• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
my favorite part of today's commentary was BB leaving and oracle and bwett literally just going "hey all thee streaming equipment over here ****ing sucks"
yeah, it's like the good equipment is being used for the main stream---

wait just a goddamn minute

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
ALLRIGHT, HERE I AM PMS, I REVIVE THY SELFIE THREAD
here i am
here i am realizing i look like ****
NOW COME BACK TO LIFE SELFIE THREAD
walrus btw these pictures are broken

idk if that was the joke though

Guys I failed controller surgury :( Idk what I'm going to do, I only have my old one who's deadzones are horrendous and it drifts constantly in melee, and I really really really dont like my back up because its too stiff and I don't want to break it in because its shield drop spot is really bad

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
walrus btw these pictures are broken

idk if that was the joke though

Guys I failed controller surgury :( Idk what I'm going to do, I only have my old one who's deadzones are horrendous and it drifts constantly in melee, and I really really really dont like my back up because its too stiff and I don't want to break it in because its shield drop spot is really bad
oh that wasnt intended
will repost right away

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I think for the next PM major, the stream should just have Jim Ross soundbits for commentary.

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
attempt numbah 2
heres me
heres me realizing this is a terrible mistake
now that LTC3 is over and sm4sh social tr4sh left can we get a selfie thread revive 2.0?

D

Deleted member

Not playing PM.

Whatever, at least I can blame @Scotch98' for M2K's loss now.
Well, sadly, I had given my controller to another player, Aliami, who then gave it to M2K

I actually wish I had that thing right now because M2K told me how ****ing good it felt and ****

SunJester

Smash Ace
I think smash in general needs more knowledgeable commentators. I think overall the best course of action would be to get someone who's good at reading play-by-play, and someone who has really deep knowledge of the game so people can understand the intricacies of what is going on in the match.

There's a balance between knowledge/hype/"e-sports" that is being missed here. I think far too often people praise commentators for saying **** and ****, criticize people for trying to be excited about the game and get angry when someone tries to do a play by play. I don't know how people expect commentators to improve when everyone is saying how we need to swear like Pooch, scream like HMW, tone it down for the sponsors, do better play by play, have more indepth analysis, only interject when needed, don't ever get hyped, don't do this or that.

I think the smash community is all over the place for what they want of commentary.

Personally I love the BB's enthusiasm, I would like for JV to slow down a bit and maybe for both of them to really dig deep into the game to know the intricacies. I don't think they're going to please anyone with it, but its the next step I think.

Helsong

Smash Ace
@ Helsong Helsong I'm confused. What're you doing?
You mean Black Hat? It's a digital security and hacking convention. You go there and learn stuff about how hackers are working these days, cyber security, etc. from various professionals. Goes until the 6th, and is followed up by DEF CON, which is far more lax.

I think smash in general needs more knowledgeable commentators. I think overall the best course of action would be to get someone who's good at reading play-by-play, and someone who has really deep knowledge of the game so people can understand the intricacies of what is going on in the match.

There's a balance between knowledge/hype/"e-sports" that is being missed here. I think far too often people praise commentators for saying **** and ****, criticize people for trying to be excited about the game and get angry when someone tries to do a play by play. I don't know how people expect commentators to improve when everyone is saying how we need to swear like Pooch, scream like HMW, tone it down for the sponsors, do better play by play, have more indepth analysis, only interject when needed, don't ever get hyped, don't do this or that.

I think the smash community is all over the place for what they want of commentary.

Personally I love the BB's enthusiasm, I would like for JV to slow down a bit and maybe for both of them to really dig deep into the game to know the intricacies. I don't think they're going to please anyone with it, but its the next step I think.
I think non-esports commentary is really damn overrated. It's fun in small doses. Honestly, esports commentary doesn't have to be boring, and it boggles my mind that people constantly bash it as such. Scar and Toph manage to do esports commentary while being funny and insightful, so I don't really get it. A lot of complaints/backlash about esports commentary just feels like kids thinking they're cool for saying bad words a lot. The Foundry, as an example, is fun to watch, but I don't think it really works for serious commentary.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Oh, I remember.

So A Game of Thrones wasn't that bad on it. But I'm reading A Clash of Kings and I'm only like, 200 pages in and I think there have already been ~3 escapades

aka me sitting down and people too friendly and are like "Whatcha reading~?"
>look up
>wave front cover at them
>get badly disguised weird look
>end conversation as quickly as possible
>read

Edit - GoT TV show stop having a reputation :l

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Criticism is fine, but critiques in this thread are way overdone and offer no solutions to current issues. Its one thing to complain but if you're not going to offer solutions then you're not helping at all. Do I think they're great? No I don't, but I realize learning to commentate is a lengthy process, and there's so much about this game that even regular players don't understand. I think taking one thing at a time would be best, and I've offered my advice on that.

I think spitting insults at two people who have put in lots of time into our community is really unwarranted. You don't have to like them but learn how to critique, or don't say anything at all.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Criticism is fine, but critiques in this thread are way overdone and offer no solutions to current issues. Its one thing to complain but if you're not going to offer solutions then you're not helping at all. Do I think they're great? No I don't, but I realize learning to commentate is a lengthy process, and there's so much about this game that even regular players don't understand. I think taking one thing at a time would be best, and I've offered my advice on that.

I think spitting insults at two people who have put in lots of time into our community is really unwarranted. You don't have to like them but learn how to critique, or don't say anything at all.
for what it's worth i stand by what i said that commentary in general is not exactly on the fast track to improve, even if we have the potential to give reasonable critiques.

i see bb as a chance to have pm's own scar and toph, but things are young and they have much to learn.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Regarding commentary, I think that, while most players won't like to, we need players that have played the game itself for a while and understand every character at least a little bit; that includes squirtle, ROB and underused characters like puff despite her being in melee. What we keep having right now is commentators spouting nonsense that isn't even true, and I cringe -> facepalm true combo every time I hear it happen. The main issue is that the players don't want to be commentators because it cuts into playtime. And some of the good commentators are also busy TOing, ala Oracle.

I don't like Pooch just because he swears, I like him because he actually knows about the game, is real, and actually funny. Even when he's forced to be esports I find him funny so it's not just the swearing.

Having a radio voice in itself does help, but really it's just mute-worthy when all I hear is "Ooooh, can he get this edgeguard, he flubbed it, Ooooohhhh is that gonna kill," over and over again throughout the entirety of every set.

I'm sure both of the BB members would be great at 64 commentary because they have played it enough, but what they give right now is straight play-by-play because they're afraid of saying something wrong, which they usually do when they try to do any analysis.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Honestly, I feel like...if you have to swear to be entertaining in commentary, then it's likely you're not very entertaining in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Swearing is a minor problem that barely needs to be addressed in commentary, honestly. But if it's a consistent action, then yeah, it's a problem.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

Wtf there were plenty of solutions: slow down, chill out, learn more about the game, etc etc. it's like you read the hate and instantly turned all white knight on us without finishing the posts lmao

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
also commentators:

please never use the word "really" in commentary ever
don't use cheesy and long winded metaphors either

just expand your vocabulary a little bit and keep it concise

toph does a good job of this

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Honestly, I feel like...if you have to swear to be entertaining in commentary, then it's likely you're not very entertaining in the first place.
swearing from my experience indicates openness in demeanor in a way that people are very mixed about

but i agree that it's possible to be just as open without using swears as...buzzwords

sorry i gagged a bit that i had to use that word

Top Bottom