• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Im loving the game but I just had a serious problem with my wii and I was wondering if it could be related to project M?

Ever since I started using project M my wii has been have a hard time reading the brawl disk, even when I start up vbrawl. Everytime I try to boot the game through Gecko it says there is an error and its not reading it even as a brawl disk anymore. I always would get it work eventually till today...

I can play Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and melee, they all work fine; but Brawl simply will not load. I have tried 5 different copy's of brawl, 2 of which were almost new and cleaned with alcohol. Can anyone offer any help?
This happend to me. Eventually my wii stopped reading disks all together.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There's 3 levels of disc reading.

Level 1: The easiest for the Wii to do. Even Wiis with damage disc drives can sometimes even still reach level 1, of which is reading gamecube discs.
Level 2: Standard Wii games, requires more power and speed than level 1.
Level 3: Dual layered discs like Brawl and Other M are here. They're difficult for the Wii to read, and the first to go when a disc drive begins to go bad.

Basically, during Gecko OS's launch, shake your Wii around a bit in order to get your disc spinning faster, once it hits level 3, it'll stay there. It's sort of a twist motion, but you'll get the hang of it when you get it once. It's annoying, but it's the only way to get Brawl to read without replacing the drive.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
shake your Wii around a bit in order to get your disc spinning faster, once it hits level 3, it'll stay there. It's sort of a twist motion, but you'll get the hang of it when you get it once. It's annoying, but it's the only way to get Brawl to read without replacing the drive.
You sir, are ignorant.

Anyways, AI Demo Stream. Probably gonna start in like 10 minutse
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dantarion's-capture-stream-test

Ill just be demoing how Brawl AI sorta works, idk, you people like watching ****.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
My Wii stopped reading all discs, that means the laser is dead right?

Also, what exactly was changed with castle siege? Just death boundaries?

Anyways, AI Demo Stream. Probably gonna start in like 10 minutse
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dantarion's-capture-stream-test

Ill just be demoing how Brawl AI sorta works, idk, you people like watching ****.
It's a madhouse!!!

Awesomeness lol

You what annoys me still, how bad SSE is, it's just so boring, if we could make it like streets of rage using the HP system in the game that would just be great, is it possible to force the HP option into SSE?

Revven

FrankerZ
The reason ICs are not being worked on isn't because of Nana's AI, it's because of how annoying they are to work with coding wise. So no, that doesn't mean we'll be working on ICs. Sure, it'd be nice to edit Nana's AI but what Dantarion is doing is normal CPUs which afaik have no relation or connection to Nana's AI.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
There's 3 levels of disc reading.

Level 1: The easiest for the Wii to do. Even Wiis with damage disc drives can sometimes even still reach level 1, of which is reading gamecube discs.
Level 2: Standard Wii games, requires more power and speed than level 1.
Level 3: Dual layered discs like Brawl and Other M are here. They're difficult for the Wii to read, and the first to go when a disc drive begins to go bad.

Basically, during Gecko OS's launch, shake your Wii around a bit in order to get your disc spinning faster, once it hits level 3, it'll stay there. It's sort of a twist motion, but you'll get the hang of it when you get it once. It's annoying, but it's the only way to get Brawl to read without replacing the drive.
How much would replacing a drive cost?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
The best thing to do if you have a large enough USB hard drive (I think Brawl's ISO is around 8GB) is to use a USB loader, which I can't talk about further on here, but if you go to We Hack Wii you'll likely find the answers to your questions.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Lol it works though.

I did that for like 3 months before I finally got a new disc drive.
Do you really thing the speed the disc spins has to do with how easy it is for the Wii to read it?
The issue with the Wii is the calibration of the lazer.

Early Wiis were NOT calibrated to real dual layer discs, so you either got lucky and yours worked, or people got retail copies of Brawl that didn't work on their Wiis.
Nintendo even had a thing where you could send your Wii back with a copy of Brawl and they would fix it for you. Over time, the lazer weakens to the point where it doesn't read any discs.
However, if you adjust the pot and give more power to the lazer, it will get weaker faster.

The PS2 had the same problem, although the PS2 had CD and DVD based games, and vastly different qualities of DVD games.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Hey Dant to you have your AI stream saved from last night? I think it would be interesting to see.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
My Wii stopped reading all discs, that means the laser is dead right?

Also, what exactly was changed with castle siege? Just death boundaries?

It's a madhouse!!!

Awesomeness lol

You what annoys me still, how bad SSE is, it's just so boring, if we could make it like streets of rage using the HP system in the game that would just be great, is it possible to force the HP option into SSE?

dude i sent my wii to nintendo 3 times... first time was legit, because it wouldnt read brawl. the next time i got it back it had problem reading DL dvds (brawl) in due time. homebrew and cioss were installed.. i just called them up and told um i was having the same disc reading problem. i sent it out, they fixed it... same thing happened again, and i had homebrew on it as well.. they fixed it.... again. And they replaced like the flaps and buffed the heck out of the system! haha just tell them it doesnt read brawl anymore and you know many people have had the same problem!

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Showed my melee friends PM yesterday n day before, they hated it... they said it was better than brawl but left it at that. They didn't like how the combos and hitstun were different and the top tier characters played differently, even though I thought PM wasn't going to change those for the top tier characters. I only play sheik and marth and the only difference I note is that sheik's wavedash is way better in P:M due to the lack of friction data. Apparently shine isn't effective with fox b/c it has reduced hitstun??? Why would you guys do that? C falcon apparently had a lot more survivability and basically a lot of moves had different hitstun (less), and sheild pressuring is harder, I thought you guys wouldn't change up that stuff...

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Showed my melee friends PM yesterday n day before, they hated it... they said it was better than brawl but left it at that. They didn't like how the combos and hitstun were different and the top tier characters played differently, even though I thought PM wasn't going to change those for the top tier characters. I only play sheik and marth and the only difference I note is that sheik's wavedash is way better in P:M due to the lack of friction data. Apparently shine isn't effective with fox b/c it has reduced hitstun??? Why would you guys do that? C falcon apparently had a lot more survivability and basically a lot of moves had different hitstun (less), and sheild pressuring is harder, I thought you guys wouldn't change up that stuff...
Hitstun is exactly the same. The wavedash lengths have been corrected in the patch, along with many other things. So please, when we release the patch, do try to get your friends to give it a second chance. :)

Master WGS

Smash Lord
People who complain about miniscule changes in their characters just go to show how bad at video games they are. What, you can't adapt? L2Pnub

Anyway, I still think Snake's grab range should be equal to/greater than Marth's. I don't care how this is achieved (make Marth's worse/make Snake's better), it just doesn't make sense that a CQC master doesn't have the greatest non-tool-assisted grab range.

EDIT: This is me assuming that Marth has the best handgrab range. If I'm wrong, please substitute Marth with whoever DOES have it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Just saying that this is a "demo". I personally would not have released it because of DI and LD, to prevent giving false assumptions. Us supporters should be responsible for being very clear about this. Tell them that a patch is underway (Or don't play them until the patch). And tell them that there are "known" issues. They are working to fix them.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
People who complain about miniscule changes in their characters just go to show how bad at video games they are. What, you can't adapt? L2Pnub

Anyway, I still think Snake's grab range should be equal to/greater than Marth's. I don't care how this is achieved (make Marth's worse/make Snake's better), it just doesn't make sense that a CQC master doesn't have the greatest non-tool-assisted grab range.

EDIT: This is me assuming that Marth has the best handgrab range. If I'm wrong, please substitute Marth with whoever DOES have it.
This is gonna happen no matter what. Until everything is exactly like Melee people (even me sadly) will just only kinda take the game seriously and play melee.

People are expecting melee 2.0, but people don't have patience. They're still in alpha, that's not even CLOSE to being done yet it's stil feels 75% melee (the landing detection man).

edit: and by exactly the same I mean Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Sheik, and marth should be exactly the the same and only SLIGHT changes to the high tiers and buffs for everyone else.

R00R

Smash Journeyman
Lol it works though.

I did that for like 3 months before I finally got a new disc drive.
Its isnt working for me, maybe Im doing it wrong
Could you be more specific in how I twist/shake it?

You advised someone to shake their wii to get the disc spinning faster.

Also the cost of a drive..
http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-WII-DVD-DRIVE-COMPLEET-627385940921/dp/B002W5OWXM
If you can't install it yourself....then you are gonna have problems.
You can adjust the pot on your lazer, but thats relatively hard to do for someone who hasn't opened their wii before.
I live in NYC... I bet I can find someone to install this **** for me.
My roommates have wiis but they are updated, can I still install home-brew on them and play project M?

I might just buy another wii off craigs list or something.
Why do all my electronics break at the same time. =(

Thanks for the help

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
Spikes kinda suck if you don't get hit by them.
-DD
if this was on facebook, you would have gotten like 9,000 likes :)

EDIT:

P:M is so amasing, that my tv exploded... thus I cannot play it till I get a new tv XD

hahaha, I enjoy the project to the max extend, and my tv crashes cause of the awsomeness of the project

leelue

Smash Lord
@ the guy with the Brock avatar
I don't think it is fair to say "melee people" or players won't take it seriously. I took melee seriously. So did a couple friends. Right now, we have a playgroup of about 8 and counting who play every week on Project Thursdays in Queens. The people who don't take it seriously are somewhat closed minded or can't/won't adjust to a new game.
I think it feel weird, yes. But then I turn a couple frames of buffer on and presto chango, its ****.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Well, the people competitive *ATM* aren't going to take it seriously.

And that's the point, people don't WANT to play a new game. That's why we play melee in the first place. We don't want new melee, we want updated melee. But i can't really speak for everyone. Obviously there's people who don't care they just want new **** with a similar physics.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
How do you change the frames of buffer?

Also, how much buffer would you recommend?
go to options, turn handicap on. The % is related to the frames of buffer. Buffer is the amount of frames that passes between your button press and the start of the action.

Percent = Buffer
10% = 1 frame buffer
20% = 2 frame buffer
30% = 3 frame buffer
40% = 4 frame buffer
50% = 5 frame buffer
60% = 6 frame buffer
70% = 7 frame buffer
80% = 8 frame buffer
90% = 9 frame buffer
100% = 10 frame buffer (this is what regular brawl uses BTW)
110% and up = 10 frame buffer

Buffer is set to 0 automatically unless you change it in the options -> handicap.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Obviously there's people who don't care they just want new **** with the exact same physics.
Fix'd. :awesome:

It's already very, very similar. More similar that any actual sequel would be expected to be. The issue is that we're not expected to be "The sequel to Melee," but instead "Everything good about Melee, everything decent about Melee, and new awesome stuff."

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Uh, they didn't. The hitstun is exactly the same. Your friends are dumb.

EDIT: Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
Well, the people competitive *ATM* aren't going to take it seriously.

And that's the point, people don't WANT to play a new game. That's why we play melee in the first place. We don't want new melee, we want updated melee. But i can't really speak for everyone. Obviously there's people who don't care they just want new **** with a similar physics.
I think your right about this.

People who have devoted many year to play in a game where they could excel and be great, and to show their skill shouldn't stop playing the game cause something new came to the market.

If Project M, could take on and agree to make this game not a new one, but make all 25 characters in melee 100% the same.

After the process of transering all characters back, then there comes the "Premium moment" buffing all the cast which needed buffs a.k.a "some" low tiers, some, yes.

Some characters had minor disadvantages that made them worst to all the cast, like:

- Tech roll that didin't moved the characters very far
- Dodges
- Lack of range

and a few others

me <------------------------- had minor tourney experience, and I don't post that much either

So keep on the debate on making New game vs. Update a great game which could make SSBM players (stands for Super Smash Bros. Melee) play this without the further discution of playing 2 different games.

HAVE FUN WITH THE PROJECT PEOPLE!

EDIT:

Fix'd. :awesome:

It's already very, very similar. More similar that any actual sequel would be expected to be. The issue is that we're not expected to be "The sequel to Melee," but instead "Everything good about Melee, everything decent about Melee, and new awesome stuff."
is project M devs aiming this to be a big hit on the tournament side?

if you look at Capcom, they have one of the biggest tourney scene (SF games) and thats because Capcom listens to fans, players and tournament assistant players.

Maybe in time, the Project M Devs should think about giving some ears/eyes to this discution

and my grammar sucks if some of my words are written akward :S

EDIT2:

Fixed an error... SSMB -----> SSBM*

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Somebody said their laser no longer reads discs... I had this happen to me a few years ago and Nintendo had to replace it. It happened because Brawl is dual layered and the Wii couldn't work consistently because it wasn't meant to play that kind of disc since Nintendo can't even make their system properly. I would definitely check their website because I suspect that's why it's busted.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Its isnt working for me, maybe Im doing it wrong
Could you be more specific in how I twist/shake it?
You do a really sudden 90 degree clockwise jolt from the normal vertical position as the game is spinning up to speed. Smoothly bring it back up after that to do more jolts. It will take 1-3 jolts to get Brawl up to speed.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
At the very least Snake should have at least better grab range than he does now.

also

Do you really thing the speed the disc spins has to do with how easy it is for the Wii to read it?
The issue with the Wii is the calibration of the lazer.

Early Wiis were NOT calibrated to real dual layer discs, so you either got lucky and yours worked, or people got retail copies of Brawl that didn't work on their Wiis.
Nintendo even had a thing where you could send your Wii back with a copy of Brawl and they would fix it for you. Over time, the lazer weakens to the point where it doesn't read any discs.
However, if you adjust the pot and give more power to the lazer, it will get weaker faster.

The PS2 had the same problem, although the PS2 had CD and DVD based games, and vastly different qualities of DVD games.
Thank you for explaining this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom