• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Aight this suspense has just been killing me

IS NINTENDO GOING TO C&D PROJECT M OR NOT

Are they really going to do it? Or are we all going ape **** for no reason. I'd rather do it now than continue this **** for another year.

steelguttey

mei is bei
if they do that would be the stupidest decision they have ever made

they would lose all accountability in the competitive scene. they arent that dumb. theyre going to slowly choke it to death if they do do anything.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
GIMR is a dumbass. its not like he can get sued for streaming pm. the absolute worst thing that is possible is that he is eventually forced to stop streaming it. nothing else can happen.

and I'm willing to bet $200 that nintendo does NOTHING else for us or even GIMR with the exception of something at evo, this entire year.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
a C&D, in the face of a community already cautious about doing anything after what happened last time this situation popped up, would be a PR suicide for nintendo. if this was their decision, then choking out would be the most logical conclusion... but any speculation beyond that makes you sound like a conspiracy theorist, and at least their conspiracies are for things far more important than a video game mod

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Tbh after all this youtube bull**** that Nintendo is doing again, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo C&D'd PM tomorrow.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
it's because it kind of was the biggest stream for PM, would get 10k viewers every damn week and everything

this is also why diddy complaining was common, because while he was barely top 5 in 3.0, like half of the S@X area was diddy players

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm considerably less salty about this than most people I wager.

I guess part of the reason why I can't find myself hating GimR is that as much as I want to criticize him for selling out, I have to force myself to look at the alternative. We might still have PM on VGBC, but then we might lose VGBC in the process. What then? Find another channel and leave VGBC in the dust like VGBC is doing to us right now? I can't feasibly see a pretty situation to this either way and someone was going to fall first. The difference is that PM has the possibility of making it out alive through the outlets of other streams, while there's a likely possibility that VGBC wouldn't have. I trust GimR enough that this isn't some knee-jerk reaction to Nintendo sponsorship and he's gotten opinions and second-opinions from people who have enough experience in the legal field.

I'm probably going to get a lot of **** for this, but I didn't really feel good holding it in.
I feel the exact same way. No one is gonna give you ****

I'd also like to point out that PM and VGBC grew big in tandem. We helped out big time with #freegimr and VGBC gave us a ****ton of exposure (as much as we like to poke fun at xanadu pm, it was probably the most viewed smash weekly for quite a while.) It wasn't a one-sided "partnership", although it is unfortunate that we have to part ways now.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Gimr is a ****ing sellout

Now that's out of the way.

Anyways, does it bother anyone else that melee tops will never be significantly changed? Because it makes me not want to play pm anymore sometimes

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
On a completely different note:
GOTY 2015

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
What was the point of this big announcement exactly? To tell us what we already knew and to just heighten the PM is dead talk to an even greater level than it already was? Just make a post about it on PM reddit not a front page editorial where everyone can chime in.

Unless it is meant to be a big flashing light for money.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
What was the point of this big announcement exactly? To tell us what we already knew and to just heighten the PM is dead talk to an even greater level than it already was? Just make a post about it on PM reddit not a front page editorial where everyone can chime in.
idk man, people asked? I honestly think that's the thing that people are the least angry about right now lol

Last edited:

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
People can not like it. I hate it in fact. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
But I really hope for GIMR's sake that people stay civil.
But then again, expecting the same people who sent the Apex team death threats to be civil is like asking for world peace.

EDIT:
In regards to Nintendo's sponsorship, I doubt Apex (at least the Smash 4 side of things) would have been remotely possible without Nintendo. They gave Apex all the setups which included a Wii U, Smash 4, GCC adapter, and monitor. While nobody knows the real value, it's estimated to be over twenty grand just from the Smash 4 setups. This doesn't include the other setups they provided by the way, that's just Smash 4. While the other Smash events could have been run on community setups like they have been for years, Smash 4 doesn't really have that luxury. The system is way more expensive, the TV's are way more expensive, and GCC adapters are still hard to find and the sad truth of majors is that people steal ****, plus most people aren't going to be willing to travel with such expensive equipment.

Apex absolutely would have been possible without Nintendo. There have been plenty of other Apex tournaments and tons of regionals/nationals/etc. for over a decade for smash bros without corporate support. Also, Apex almost got shut down by other factors like a messed up hotel and stuff... How about thanking Twitch's sponsorship? There are other sponsors to be had and those sponsors are totally fine with Project M.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This thing with VGBC has me mad salty, but just kinda reminds me that Nintendo's only paying attention right now because Smash is "a big deal" at the moment. In a few months, probably around the time Splatoon comes out, they'll start focusing on that and'll stop giving a **** about competitive Smash.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
S@X was a **** stream anyway. More reason to support the TL boys. I think P:M is smaller on a National level. But for locals it might be the biggest game or a close 2nd to Melee (as is the case for my local community). There is little hope for an ESports future for PM, but it isn't helpful when all these nationals and streams that were previously supporting drastically decreased visibility of PM by dropping it, and then blame us when suddenly we are less represented. The Salt Mines, other community effort exists, and they are filling the vacuum that these past months of PMless things created.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
actual thing someone said on /r/smashbros (RIP that time the subreddit was alright):

As sad as this is for the PM community, this is a logical sacrifice if we want to see smash become something recognized as an official E-Sport.

I really wish to see all smash grow together. This is our prime time.
hmmmm. I think there's a flaw in this

SunJester

Smash Ace
Something I think people forget is that Nintendo has the power to shut down any tournament that they are not sponsoring, regardless of the game being played.

Remember Evo 2013? Sure they reversed their decision but if they wanted to they could have shut it down.

They can do the same thing to any stream making money off of their game, that they aren't sharing the profits with. They can do it with any event that is making money off their game (such as a tournament).

My point I'm trying to make is, why wouldn't they have shut PM down when events like Apex and CEO were making money off of it last year? (Plus drawing hundreds of entrants, and thousands of stream views) Maybe NOJ is putting more pressure in NOA, but its my genuine feeling that if they were going to do something about PM, they would have done it already.

I'm pretty sure the worst they can do is C+D, because PM isn't illegal. It is infringement so I don't think they can sue over it, people are welcome to prove me wrong tho.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I just don't understand why a Nintendo sponsorship gets some people in this community so ****in wet.

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
The future of Pm lies IN NETPLAY. When the new dolphin drops I hope all of you join the smash ladder. Even if your a lag *****, you could go on just to talk or stream or whatever. I think that's a part of the community that could REALLY be beneficial for pm, it just needs some more support.

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I get the disappointment, but I'm not gonna say we shouldn't have seen this coming. Back when Nintendo was announced a sponsor at Apex, we should've known PM was gonna be put on the back burner for a while. VGBC dumping the game that made them who they are is a slap in the face, I'm not gonna lie, but we can't pretend we shouldn't have at least considered this being a possible outcome from the start. We should really be concerned for GimR more than anything. If he loses even half the subscribers he gained during the big #freeGimR, that man very well may go under. My condolences go out to GimR.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I just hope GimR and VGBC somehow comes out of this unscathed because he's going to be hit with a huge wave of unsubscribers.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I just hope GimR and VGBC somehow comes out of this unscathed because he's going to be hit with a huge wave of unsubscribers.
I wonder how many subs are specifically there for PM, actually. I'm recalling a similar situation where #cancelWWEnetwork was trending, and then the next day they finally broke even on it and hit a million subs lmao

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
The future of Pm lies IN NETPLAY. When the new dolphin drops I hope all of you join the smash ladder. Even if your a lag *****, you could go on just to talk or stream or whatever.
I dunno, man. I've never had a Netplay session in Dolphin before and I suck at Smash despite earning the Diskun trophy.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I wonder how many subs are specifically there for PM, actually. I'm recalling a similar situation where #cancelWWEnetwork was trending, and then the next day they finally broke even on it and hit a million subs lmao
I think there are some subbed redditors who'll just unsub cause of bandwagoning and/or to spite GimR lol

GimR is running a business, no one should feel upset about unsubscribing if he's not giving them the content they want.
I'm not telling people to stop unsubbing lol

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Just replace the L/R buttons of one of the new controller with old ones and practice moonwalking for a few hours to loosen up the stick. EZ
The triggers and the control stick were the best part
The L (I don't really use R) was the best part; it was worn down perfectly by my casual friends that used it a decade ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-XdNjpR2LI Just like the control stick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dDGnmZbN8I (I even like how they got it to be all smooth rubber)
Although both were "perfect' a couple years ago, now they got a little too weak in the L (to the point there's no click at all or anything) and the control stick is obviously just a bit too loose: but again both near perfect.

Also another thing I like is for some reason it weights like 2/3 the weight of a normal controller, even though it's got the rumble and everything. Idk why.

I have no clue how close you can "try" to worn down triggers to match its exact feel using Kadano's methods of spring and hard press modification/puncturing. Nor do I think something like the White controller's different stick box type can ever be loose/feel in the same way.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Tbh after all this youtube bull**** that Nintendo is doing again, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo C&D'd PM tomorrow.
Can we complain to the better business bureau? Like the YouTube stuff is EASILY fair use. Streaming games is fair use too, commentary, stream interaction, ect. create new ideas and content w/o damaging (actually helping in fact) profit for Nintendo.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I think the more pressing issue at hand is the fact that this thread has more sell-outs, changing their smashboards tags n' ****. I'm looking at you @Canon @Aerodrome @Jolteon

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad For the triggers at least, you can physically cut off about 1/3 of the spring so that the press is as light as possible while still extending fully. Just be really careful and do it in small increments if you don't have a lot of spare springs.

Or just take your old trigger mounts out and put them in the new controller you dingus

Top Bottom