• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Umb and I summed a lot of that Luigi stuff up, but to mix it a little more.
That Fair-game that Roy can't match is just as threatening when Roy jumps if you're somewhat liberal with Ftilt and things like SH Flare Blades, that's where some of the imitation can actually turn out better for Roy, as it works very well at higher % as well (FB and Ftilt hurt and take a lot of space, and are generally safe). It's scary as a Luigi to run into that stuff, a lot scarier than a high-% Marth Fair, just not as consistently threatening.

For the edge-game thing. Luigi's edge-dash is all he has outside the simple aerials onto the stage, but keep note of a couple things for PM specifically.
One thing that benefits characters like Ness/Peach/etc in PM is the ability to actually WL on the stage, proper Ledge-Dashes due to the ability to act so quickly out of Ledge-Jump animation (jumping straight from grabbing the ledge, whatever that's called)
Luigi can do this by jumping straight from a ledge-grab position and go into INSTANT Down-Bs to zip across the stage, and can WL INSTANTLY out of those Down-Bs (he can Side-B from the ledge instantly too, but that's more niche)
So careful with that.
The same thing applies to a lot of other characters with that instant-acting out of ledge-jumps. Pika can QA1 INSTANTLY from the ledge across the stage while partially invincible (the fast part of QA that he can cancel), where Peach can FC Fairs/Nairs INSTANTLY from the ledge at ground-height while partially invincible, for example. Luigi Down-B from the ledge is literally INSTANT and invincible on start-up.
Meta-games and counter-plays and shiz. Just stuff to watch out for.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
the best example of the scunthorpe problem is how pokemon's name filter sets itself up so it can't even detect actual pokemon names like cofagrigus

that pokemon was made the same generation it was first implemented, too, there should be zero excuses
Don't forget about Bulbasaur being censored in B/W's GTS filter.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i totally squandered the opportunity with that hot waitress, @Umbreon , and i don't even care.

might not have really been much of one, anyway, but i found it amusing that she complimented me as we were all leaving : p

Bleck

Smash Master
some local gamers started a Mario Kart group on Facebook and I was really excited but then it turns out that they only play Double Dash for some reason

D

Deleted member

i totally squandered the opportunity with that hot waitress, @Umbreon , and i don't even care.

might not have really been much of one, anyway, but i found it amusing that she complimented me as we were all leaving : p
study your calc

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
some local gamers started a Mario Kart group on Facebook and I was really excited but then it turns out that they only play Double Dash for some reason
I read Double dash as Mario Kart DS because that's the only mario kart that I would see as people considering it "above the rest"

Why would they limit themselves to only double dash?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
can't tell if this is a true statement or a thinly veiled analogy for melee

anyway mkds best mk
mkds was good on a mid-level, actually pretty awful when you get to a high level, simply because a portable console doesn't lend itself well to enduring techskill for long periods of time like a gamecube controller

MK8 200cc > MKWii on a high-end level > MKDS on a high-end level > MK8 150cc > the other ones > a noticeably loud fart in a small room > MK64

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
TIL that Lunchables gets bodied by solid laser game. And that Westballz uses lasers on small children, even though he never does otherwise.

Bleck

Smash Master
can't tell if this is a true statement or a thinly veiled analogy for melee
it's true, but the guys that started this group are guys I know from the local Smash scene and they're also pretty big into the whole Gamecube-era nostalgia elitism nonsense (one of the better Melee players in town tries to argue that Melee is inherently more 'accessible' because Gamecubes and copies of Melee cost less money, I wouldn't be surprised if they're applying the same dumb logic to Mario Kart)

in my opinion, the only Mario Kart games that're really worth playing "seriously" are MK7 and MK8 - MKDS has too much emergent gameplay stuff, MKWii and MKDD's items are overbearing, MK and MKSC aren't really multiplayer, and MK64 is good in a really boring way

MK8 is the best Mario Kart - not just 'cause it's new, but 'cause it has the overall tightest design in the series

Last edited:

NW_Gump

Smash Apprentice
When I watch Hamyojo play, he tends to approach with a lot of Fair's into Up tilt or just fairs in general. Is that generally a good option for yoshi or is that just his own preference, cause the way I use it right now is kind of like DK's Fair, so not as an approach.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Double Dash is pretty much the only Mario Kart game I still own. Well I have 64 as well but eh.

I've played every Mario Kart game after it, and owned some of the them, but they just felt like same old crap and just weren't drifferent enough to keep my interest. Meanwhile Double Dash is pretty much the m8st unique one of them and has kept my interest all this time. Even if I haven't unlocked King Boo or Petty yet despite having the game for I don't know how long.

But I also don't play the games seriously so what do I know lol.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
This guy just pasted hentai in the squirtle slack because we told him he wouldnt

My sides

SunJester

Smash Ace
While I can't speak about the competitive nature of other Mario Karts, 8 seems to have the most focus on pure driving skill. Being a MK game however, there's still a decent amount of luck involved in winning a race, but it feels like the RNG isn't as heavy as it was in other games. I remember in older Mario Karts, you could get absolutely wrecked at any time by a barrage of items, in MK 8 i feel like that doesn't happen as often.

I feel like I'm rewarded more for taking corners tight, for knowing when to pass players and for timing my boosts well. Plus the stage selection is the absolute best the series has ever had.

Splatoon also looks so late 90s/Early 2000's to me, and I mean that in the most praising way possible. It's somehow nostalgic for me without even being out yet.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Wow, Alan just put PM players on blast on GSATF. At least the ones in the NorCal area at least.

He might actually be right though, so idk lol

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I've never had a sundae before.

Or a smoothie.

Or even a milkshake.

Tell me guys, should I change that?
mmmmmmm.

I don't believe you.

Anyway: Mango smoothies. omg I want one now. If you've been to the beach or like anywhere you've had a smoothie. You've gone to a fast food place or something and gotten a milkshake or had a bit of someone else's.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
While I can't speak about the competitive nature of other Mario Karts, 8 seems to have the most focus on pure driving skill. Being a MK game however, there's still a decent amount of luck involved in winning a race, but it feels like the RNG isn't as heavy as it was in other games. I remember in older Mario Karts, you could get absolutely wrecked at any time by a barrage of items, in MK 8 i feel like that doesn't happen as often.
keep in mind, mario kart isn't like smash where it's still unique and notable without items, the itemplay is basically why it's mario kart and not a plodding f-zero

in fact, 200cc is becoming preferred SPECIFICALLY because, unlike 150cc, low-placement items actually mean something

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
do explain
He was basically explaining things including a lot of local PM players not knowing the neutral, lacking adaptation skills, and relying on gimmicks to extend combos or make a pseudo-neutral game. He used his experience beating or coming close to beating (when he shouldn't since he doesn't play PM) local NorCal PM players where he explained that in Game 1 the PM player would use a gimmick and win, and Alan would CP to a stage and use a strategy that would make the gimmick close to obsolete, but the PM player would still do the same gimmick that he used to win game 1, even though the strategy clearly wasn't working (and this pattern would carry on in game 3 as well). He also just described that a lot of PM players knew how to combo, but almost none of them, including one of the best NorCal players, knew how to play the neutral properly. Alan almost beat one of the best local PM players lol. He then went on to say that he found it silly that so many PM players demand changes in the game yet the majority of them (in NorCal at least) don't even know some of the most important aspects of the metagame (ex. the neutral). I could be misremembering/misquoting ****, but that's roughly what he said.

He also said it was stupid that local NorCal PM players refused to rank SFAT just because he only attended PM tournaments that had Melee in it. He also thought it was stupid when PM players would pop-off hard and not shut up about beating a ranked Melee player in PM (ex. Shroomed, PewPewU, SFAT) and then act really salty and complain about Melee characters if they lost to a ranked Melee player in PM.

It's mostly a NorCal local thing that Alan has, but you never know, it might apply to some other local PM communities lol, I dunno.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
He was basically explaining things including a lot of local PM players not knowing the neutral, lacking adaptation skills, and relying on gimmicks to extend combos or make a pseudo-neutral game. He used his experience beating or coming close to beating (when he shouldn't since he doesn't play PM) local NorCal PM players where he explained that in Game 1 the PM player would use a gimmick and win, and Alan would CP to a stage and use a strategy that would make the gimmick close to obsolete, but the PM player would still do the same gimmick that he used to win game 1, even though the strategy clearly wasn't working (and this pattern would carry on in game 3 as well). He also just described that a lot of PM players knew how to combo, but almost none of them, including one of the best NorCal players, knew how to play the neutral properly. Alan almost beat one of the best local PM players lol. He then went on to say that he found it silly that so many PM players demand changes in the game yet the majority of them (in NorCal at least) don't even know some of the most important aspects of the metagame (ex. the neutral). I could be misremembering/misquoting ****, but that's roughly what he said.

He also said it was stupid that local NorCal PM players refused to rank SFAT just because he only attended PM tournaments that had Melee in it. He also thought it was stupid when PM players would pop-off hard and not shut up about beating a ranked Melee player in PM (ex. Shroomed, PewPewU, SFAT) and then act really salty and complain about Melee characters if they lost to a ranked Melee player in PM.

It's mostly a NorCal local thing that Alan has, but you never know, it might apply to some other local PM communities lol, I dunno.
I don't know much about norcal PM, but Socal PM is the biggest drama fest on FB. Like my god its just Egos ramming heads together 24/7, its ridiculous. Cali PM just like that I guess

Top Bottom