• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
That just seems limiting...

What if I want to use fair as a kill option or as a combo option? Same with usmash or uair or basically just about anything.
I just don't think Olimar needs the ability to switch up the uses of his attacks like that to feel true to himself or to be effective.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but I think the disjoint on most of his attacks is unique enough that he doesn't need to overuse the pikmin as a gimmick.

:phone:

humble

Smash Ace
Shanus, you're making me wish I was still PM:BR and could help design chars. I think your ideas could work, and are awesome, but you are right in that they do not create a distinct playstyle in and of themselves, and Olimar still probably wouldn't "click" as a melee character. That doesn't mean the ideas aren't of merit, but rather, the character needs more fleshing out. Think about how these two mechanics work, they emphasize the positioning of pikmin individually, it leans towards a more nuanced and careful manipulation of your resource (pikmin), as opposed to brawlimar, where pikmin are extremely disposable, positioning matters little, and so he plays similiar to any other character, despite his unique resource. In reworking olimar's moveset for P:M, I suggest stressing that unique resorce, find ways to make players more concious of it, more dependent on it, and more in control of it. I'm thinking of things like a greatly reduced pluck speed, to emphasize that you need to be more careful with your pikmin, you don't just instantly spawn 6 more in half a second. Things like maybe having Pikmin that are a certain distance away from Olimar remain there, until he gets near or uses whistle to recall them, thus allowing interesting placement for disjoints, more control over where they are, etc.

Anyway, you always come up with awesome characters, and I think the two ideas of yours have merit and should continue to be worked on. There's an awesome potential there, you just have to polish it until that coal turns to diamond.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I'm betting that Shanus does such a good job because he knows how to drop an idea that sounds good but, for whatever reason, doesn't work.

A lot of people have difficulty letting go of an idea they like when it's not working. If he says it's no good, I'm inclined to believe him.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Things like maybe having Pikmin that are a certain distance away from Olimar remain there, until he gets near or uses whistle to recall them, thus allowing interesting placement for disjoints, more control over where they are, etc.
...aka: go far away, pikmin stands there idly, you do Usmash, that pikmin as well as the one you use Usmash for, Do Usmash?

MaxThunder

PM Support
Ok so there was an epic battle between snake and falcon in PEEF's stream... over who is the most manliest character in project m...
I kept a score... and i actually put a lot of effort in this so it is accurate...

Edit: i put up spoiler protectors too... for those who doesn't want to know the score yet...

Falcon - Snake|Number of matches: (26)
Match:12-14 |Set:9-4

Best of:
3:Falcon
5:Snake
7:Falcon
9:Snake
11:Falcon
13:Falcon
15:Falcon
17:Falcon
19:Falcon
21:Falcon
23:Falcon
25:Snake
27:Snake

My conclusion: it ended even... snake took more matches but falcon took more sets...
and PEEF you complained that falcon couldn't have taken that many sets... He won two matches in a row in the best of 13 set, winning that one... and you kept taking turns winning...
Whenever someone had a 2 point lead before the last match of a set, or a 1 point lead after the last match, then i counted him as the winner of that set and started the next one...
so PEEF... since you won 3 matches in a row at the end there... if you had kept going like you two had done before, you would have begun taking sets again...

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You shoud adjust that to be matches instead of sets, but it was super epic. Here were the matches.

SPOILER ALERT: The video will be up 2maro!! If you dont want to see exact results then just wait!

Falcon (The#Jay) - Snake (PEEF)|Number of matches26)
Match:12-14 |Set:9-4

Match #

1: Falcon
2: Snake
3: Falcon
4: Snake
5: Snake
6: Falcon
7: Falcon
8: Snake
9: Falcon
10: Snake
11: Falcon
12: Snake
13: Falcon
14: Falcon
15: Snake
16: Falcon
17: Snake
18: Falcon
19: Falcon
20: Snake
21: Falcon
22: Snake
23: Snake
24: Falcon
25: Snake
26: Snake

MaxThunder

PM Support
You mean list who won each individual match?... that would be hard... i could make a semi-accurate list by using the set victories... but since you two won twice in a row a few times i'd need to watch the thign again to make it perfectly accurate...

... and i might... just gotta eat breakfast first...

Edit: hm... you sure that's correct?... does not look completely accurate... i'll count it later i guess..

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I think I have it right, correct me if wrong, but please put the spoiler tag on what you wrote and any discussion of it before the video is released!!

MaxThunder

PM Support
I just did... and i'll check through it properly later so we know we have an accurate score=)...

Edit: following your list, the score ends up
13-13
... so it's a little bit off... i'll correct it after you get the thing uploaded...

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of Olimar, he always seemed like he'd be a character that relied on careful set-up and micromanaging. Perhaps use Pikmin as traps as well as ammo? Not sure about the realm of what's possible, but maybe have it so Olimar can litter the stage with Pikmin, that would have their own hitboxes and need to be killed?

Might be to campy for melee though. Just a thought.

EDIT: Watching some Snake, and while I know he's subject to change, he looks really slick. How viable is dtilt > utilt > short hop nair as a combo? Is there any follow up? If not, should I dair, and would I get a chance to jab? Also, it looks like it's easier to sticky people now, does it fall and stick, or do you still have to be super adjacent? It's cool if you're still too deep in the dev process to answer these.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
i don't got money to blow on games that aren't good bro. Im not against splitting up Ice climbers if it's possible to make Ice Climber work(i don't think it would work out). I wouldn't want olimar to be a kinda character that could be chucked off the stage and killed because he has no Pikmin.
Pikmin was great. Are you on drugs?

No, really, are you? Detective Vic Mackey is asking, and he doesn't look pleased.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I have an idea for Olimar.
Keep him the way he is from brawl, but make him more campy and defensive and add a little more hitstun to his attacks so he can combo.

Please say if you like this idea.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
I like Jackpot's idea of binding the pikmin colors to the individual d-pad arrows. That's pretty legit. I hate pulling random pikmin.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I also really like the idea of the pikmin footstool, especially if Olimar can act quickly out of it. This allows Olimar to farm faster without having to throw pikmin offstage and wait for them to die. They're immediately dead, and he can start plucking more, allowing him much more control over his line.
Wow, I hadn't thought of using it that way. For a lot of directions that Olimar's playstyle could take, this would be a very useful ability, even if the recovery-buffing element is.
Though, when using it for this purpose, you'll want to stay on the ground so you can pluck pikmin immediately. Thus, regardless of what it would do in the air (even still the tether), on the ground it should not work as a footstool. And so, for anyone who's played Banjo-Tooie, it should be obvious (or maybe not) what immediately came to mind.
+1 support for most hilarious, most sadistic move in the game.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Are there going to be made any changes to Big Blue as a stage? I was kind of sad it wasn't in the demo.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
Idea spam.

[COLLAPSE="Cuz everyone loves/hates people who don't know what they're talking about."]Olimar's side-b does two things: Smash throws the pikmin, tilt commands the first pikmin to walk forward horribly slow. The hardest part to code would be one walking pikmin at a time only.

What does a walking pikmin do? Who knows? What could it do?

a) A walking hitbox designed to interrupt campers, or (more likely) piss people off. The hitbox does not induce flinching until higher percentages of damage, or if the Pikmin has a flower on their head. If not called back by whistle, the pikmin just walks off the edge.

b) A free desynched Pikmin. Olimar performs any smash attack, and both the first Pikmin beside him and the walking Pikmin perform them. With down smash, the walking Pikmin goes the opposite direction it was walking.

c) Get rid of Pikmin.

After the smash attack/whistle, the walking Pikmin comes back, no hitbox. If it hit a wall...it dies. Pikmin are just that stupid in Brawl.[/COLLAPSE]

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If we're overhauling a character, what's the point of uploading videos of an outdated version? tbh any older videos with Snake should probably be taken down since they aren't representative of the final product and they'll just confuse people.

Stevo

Smash Champion
since we have already seen the old snake and it is supposed to be hype matches, I don't think it would be the end of the world.

but perhaps I'm forgetting how crazy fans + internet works.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wow, I hadn't thought of using it that way. For a lot of directions that Olimar's playstyle could take, this would be a very useful ability, even if the recovery-buffing element is.
Though, when using it for this purpose, you'll want to stay on the ground so you can pluck pikmin immediately. Thus, regardless of what it would do in the air (even still the tether), on the ground it should not work as a footstool. And so, for anyone who's played Banjo-Tooie, it should be obvious (or maybe not) what immediately came to mind.
+1 support for most hilarious, most sadistic move in the game.
I was thinking he could just act immediately once he's airborne out of the grounded UpB. Bam--killdashing (wavekilling?)! But your idea's a good one, too.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
So I have an idea for Olimar's recovery. Every single Pikmin in the chain has a hitbox on every side of it which is maintained for a limited amount of time (to discourage camping). I don't claim to know much about Olimar (I actually barely know anything about him), but it seems like it could help his recovery without being broken.

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty disappointed that you took away Snake's crouch. It was a great way of dealing with most camping shenanigans.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
http://www.twitch.tv/jcaesar

Streaming like, all weekend.

Let's see, who's here...
JCaesar (obv)
Thunderhorse
cmart
quinnydinny
Yeroc
Neko + friend
Vigilante + friend (not here yet)
Ryoko (not here yet)
CTL (not here yet)
Maybe a few others

We're gonna do a tournament tomorrow. Hyyyyype!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I was thinking he could just act immediately once he's airborne out of the grounded UpB. Bam--killdashing (wavekilling?)! But your idea's a good one, too.
Hm, yeah, that could also be a possibility. It'd also have the benefit(?) of resembling the most fatal game of leapfrog.
If given the required properties, it could also work as a makeshift DJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom