• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
Is wall cling gonna be removed for everyone?(I hope it is xD)
I am fairly certain we have made a stance on this already.

But, because people I suppose tend to easily forget things here we go:

Characters that have wall cling are: Diddy, Squirtle, and Sheik currently. Only three characters out of the 38 have it. Diddy benefits from it the most, with being able to wall cling right out of Side B to use as recovery. Removing it from him would only hurt his recovery options...

Squirtle and Sheik use wall cling for edgeguarding which adds an interesting dynamic of edgeguarding to both characters (if players use them appropriately).

So in short, no, we're not removing them for the remaining characters unless it really turns out to be detrimental in the end.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

Characters that have wall cling are: Diddy, Squirtle, and Sheik currently. Only three characters out of the 38 have it. Diddy benefits from it the most, with being able to wall cling right out of Side B to use as recovery. Removing it from him would only hurt his recovery options...

Squirtle and Sheik use wall cling for edgeguarding which adds an interesting dynamic of edgeguarding to both characters (if players use them appropriately).

So in short, no, we're not removing them for the remaining characters unless it really turns out to be detrimental in the end.
Shiek's getting an edgeguarding buff eh?

How is Marth's new ability to walljump coming along?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

I wish ZSS could cling. Even more, I wish she could cling with her forward-B. But I guess that's the same issue with Link's Zair now.

jalued

Smash Lord

How is Marth's new ability to walljump coming along?
The only real complaint i have for wallcling is how brawl inputs it (by pressing into the wall when close) which can cause you to accidently wall cling to the edge. I found that whenever i tried sheik in the demo, it was more of a problem than a help.

If it was changed to a different input however, i would support it, but as it is i feel it will be a general annoyance for melee sheik mains.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
So instead of this, they are massively delaying it, while trying to balance the entire cast. Yeah sure there are some graphical glitches, and i understand only shanus and magnus can fix them, but still... 9 months since the demo.
And Magnus is back.

Revven

FrankerZ
Erm, it was in the demo, nobody really utilizes it so until it's proven to help her out a crap ton there's no reason to take it away. The assumption is it's another option that's there for her to use and is useful to her. It's just like how she can still crawl but doesn't exactly buff her.

Your sarcasm was completely unnecessary by the way. You've known for at least a whole year now that Sheik has had both the ability to crawl and wall cling. They are gameplay additions from Brawl that were kept just like glide tossing and DACUS are still there.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
At first Squirts wallcling was extremely frustrating, but after getting used to it for a day or so it became a non-issue.

After a couple weeks focusing heavily on him, I now am trying to use it to edgeguard. It is tough but in the end I think it is a fun and interesting addition.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Squirtles neutral B is changed right now. It serves a similar function but seems more reliable and less stupid.

Zero suit samus is someone who I am interested in playing more, but i don't quite understand her yet. What can she do out of shield? How can she space other than sideb?

MaxThunder

PM Support
sigh... and since i'm back at school i can't watch twitch.tv streams again=(... well... not like i'd have much time to watch them, as most of them happen during the night for me and stuff... bah...

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Erm, it was in the demo, nobody really utilizes it so until it's proven to help her out a crap ton there's no reason to take it away. The assumption is it's another option that's there for her to use and is useful to her. It's just like how she can still crawl but doesn't exactly buff her.

Your sarcasm was completely unnecessary by the way. You've known for at least a whole year now that Sheik has had both the ability to crawl and wall cling. They are gameplay additions from Brawl that were kept just like glide tossing and DACUS are still there.
On the contrary DACUS and glide tossing are universal techniques that everyone can utilize like WDing. Not everone can crawl, wall jump, and wall cling. lumping gameplay additions in the same category as Brawl ATs is an odd justification.

Also, how does it not help her out? There is at least a little bit of timing that goes into wall jump aerials so now she can just cling to the wall until its the right time? And if it doesn't really help her out, then it'd be all the more reason to remove it because its a pointless, confusing addition Melee players (the target audience) wouldn't be expecting.

But moreover, my real point is that Melee top tiers (particularly Shiek who is an incredible character at nearly all levels of play and has arguably the shortest learning curve) should be left 100% intact. Why should a character with one of the shortest crouches in the game be able to move while doing so? Why does a character who already has an excellent midair jump and wall jump get to cling to walls now? Why not give the cling ability to someone like DK where it both makes sense in lore and has possible benefits since he doesn't have a wall jump?

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
its a pointless, confusing addition Melee players (the target audience) wouldn't be expecting.
This bothers me.. Not trying to grill you Marf, I was just waiting for it to come up again.

I don't think most people realize how many brawl players this mod is actually pulling in. The PMBR might actually start a new wave of melee players :D

jalued

Smash Lord
But moreover, my real point is that Melee top tiers (particularly Shiek who is an incredible character at nearly all levels of play and has arguably the shortest learning curve) should be left 100% intact. Why should a character with one of the shortest crouches in the game be able to move while doing so? Why does a character who already has an excellent midair jump and wall jump get to cling to walls now? Why not give the cling ability to someone like DK where it both makes sense in lore and has possible benefits since he doesn't have a wall jump?
I actually agree with this, and DK would look cool with a wall cling even if it wouldn't help him much due to his poor vertical recovery :p

appreciate PEEF's comment about squirtle's wall cling, im glad you found an application for it :)

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
On the contrary DACUS and glide tossing are universal techniques that everyone can utilize like WDing. Not everone can crawl, wall jump, and wall cling. lumping gameplay additions in the same category as Brawl ATs is an odd justification.

Also, how does it not help her out? There is at least a little bit of timing that goes into wall jump aerials so now she can just cling to the wall until its the right time? And if it doesn't really help her out, then it'd be all the more reason to remove it because its a pointless, confusing addition Melee players (the target audience) wouldn't be expecting.

Shiek's DThrow was nerfed so they gave her new tricks to make up for it. I really thing they have a good grip on balance and if these weren't good additions they would have removed them.

I like the idea of DK having a wallcling though.

jalued

Smash Lord
Shiek's DThrow was nerfed so they gave her new tricks to make up for it. I really thing they have a good grip on balance and if these weren't good additions they would have removed them.

I like the idea of DK having a wallcling though.
NTSC player's cant really appreciate how little a dthrow change nerfs sheik, in PAL she is still incredibly good.

There is also no reason for her to lose the wallcling, most stages don't accommodate for it and alot of the time there will be better options available to her

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I am a big proponent of in-character embellishments and have confidence in our balancing team to come up with ways to keep every character up to par. Sheik's crawl is something that I think really matches her character and just looks cool. I do not think the crawl is nearly as impairing to her balance as something like her brawl grapple would have been in melee.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
What can she do out of shield? How can she space other than sideb?
1. Not much. She has terrible OoS options (she can uair OoS against tall characters I guess).

2. She can space with d-tilt, f-tilt (about as usable as Samus f-tilt lol), and d-smash (very safe once it's out. The startup lag is the issue). From mid range you can use side B or neutral B (f-smash is too slow both on startup and endlag to really just be thrown out). To get them out of your face you have jab and uptilt.

Basically, avoid shielding unless there aren't any other options.

jalued

Smash Lord
1. Not much. She has terrible OoS options (she can uair OoS against tall characters I guess).

2. She can space with d-tilt, f-tilt (about as usable as Samus f-tilt lol), and d-smash (very safe once it's out. The startup lag is the issue). From mid range you can use side B or neutral B (f-smash is too slow both on startup and endlag to really just be thrown out). To get them out of your face you have jab and uptilt.

Basically, avoid shielding unless there aren't any other options.
could she not be given a slightly larger hitbox on upB to help her with OOS and to combo with it, or even heavy armour frames on the initial animation of downB?

Or I could come down to the age old request of giving her a small SH

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's probably trivial to code. But it would also be weird is she was the only character who could down B OoS.

She'll just struggle a bit with pressure is all. She's pretty capable of keeping people off of her as is without even shielding.

jalued

Smash Lord
It's probably trivial to code. But it would also be weird is she was the only character who could down B OoS.

She'll just struggle a bit with pressure is all. She's pretty capable of keeping people off of her as is without even shielding.
variety is the spice of life :) as long as she doesn't become the yoshi of melee, she should be fine

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
NTSC player's cant really appreciate how little a dthrow change nerfs sheik, in PAL she is still incredibly good.

There is also no reason for her to lose the wallcling, most stages don't accommodate for it and alot of the time there will be better options available to her
This

You can like

techchase

it takes moar skill than

chaingrabbing

and you get bit more respect for playing sheik, you know, the little you have

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm confused. What would DK even be able to do with a wall cling?
Nothing, he has no aerials that would really be useful for it. Fair is too slow (even with the slight frame adjustments), Uair is a move that sends upwards, Nair doesn't reach out very far to begin with (though it might be okay for use if he had a wall cling... still kinda impractical though), and Dair ... well Dair isn't very quick either. Not to mention the amount of crazy risk you would take doing a wall cling with him versus edgeguarding with Bair while hanging on the ledge...

I don't know why I R Marf brought it up as an example of someone to give wall cling to, to be honest other than "it's canon!" which isn't a good argument to get something added unless it REALLY adds something to a character's playstyle.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that was Dantarion.

Falco400: wallcling -> up-b might have applications for edgeguarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom