• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
yyou're probably not going to land a clean kill move on luigi off stage, but there's nothing wrong with that. your job is to keep luigi from resetting to a neutral position for as long as possible and getting free damage.
Yeah, I tried to focus on that the second set, since I definitely did a poor job edgeguarding in set one. I haven't found many good ways to actually hit him whenever he's recovering though...gonna need to spend some lab time figuring out what works, and when. Luigi's aerials are scary, and diving out too far can lead to dead Roys.

marth can edge guard better, but marth also has the marthiest case of marth syndrome in the game, whereas roy has no shortage of raw kill options. trying to kill luigi via edge guards is much worse than being able to just kill him.
I think this might be one of the few matchups where Marth would have an easier time overall killing than Roy would. Roy's standard kill set up don't work all that well against Luigi. Dtilt -> bair doesn't work at percents that will actually kill him. Fair -> fsmash works, but its pretty hard finding a time where Luigi is low enough and able to be fair'd (and doesn't DI away, as usual). Uair -> fsmash usually doesn't work, since he's so floaty (though uair -> bair might?). Dair SS -> bair is less reliable than most chars. DED >^> doesn't work at kill percents. Etcetc. Stuff like dsmash/upthrow will kill, but dsmash is pretty risky and upthrow is stage dependant. Marth on the other hand has dair set ups (via combos and edgeguarding), random fsmashes (which are generally easier to sneak in, in neutral, due to its superior range and ability to snipe him out of short hops), and then random stuff like uptilt/high uairs that will kill eventually with relative safety.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
No let me have infinite iron swords to just grind out 20/20 characters early and steamroll though the game.

Tbh I'd love it if the irons/bronzes/slims never broke, but anything better was significantly better but limited usage. I get the whole casual vs hard mode ****, but like, The resource management of harder modes is frustrating. If I wanted to play a harder rpg I'd go play smt

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve Muh Atlus vidya difficulty....
"Some fans who followed the game’s E3 coverage seemed to conclude that the difficulty of the game had been toned down in some way, that Atlus was of the mindset of making the game easier. Not going to happen. We get off on your tears." - One of their reps on Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The first 10 pages of this thread were pretty ****ing boring.

Guess that's what happens when you lose a thread with 90k posts or so.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Page 2007 which means Games of 2007 are being listed.

COD4:Modern Warfare, Portal, Halo 3, Bioshock 1, Team Fortress 2, The Orange Box, The Witcher, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Crysis, The Sims Life:Stories, Assassin's Creed 1, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Rock Band, Legend of Spyro: The Eternal night, Super Mario Galaxy 1, Need For Speed: Pro Street, WOW: The burning Crusade, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games, The Simpsons game, LOZ Phantom Hourglass(Liked this game outside of the backtracking of the main dungeon), Guitar Hero 3, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Kane and Lynch: Dead Man, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Shadowrun, MY Sims, Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2, Arkadian Warriors, Medal Of Honor: Airborne, God OF War 2, Cooking Mama: Cook Off, FF12: Revenant Wings, Forza Motorsport 2, Elder Scrolls 4, Shivering Isles, Mario Party DS, Crackdown, Mass Effect 1, Heavenly Sword, Manhunt 2, The Darkness, Crisis Core: FF7(In Japan), Lost Odyssey, No More Heroes 1( in Japan), Virtual Fighter 5( Version revisions are different between the 360 and PS3 for some god unknown reason), Eternal Sonata, Def Jam Icon( UGGGHHHHHH, Silent Hill Origins, Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection, Custom Robo Arena, Super Paper Mario, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, Etrian Odyssey, Taito Legends Power Up, Mario Party 8, Pokemon Battle revolution, Final Fantasy anniversary edition, Mario Strikers charged, Mega Man Star Force 1, Persona 3, Metroid Prime 3, Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon, Luminous Arc, Blue Dragon, Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Wild Arms 5, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, Crash of the titans, Star Wars Battlefront: Rouge Squadron, Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure, MM ZX Advent, Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations, Castlevania the Dracula X chronicles, Rathet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Tabula Rasa, FE: Radiant Dawn, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Contra 4, Sonic Rivals 2, Link's Crossbow Training, Unreal Tournament 3, Godzilla Unleashed, Time Crisis 4, Trauma Center: New Blood,

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?sort=moviemeter&title_type=game&year=2006,2006

Vashimus

Smash Master
2007 was easily one of the best years for games. Tons of really good titles for just about every type of player out there, and a lot of the now-standard industry BS hadn't reared its head yet.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the best example of the scunthorpe problem is how pokemon's name filter sets itself up so it can't even detect actual pokemon names like cofagrigus

that pokemon was made the same generation it was first implemented, too, there should be zero excuses

Bleck

Smash Master
Nintendo's apparently teasing a new Punch-Out!! game and hnrgh I'm trying to not get excited just in case that's not the case but hnnrgh HNNRGH

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Someone needs to do games that came out in 2008 for me since I'm gonna be going to a smashfest in a few minutes and we are on page 2008. The game that splinter a community came out this year.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I want to see @ Sethlon Sethlon and @Lunchables Sonic ditto one time in tournament; Sethlon used to playtest Sonic and Lunchables has said that he enjoys playing the character so I think it would be a pretty intense match! :D

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I think this might be one of the few matchups where Marth would have an easier time overall killing than Roy would.
For sure.
The one thing I noted in your set was a need to finish things a little earlier. Flare Blade could have gotten you at least 2 kills in the set when you opted for things like Fair when you DID jump out there. Though I'm sure you noticed that too, and likely from adjustments still taking place.
Otherwise, simply ending any basic strings or opportunities earlier with something like Flare Blade would benefit Roy greatly in the match-up. Take positioning away and keep Luigi off the stage rather than try and damage him.
Unlike a Ganon when you can combo him to oblivion AND/OR throw him off-stage and repeatedly edge-guard for all the damage, with Luigi as Roy you only get the latter. Poke with Ftilts in neutral and Luigi can easily run into them given the way his movement works (if Ka gets whacked by Darkrain fsmashes all day, Dong will get hit by bigger and faster moves), buffer rolls when you think some action might be punished (just like a Falco, rolling relieves and alters a lot of positional changes that can mess with their decision process or current pressure). There were also far too many raw approaches that you could have dealt with easily, which I'm sure would come with a little more play. Even rolling when Luigi goes for such raw UpBs from neutral still allows you to walk up and Fsmash with time, rather than try some off-handed approach to the falling body after it bounces off a shield/whiffs, even if you roll too early, not much Luigi can do to adjust unless they read it) and don't underestimate Flare Blade. Aerials don't clash with Luigi stuff, but he'll go through Marth Fsmashes in Melee like they're nothing. That concept applied to PM Roy still stands.
I'd guess Usmash isn't too shabby, though I haven't played much in the last year and wouldn't trust myself on that until testing.

Also to add to Marth being better at killing.
Dair when jumping from the ledge > Green Missile (or just raw from any height), DACUS is crazy for Marth in this match-up, and both of those are easy to line up to add to the safe-wall and pokes Marth already threatens Luigi into making non-guaranteed actions because of that came from Melee etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I tried to focus on that the second set, since I definitely did a poor job edgeguarding in set one. I haven't found many good ways to actually hit him whenever he's recovering though...gonna need to spend some lab time figuring out what works, and when. Luigi's aerials are scary, and diving out too far can lead to dead Roys.

I think this might be one of the few matchups where Marth would have an easier time overall killing than Roy would. Roy's standard kill set up don't work all that well against Luigi. Dtilt -> bair doesn't work at percents that will actually kill him. Fair -> fsmash works, but its pretty hard finding a time where Luigi is low enough and able to be fair'd (and doesn't DI away, as usual). Uair -> fsmash usually doesn't work, since he's so floaty (though uair -> bair might?). Dair SS -> bair is less reliable than most chars. DED >^> doesn't work at kill percents. Etcetc. Stuff like dsmash/upthrow will kill, but dsmash is pretty risky and upthrow is stage dependant. Marth on the other hand has dair set ups (via combos and edgeguarding), random fsmashes (which are generally easier to sneak in, in neutral, due to its superior range and ability to snipe him out of short hops), and then random stuff like uptilt/high uairs that will kill eventually with relative safety.
something i saw in both sets is that edge hog > ledge jump dair sweetspot still sets up for position really well even when bair doesnt combo so you can go for a flare blade and because its still a strong knockback disjoint that his fall speed and range characteristics cant really work with, luigi is absurdly strong against legit combos naturally but hes extra soft to isolated hits once you have him so you could maybe just swap FB into your edge guard game and roll it for good effect. you also did a run off flare blade at one point to punish tornado lag, but more importantly its a great out to luigis ultra low side b grab box which even good edge guard characters have problems with. the real reason marth beats luigi is that luigi cant beat fair, which roy cant match but he can somewhat imitate it long enough to work into something better. its also worth noting that luigis ledge dash sucks (youll understand best if you play with it for five min as to why its bad exactly) but then suddenly luigi feels like hes stuck using a pre 2007 edge game and you can cut off his options much better if he grabs the edge. like dong got me with a couple ledge jump fairs too because i suck but he mostly died horribly for them.

we could talk this over in person but imo its more fun when other people can join in.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Nintendo also put this out today:

I find it charming, but kids are embarrassed for people to think they like childish things so they absolutely hate it.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Nuuuu, I missed the page I was born in. RIP.

@PMS | Tink-er
Lol my critiques instead of finishing work, oops:
- Your IC's look really fresh out of the box. The wavedashes are slick but other than that it's kinda eh.
- Shield more.
- You may want to play a different character for a few to get used to the game. I'm not sure if you've played Melee for any amount of time but it seemed like you were having trouble edgeguarding Fox and other basics. You may have skipped this stuff, idk?
- Yeah, I'd just advise you to play vs. someone good with an easier character to play for a bit. Luigi might be a decent pickup due to the similar tractions, bad recovery, but overall gets punished less than IC's.

Also my scene in the area might be starting biweeklies. Not confirmed for Project M but it'll be hype if it happens.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
>implying you cant get good cookies out of dough anyways

so is that a yes
.....yeah you can stay with us
my cookies are fox tier, dough cookies are liiike idk ganon tier. good but not top tier.

What if we brought flour, sugar, chocolate chips and like, nutella?

idk, I want cookies now ;-;
acceptable <3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i'm going to bring oreos to your place to piss you off

ima eat em

right in front of you

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
cookie dough is great

not for properly making cookies tho. just make your own chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with them

Player -0

Smash Hero
wtf?

You mean you guys don't know about cookie monster? Down in Myrtle Beach (or was it Hilton Head). I basically mean Salty Dog there's an ice cream place with "Cookie Monster." It's got blue colored vanilla, oreo and cookie dough.

It's the worst thing for you but it tastes amaazinggg. Also your face/tongue will turn blue because lol.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
cookie dough is great

not for properly making cookies tho. just make your own chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with them
>putting cookie dough in your ice cream

what a pleb

All the patricians put ice cream in their cookie dough

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Nuuuu, I missed the page I was born in. RIP.

@PMS | Tink-er
Lol my critiques instead of finishing work, oops:
- Your IC's look really fresh out of the box. The wavedashes are slick but other than that it's kinda eh.
- Shield more.
- You may want to play a different character for a few to get used to the game. I'm not sure if you've played Melee for any amount of time but it seemed like you were having trouble edgeguarding Fox and other basics. You may have skipped this stuff, idk?
- Yeah, I'd just advise you to play vs. someone good with an easier character to play for a bit. Luigi might be a decent pickup due to the similar tractions, bad recovery, but overall gets punished less than IC's.

Also my scene in the area might be starting biweeklies. Not confirmed for Project M but it'll be hype if it happens.
IC's recovery is good tho, AI is only bad part.

Parents so controlling, telling me what to text to my friends. Just one summer with them left.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
there's no reason to assume that they're not going to change things to fit the other changes they're going to make beyond having a reason to complain about nothing

if you go back and make your weapons have infinite durability in the old games, it'd be pretty unbalanced - and that doesn't matter, 'cause this new game isn't one of the old games

also yeah everything @GigasOverlord said
Until it is confirmed that the system is changed I am going to be on the pesimistic side of things regarding this change.

I only have so much faith in IS. They can get a lot of things right usually but they also have a habbit of getting a thing or 2 wrong (which is only natural) and sometimes thos couple of wrong things can lead into some major imbalance, something every FE after 7 that isn't named Shadow Dragon (I can't comment on New Mystery or the ones before 7) has had in one manner or another, and this mechanic could easily be that.

And I hope dearly that IS proves me wrong.

No let me have infinite iron swords to just grind out 20/20 characters early and steamroll though the game.

Tbh I'd love it if the irons/bronzes/slims never broke, but anything better was significantly better but limited usage. I get the whole casual vs hard mode ****, but like, The resource management of harder modes is frustrating. If I wanted to play a harder rpg I'd go play smt
Git gud scrub. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom