• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I know some of this had to be your doing Reflex. Thank you for making Ivysaur a character.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yo, I'm taking a look at the features from P:M because I have PAL Brawl and can't try it 'till I get my hands on a proper way to boot a NTSC Brawl on my wii.

You are already having a hard time winning me over with L-cancel's return, so I was wondering if you kept, modified, or suppressed Brawl's ATs. More specifically :
-Glide tossing (I know this one now has an air version, how well does it work though ?)
-Wavebouncing
-Dodge dropping (also known as invicibombing)
-B boosting
-DACUS and hyphen smashing
-Platform cancelling
-Instant tossing
-Reverse Aerial Rush

I'm also wondering what you guys have done with tethers, crawling, and dropping a platform from a shield, which are mechanics that were either heavily reworked, or brand new.
And do items have their shieldstun adjusted to fit the rest of the moves, or do they keep their Brawl shieldstun ?
Finally, I think I read somewhere a long time ago that you could customize the buffer window, but I can't seem to find this again. Is that true ?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Only one I can attest to is the DACUS. It's there (and it's still as useful on snake), but it's a lot harder to pull off, mostly because buffering isn't in P:M, and from that, you're expected to hit a pretty small window of time.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
What the hell are hyphen smashing, b-boosting, Dodge dropping, wavebouncing, or platform canceling?

I assume Instant toss refers to being able to airdodge into an item to grab it, then press A to throw it right away.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
platform canceling needs to come back, i tried doing the shield method of PC'ing, and its basically an immediate waveland onto Smashville's Platform with C Falcon. Its barely useful because i felt like there was a little lag, whereas in Vanilla, you could immediately act out of the cancel

plus pc'ing looks much cooler than just wavelanding

B.W.

Smash Champion
Brawl players thought it was a good idea to come up with a name for everything for some reason. Even the most simple things.

I'll never understand why it's call a RAR either. It's just turning around and hitting jump which makes you think face the opposite direction. They couldn't have just called it turn-jumping? Is saying turn-jump > b-air really that hard?

Bryonato

Green Hat
Platform cancelling was usually done (iirc) by performing a down aerial at a very specific time when rising up to a platform. You would immediately cancel the jump and stand on the platform and could laglessly jump/smash/etc from the platform. It's noticeably faster than WL'ing.

Maybe you could do it with any aerial, I just remember I always just did down aerial with Wario/Marth

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This is a named technique?

What the hell do Brawl players call walking? Tilt-Dashing?
I always called it a running upsmash, because... you're doing an upsmash while running.

There was also some weird name for that thing where you spin around while walking forward.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof

Minor Pandemic

Smash Apprentice
Well I knew it was the full roster, I just hadn't seen it with PM before. SORRY GUYS PLEASE DON'T YELL AT ME FOR TAKING 5 SECONDS TO SCREENSHOT STUFF.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
what? for platform canceling, you dont need to do an aerial, thats the super unecessarily complicated way

just TAP down as youre passing the platform

thats literally it

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Tethers work how they did in Brawl, except you can tether an edge even if someone is hanging from it. If you try to reel in, you just jump up onto the stage without grabbing the ledge.

Crawling is the same as it ever was, as far as I know.

I don't think items have changed much, if at all. The only change I'm sure on is that stopwatches don't ever spawn, because they glitch out the new physics.

Project M has the option for a 3-frame buffer (Brawl has a constant 10-frame buffer, for reference) but I don't know anything about customizing it.

Just curious; how does the inclusion of L-canceling give PM a hard time of winning you over? I know it's not everyone's favorite thing, and as tech skill barriers go it's pretty arbitrary, but it seems like more of a minor complaint than a make-or-break one.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yo, I'm taking a look at the features from P:M because I have PAL Brawl and can't try it 'till I get my hands on a proper way to boot a NTSC Brawl on my wii.

You are already having a hard time winning me over with L-cancel's return, so I was wondering if you kept, modified, or suppressed Brawl's ATs. More specifically :
-Glide tossing (I know this one now has an air version, how well does it work though ?)
-Wavebouncing
-Dodge dropping (also known as invicibombing)
-B boosting
-DACUS and hyphen smashing
-Platform cancelling
-Instant tossing
-Reverse Aerial Rush

I'm also wondering what you guys have done with tethers, crawling, and dropping a platform from a shield, which are mechanics that were either heavily reworked, or brand new.
And do items have their shieldstun adjusted to fit the rest of the moves, or do they keep their Brawl shieldstun ?
Finally, I think I read somewhere a long time ago that you could customize the buffer window, but I can't seem to find this again. Is that true ?
Glide Tossing: Still exist on the ground, still very good for some characters when they get the chance
Wavebounce: Yes still exists
Dodgedrop: I have no idea but you could always drop it right before airdodging anyways so doesn't matter much either way
B Boost: It *may* still exist but I don't think it's as huge as the Brawl version
DACUS: Yes but the lack of a buffer window may change the timing you are used to
Hyphen Smash: Probably acts the same as Melee instead of Brawl's massive momentum (Falcon doing Dash Usmash should not fly super far for example)
Platform canceling: Maybe? I think it was much easier in Brawl
Instant toss: Maybe
RAR: Yes it's still in and is an improvement for Melee in a lot of scenarios

Tethers are in, and no longer get wrecked by people who have already grabbed the edge. Tethers can share the edge with other people so merely grabbing the edge against them is insufficient these days. Crawling is still in for some characters, shield drop from platforms is like Melee.

Have no idea about items, pretty sure item related stuff isn't exactly 100% so don't expect much in that area. Buffer window used to be customizeable, but now there's just a minor setting for a "small" preset amount of buffer iirc. They wanted people to focus on playing the game Melee style with no buffer.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The main difference for crawling is that you can crawl off a ledge now, unlike Brawl.

In 2.0/2.1, you could customize the buffer window. In 2.5, it's just an "On/Off" switch for a 3-frame buffer.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Another thing we should mention, L-cancels now have a white flash when you perform them correctly.

Meaning that you don't just guess the timing and hope it works anymore. You get immediate visual feedback everytime.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Another thing we should mention, L-cancels now have a white flash when you perform them correctly.

Meaning that you don't just guess the timing and hope it works anymore. You get immediate visual feedback everytime.
Secretly, that white flash is actually Jesus shining down upon us with his Holy Light, because even the Son of God prefers Melee

D

Deleted member

Jesus = PMBR. They turn water into wine and Brawl into Project M. Everything gets an upgrade.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Glide Tossing: Still exist on the ground, still very good for some characters when they get the chance
Wavebounce: Yes still exists
Dodgedrop: I have no idea but you could always drop it right before airdodging anyways so doesn't matter much either way
B Boost: It *may* still exist but I don't think it's as huge as the Brawl version
DACUS: Yes but the lack of a buffer window may change the timing you are used to
Hyphen Smash: Probably acts the same as Melee instead of Brawl's massive momentum (Falcon doing Dash Usmash should not fly super far for example)
Platform canceling: Maybe? I think it was much easier in Brawl
Instant toss: Maybe
RAR: Yes it's still in and is an improvement for Melee in a lot of scenarios

Tethers are in, and no longer get wrecked by people who have already grabbed the edge. Tethers can share the edge with other people so merely grabbing the edge against them is insufficient these days. Crawling is still in for some characters, shield drop from platforms is like Melee.

Have no idea about items, pretty sure item related stuff isn't exactly 100% so don't expect much in that area. Buffer window used to be customizeable, but now there's just a minor setting for a "small" preset amount of buffer iirc. They wanted people to focus on playing the game Melee style with no buffer.
Thx for the complete answer dude :V
Also thanks to the others who answered the other parts of my post

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
That's literally just the full Brawl roster... Before every Demo we (See: Shadic) go in and yank out characters who aren't being included.
I hadn't noticed this. Or rather, I never paid any attention to it (or maybe I've just never watched the entire intro). I just assumed that it was the whole Brawl intro recolored; I never realized that some characters were missing.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
There should be a stream on the 4th of July, unless your the type that still likes looking at a fireworks show past the age of 10.

Or you possess an arsenal of rockets and beer to annoy your neighbors the entire night.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Only one I can attest to is the DACUS. It's there (and it's still as useful on snake), but it's a lot harder to pull off, mostly because buffering isn't in P:M, and from that, you're expected to hit a pretty small window of time.

Don't forget about Ganon! It's a godsend for him. Ever since I figured out what a DACUS was (yeah, I'm a little behind the times, so sue me) I've found myself playing Ganon a lot more.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Can Pit be less janky as well plz? I know keep away is his thing, but he doesn't need all those easy fly away tools with his spam all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom