• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i get bored of playing melee pretty quickly when i do sessions, which is really sad because i LOVE the engine so much. just going to tournaments and 70% of my enemies being Fox or Falco, and 10% of the rest being Falcon, it's so depressing seeing such little variety. :\
it'd probably be less of an obstacle for me if there wasn't another game with almost the exact same engine without abysmal game balance lol

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it's 10% of the rest (30%) being falcon. so, 70% spacies, 3% falcon, 7% other characters.

probably not what he meant (?), but it makes sense.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i get bored of playing melee pretty quickly when i do sessions, which is really sad because i LOVE the engine so much. just going to tournaments and 70% of my enemies being Fox or Falco, and 10% of the rest being Falcon, it's so depressing seeing such little variety. :\
it'd probably be less of an obstacle for me if there wasn't another game with almost the exact same engine without abysmal game balance lol
Ate u saying that 10 percent of all players ate falcon mains, or that 10 percent of the 30 percent who don't play spacies are falcon mains?

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
it's 10% of the rest (30%) being falcon. so, 70% spacies, 3% falcon, 7% other characters.

probably not what he meant (?), but it makes sense.
Oh yeah, okay. I'm really stupid. I've been misunderstanding a lot of things for the past two hours now. Sorry for the inconvenience; I really should go to bed. Good night, everyone/

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
and like the issue is that if smash 4 was the only smash game I'd probably play it lol but I can't play any smash game that has the visual cues of melee/pm but not the engine

like does anyone remember that competing systems xkcd comic

I feel like every fighting game dev ever set out to make the objectively best fighting game but everyone came up a little bit short in different ways
like I've heard people say that third strike or kof 98 are objectively the best but they're also dated and dont have the complexity of current gen fighters from what I've heard

and then there's the people who circlejerk over virtua fighter but like that's console only

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Thanks to the website smashboards, it is much easier for me to spread the truth. Thanks to the god of PM as well as the people who spent their time playing the game. However, as a messenger I wont be able to communicate because of the message I have to share on this world. Ill keep in touch whenever I have the free time. But for now, farewell brothers and sister of hype....
Thank you based hax
halp pms pls I want to play a non-smash fighting game

and I can't get my sim racing setup finished because I need to buy textbooks lol
Skull girls is godlike. If you can't play Xrd (like me) I suggest that.
SB come to AZ, you'll be closer now that you're moving to Texas
I guarenteed you'll run into more characters. We have like, 5 fox mains max in pheonix, and maybe 4 falcon mains in the whole state. Half the brackets are marth and ganon, it's great. Everyone has a marth, a low tier, and can shield drop, otherwise papa taj laughs at them with DMX playing in the background

Bazkip

Smash Master
and like the issue is that if smash 4 was the only smash game I'd probably play it lol but I can't play any smash game that has the visual cues of melee/pm but not the engine

like does anyone remember that competing systems xkcd comic

I feel like every fighting game dev ever set out to make the objectively best fighting game but everyone came up a little bit short in different ways
like I've heard people say that third strike or kof 98 are objectively the best but they're also dated and dont have the complexity of current gen fighters from what I've heard

and then there's the people who circlejerk over virtua fighter but like that's console only
This one?

And while we're on the topic of XKCD, @standardtoaster do this next pls

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ ~Dad~ ~Dad~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lre9ffkI4qA#t=194

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad @ SpiderMad SpiderMad @ SpiderMad SpiderMad @ayylmao

Ez said that you have an analysis playlist of Mango's that's really useful. Could you show it to me if possible? Thanks a ton.
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-5.339825/page-1329#post-18176922
If you do any notes as a courtesy for me just here's what Ramz did so far already. Otherwise if you or @Ramz289 really felt up to it I could always grant you access to PMDepot to do some kind of super organizing with editing the videos yourselves as you watch them.
Hey dude, here are the time stop for the mango thing

Playlist 1, video 1

start
2:30

skip
4:08 - 4:37
11:22 - 12:48
13:26 - 13:41
15:20 - 15:50
16:09 - 16:50
17:27 - 18:00
21:30 - 21:41
25:10 - 25:33

vid 2
continues were vid 1 left off, 3:01 onward to be cut out

vid 3 is just mango testing the stream but at 12:19 - 14:45 he gets a skipe call from D1 each i though was kinda cool, idk is you wanna do something with that but there it is.

It's only the first vids because i haven't gotten around to seeing the other ones, like I said, It'll take a while. I was also hoping to have this to you by Sunday but **** happens.
My writing is crap so I hope this all makes sense lol.
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad what is your easiest challenge?

Also are you aware of the 1 frame physics delay in PM? Could this explain the new double and early ariels in PM?
One of the easier challenges I have is Squirtle's SH Fair WL twice in a row.
http://smashboards.com/threads/squirtle-squad-general-disc.331682/page-48#post-18149112
If you can accomplish that you'll be instantly better than "the most technical squirtle player", who thought this was impossible; showing that he lacks tech skill not only in early aerials (which Squirtle in pre-3.5 was super ripe with potential on more than most of the cast) but also demonstrates you're probably also unfamiliar at certain other frame strict options like on the ledge for instance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5Sfu-v1nU , Marth's ledge drop DJ Shield breaker regrab M2K does, Diddy's peanut gun regrab SeagullJoe does, Falco's low SHDL, Spacies/others ledge DJ WL on BF's middle plats)

Similarly, if you can do SH Fair Dair with Lucario twice in a row you're better than this guy. http://smashboards.com/threads/lucaryu-official-discussion-thread.331668/page-19#post-18170192
I'd say the Squirtle one is a bit easier or at least faster to keep attempting, but they're both not that hard

The extra air time in PM is still slightly a mystery to me. It's pry a mix of two or more different mechanics different than Melee (which I got long posts on I could link). Another thing is if once I know what it is, to finalize my thoughts that it should remain like it is. For what I know so far, I would keep it like it is.

Also Chesstiger you crazy bro I might quote yours and other's posts here in a min

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@ ~Dad~ ~Dad~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lre9ffkI4qA#t=194

http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-5.339825/page-1329#post-18176922
If you do any notes as a courtesy for me just here's what Ramz did so far already. Otherwise if you or @Ramz289 really felt up to it I could always grant you access to PMDepot to do some kind of super organizing with editing the videos yourselves as you watch them.
Hey dude, here are the time stop for the mango thing

Playlist 1, video 1

start
2:30

skip
4:08 - 4:37
11:22 - 12:48
13:26 - 13:41
15:20 - 15:50
16:09 - 16:50
17:27 - 18:00
21:30 - 21:41
25:10 - 25:33

vid 2
continues were vid 1 left off, 3:01 onward to be cut out

vid 3 is just mango testing the stream but at 12:19 - 14:45 he gets a skipe call from D1 each i though was kinda cool, idk is you wanna do something with that but there it is.

It's only the first vids because i haven't gotten around to seeing the other ones, like I said, It'll take a while. I was also hoping to have this to you by Sunday but **** happens.
My writing is crap so I hope this all makes sense lol.

http://smashboards.com/threads/squirtle-squad-general-disc.331682/page-48#post-18149112
If you can accomplish that you'll be instantly better than "the most technical squirtle player", who thought this was impossible; showing that he lacks tech skill not only in early aerials (which Squirtle in pre-3.5 was super ripe with potential on more than most of the cast) but also demonstrates you're probably also unfamiliar at certain other frame strict options like on the ledge for instance ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5Sfu-v1nU , Marth's ledge drop DJ Shield breaker regrab M2K does, Diddy's peanut gun regrab SeagullJoe does, Falco's low SHDL, Spacies/others ledge DJ WL on BF's middle plats)

Similarly, if you can do SH Fair Dair with Lucario twice in a row you're better than this guy. http://smashboards.com/threads/lucaryu-official-discussion-thread.331668/page-19#post-18170192
I'd say the Squirtle one is a bit easier or at least faster to keep attempting, but they're both not that hard

The extra air time in PM is still slightly a mystery to me. It's pry a mix of two or more different mechanics different than Melee (which I got long posts on I could link). Another thing is if once I know what it is, to finalize my thoughts that it should remain like it is. For what I know so far, I would keep it like it is.

Also Chesstiger you crazy bro I might quote yours and other's posts here in a min
D-did you say Falco's...double l-laser?

Praise be to the one they call Spidermad.

Edit: If that means what I think it does, Falco confirmed top tier for sure. GG ez.
Edit2: It doesn't. I wanted to believe. But battlefield plat wave land from ledge I gotta use.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
lmao

If you can accomplish that you'll be instantly better than "the most technical squirtle player", who thought this was impossible; showing that he lacks tech skill not only in early aerials (which Squirtle in pre-3.5 was super ripe with potential on more than most of the cast) but also demonstrates you're probably also unfamiliar at certain other frame strict options
lmfaoo

you kill me mad you really do <3

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Sorry meant that it's another of the ledge options, many of those things are intrinsically hard in the basis that you "accomplished them" with anything less not completing the action (Marth's shield breaker ledge regrab either works or doesn't, though it's got like a couple frames of grace I think). But many things go unoptimized that you don't think can be that much more optimized, Mangos one of the few to be praised on how frame tight he's able to get his low lasers. In his terms "Crispy". Lots of people can do ledge SHDLs, but the frame perfect low ones require Popeyes (screw KFC) levels of crispyness.

Anyways one of the things people sometimes don't think about to explore their character is tight ledge options.
What aerials/specials can you do close to frame perfect that regrab the ledge (end in time)?
Marth's got Fair which is easy and useful, then the harder one Shield breaker (and of/c side-b)
Diddy's got like Uair and peanut gun
Samus has Uair, and super frame strict side-b (@Hylian ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyfEYKxcVFI
and so on

let me add video links to the above examples

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Sorry meant that it's another of the ledge options, many of those things are intrinsically hard in the basis that you "accomplished them" with anything less not completing the action (Marth's shield breaker ledge regrab either works or doesn't, though it's got like a couple frames of grace I think). But many things go unoptimized that you don't think can be that much more optimized, Mangos one of the few to be praised on how frame tight he's able to get his low lasers. In his terms "Crispy". Lots of people can do ledge SHDLs, but the frame perfect low ones require Popeyes (screw KFC) levels of crispyness.

Anyways one of the things people sometimes don't think about to explore their character is tight ledge options.
What aerials/specials can you do close to frame perfect that regrab the ledge (end in time)?
Marth's got Fair which is easy and useful, then the harder one Shield breaker (and of/c side-b)
Diddy's got like Uair and peanut gun
Samus has Uair, and super frame strict side-b (@Hylian )
and so on

let me add video links to the above examples
Oh I was going to tell you how easy diddy can ledge jump dair regrab
it's like really easy, I'm going to start using it more

Also I blame your obsession with early aerial as the reason I suck at doing flask kick moves
It's your fault I can't play decapre.

Actually it's probably because I shdl with tap jump, but blaming you is easier

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Oh I was going to tell you how easy diddy can ledge jump dair regrab
it's like really easy, I'm going to start using it more

Also I blame your obsession with early aerial as the reason I suck at doing flask kick moves
It's your fault I can't play decapre.

Actually it's probably because I shdl with tap jump, but blaming you is easier
It's time for Third Strike, it's Zhime approved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqPKnMAKQU#t=16

SunJester

Smash Ace
The lack of character variety in Melee is by far my least favourite thing about it. More than half of the cast is unusable because they're so bad. I can see why the 8-11 ish viable characters with clearly defined matchups, counterpicks and metagame could really be appealing to Melee fans, but its just getting really stale to me. The top 5 has been the top 5 for four years now? It's just feeling...stale.

I still like it, its just, feeling...same-y.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
There may not be a lot of marths left on the highest level of play but I swear to God half the mid-low level community mains marth.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The lack of character variety in Melee is by far my least favourite thing about it. More than half of the cast is unusable because they're so bad. I can see why the 8-11 ish viable characters with clearly defined matchups, counterpicks and metagame could really be appealing to Melee fans, but its just getting really stale to me. The top 5 has been the top 5 for four years now? It's just feeling...stale.

I still like it, its just, feeling...same-y.
Exactly and that's why Mango said it's only gonna last at most another 5 years I think. Which is when PM will be still untapped (unless they cookie cutter every character to death). You'll also be older by then, and more able to appreciate Light press air dodge's ergonomic values.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Mad light press airdodge sucks, no real feedback for when the airdodge is triggered. If you're worried about ergonomic at all just take out the spring and then it's less resistant and you'll get responsive airdodginf 100% of the time.

Top Bottom