changes that will be included in the demo build. We're not working on anything that won't be in the demo today.

cmart

Smash Lord
You can branch code in subversion, so it's not totally unreasonable to think that we wouldn't be getting the latest dev build. I'm a little surprised that you guys only work off of one branch to be honest.
It's not that we don't have separate versions, incubators, testbeds, demo versions etc
It's that the revision counter counts for the entirety of the project, including all of that. So the revisions you see going up now are for the demo yes. I guess the counter is slightly mislabeled is all

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Hm, no yoshi and samus.. very interesting.
I thought yoshi would've made it, but I guess not. As for samus, as people have stated in the past, I suppose Zamus wasn't exactly in the right spot in terms of balance so I suppose Samus got held back as a result, which is unfortunate.

As for everyone else, I'm very happy with this roster (as Tink and pit are present!) and I can't wait to pit them up against the rest of the demo2 roster as well! Great work, team PM!

..Now if only monday could come around.. :p

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I thought yoshi would've made it, but I guess not. As for samus, as people have stated in the past, I suppose Zamus wasn't exactly in the right spot in terms of balance so I suppose Samus got held back as a result, which is unfortunate.

As for everyone else, I'm very happy with this roster (as Tink and pit are present!) and I can't wait to pit them up against the rest of the demo2 roster as well! Great work, team PM!

You didn't....

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Jesus..... do you not realize that the reason we are revising is FOR the version you will get?! The public demo is not done, that is what is being revised!! We do not have our own little public demo version sitting in a closet and are just holding off. It is being worked right now. Thats why there are new revisions.
Ok, I rest my case, it was an useless argument anyway ;)

Peace PEEF

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Oh, I also appreciate the fact that the character select screen was layed out similarly to melee's CSS.

(ganon on top of tink, falcon and ganon together, spacies all on the left, etc etc)

...ganonontopoftink

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
There SHOULD be a Riivolution option. So I wouldn't worry.
Thanks for the answer

When did the masked man do that? Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember that. I did say I was reserving future judgements until the end of the season, but as of episode 1 he hasn't done anything.
That's what his organization does, if you read interviews about the show before it was released you would've known, well now you do :awesome:

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet

I would think that the Other:M roll was what was holding Samus back. And I personally am opposed to the Other:M roll. SO even though I'm a Samus main, I'm glad Samus isn't in Demo 2.

Revven

FrankerZ
I have a question, I've noticed you've given a lot of different characters meteors but not spikes.

Is there a reason why spikes are usually avoided?
Spikes are generally really good, they are cherry-picked on who gets them because of how potent they can be. That's all there is to it, really.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not going to lie. Korra was extremely disappointing . Besides 70 years equating to what looked like 150 by the technology, the fact that Korra has the most trouble learning air bending doesn't really make much sense considering there was a theme set up that avatars have trouble learning their opposite element. The character's personality isn't much to look at either. "Hot headed female," seems to be her only defining quality. Katara and Toph were more than cutouts, while Korra gets the most generic personality for a female heroine possible. I'd like to see a lower stance in her technique looking at her outfit, but that's a more asthetic matter.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
126 people in this thread.

It's not enough. We need more!

The devs must know that 300 Smashers gave all of their lives, time, and boredom into this wait! D<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom