• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I really don't

I'll give back your liking privileges if you can stop this nonsense

Smashroulette give me a break, would be even MORE penis than chatroulette girls don't play Smash stahp

Plus this way we can avoid the creepy "Wanna see the MK cape I made, out of cottage cheese?!?!?" guy

SunJester

Smash Ace
Actually funny anecdote, I once knew someone who won the female division of a rather large smash tournament.

There were two girls there.

So yes, Smash is the most penis-y of all the video games.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
http://allisbrawl.com/ladder/rankings.aspx?id=87
1-Peach
2-Sonic
3-Pit
4-Sonic

Good Wifi Sonics are steamrolling over people like some kind of super character. I'm actually enjoying seeing what'll happen next: I hope some random laggy guy from Chile comes and dominates everyone lol.

Why does buffer have to desync over Wifi if the other person doesn't have it on/the same amount? Is there a conceivable fix for that? The lag input fix oddly enough actually doesn't desync if say one person has the code added (which removes the input lag) and the other doesn't (has it removed since Magus posted the code). I actually don't know how handicap worked over wifi in the first place (which it is put over). If someone actually developed a code to make handicap not desync on different amounts that could be abused I guess, maybe there's some work around: my ideal situation would be the opponent could see that you are using a 1 frame buffer and allow it without having to put it on himself (and possibly limit the max buffer to 1 frame). But again that's my ideal situation, and not the smash cult's, I wouldn't argue for buffer to be legal for offline tournies though: it's just for Wifi it helps so much more (even with only 1 frame, which I enjoy and don't like anything higher because then it makes transitioning to none harder). I WOULD argue though for people to use in tournaments an option to select light press or hard press air dodge for their individual player slot just like any other custom controls.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You are a trooper for playing online. I could not handle that.
There's like a learning curve for how much you can get your normal tech skill and muscle memory to work on it, and then after that it's about learning the specific techniques of how to handle half the stupid bull**** (which you usually have to counter with more bull****). You can't remain a top player of a Wifi ladder without having some strategy to pull out when there's horrible lag, which is like probably a third of their battles.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
There's like a learning curve for how much you can get your normal tech skill and muscle memory to work on it, and then after that it's about learning the specific techniques of how to handle half the stupid bull**** (which you usually have to counter with more bull****). You can't remain a top player of a Wifi ladder without having some strategy to pull out when there's horrible lag, which is like probably a third of their battles.
I am staying away from that environment. I just see that developing bad habits and making my offline tech skill worse.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There's only 1 good aspect of Wifi for PM, and it's that it helps you better utilize the "fast" option of the situation. Playing on Wifi can force you to react better and throw out stuff sooner, even if it's preemptive a tad. Traditional spacing can go out the window, and brute force offensive up close "strategy" can prevail.

Sonic on Wifi is hard to deal with, 85% of the time HA is completely safe and it's hard to find a balance between reactive option once Sonic gets close, and early wall thrown out hoping he runs into it. Seriously though HA becomes a god move online, takes care of edge guarding and onstage mixup.

You can transition fairly seamless from Wifi to Offline IF you fully understand that Wifi is cheesy and that actual gameplay has to take place in person that makes more sense. It also kind of depends on what player you are: if you are very gameplay "feel" based, you are gonna be readjusting a lot back and forth. Where as if you're more of a scenario player, where your gameplay flows based on how you think the situation will or should play out, then you'll probably be adjusted fine back and forth since you have similar scenarios on Wifi and offline. If you are focused on the difference on Dash Dancing as a bait online vs offline, instead of how that specific action feels differently between the two, you'll probably automatically start adjusting your movement to match how the offline scenario "should" look like and you won't be as thrown off on timings and feels.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yeah that's one of my top important things I got from it or at least like to think I did (and I think it gave me a bad aspect of that too but I'm not sure). There's that dead space people have with what their doing, and learning to fill every standing animation with movement and every free time after an aerial with another aerial and all that (besides purposeful auto-cancels or what have you). It's not just that though, like people said before it can teach you basics of MUs which are obviously super essential for a game like P:M.

And you're offline "techskill" only gets better like normal play, like you really won't notice a muscle memory problem like anything close to the awful transition I get from playing Brawl for a day back to P:M. It's like all in the mental aspect and strategy that I think can screw you over. That said though I'm not close to the prime example of a "brought up on Wifi child" to fully know what it can do to people who got even their basics first from it.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
"9Kplus1 likes this."

Wait, someone actually got that joke? I was not expecting that.

Also, this just in: wifi sucks. Who knew lag would matter in a game where timing is so important? I sure didn't!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wifi can be ok if you have a great connection. I occasionally play with a friend where we have the baseline lag and nothing extra, for the entire match. It's smooth, just gotta work a bit faster honestly. Combos and regular gameplay doesn't go out of the window that hard, it's when you have the variable lag/stutter/etc that it gets really lame and it becomes worthless.

I'm not looking to play the Sonics, because I think 2 of them are in Canada and I KNOW that **** is gonna lag distance wise lol.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
"baseline lag and nothing extra"

All lag is extra lag. For me, $10 tournament entry is a small price to pay to get whooped by better players in a lag-free environment.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
There's always a few TVs at tournaments that I can't stand and they almost mess with my short hop and everything, usually I gear towards the smaller more well built ones.

Good connections are what make Wifi worth anything because they do exist. This game is also so good that it still blows a lot of other online games out of the water. It's like a dirty reflection of the full experience, but the full experience is so good it's still fun. Just like how Brawls a great game compared to all the other stupid stuff out there just because it still follows enough of the basics of what makes smash awesome, or how P:M is so good even if they ruin my soul character Ike I can still keep playing it.

#1 priority is still to know that Wifi is stupid, because people get that out of wack. That said though people still take this game and games too seriously even offline. People playing this game offline though are using an inferior air dodge as well. I had this new guy come into the P:M IRC and mentioned the smash scene as a "cult", which I had to agree with him lol.

That's also half the problem of people not wanting to try using 1 frame of buffer for Wifi, they could be playing a lot closer to their offline play with it but they chose to have it be as unfiltered laggy as possible to make everything revolve around jank because they think Wifi is legit while 1 frame of buffer isn't.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
And that's fine! I'm not saying to Wifi it up hardcore, I'm just saying that not all Wifi is atrocious or that Wifi always lacks stuff that would make sense offline. Wifi with a good connection can be passable experience. I definitely think that if your connection with the other guy is great enough, you can definitely learn stuff from it.

If you can't get that good connection to the other guy, then fine cheese it up with Wario or stay offline, either one is fine lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
has anyone tried doing a "spotlight" thread where for a week, a character and/or stage is in the spot light and people really try and play that character to its full potential.

I'm taking this idea from pokemon.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
has anyone tried doing a "spotlight" thread where for a week, a character and/or stage is in the spot light and people really try and play that character to its full potential.

I'm taking this idea from pokemon.
That would be spiffy. The Pokemon and Smash communities are kin, but the Smash community is in denial, unfortunately. They seem to think mentioning Pokemon should be as infractable as liking too many posts.

And that's fine! I'm not saying to Wifi it up hardcore, I'm just saying that not all Wifi is atrocious or that Wifi always lacks stuff that would make sense offline. Wifi with a good connection can be passable experience. I definitely think that if your connection with the other guy is great enough, you can definitely learn stuff from it.

If you can't get that good connection to the other guy, then fine cheese it up with Wario or stay offline, either one is fine lol
I like you. (Let's make sweet love.)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
YOU CAN like the thread