• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Dantarion, I don't see how your post counters mine. In the end, I said that an AI cannot learn beyond the capacity of what it is programmed for. Or rather, it can't modify the framework within which it is learning. If you use a simple "if A does not work, do B", it will never go "Hey, I should try them together" for example. There is no denying that. Unless you give AI an infinite amount of possible inputs, it can't "create" its own if it is not within its intentionally programmed framework. For example, you can't teach an AI how to speak gramatically. It will function until it stumbles on exceptions or conflict of semantics.

An AI can learn, and I've said it, in a closed system through statistical analysis. You mentioned correlations, and that is what they do. However, if the AI is programmed to see air-dodging as a dodging move, and a dodging move only, it will never "innovate" and go "Hey, I can move faster with this".

And here we are at a semantics divide. You considered "learning" as choice based on statistical data. I would call this learning within limits. An AI couldn't innovate outside of its coding. You as a human set the conditions for learning. That just didn't enter my definition of "learning". Because learning requires understanding what you are doing, according to my operational definition. Maybe the lingo for programming is different. But yeah, statistical analysis is possible.

So why are we debating over this if we both agreed on learning in a closed system? O_o

Vigilante

Smash Lord
In doubles, some characters fare very well, and some comboes fit great too. Luigi has decent finishers for example.

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
Give CPUs East Coast DI.

with a 10% chance of West Coast DI.
LMFAO.

Also about the CPUs thing, i think it would be awesome, in a sense a player could do much more self improvement instead of always having to go to tourneys to work on everything other than tech skill.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, well mind games can only be useful on humans, but making smarter decisions also means fighting a more realistic opponent.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Neko's usually good at comebacks, yeah. Only reason I didn't answer was because I have strong anti-clerical views and it would derail the thread.
Just saying, derailing this thread is like derailing a train sitting at a bottom of a canyon. There's a reason this thread has over 2000 pages. I will say though that I admire your choice to not start another flame war, this thread already has more of those than some forums.

Rikana

Smash Champion
(What's an topicality?)
Its when new blog posts are made.

Oh wait.

Yogurt.

curry candied bacon

Has anyone been playing the demo lately though? Just curious. I don't think anyone really plays it anymore because everyone is just anxiously waiting for the patch that improves so many things.

MissingNo.

Smash Cadet
I'll say right now that after I found out about the DI fixes I quit playing Project M and went back to Melee when I was playing with friends. I got too excited, and couldn't handle knowing that a patch would be coming that fixes DI. If LD gets fixed, I can't see myself playing Melee nearly as much anymore. Hype is off the charts on a personal level.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Think of it this way, that is a sign that the character isn't finished and that they will eventually recieve TLC to make sure that they are viable.

For instance, I'm willing to wait for Yoshi if it means that he's good.
It's been a long time since I played a smash game where Yoshi wasn't balls.

shanus

Smash Hero
It's a pretty premature response to stop playing the demo in anticipation for the patch given that we said will take a while to get out.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Eh, I'm going back to Melee and practicing in that for the moment. It works somewhat, since I play YL/GaW.

Rikana

Smash Champion
It's a pretty premature response to stop playing the demo in anticipation for the patch given that we said will take a while to get out.
Its all a matter of personal preference. Its like how you wouldn't play Brawl for your own reasons. I gave the demo a try and liked it for the time being (I still appreciate all the effort and the mod itself) but it became dry for me when less people were playing and also because it was still missing a lot of mechanics. Its refreshing to play but a lot of people are too accustomed to Melee (not asking for a carbon copy but its the mechanics which attract many players). What's good about the patch is that there is something to look forward to; so, I don't see it as anything bad or premature about it. It is still an ongoing project after all.

Until then, I'll be going back to Melee until the patch is out. I hope everything's going smoothly in the backroom.

Edit: I just realized something. I'm sure the next generation Wii will put out at least 720 and it'll be a smart move for them to allow backwards compatibility, does this mean we can play PM (abuse dat stage building bug) on a LCD without lag?? Or even better, Melee on LCD without lag??? (by "without lag" I mean minimum lag unlike the current response times of Wiis with LCDs) Sounds too good to be true for some reason. How does it work anyways? Does it depend on the game or the hardware? I'm pretty sure its the hardwares.. so it should work.. I hope.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I'm guessing project m will be playable on every console that can play brawl via hackless method. I just hope that if nintendo makes another smash, they build it off of brawl since, "it came out perfectly and doesn't need any improvement whatsoever". So we can just port pm over.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Errr.... they're gonna encrypt it differently and such and I hope that they build the engine from scratch.
Encryption methods can get very crazy, just look at MGS3 and note how nothing was ripped from that game still......

Moving on, take your time with things please.....

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
That's somewhat irrelevant, given there are over 30000 posts in this thread. Regardless I think we can both agree this thread has a lot of useless crap in it. As for the second part, I have no ideal, it isn't in my post at all. Here's what I found online. EDIT, ninja'd.
I was trolling. Looks like it worked.

Personally, I play P:M less because the initial hype has died down an I have to move on to work. Plus my friends are stupid.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
I still think the demo is just as awesome as the first day it was released. Even just waiting for the patch my hype hasn't died down, if anything it makes me want to play it more in anticipation for the patch.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
@ Rikana
From my understanding of it, being someone who cannot stand even the least bit of input lag (so sue me), it has to do with both the game and the hardware. But the main cause of lag is the hardware and its native resolution. The lag you typically encounter is from the TV resizing the output from the Wii to its own standard and native resolution, but if the Wii outputs 720 and the TV's native resoluion is 720 the lag will be either none or insignificant enough as to not bother me (thats saying alot beleive me). Granted I beleive melee forces a 480p output IIRC, BUT if you change your Wii's output it will minimize or even resolve the issue of lag on most TV's. (on a wii you can actually fix this by changing the output in the main menue. USUALLY)

Rikana

Smash Champion
I understand the technical aspect of how it converts and downgrades and such; that's why I'm hoping that the next generation of Nintendo console can output 720 at minimum. It would be such a **** move it Nintendo won't do that. Minimal input lag is a big issue to me too - its the reason why I still keep my CRT or else I would've sold it. LCDs are portable so I wouldn't see why people who play Smash Bros. competitively wouldn't want to play on an LCD instead.

The Melee's part where it forces a 480 output worries me.. I thought that depends on the hardware and cables that are connected to the TV.

Edit: I have a feeling there won't be a fourth Smash Bros. series. Well, if there is, I suspect that it wouldn't be close to the launch date of the next console.

GPDP

Smash Ace
I play Melee and Project M in 480p on a CRT HDTV. Hurray for zero input lag and crisp visuals!

Also, Melee does not force 480p. All that happens is, if you have component cables and set the Wii to 480p, Melee will ask you if you want to enable Progressive Scan mode.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I understand the technical aspect of how it converts and downgrades and such; that's why I'm hoping that the next generation of Nintendo console can output 720 at minimum. It would be such a **** move it Nintendo won't do that. Minimal input lag is a big issue to me too - its the reason why I still keep my CRT or else I would've sold it. LCDs are portable so I wouldn't see why people who play Smash Bros. competitively wouldn't want to play on an LCD instead.

The Melee's part where it forces a 480 output worries me.. I thought that depends on the hardware and cables that are connected to the TV.

Edit: I have a feeling there won't be a fourth Smash Bros. series. Well, if there is, I suspect that it wouldn't be close to the launch date of the next console.
Ah okay, I got lucky since the wii can do 480p and my lcdtv can be set to 480p. no lag at all

EDIT:
@GPDP, you are right it can't Its just been far too long since I've played around with it (I got 480p mixed up with 720, which doesn't surprise me, given how bloody long its been, I be derpin today my bad)

Ecks

Smash Lord
The demo hasn't gotten old to me at all.

Errr.... they're gonna encrypt it differently and such and I hope that they build the engine from scratch.
Encryption methods can get very crazy, just look at MGS3 and note how nothing was ripped from that game still......

Moving on, take your time with things please.....
Yeah, I should have thought of that.
But if at leastt character specifics could be ported like pm did with melee. meh, I don't care about a new smash anyway.

And I think it's hilarious how dolphin owns the wii in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom