• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
That's funny, I think Falcon kind of crushes her (or rather, limits what she can safely do)
If it weren't for N-air, U-tilt, F-tilt (the moving), and the initial Synthesis hit-box, Falcon could touch-of-death her for free on any shot and there would be very few things she could do offensively without leaving the opening for it. Even with these tools, that chore of fighting Falcon becomes a dirty chore while Falcon just prances around.

DrinkingFood
Hell naw! Sheik and spacies are the best characters in the game there's NO WAY that buffing other characters in nearly every possible way will ever make them better! The meta-game needs NO time to flush out, as there are NO dynamics in the process of control-game and stock-taking that has to develop when it comes to match-ups that require any form of precise decision making at a high pace that can only become intuitive and a natural state of play after a certain hold on that awareness passes.

Hall naw! Luigi and Pika for trash tier!

EPIC SARCASM BTW

Edit: spelling is for fools!

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I'll re-phrase it accurately for you.

It's possible that a melee top tier will actually be demoted to high tier when the meta-game evolves further. You for sure know.

If a character we consider bottom tier with little meta-game has a fairly believable chance at winning a major tournament, then the game is extremely well-balanced and it's not a stretch to thing they'll rise to pass melee top tiers when the meta-game evolves further.
Sense*

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Ivysaur is annoying because
A. She plays an insanely good keepaway game cause razor leaf
B. She's good at poking and landing hits at a safe distance due to disjointed vines
C. Has decent or good-enough Oos options (Nair)
D. Bair has a crazy range
E. Hard to edgeguard because she has a pretty good recovery.
F. Not too light, not too heavy
G. Nair comes at quick, does a lot of damage, and sends you far away (from Ivy)
H. Comboing with her is relatively easy since many of her moves have large hitboxes, plus they do tons of damage
I. Pretty good at edgeguarding because of Bair
J. SYNTHESIS. Its not amazing but its definitely demoralizing
K. So is Solarbeam
L. Leech seed and stun spore add insult to injury
M. Uair rockets her down, allowing her to escape some aerial combos and traps
N. Razor Leaf not only has a large hitbox, but it drags the opponent farther away, distancing yourself farther away from Ivy
O. Synthesis has very quick start-up, allowing Ivy to use it to escape combos or pressure (though Nair usually works better)
P. UpAir Spike crushes recoveries from below the stage
Q. Downtilt is crazy fast
R. Downtilt combos into its self and everything else

Lets see if we can get a full alphabet going xD

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Z: It's permanently crawling.
P/M/S?: Uair+Dair give her great aerial control to be scary above you too.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
How many people here have issues edgehogging ivy?
With edge-invincibility, I don't see how it's more of an issue with her than others, given she simply has a tether that will at most throw her futile above the stage for you to whack, or allow you to drop off with some attack whack her before hand if she dangles.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
A. She plays an insanely good keepaway game cause razor leaf
B. She's good at poking and landing hits at a safe distance due to disjointed vines
C. Has decent or good-enough Oos options (Nair)
D. Bair has a crazy range
E. Hard to edgeguard because she has a pretty good recovery.
F. Not too light, not too heavy
G. Nair comes at quick, does a lot of damage, and sends you far away (from Ivy)
H. Comboing with her is relatively easy since many of her moves have large hitboxes, plus they do tons of damage
I. Pretty good at edgeguarding because of Bair
J. SYNTHESIS. Its not amazing but its definitely demoralizing
K. So is Solarbeam
L. Leech seed and stun spore add insult to injury
M. Uair rockets her down, allowing her to escape some aerial combos and traps
N. Razor Leaf not only has a large hitbox, but it drags the opponent farther away, distancing yourself farther away from Ivy
O. Synthesis has very quick start-up, allowing Ivy to use it to escape combos or pressure (though Nair usually works better)
P. UpAir Spike crushes recoveries from below the stage
Q. Downtilt is crazy fast
R. Downtilt combos into its self and everything elseS: Ivy can heal upwards of 20% off a throw combo
T: razor leaf invalidates basic movement options

A) Easy as cake to Power-Shield
B) There's substantial lag on all but a few pokes (reminiscent of Falco pressure, NOTHING she does is actually safe)
C) If that GTFO OOS stuff was all that changed from 2.5 to 2.6, she would've been SO much better, she needs this more than other stuff.
D) Good, it should.
E) It's limited within a broad area, if she didn't have 'flexibility' in that range, she would be terrible off-stage.
F) N/A
G) Much needed (GTFO options that is), they flow well with her concept.
H) Good, they should, though this will take time to see how well she can actually use her 'everything combos into everything' traits.
I) Good, it should (given D + E + speed).
J) GTFO needed (See C).
K) Awesome.
L) Niche to her, adds a lot, but doesn't break stuff. Someone needs this kind of tool, she fits it.
M) Good move, she makes good use of it.
N) See A
O) See J + C
P) See M
S) Cool, unique, awesome on a 'keep away' based character.
T) See A + N

YELLOW

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I really enjoy about Ivy's design like her Uair rocketing her down. She's still annoying as ass to play against.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I really enjoy about Ivy's design like her Uair rocketing her down. She's still annoying as *** to play against.
I'm curious then, since most people think she's cool (I think that's what people think) but think she's annoying (another semi-educated assumption of the opinions of others)...

What would people do to 'nerf' Ivy, without taking her 'cool' stuff away directly?
Less damage on attacks? Less range on specific things?
Razor leaf? (remove the hit-box and she's fine lol?)

Edit: This is the social thread, is this kind of talk (changing things for opinion [annoying factors] sake) allowed? XD

This game needs some real characters
Worms and Wisps and weird things that don't make sense?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I would remove Ivy from the game and replace her with Grovyle.

Best tier 2 grass starter NA

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ivy is super annoying to fight. If you enjoy fighting ivy, you need to have your fun sensor checked.

#kappa

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I want the pokemon to change to : Wartortle, Venasaur, and keep charizard, he's a badass

Oracle

Smash Master
the tether reel is basically unpunishable if you're lucas because his dj sends you down first so they have more time to escape.

also lets replace ivy with weepinbell am i right

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Worms and Wisps and weird things that don't make sense?
Close, I was thinking we'd be going in the right direction starting over with Runescape characters.

You'd have the Pirate miner

The guy who only carried an abyssal whip

Party Pete

The lvl 80something guy

And Zezima

The rest of the cast would be Gundam and Digimon

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Edit: wtf
Worms and Wisps weren't nearly as good as that!
the tether reel is basically unpunishable if you're lucas because his dj sends you down first so they have more time to escape.

also lets replace ivy with weepinbell am i right
There's so little lag off Ledge-Jumps (Jump-Get-Ups/whatever they're called) that you can just do that and aerial/Zair her before she can act anyway. (Edit: She = Ivy)
Peach has to essentially do the same thing, but can Float + Nair before even losing her invincibility frames.

Otherwise, they also struggle with Ivy mixing it up by NOT reeling in, and dangling there. With the whole... tether > opponent jumps up > thanks for the ledge thing.

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Looking at Roy's P:M icon a little closer really makes me appreciate how good it actually looks. Now we got the whole crew! :marth::ike::roypm:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So I take it that 2.6 Ivy has the potential to be the next 2.5 Sonic?
2.6? Ivy has been annoying and irritating since it first popped into P:M.

I'd actually say it's considerably less annoying in 2.6b, though still a nuisance.

On a completely unrelated note:

"Confidential Project M"?

Ridley confirmed for 3.0. You cheeky dickwaffles thought you could keep this a secret, huh~? ¦D

And now I pray that no one takes that bad joke seriously.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
...man all the clone engine discussion and I completely forgot the pokeball-item pokemon were even in this game. that's a bunch of good options right there

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
...man all the clone engine discussion and I completely forgot the pokeball-item pokemon were even in this game. that's a bunch of good options right there
pokemon already has 7 characters in PM, why would anyone want more

Top Bottom