• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

It's 2016 and we've got people spamming TriHard in the SGDQ chat during the DK64 Any% run.

gosh golly gee

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Wavedash character design is sort of straightforward. I get a spy kids vibe. The production quality is there, and it sounds like you have more imaginative designs in the works beyond "powersuit human" so I'm excited overall. Hopefully costumes are a thing so her design can be more standout. This genre has a lot of out there designs between RoA, Lethal League, Skullgirls, and even Street Fighter with exaggerated hands and feet going on, so I think that good design really goes a long way in making the game more iconic. I have never played

Skullgirls, but I instantly recognize big band and his taunt where he plays instruments.
L-CANCELINGGGGGGG
Have you played ESA? It is really fun, but I'm sure you would hate it; it is somewhat. Quirky.
Yesterday I learned H2G2 was a BBC radio show before it was a book, so that is my affternoon.
I can't wait for the rush down character to far and away be the best character, with the whole metagame designed entirely around dealing with it

weebs
lol heaerthstone
Just a disclaimer: I'm nit trying to start ****, I'm just asking a legitimate question.

Alright, so, to preface, I guess I should ask how you feel about a character like Pharah. Do you like her basic concept and design? If yes, what about it so you like?

And then, if yes, also: what makes her design different/better than the ashani one?

After actually getting to see the video, that was one of the first things that came to mind. I'll ask about it on the fb page, I guess.
I liek how she is brown beautiful waifu in my harem
poorlycompressedpng.jpg

Actually, kind of concerned about the level of influence Overwatch's success with have in not just this game, but games as a whole.
The model looks like injustice level of bad combined with the low poly model, look like some mortal kombat game from the ps2 era, and i dont think this is how you reveal characters, just look at smash 4, SF V,BB,and GG newcomers trailers, a character needs to be show in motion, because that's half the character personality,hell if you compare the idle animation to Captain Falcon you can see how much better Cap animation is at showing this personality.
Maybe they intentionally put out this pre-pre-alpha concept expecting it to get roasted and wanted the community input. Also probably showing that work is getting done.

More info released from Wavesmash Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Zxh15kpmQ
tbh a game with entirely falcon esque characters would probably be both fun and balanced. I think he is the only successfully implemented glass cannon in smash.

also, "Matt got his start hosting Smash tournaments back when wavedashing was a controversial strategy." is still funny and makes me cringe every time, wp
It's 2016 and we've got people spamming TriHard in the SGDQ chat during the DK64 Any% run.

gosh golly gee
Tell me when they have ESA or memetroid gaems

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Why's everyone saying ashani is phara when she's clearly fem lucian with Vi hands

CORY

wut
BRoomer
it was just an easy comparison (presumably fit woman of some vague non-white ethnicity in a powersuit/armor of some sort).

i've seen people say she reminded them of jacqui from mortal kombat, whom i'm only slightly familiar with, as well.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Yay something to look at
But what I'm really interested in is how the game plays, couldn't really care less about what it or the characters look like for now.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
So in other news, Blizzard is starting to give more straightforward hints about the new Overwatch character.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I recently realized how strong Bowser's pummel is. 4%? Is any other character's this strong?

Lizalfos

Smash Master
ESA retro styled Metroid-esque action platformer that feels familiar while adding quite a bit to the formula. I haven't beaten the game yet, but I've been told there are multiple endings. Although true 100% completion will have you pull out pen and paper if you aren't willing to spoil yourself, the main story seems to keep it to traditional progression by introducing new items and creative uses for them.
Even when you follow the path that the dev set for you, it feels like you are discovering new paths due to the map design's non-obvious nature. Normal progression is sometimes halted unfortunately, but I am enjoying it as a fun game for summer, since I have time to play around with the mechanics to try and access areas early and grab some pickups until I figure out how to progress.
The game teases you with optional items in rooms that must be accessed from hidden paths on separate screens. While I prefer this foreshadowing to hiding items in entirely unknown locations, the practice led me to a bit more than an insignificant amount of time (especially one room that only exists to spit the player out in cases of a corrupted save). The Steam group is active enough to help you along, and many people have complied guides for the post game.
Backtracking exists, generally but not always with terrain shifts, but most of the time can be avoided through a early and hard to miss item that provides access to teleporters scattered around.
There are some balance issues. The 3rd boss is very hard without a very missable item, then the subsequent bosses are challenging but very doable (I died an average of 4 times on each boss, but save locations are very convenient). I've heard that optional late game items make the final boss too easy.
The game is also pretty easy to break in fun ways. I enjoy this, but it is understandable that some people might see it as lack of polish. The dev knows about all of the following things, but he has deemed them interesting enough (most of the community agrees) or of so little impact to keep them in. I've encountered swimming on air in one location where it is possible to leave the water at a very fast speed, causing the game to miss the trigger for leaving the water. There is also an exploit with two early items that allows higher jumping than normal. There are a couple known bugs that allow phasing through walls and floors, but they are hard to find without knowing of them, they don't inhibit progress,and the dev has turned them into easter eggs. Anyone with mild persistence can sequence break, and doing it accidentally isn't unheard of. The dev supported the game after release however, and the most egregious cases have been removed or made extremely difficult to perform, so any sequence breaks you would encounter accidentally are almost entirely to your benefit: netting early health upgrades or items, the latter possibly opening up dangerous or difficult to leave areas. In a few instances I had to backtrack somewhat tediously to a teleporter because I broke into an area early, but was stopped by another roadblock
Music and visuals are solid. Text logs provide some story and context. The font used is sometimes hard to read: I confuse W and H a lot. There is an easy mode available from the start, and a few hidden modes too.

It is a good game if you have some time and patience. Not everyone has those luxuries though, so it is understandable that the game isn't for everyone. I recommend trying the free demo. While the map differs from the full game, being very linear, you can see if it runs without problems on your computer, and if you like the basic game feel. I don't know if the Steam summer sale is happening, but might as well put it on your wishlist. The dev is making a sequel game, so there is a solid possibility that it might go on sale when that one launches.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you ever get like 2 white pikmin on a person, and start pummeling, I hear sakurai jumps out and gives you a high five

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I finally got a local comic book store. Time to order in muh SM/WW volumes.

God bless America.

1467688291879.jpg

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Help me body this fraudster. it burns.
Isn't calling the 4th dimension time very misleading? You started at 2 then moved to 3 spatial dimensions, but suddenly you added a temporal dimension. By glossing over the change you miss an important distinction, temporal dimensions are considered unidirectional whereas spatial are considered bidirectional. Time is asymmetric, or non-reversible, primarily due to the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You seem agree with this unidirectionality, because you never suggest "walking" back in time as per your analogy. You further mislead with your analogy by suggesting instantaneous travel is possible with higher dimensions. The ant never "magically transports" from one place to the next on his 2D plane because the supposedly 2D plane is actually 3D. For example, if you believed the Earth was essentially flat, and you traveled across the world in a straight line, eventually finding yourself at your starting point; then you would conclude, barring any mistakes in your navigation, the Earth is a sphere. You would not conclude that you physically teleported once reaching a certain boundary, even though you could abstract the three-dimensionality as such on a 2D map. All your ant tells us is the existence of higher dimensions can very easily go unobserved unless actively measuring for them. For seemingly magical and instantaneous transport, you would require an observer who is unable to observe the 3rd dimension, and one who is able to traverse in 3D. While the observer will see the traverser disappear when he leaves the 2D plane it will be notable that the traverser's reemergence in a different location will not be instant in any case.
it never gets better
/nerdrage
Precal teacher lied to me. 0^0 isn't always undefined. It is actually frequently treated as 1 to avoid adhocing rules for zero.
Educator scum.
e: Actually all my teachers just neglected to accurately define undefined, so it would represent multiple possibilities instead of an impossibility.
Educating scum.
Code:
 x = y
divide y from both sides
x/y = 1
0/0 = 1 at the origin
because division is defined in terms of multiplication it  is better to represent it as f(a,b)         b * x  = a
This is an ∃mergency guys.
I remember discussing this video in one of my physics classes in highschool. While treating the 4th dimension as time works for this model, it also causes us to fall into the same trap as the 2d "flatlander" has, of mentally not accepting there is another spacial dimension "greater" than ours. While we cannot physically see other dimensions if they exist, we are able to create models of what higher dimensional objects look like while intercecting into our 3d plane of existence (so like how to someone who can only see 2 dimensions, a body passing through would just be cross sections fading in/out). For example hypercubes are commonly used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4P65EKjt0 . If a 4th dimensional being traveled through our plane. we would see its "guts" as whatever a dimensional cross section would look like. This is where it gets all speculatory and science fiction though.

I really do enjoy that model of Time, but its lacking from a spacial standpoint. Where the time model is nice is that it is definitely finite up to the point of our understanding of existence and possibilities, while spacial dimension models have no limit, and nothing observable.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There's 132 dimensions, and in each one Captain Fapcoj is the best Smash character

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
aw nuts, talk of matrix and perspectives and now dimensions, with random references to anything from paradoxes to time to gods to whatever.

5ish posts back and I've yet to rant, guess I'll have to whip something up with you nerbs <3

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Really late to the party, but... it was weird for me to see Project M shut down. Made me sad, and just... it was an odd feeling.
That mod changed my life, no joke. I wouldn't have joined this forum if not for it, and that led to a lot of things... some good, some bad... but undeniably, my life would be very different to the point it's hard to imagine where I would be in life, if not for Project M.

RIP

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I remember discussing this video in one of my physics classes in highschool. While treating the 4th dimension as time works for this model, it also causes us to fall into the same trap as the 2d "flatlander" has, of mentally not accepting there is another spacial dimension "greater" than ours. While we cannot physically see other dimensions if they exist, we are able to create models of what higher dimensional objects look like while intercecting into our 3d plane of existence (so like how to someone who can only see 2 dimensions, a body passing through would just be cross sections fading in/out). For example hypercubes are commonly used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4P65EKjt0 . If a 4th dimensional being traveled through our plane. we would see its "guts" as whatever a dimensional cross section would look like. This is where it gets all speculatory and science fiction though.

I really do enjoy that model of Time, but its lacking from a spacial standpoint. Where the time model is nice is that it is definitely finite up to the point of our understanding of existence and possibilities, while spacial dimension models have no limit, and nothing observable.
Even by its own logic: 3d is a single instant of our universe, and 4d contains all these instants chronologically. Then he acts like the ability to access the 5th dimension also lets us use the other direction of time. BUT IT DOESN'T. IT IS THE SAME AS THIS STUPID MOCK UP I MADE. YOU ARE STILL USING THE SECOND DIMENSION
YOU CAN'T TIME TRAVEL JUST USING A HIGHER DIMENSION.png

IF I CAN FREELY MOVE IN 5D, THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I GAIN THE ABILITY TO USE THE OTHER DIRECTION OF 4D TO GO BACKC IN TIME. Probably because time is different from a spatial dimension, and you are ****ing up when you treat something like time that boils down to fundamental interactions always happening as if it were just space. It is ****ing space-time.
Look. I found a quote so I'm just going to appeal to authority.

Little, if anything, is gained by representing the fourth Euclidean dimension as time. In fact, this idea, so attractively developed by H. G. Wells in The Time Machine, has led such authors as John William Dunne (An Experiment with Time) into a serious misconception of the theory of Relativity. Minkowski's geometry of space-time is not Euclidean, and consequently has no connection with the present investigation.
— H. S. M. Coxeter, Regular Polytopes[10]

Basically this is science fiction. I get that all of this abstract and in fun for the most part, but it is such a bad model.This is even when I follow the video's stupid and contrived rules. This video is awful. I could have actually learned something about M-theory in the time I spent on this ****.

**** EVIDENCE SUGGESTS THE UNIVERSE IS FLAT THE GEOMETRY OF SPACETIME IS NON-EUCLIDIAN. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN.
Can space be flat if spacetime is noneuclidian
god I hate physics

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I remember discussing this video in one of my physics classes in highschool. While treating the 4th dimension as time works for this model, it also causes us to fall into the same trap as the 2d "flatlander" has, of mentally not accepting there is another spacial dimension "greater" than ours. While we cannot physically see other dimensions if they exist, we are able to create models of what higher dimensional objects look like while intercecting into our 3d plane of existence (so like how to someone who can only see 2 dimensions, a body passing through would just be cross sections fading in/out).
you're saying that something is incorrect here but then implying that you're doing the same thing

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
you're saying that something is incorrect here but then implying that you're doing the same thing
Explain?
I don't think I ever said one was wrong or better than the other, just that one stops exploring potential spacial dimensions past ours and the other goes strictly for spacial and ignore temporal. The two could be combined at any point, Expecially because it deals with infinites.
If you mean how I said from our understanding we can't go any further in the time model, I disagree. We can conceptually imagine the existence of spacial dimensions past our own, to any degree. The time model in the video ends with every possible possibility/time line from every possible beginning of time/creation all represented. You could think that maybe there is something beyond that, but we have zero means to describe it or explain it, so it is not like spacial dimensions where we could never physically observe the dimension itself but can theorize what it would look like interacting with ours. Guess work vs tangible clues.

I know I'm just getting blecked though, idk why I'm falling into the pattern

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Look at all these problems that people create by overthinking. Why not just
instead of wasting time pondering things that don't really matter?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP
i would still prefer an analog joystick, but this in interesting for sure.

the button layout is really similar to what i would want for mine, as well.
naturally it's being argued that it would be immediately banned for "direct advantages" (the direct advantages are that you can do these things without murdering your hands)

remember, melee TOs still get overly upset about basic things like removing springs from triggers, and even the slightest implication of changing what each button does results in angry people. they're obsessively stubborn with making sure nobody can switch off their terrible control setup which directly resulted in literal hand fractures in top players

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Warchamp7 Warchamp7 Is it normal I get a restricted access error when I click the apply for sub league thing on the rankings

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I get the logic behind Hitbox controllers swapping out a control stick for directional buttons for the traditional fighters that use 8 directions, but doing it for a smash controller just seems plain stupid since you have hundreds of angles to choose from with a GC analog stick.

naturally it's being argued that it would be immediately banned for "direct advantages" (the direct advantages are that you can do these things without murdering your hands)

remember, melee TOs still get overly upset about basic things like removing springs from triggers, and even the slightest implication of changing what each button does results in angry people. they're obsessively stubborn with making sure nobody can switch off their terrible control setup which directly resulted in literal hand fractures in top players
I've personally never been to an event where the TO has complained about springs being removed from triggers.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the dpad buttons actually start out as tilt modifiers, so the idea is you theoretically have access to every possible tilt

except in reality it results in like a kajillion different combinations and even narrowing those down to stuff like best WD angles will still result in you learning how to hold a lot of god damn buttons

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Look at all these problems that people create by overthinking. Why not just instead of wasting time pondering things that don't really matter?
Oh sorry. You're right. I do that thing that actually matters. You know, the one that real higher authority told me to do. Because that exists.

Don't ever try to out edge me again.

Top Bottom