• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If buzzword has become a buzzword to you then you are a little bit busy drowning in your perception of the commonly terrible use of the word (like many other words)
Just be sure you're using it right and you don't have to cringe to get your point across lol

Helsong

Smash Ace
swearing from my experience indicates openness in demeanor in a way that people are very mixed about

but i agree that it's possible to be just as open without using swears as...buzzwords

sorry i gagged a bit that i had to use that word
I'm totally ok with swearing in general, I just take issue with people who think swearing=good/funny. It can be amusing at times, bu if that's your entire shtick, then you really need to re-think the value of your commentary. Like what @ Leafeon Leafeon said, pooch is a decent commentator because he can be funny and talk well about the game, not just because he swears. Coney can do the swearing and funny commentary, but also mix it up and be funny without swearing while also talking well about the game.

also commentators:

please never use the word "really" in commentary ever
don't use cheesy and long winded metaphors either

just expand your vocabulary a little bit and keep it concise

toph does a good job of this
Toph is super versatile as a commentator, and I think he's probably the best Smash commentator overall right now.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I'm totally ok with swearing in general, I just take issue with people who think swearing=good/funny. It can be amusing at times, bu if that's your entire shtick, then you really need to re-think the value of your commentary. Like what @ Leafeon Leafeon said, pooch is a decent commentator because he can be funny and talk well about the game, not just because he swears. Coney can do the swearing and funny commentary, but also mix it up and be funny without swearing while also talking well about the game.

Toph is super versatile as a commentator, and I think he's probably the best Smash commentator overall right now.
yeah I agree with this, toph is probably the best

also wife needs to stop saying things like "towards-b" like wtf

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
I dislike E-sports/play-by-play/D1 junior commentary a pretty big amount, and like @ PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP said, beautifully, BB is just a poor mans D1 when D1 isn't great to begin with. However, I came from the FGC where vulgar commentary is pretty common, and when the game I played (tekken) has one of the greatest commentators ever in my opinion (Aris), everyone in smash falls flat. I did like Coney and Pooch at Smash'N'Splash, I like commentators who don't feel so insecure with their sense of humor or personality that they have to rely on A. memes or B. saying **** like "Wario's side b hitbox gets bigger and stronger the longer it stays out" every 3 seconds wario is on screen.

Helsong

Smash Ace
yeah I agree with this, toph is probably the best

also wife needs to stop saying things like "towards-b" like wtf
I find the "towards-B" thing to be adorably quaint, actually. It's kinda endearing. Probably helps that I actually love Wife's voice. If he got more experience playing in today's meta and integrated that into his commentary, I don't think I'd accept anyone else.
The guy's voice is fantastic.
No, I didn't have a crush on him back when he was commentating MLG, shut up!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember when I commentated a match at one of my locals waaay back in 2013 and I barely said anything because I was so afraid of not pleasing anyone in the Twitch chat lmao

SunJester

Smash Ace
Wtf there were plenty of solutions: slow down, chill out, learn more about the game, etc etc. it's like you read the hate and instantly turned all white knight on us without finishing the posts lmao
I did see a few solutions. Solutions levied with a lot of hate. I'm fairly certain people don't respond well to, "You suck, I want to hurt myself when I listen to you, you don't even know the game, you make me want to facepalm and cringe every time you speak, but maybe if you slowed down a bit I wouldn't want to vomit when I see your face".

(yes, this is hyperbole)

If I'm defending anything its people who have put time and effort into our community. Instead of tearing people down we should work on building people up.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I was tired enough at work today that a guy was buying just a frozen Pizza at my register, and I felt like asking him wedding vows before handing him the bag. Do you sir promise to cherish this beloved Pizza for the rest of late night television, through the boring and cool parts of the show, according to the ordained directions given by Digiorno on the back?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i don't like commentating much because:

a) i don't get to play much and i'd rather spend free time getting friendlies/money matches in

and

b) i really really dislike play by play, but i also don't like random filler for boring/slow matches unless i'm with someone who's good at banter like oracle or bwett (or someone i know from the scene that i can **** talk with or something), so i just kinda sit there and study what they're doing/trying to do until something happens and the people who do play by play seem to want to switch that back and forth : /

and a little bit

c) i'm more of a hindsight/critique type of player, which doesn't lend to commentary very well in a lot of general situations.

i like to play the general breadth knowledge guy, but i also have a weird sense of humor (which i'm aware of) that doesn't translate to a lot of people, so i don't fill any good niches.

i also haven't commentated any stuff in a long while, so i don't know how much has changed in our scene, as far as general commentators go. i know ruin does a lot of it when he makes it out and then we have our silly memester kids who fill in on games.

as far as bb goes: i know them decently outside of the game and i know they're pretty cool people, so i take their enthusiasm with a grain of salt. it would be better if they knew more on the game and meta and how it tends to get played out, but they are new to it and it can take some time to get used to a decade of meta advancement and why things work the way they do (especially since they commentate across pm/melee and smash4, which have different engines to make their metas even more different).

i also haven't really listened to their commentary in a long while, because i don't casually watch too many random vids in my freetime, unless it's a matchup i'm wanting to get a better grasp of or something, so i don't know how much they've changed from what i remember.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Goddammit.

Screw that back to school supplies commercial thing where they had kid Michael Jackson singing that ABC 123.

THE SONG IS STUCK IN MY ****ING HEAD.

Well. It's better then Big Water at least.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
guys

i might retire from smash

;-;
(after paragon. imma take a fat break from it first tho, but it looks like my time playing this game is close to over)

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
guys

i might retire from smash

;-;
(after paragon. imma take a fat break from it first tho, but it looks like my time playing this game is close to over)
pass the hentai sponsorship torch o7

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
**** no son get your own

they never responded to me LMAO

if by random chance i do get it, my love for this game will be reborn

Last edited:

Diego Brando

Smash Cadet
I think JV holds Nebtune back a significant amount as far as commentating goes. I enjoy listening to Nebtune and someone else a lot more than the BB together. Nebtune also seems to listen to feedback and critique more from what I've seen/talked to him about.

I like that he tries to at least play friendlies with people at Infinity and Beyond when he's not commentating so he can get a better grasp on the game.. I don't think I've ever seen JV pick up a gc controller.

steelguttey

mei is bei
i just hate how much they ****ing jerk each other off

"haha look at this tweet, im gonna retweet that" "im gonna retweet that too"

"(some dumb ****ing meme)" "HAHA NICE JOKE HA HA HA HA

HA

HA

HA

HE"

also good job today @ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood proud of u bb

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I think JV holds Nebtune back a significant amount as far as commentating goes. I enjoy listening to Nebtune and someone else a lot more than the BB together. Nebtune also seems to listen to feedback and critique more from what I've seen/talked to him about.

I like that he tries to at least play friendlies with people at Infinity and Beyond when he's not commentating so he can get a better grasp on the game.. I don't think I've ever seen JV pick up a gc controller.
yeah but JV is cute tho

Lizalfos

Smash Master
tru

I think I'm going to buy a fightstick because Quater Circling on keyboard is dummmmb. Maybe even a pad would be good. Are there any good pads for fighting games that have analog stick or are they all basically digital buttons?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
tru

I think I'm going to buy a fightstick because Quater Circling on keyboard is dummmmb. Maybe even a pad would be good. Are there any good pads for fighting games that have analog stick or are they all basically digital buttons?
A guy I know in my region who plays SF uses a hori 360 pad (which I believe can also connect to comp because of USB port) to play on. Seemed like a really good controller.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
tru

I use a PS4 controller. The only knick about the controller is that sometimes I'll get a DP motion when I'm trying to do a QCF. I recommend a PS3 controller but usually the pad requires abit of breaking in.

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
tru

They're mostly if not all the latter. I own both a TE stick and a Hori stick. I perfer the Hori one better though.
PS: Oh wow, looking at the site, I got lucky. I bought both off ebay for $40 each...

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Ok, just making sure there wasn't some weird adapter or cable I'd have to buy.
They're mostly if not all the latter. I own both a TE stick and a Hori stick. I perfer the Hori one better though.
PS: Oh wow, looking at the site, I got lucky. I bought both off ebay for $40 each...
The link just sends me to their front page, do you know the model number?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Ok, just making sure there wasn't some weird adapter or cable I'd have to buy.

The link just sends me to their front page, do you know the model number?
I specifically got PS3 V3, but it isn't available on the site or Amazon, so your best bet is eBay. The 360 version must be floating in there too.

Edit: Mhm
360 Version - eBay
PS3 Version - eBay
Wondering why the PS3 version is more expensive these days.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Just remember, it's all about preference. Try a stick/controller if you can before you buy it.

Top Bottom