• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yeah, the one thing stopping KOF is mainly just how difficult it is to start out. you have to learn three new characters minimum, and they all have different movement tactics and tech, and if you want to mean anything you're going to need to learn a lot more than three characters because the KOF community is hard in the counterpick paint

I'd rather them try to not lower the skill ceiling, like what happens with so many games that try to be accessible, while still making it friendly to newbs, but that's likely not happening

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
He's a bad version of Potemkin Kappa.

EDIT: Also not Evo related but SF related but I find this tweet too hilarious. It's from the Capcom Fighters panel with info coming in.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
SNK does have a 3D fighter in the works. But who knows if it's KOF or something else like Mark of the Wolves or Samurai Showdown.

Yeah, Tager really is a worse Potemkin. lol
I kind of hope if they make another 3D fighter, that it's not like the disappointment that KOF MI or MI2 was. Personally, I prefer the 2D art style of KOF XIII and would love for another game to look that smooth and nice again.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Street Fighter fans seem hard to please, like even if Ultra is overall more balanced if the change they wanted wasn't implemented or their favorite character is still kinda mediocre than the whole update is considered a failure.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 2015 edition is probably on the way as we speak.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
@ Vashimus Vashimus
After watching some elena matches, I agree with everything you said. I really don't understand some of the things Capcom did when they were working on her.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
in their defense, most of the changes that made USF4 were either reverted by the time it went from arcade to digital download, or it's just flat-out meaningless

guile was supposed to have a bunch of fun changes... that immediately got nerfed when people started to play him.
the new characters were supposed to be really fun... and then they immediately got nerfed when people completely reasonably wanted to play the new characters.
red focus was supposed to be a tool that let you get in as a new player... except all that mattered with it is that it can crumple through combos, so only the characters with already-high skill floors cared about it.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that worked in the new update was delayed wakeup, in that it stopped safe jumps from happening as often which was the intent

Vashimus

Smash Master
I kind of hope if they make another 3D fighter, that it's not like the disappointment that KOF MI or MI2 was. Personally, I prefer the 2D art style of KOF XIII and would love for another game to look that smooth and nice again.
Hand drawn sprites like those in KOF13 are expensive and take much longer to make than models (i.e. the Skullgirls fundraisers where 1 character = $150K to make) The end result does look amazing, but sooner or later SNK will reach a point where it isn't practical anymore.

I won't have a problem with 3D as long it can play and look as timeless as the 2D sprites... which only one game has done so far.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
if SNK can make their 3D models look as good as what's being done with the new GG, I'm sold on it. psuedo-2D is the best of both worlds like that, if you can nail it you get both the beautiful art styles with the flexibility of patches (because if a hitbox changes notably in a 2D fighter, you either have to redo the sprite or deal, whereas in a 3D fighter you're just slightly modifying the animation)

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
KOF bracket reset. And Xiaohai won the first game in the reset. Ain't KOF at Evo without a reset.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Damn, so much **** happened today and I only got a glimpse of PP vs Ken, lol. Where did Leffen place??

Also, waiting for KI to start. Anime fighters really don't interest me :/

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Leffen got 9th. I'm honestly super surprised by Silent Wolf in top 8. The dude beat Shroomed, SFat, Fiction, and Leffen, that's amazing.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's saddening HD Remix is better than Super Turbo in basically every way, and you rarely ever see tournaments for it.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
they didn't even manage to balance akuma properly, as in they had to ban him because players showed he was still ST-quality

they thought the solution to grapplers was "well let's remove most of the things that makes the average grappler unique"

they saw ryu, one of the best and most consistent characters in the game in ST, almost on a shiek or fox level, and pulled a project m on it and said "HE DOESN'T NEED FIXING EVERYONE ELSE WILL CATCH UP"

sirlin has alright ideas, but as a balancer I'd greatly appreciate him never touching a game again

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
David Sirlin's HD Remix still displays more thoughtfulness than you ever see out of Capcom's Japanese fighting game devs nowadays, who make ludicrous claims like "parry was too hard" (when the opposite was actually true) and "let's put 1-frame links in the game because, um, well why not."

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Does anyone know what the easiest way to read PM files is? Lets say I have the package downloaded and for example want to read out knockback values on certain moves. Without being that familiar to the hacking scene

If the next version will be a breakthrough the scene here will grow. Time to be practicing.
Also, do you know how (and in which aspects different landing) landing and reset mechanics work?
BrawlBox, otherwise @Rat did something for a past version http://smashboards.com/threads/2-5b-hitbox-database.336893/ (http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-02.339825/page-237#post-16123897 )

I'm hazy on jab resets, Kadano will pry cover it in one of his videos.

I also wrote a large post on PM solving Smash hand pain, I've save it for after EVO I think

Did you beat DMG in the rematch?

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
David Sirlin's HD Remix still displays more thoughtfulness than you ever see out of Capcom's Japanese fighting game devs nowadays
which is why it's universally hated by most players?

or did you just skip everything I said there

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I will totally give you that Canon. People have the biggest boner for Sirlin, and he goes on to still break Akuma + try to redesign Chess with the lovely label "Chess 2". >>Mfw I have no face

HD Remix is the shiz though.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I only will acknowledge its existence on the basis that it's where snake eyez came from so it's not the worst thing

but also ST is so much fun to play/watch and the old/new character dynamic one can get off of characters like ryu and honda is something I've never seen done as effectively in any other game

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Super Turbo reminds me more why I hate Sagat.
except o.sagat has counters, where, again, the supposedly balanced akuma wins handily against nearly everyone in the cast

like n.ryu is better than o.sagat, at least he got consistency. it's like being that dude who johns about jigglypuff in melee

@ trash? trash? howd her stream go?
only like half-way done I think. she's already cracking because two-hour naps and coffee are not substitutes for sleeping, RIP

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@MonkUnit @standardtoaster can't remember which one of you I talked to, but a lot of those glitches came back on my copy of PM despite deleting the save file. Is this going to keep happening? Link's super jab, olimar's broken white pikmin back throw, and now MK can't airdodge? That last one isn't a button issue, I've tried both buttons with him and others, plus he can tech just fine too, but he can't airdodge. ZSS down-b super jump is probably back too. Formatting SD card and redownloading has never helped. I don't want to keep deleting save files, making new tags and fixing other stuff is a hassle.

Plus this **** still freezes regularly. But that's an issue with a lot of USB loaded games for me, not just PM. Are there hard drives that are less compatible with USB loading or something? I'm just using a 125gb HDD I salvaged from an old laptop, formatted partitioned etc, so I can have separate file systems for Wii games vs GC games.

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's this underhanded cattiness that makes you hard to talk with sometimes, @ trash? trash? .

Anyway, I've just never liked facing Sagat, not even to this day in Ultra. It's also hilarious to me hearing the crowd get hype over Choi locking down a Chun in the corner with Tiger Shots, but different strokes.

I'll fold on Akuma. What I feel HDR needed was a couple patches, and maybe an arcade release oversees. Of course with SF4 to promote at the time, it probably wasn't worth it in their eyes.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Some might be less compatible. Haven't heard of many issues though that were compatibility instead of incorrect formatting, partitioning, bad ISO's, etc

Top Bottom