• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Roy is the secret top tier, he is the character that we need but not the one we deserve right now.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'll see how well 360 controller works for PM/Melee. If it seems legit, I'll give it a go m8

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I got a few amazon gift cards for Christmas. I blew everything on a couple more new white controllers. I already have 2 of them, and about 9 assorted black/purples. I think I have a problem.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I tend to only have 2. Standard one I use for everything, and a backup fresh one still in the box in case my current one breaks. I'd only consider stocking up if there's a sub $30 deal on the white controllers, or some verified decent used ones.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The fact that Melee's been getting 100+ locals this year is absolutely insane...
edit:
Melee at 500+?! DAAAAAAAMN
Our locals at Chicago have gotten insane as well, I think tons of people around in the MLG era got back into it through EVO, the documentary, and Reddit.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Roy is the secret top tier, he is the character that we need but not the one we deserve right now.
I played Darc a few weeks ago and he thinks that Roy is one of the best characters now (for the record he actually uses Roy in Melee when he's not using Jigglypuff so he knows what he's doing).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think Darc is wrong about Roy. He still has a hard time getting around CC, and people are highly mobile in this game. Roy needs everyone to get bodied like Spacies or Falcon off 1 random Dtilt, for him to be that godly. I actually have much more faith that Brawl characters like Wario Lucas Wolf and Snake will do more in tourney than Roy, and will prove to have better MU's once people start to play lamer.

To be honest, I'm not sure Roy is even above the "halfway" point in the cast. It's not like they did a bad job with Roy either! I think it's just harder to win the average MU as Roy compared to 10-15-20 other semi useful characters that tear up stuff in this game.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd play you on regular Wifi. You won't win on that turf vs me :)

Edit: I'll look into netplay. I won't be able to do it with friends who struggle to run it over Dolphin but I'll see

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
hey anyone lookin to get wrecked on netplay hit me up, ive been chew'in up noobs all night
I'm a noob you can wreck or whatever, but I've never played online despite downloading the Wi-Fi set. Where do I find my Brawl Friend Code to put up on display on my profile?

Also I use the Hackless method, in case you were wondering, so I might not be able to fight on Dolphin.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I'm a noob you can wreck or whatever, but I've never played online despite downloading the Wi-Fi set. Where do I find my Brawl Friend Code to put up on display on my profile?

Also I use the Hackless method, in case you were wondering, so I might not be able to fight on Dolphin.
oh i was using dolphin netplay to battle on wifi, it has very little lag

I'd play you on regular Wifi. You won't win on that turf vs me :)

Edit: I'll look into netplay. I won't be able to do it with friends who struggle to run it over Dolphin but I'll see
Hey bro, ive destroyed like 20 scrubs today with over half the cast, ill demolish you bra, i bet you dont even wavedash bro, ill fight you,
well i would fight you, just not over normal wifi it sucks too much, i played it with drinkingfood and got *****

In fact im callin out everyone who has dolphin netplay, ill beat you without breakin a sweat, real talk mang. Ill fight all of you 1 by 1

the trashtalk is real

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I wish i had a computer capable of running dolphin :/
Dude, I can run it with the GeForce 610, that gpu is like 35 dollars, OpenGL makes a huge difference.

And plus we still need a rematch, don't think I forgot about that embarrassing wifi match, I haven't played wifi since

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Dude, I can run it with the GeForce 610, that gpu is like 35 dollars, OpenGL makes a huge difference.

And plus we still need a rematch, don't think I forgot about that embarrassing wifi match, I haven't played wifi since
I don't think you understand
my only computer is a tablet/laptop hybrid or w/e they are calling these things now
it's not even good at running HD video, much less emulating something and then playing it in HD.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I don't think you understand
my only computer is a tablet/laptop hybrid or w/e they are calling these things now
it's not even good at running HD video, much less emulating something and then playing it in HD.
Look dude, if your chickening out just say it, there is no point in making excuses. I'm sure everyone will understand that your too afraid to fight me :)

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
i would gladly be down to wreck your ****
maybe in a week or so I will have the chance, my roommate just got a nice laptop that may be able to run dolphin, so when I move back into the dorm I'll check with him to see if I can set it up on there

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think Darc is wrong about Roy. He still has a hard time getting around CC, and people are highly mobile in this game. Roy needs everyone to get bodied like Spacies or Falcon off 1 random Dtilt, for him to be that godly. I actually have much more faith that Brawl characters like Wario Lucas Wolf and Snake will do more in tourney than Roy, and will prove to have better MU's once people start to play lamer.

To be honest, I'm not sure Roy is even above the "halfway" point in the cast. It's not like they did a bad job with Roy either! I think it's just harder to win the average MU as Roy compared to 10-15-20 other semi useful characters that tear up stuff in this game.
If he had a less vulnerable neutral game then Roy would be pretty damn good, but I'll agree that Roy as he stands right now is towards the lower end of the cast - maybe solid mid.
CC as you mentioned still ****s him up, and dash dancing around just doesn't produce the same results as it could in Melee. He has trouble getting confirms against a lot of characters; like sure when he gets the confirm he can open up hard... basically anything he confirms can lead into Fsmash or Neutral B, but getting to that point is just such a struggle so often.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Look for matches here
http://widget01.mibbit.com/?settings=0df80b8c72d2f32b9579c82f3cbe6ced&server=irc.rizon.us:6660&nick=webchat_???&autoConnect=true&channel=#dolphin-ProjectM
I've been trying to find a decent match as well

I'm hosting in the east coast: 1bb59f4e
Hopefully it won't be too laggy
Hey I'll be glad to play you right now, if your down then pm or just normal message me and I'll get my stuff set up

i would gladly be down to wreck your ****
maybe in a week or so I will have the chance, my roommate just got a nice laptop that may be able to run dolphin, so when I move back into the dorm I'll check with him to see if I can set it up on there
What was that? You'll gladly be down to crouch cancel and up-b out of shield? Or are you gonna fight this time?

Bring it bra, I'll make you drink something other than food
*giggles*

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Im still term illiterate when it comes to smash...but what is the "Neutral Game"
Neutral is what both people should probably try to aim for when there's no hitting or huge positional advantages going on. Two people on stage, without one side already doing a tech chase or combo or x. You try to look at what that character wants to accomplish, like a grab or a certain tilt to set up a combo, and figure how how easy or how hard it would be to try and land those options.

That's a simplified version if it, because Neutral Game is a pretty broad term that usually also includes how mobile your character is, how they handle themselves defensively against pressure, can you force the other person to approach, etc. If someone were to say that Fox has a better Neutral Game than Ganondorf, you would look at a varity of factors to determine this:

Fox runs faster
Fox has a projecile while Ganon doesn't
Fox can evade offensive pressure better
etc

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So I just buy a ~$30 "gpu" and stick it in my laptop? And it replaces my Intel HD graphics card?
Here's what I got now http://smashboards.com/threads/dolphin-online-melee-netplay.335432/page-10#post-15887027
Edit: I just read having a laptop with a factory standard gpu is not replaceable =(, besides super difficult anyways. Hopefully they just improve Dolphin a bit more or something (although people keep using the older version?).

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
dmg I had a post typed up about the neutral, then went to finish up my laundry and when I get back you beat me to it
so I just delete it like a buster :drsad:

D

Deleted member

Im still term illiterate when it comes to smash...but what is the "Neutral Game"
neutral, positional advantage, and positional disadvantage are relational terms i came up with a couple years ago when i was trying to teach the melee marth players how to strategically approach the game, after which i had to define conversion as the point at which you go from the positioning game and you transition into the punishment game. the short version is that neither you nor your opponent has any real positional advantage on each other, and from this point you try to move your character in such a way that you have an advantage on your opponent simply by being in a better location.

for example, you are marth and your opponent is fox, and neither of you have the other at any real point of leverage. you then use dashdancing (correctly) to potentially threaten the opponent while not extending any risk yourself. in response, your opponent jumps. you have no moved from neutral to a mild form of positional advantage. in response, you move under the fox player and you uptilt him and start a combo. the uptilt is how you exist the positional game and transition into the punishment game, therefore uptilt is your conversion.

at some point, your punishment game will end, either because you lost your advantage in your punishment game or because you killed your opponent. the goal is to maintain control during your punishment game because it lets you maximize your punishment while the opponent has no say in what is happening at that point in the match. rinse + repeat.

http://smashboards.com/threads/drastic-improvement-under-construction-for-apex.311129/

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Ever come back and you just have 17 alerts?

Neutral is what both people should probably try to aim for when there's no hitting or huge positional advantages going on. Two people on stage, without one side already doing a tech chase or combo or x. You try to look at what that character wants to accomplish, like a grab or a certain tilt to set up a combo, and figure how how easy or how hard it would be to try and land those options.

That's a simplified version if it, because Neutral Game is a pretty broad term that usually also includes how mobile your character is, how they handle themselves defensively against pressure, can you force the other person to approach, etc. If someone were to say that Fox has a better Neutral Game than Ganondorf, you would look at a varity of factors to determine this:

Fox runs faster
Fox has a projecile while Ganon doesn't
Fox can evade offensive pressure better
etc
neutral, positional advantage, and positional disadvantage are relational terms i came up with a couple years ago when i was trying to teach the melee marth players how to strategically approach the game, after which i had to define conversion as the point at which you go from the positioning game and you transition into the punishment game. the short version is that neither you nor your opponent has any real positional advantage on each other, and from this point you try to move your character in such a way that you have an advantage on your opponent simply by being in a better location.

for example, you are marth and your opponent is fox, and neither of you have the other at any real point of leverage. you then use dashdancing (correctly) to potentially threaten the opponent while not extending any risk yourself. in response, your opponent jumps. you have no moved from neutral to a mild form of positional advantage. in response, you move under the fox player and you uptilt him and start a combo. the uptilt is how you exist the positional game and transition into the punishment game, therefore uptilt is your conversion.

at some point, your punishment game will end, either because you lost your advantage in your punishment game or because you killed your opponent. the goal is to maintain control during your punishment game because it lets you maximize your punishment while the opponent has no say in what is happening at that point in the match. rinse + repeat.

http://smashboards.com/threads/drastic-improvement-under-construction-for-apex.311129/
So basically it's the calm before the storm.

Finding openings, baiting enemies, etc.

It's something I don't get to work on very often either.

I don't think I can get an accurate representation of my own neutral game because I play a lot of hyper offensive players. I know how to deal with these threats properly through similar tactics that have been mentioned but I've never played against someone else who has a real understanding of the neutral game.

At least, I haven't played against someone who understood the neutral game ever since I understood the neutral game.

Didn't know what it was called though. :(

Top Bottom