• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Didn't one of the best chess players end up saying he hated chess or something?

I'm a little dismayed with College right now, I ended up choosing to use my electives for Business. I'd like to hope I can pursue Accounting, but I blew my chance to get the possibly better class time/teacher for my beginning accounting class. My Intro to Business class just seems like all the students in it are dull, as well as clueless about what they want do as I am.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Didn't one of the best chess players end up saying he hated chess or something?

I'm a little dismayed with College right now, I ended up choosing to use my electives for Business. I'd like to hope I can pursue Accounting, but I blew my chance to get the possibly better class time/teacher for my beginning accounting class. My Intro to Business class just seems like all the students in it are dull, as well as clueless about what they want do as I am.
Bobby Fischer began to dislike regular chess a lot near the end of his career, and thought Chess960/other new formats were the way of the future. He didn't hate the game per se, but that advanced preparation and extensive opening theory lead to so many draws and that it was hard to play an "original" game with a person.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Bobby Fischer began to dislike regular chess a lot near the end of his career, and thought Chess960/other new formats were the way of the future. He didn't hate the game per se, but that advanced preparation and extensive opening theory lead to so many draws and that it was hard to play an "original" game with a person.
Do you feel the same way, being a high level chess player yourself?

Last edited:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Vectorman was playing really awkwardly at Apex. I don't know if it was a reflection of him trying to play Yoshi like Melee Yoshi but with Jump OoS, or what, but he was fishing for fair meteors like he just finished a trip to the bait and tackle shop.
Allrite finally home to say what I wanna say, haha. First off apex was a blast, so thanks everyone who I played, and sorry to those of you I didn't get to play that I wanted to play.... Unsure if anyone knows, but I did make it out of R1 pools at apex (p.m and melee) and it's fun. p.m is fun.. Sadly aMSa, didn't make it out of P.M. Pools. I lost a close set to fuzzyness (he actually 4 stocked me game 1) xD but i lost (2-1)... I proceeded to round 2 pools only to lose to salem and his zelda.. :) also (2-1) <--very close set actually.. ^^ My thoughts are the same as they always were.. I don't think Yoshi has a "hard" time with Zelda, I do feel I just lost.. haha plain and simple. Salem is good :)

Allrite now to address, P.M. Yoshi, and I will speak on aMSa's behalf also.. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the way P.M. Yoshi is right now.. what the team has done with Yoshi, is fair, and adaptable and outright AMAZING....and with the proper practice, is transitionable to P.M. The problem is very simple, and unique to us... It's just not Melee Yoshi.. It's 3 or 4 basic problems, but it's big enough to where the difference is TOO great for us to properly adapt... I know there are more than these, but I will say these for now, and will address more if I feel it's necessary but..(note: I very well understand these might NOT even be fixable) but it's also why we haven't adapted

1. The most important one. The Parry mechanics, just aren't there and it's still wrong/incorrect, I'm glad you can parry grabs, but that isn't the main thing the parry is essentially useful for. Sure it's good, but we need the melee parry... quite simple, Not a major flaw, but enough to where it majors a difference.. Parrying moves is really good/useful, and is needed

2. The shielding mechanics: Two Major flaws here, but please note (him and I are greatful yoshi has a jump oos) however, you've changed two things also... the First being, Yoshi now suffers shieldstun, well which sucks.. lol I understand why it had to be done, but it's definetely not the same, and it's different... on top of that that, depending on a moves power Yoshi's shield will actually move a bit.. which is incorrect. If Yoshi is full shielding, regardless of the moves strength Yoshi goes nowhere... Im sure he'd like that back also.. the second one and MORE important, is that Yoshi's "lightshield mechanic" is obviously MIA, and again, I understand why it couldn't be fixed.. but for certain situations the lightshield was vital.. Fox Drills, Pikachu fairs, metaknight, Ivy Ftilt, we lost that ability to completely just slide away... and adapting to that is different

3. (I'm actually indifferent on this matter, but I do understand where aMSa is coming from) but the Egg trajectory is different... the way the egg moves and travels, with aMSa's style of play, it likely just messes with his combos, but I'll have to get more detail from him... (We talk frequently, so it shouldn't be a problem to find out)

4. the Ledge eggs. The timing is different, (again I also know/believe this is being worked on) but ECE's that would cause you to SD in melee, are nearly perfect ECE's in P.M. this is only a small problem, but switching back to melee, would cause errors.. Also, if you throw the eggs further towards the middle of the stage, The Eggs get caught underneath the stage, and hit the stage rather than thrown towards the stage, which very much "limits" where the egg toss is thrown... Just a slight loss in coverage, but again, something that's just very different.....

Lastly, this is for the thing I quoted from Kink-Link about my gameplay:

Sadly, you noticed, and many others too actually, but during day 1 pools, (in general) it was brought to my attention, that my control stick is/was very loose (It would stay stuck right/left/up/down depending on which input I'd press)... I tried to have people look at it and fix it, it was opened probably 6 or 7 times by different people, but all of them told me the same thing.. "Something about the control stick is unable to fix" due to the circuits inside or something... Me, it's not that I don't trust people... it's just that i'm VERY attached to my controller, and I've heard this before, and was able to fix (if even temporarily but fix nonetheless.) I'm so attached to my controller I feel i'd play better with a "defective controller" rather than use one i've never handled before...No shots fired intended here, but I also didn't intend to walk around the venue, and go "controller farming" I just don't do that, and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I don't think people understand Yoshi tech enough to fully understand what my needs might be for a controller... It's not as simple as "Here use my controller, and all will be good" not quite, Yoshi has tech skill that rivals like Fox...

Basically as stated above, the stick would stay stuck in a direction, in which i first input... So if I run to the right, the control stick would have a slight priority to always going right..<--- basically this, except with all directions, (but most noticably left, and right) I'll let you guys imagine the possibilities with this... What I would do is reset my controller, either in between stocks, or while I was being comboed, or just any chance i could, that way I get a neutral stick if even for a moment, because in P.M. a moment is all you need with Yoshi to turn a game around.. :) I did this for both melee and for P.M, and it was working fine for me.. Regardless I don't regret my decision, and I don't think, no I KNOW, I wouldn't have played any better/worse with a different controller... Even now, i'm doing everything I can to fix my controller, and I'm hoping I can do something about it... :) If I can't, I'll start controller hunting, and/or just start doing this, because I honestly don't feel it affected me THAT much... just a teeny tiny bit.

Thanks again everyone for your support! <3 you guys oh and I hope the Yoshi stuff helped.. >,<

EDIT: I wasn't THAT bad Kink-Link, you're so mean!! (I admit, though after years of playing melee Yoshi, I think I will ALWAYS forget that in P.M. I can jump OoS, it's so difficult for me to train myself to remember that) :( <3 Bait and tackle shop xD

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I sincerely hope Yoshi's mechanics get touched up to mirror Melee's and that you continue developing PM's Yoshi, Vman. He's got some of the craziest tools in the game and completely changes the rules of how engagement is handled in a way comparable only to how Jigglypuff did in Melee.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Yoshi melee mains probably have problems dued to press jump directly after shield because of melee and in P:M you are out of your defence then.
The changes you suggest seem legit.
Inb4 aMSa Top 8 PM Apex 2015 :D

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I want aMSa to do well at P.M. also.. Sadly, (according to aMSa) he only had one week to prepare/adapt to P.M. Yoshi, so for Apex, he had a weeks practice, and for me, it was only my 4th/5th time playing... aMSa, and I both want to continue furthering P.M. Yoshi very much, and we will obviously help any Yoshi players wanting to get better... For now though both of our MAIN priorities will indeed be melee! :)

but don't get it twisted, we will ALWAYS help anyone! <3

SpiderMad

Smash Master
it's just that i'm VERY attached to my controller, and I've heard this before, and was able to fix (if even temporarily but fix nonetheless.) I'm so attached to my controller I feel i'd play better with a "defective controller" rather than use one i've never handled before...No shots fired intended here, but I also didn't intend to walk around the venue, and go "controller farming" I just don't do that, and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I don't think people understand Yoshi tech enough to fully understand what my needs might be for a controller... It's not as simple as "Here use my controller, and all will be good" not quite, Yoshi has tech skill that rivals like Fox...
I too was attached to my awesome Purple controller, but the play on the control stick towards the right was detrimenting my distances I could run and aerial towards the right among other things especially for Falco. My friend gave me a refurbished purple one and it has grew on me, and even the jump buttons/A button being more raised that felt weird at first makes early aerials easier (and DJ Fair for like D3). The controller just has bad shoulder clickers (the springs feel awesome for light press in the Wifi version, but the clickers for full press are sucky unlike anything I've seen before and actually skip out on the input every so often) and the Z button is kind of stiff. Anyways, try to try more controllers out there and you might find love your controller a little less. What exactly do you love in your controller, is it solely the stick?

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I've been very stubborn with moving on from my favorite controller too.
Cstick drops inputs like crazy. If I reset the controller it will work just fine for maybe a minute or so before it starts dropping inputs again so I have to constantly find room to reset the controller between stocks or when stuck in a combo.

It's been my controller for over five years now, and the analog is tight as hell, which is the primary reason I love it so much. I've played with other controllers and I'll be missing simple things like tight dashdancing, god forbid I try to pivot.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
You might want to consider removing the analog from your current controller and soldering it onto another controller. Solder isn't too complicated, so if you're new I'm sure you could learn it quickly.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Do you feel the same way, being a high level chess player yourself?
I'm decent, but nowhere near the level of GM. If I ever get that good, then I will comment :)

(Chess isn't stale for me, but then again I can watch draws between the top 10 and be absolutely astounded in their positioning and foresight. There are strings of moves 10, 20, even 30 moves deep that they lean into and it's brilliant)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'm decent, but nowhere near the level of GM. If I ever get that good, then I will comment :)

(Chess isn't stale for me, but then again I can watch draws between the top 10 and be absolutely astounded in their positioning and foresight. There are strings of moves 10, 20, even 30 moves deep that they lean into and it's brilliant)
I was unaware DMG did anything other than be hilarious.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Chess theory and strategy has had many, many centuries to develop, to the point where we largely have the game figured out. It's not the fault of chess itself, I still find it compelling to play.

I can't imagine Melee being hundreds of years old though. 20XX just gets a whole new meaning.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I was unaware DMG did anything other than be hilarious.
:)

I've been interested in Chess since early Middle School. I still like it, although the last year or two has been online only. Nothing like the feel of pieces in hand though

Edit:
Chess theory and strategy has had many, many centuries to develop, to the point where we largely have the game figured out. It's not the fault of chess itself, I still find it compelling to play.

I can't imagine Melee being hundreds of years old though. 20XX just gets a whole new meaning.
It's more than that. In the past few years, computer strength has gone up considerably to the point that even our strongest Human players find it incredibly difficult to win. What this has also lead to, is much easier/quicker/better analysis. Computers completely dominate tactics, and a few are getting incredibly strong at positional play too. Grandmasters can take Houdini or something related, and strongly analyze games or opening theory at home, but so can his opponent, and it's likely you'll come across those exact computer lines in tournament. Especially if it's 90% aligned with our naturally developed opening theory. Starts to stale the game a bit

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i got a new controller, and it lets me play Falcon basically perfectly, but stutters when i play gnw

heart = broken

Vashimus

Smash Master
I need to get a new chess set. The one I have is a glass set I got eons ago as a gift. Having the board and the pieces with transparency makes looking at the game confusing as hell. Also, they're glass.

I like pieces to have a lot of weight to them. Makes it feel powerful whenever you make a move. Weighted wood pieces look great, metal ones even better.

Then there's the look. I love Staunton, but I also like the look of some of those "hipster chess" sets, as I like to call them. Too bad they're expensive as ****.

Azotal

Smash Cadet
I need to get a new chess set. The one I have is a glass set I got eons ago as a gift. Having the board and the pieces with transparency makes looking at the game confusing as hell. Also, they're glass.

I like pieces to have a lot of weight to them. Makes it feel powerful whenever you make a move. Weighted wood pieces look great, metal ones even better.

Then there's the look. I love Staunton, but I also like the look of some of those "hipster chess" sets, as I like to call them. Too bad they're expensive as ****.

How costly? Mind my asking?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It's been yeeeaaaaars since I played chess... but I have an old hand carved wood set that my great grandfather made himself... it's really quite beautiful with a certain degree of crudeness that comes from a level of inexperience that he had at the time of making the pieces and means a lot to me. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
If that's not too cool then idolon is another possibility. That would give you Idoleon.
I seriously thought of a mix between Odin and Eevee when I read this

Eevees that are used by l'cie trainers against the fal'cie elite four

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Decided to finalize my smash tag for competitive play today, and all my friends seem to agree that my name should be Tropico. I will now carry a bottle of OJ to every tournament I attend.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I would play chess more often if they customized one where
Rook: Falco
Bishop: Sheik
Knight: Marth
Queen: Peach
King: Falcon
Pawn: Fox

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Decided to finalize my smash tag for competitive play today, and all my friends seem to agree that my name should be Tropico. I will now carry a bottle of OJ to every tournament I attend.
Let it rock. I used to bring a loaf of raisin bread to smash tourneys cause of Brawl's parody pun on Falco's "Hands Off my Bread" quote cause I played Falco also it helped to bring food to snack on so your mind will be on food less.

Vashimus

Smash Master
How costly? Mind my asking?
The REALLY expensive stuff -- at least $200.

You can check Chess shopping sites like this one and look through the prices yourself to see how ridiculously high they can get. Some sets do reach $1000.

There are some very classy ones that are slightly cheaper like this one.

....but either way, no way in hell I'd spend $200 on those. You can get quality chess sets for a quarter that amount.

Last edited:

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
@
The REALLY expensive stuff -- at least $200.

You can check Chess shopping sites like this one and look through the prices yourself to see how ridiculously high they can get. Some sets do reach $1000.

There are some very classy ones that are slightly cheaper like this one.

....but either way, no way in hell I'd spend $200 on those. You can get quality chess sets for a quarter that amount.
I have been wanting to buy a clock for as long as i can remember! Thanks for the link! I love speed chess!

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'd finalize my smashtag as Dude Man (been using it since I made my HUmar on PSO back in like 2003 or something), but I have a feeling I'll get pissed off at large tournaments trying to distinguish if my name is getting called or not.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This card is perfectly fair and balanced. Killing every evolving basic pokemon on turn two and killing everything else even faster with trainer ramp is healthy for the game. Paying 40 dollars a card is to be expected. After all, all the fun of trading card games is paying $160 for a playset of cards to win.

Azotal

Smash Cadet
Trading card games are flawed by design. They're pay-to-win, and beyond that it's all about bluffing or getting lucky. May as well just play poker.

Top Bottom