• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Damn I missed a lot. Oh well.

Oh, and MvC2 technically had twelve viable characters in tournament play, not 4. Still awful balance-wise but still. Details.

...uhh. I don't...know. Should I be laughing at @ Lizalfos Lizalfos saying Melee and PM are identical? Should I be nurturing @Kurogal and her drive to post better? Should I love-hate @ Bleck Bleck ? Will @ Helsong Helsong ...

sleeping **** this

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Didn't that age range grow up with the N64? Especially considering the GameCube sold less than the 64.
Most melee players i've seen are around 18-22. Which would make their birth year around 1993-1997, which would make them 4-8 when Melee came out. Which is about the prime time when people seem to talk about their nostalgic feels. They would also be about 3-7 when the N64 was fazed out, so I imagine most younger players never even played the 64.

Bit of a rant about nostalgia coming, not directed at anyone in particular.

Plus I've just seen a general trend of people talking how great the gamecube was and kids these days don't understand. I think the gamecube had great games, I'm just not blinded by nostalgia and can accept that new things can be as good, or better than things I enjoyed as a child. (not trying to insinuate you're nostalgia blind, I don't know much about you, this is more of a general statement)

I went through this **** like 5 years ago with "ONLY 90S KIDS REMEMEMBR" this is just going to be "ONLY AUGHTS KIDS REMEMBER" in like a few years, things like this are just the genesis of this ongoing bull****.

"DAE REMEMBR FALLOUTBOY AND SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE AND CD PLAYERS?" count my words, **** like this is coming.

Sorry if this rant is overstepping, but I hate overtly nostalgic people, they're the impedance of progress. The mindset that what you had (or by extension your generation) was the best this world has, or ever will have, is so incredibly ignorant and stupid. I want to build off of the foundation laid by people previous to me, and make the world BETTER for future generations.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
a lot of the Melee players in my town have never even played Smash 64 and I laugh at them when they call themselves Smash fans

Sorry if this rant is overstepping, but I hate overtly nostalgic people, they're the impedance of progress. The mindset that what you had (or by extension your generation) was the best this world has, or ever will have, is so incredibly ignorant and stupid. I want to build off of the foundation laid by people previous to me, and make the world BETTER for future generations.
agreed

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
a lot of the Melee players in my town have never even played Smash 64 and I laugh at them when they call themselves Smash fans

agreed
When I was in 5th grade a bunch of casuals in middle school on my bus thought that the first Smash game was melee, they called me crazy for telling them that there was a N64 one.
I sure told those guys.

Edit: it was 5th, I remember that I didn't go to that school in 4th.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
Shouldn't you be sleeping to get ready for your Calculus 2 test? Oh, and I guess you didn't see the edit to my last post so I'll just say it here again, sleep well, good night and good luck with your Calculus 2 finals tomorrow/today!
Thanks.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@Kurogal Super late reply, but I got another part time Job, going to be an assistant coach on out city's rec teams, and going to run some kayaking/stand up paddle boarding classes.

Can't decide If I should look for a 3rd part time job, I know I can fit everything in with school next semester, but I dont know if I can handle the work load.

****, I need to catch up on JoJo

SpiderMad

Smash Master
In other news,

So glad I'm getting As, this semester sucked. Having to wake up for physics at 8am every day of the week and then getting tired at around 5pm was getting to me
Damn, I'd be surprised if you worked a job during this.
I don't see Killing Floor 1 on that list...
Watched a few seconds of it, I don't like
@Kurogal Super late reply, but I got another part time Job, going to be an assistant coach on out city's rec teams, and going to run some kayaking/stand up paddle boarding classes.

Can't decide If I should look for a 3rd part time job, I know I can fit everything in with school next semester, but I dont know if I can handle the work load.

****, I need to catch up on JoJo
How? What classes are you planning to take?

I'm graduating from a 2 year school. I need to find one to transfer to, for Business/Accounting something. My GPA being 3.7something and being part of an Honor Society thing should get me scholarships if I apply right. Oh, I wonder when they're gonna get rid of my school email.. that's gonna suck. Maybe they keep it for a while.

I need some magical genie I can hire to walk me through how to apply correctly to schools and decide on one.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
That happens to everyone in different frequencies I think, unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do other than to write down that you didn't remember anything when you woke up, which might make you start to remember

In other news,

So glad I'm getting As, this semester sucked. Having to wake up for physics at 8am every day of the week and then getting tired at around 5pm was getting to me
>Calc II
>A

Alright, just whose **** did you suck?

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Hey hey, 2003-2009 Fall Out Boy was actually really great. From Under the Cork Tree is still one of my favourite albums.
Fall Out Boy was my generic popular Aughts band. Basically how people get nostalgic about stuff that nobody has forgotten and asks people if they remember it, and everyone circle jerks over it. Everyone remembers FOB and Super Mario Sunshine.

Plus, to be honest, I like Fall Out Boy.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Damn, I'd be surprised if you worked a job during this.

Watched a few seconds of it, I don't like

How? What classes are you planning to take?

I'm graduating from a 2 year school. I need to find one to transfer to, for Business/Accounting something. My GPA being 3.7something and being part of an Honor Society thing should get me scholarships if I apply right. Oh, I wonder when they're gonna get rid of my school email.. that's gonna suck. Maybe they keep it for a while.

I need some magical genie I can hire to walk me through how to apply correctly to schools and decide on one.
Flexible work hours+minimal credits per semester. I'm done trying to do 18-20 credit hours(and labs), just taking it slow. Might just keep doing part time, although will probably end up doing a minimal full load. I really hate school.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
All of my dreams are bad

Even the ones that seem good are actually just bad ones in disguise

Motobug

Project M/+ community leader
like that's cool and all but you're like 15 or something so I'm fairly certain I'm allowed to ignore your opinions
D:

My opinions are valid...sometimes?

Well I'm also a Sonic player so I guess that counters it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I don't get how you can act like Melee is this super different game from PM and thus far inferior.

"It's not like PM!"
- - -
Top players by character.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
Damn I missed a lot. Oh well.

Oh, and MvC2 technically had twelve viable characters in tournament play, not 4. Still awful balance-wise but still. Details.

...uhh. I don't...know. Should I be laughing at @ Lizalfos Lizalfos saying Melee and PM are identical? Should I be nurturing @Kurogal and her drive to post better? Should I love-hate @ Bleck Bleck ? Will @ Helsong Helsong ...

sleeping **** this

Smooth Criminal
Will I...what, exactly?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I'm currently doing more research into AI as I pursue my master's. I'd like to make games some day, but I'll settle for it being a side hobby.
Making AIs is fun. The key to make good AIs is to put oneself in the AI's place. Like, what would I do if the opponent keeps dragon punching at wake up? Most probably I'd either block more or use a move with more invinc frames to beat it. Then it's just a matter of implementing that through code.

Also it's very important to make them as natural as possible. That can be achieved easily by using a random event system. In the previous example, instead of doing something like "if (reversaldp >= 5) blockatwakeup = true", it would just increment the chances of the AI to block at wake up. Otherwise it would be too easy to exploit it. And of course avoiding reading the player's controls is a must. It's completely feasible to make a fearsome secret boss without resorting to cheap AI.

Of course I'm talking about making good AIs for fighting games, but that can also be brought to other genres. Heck, I think that if there's one game that would benefit a lot from better AIs, that would be Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter's AIs are VERY simple and they are only challenguing because of the damage the attacks deal, having to stop for some seconds to heal oneself and other things that try to make the experience more difficult. Imagine if they were smart and actually moved around, strafing left and right to space themselves well from traps and such, targetted players based on actual info like damage dealt or type of weapon or tried to protect parts that were about to break. Then when enraged they would go back to the simple AI.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Making AIs is fun. The key to make good AIs is to put oneself in the AI's place. Like, what would I do if the opponent keeps dragon punching at wake up? Most probably I'd either block more or use a move with more invinc frames to beat it. Then it's just a matter of implementing that through code.

Also it's very important to make them as natural as possible. That can be achieved easily by using a random event system. In the previous example, instead of doing something like "if (reversaldp >= 5) blockatwakeup = true", it would just increment the chances of the AI to block at wake up. Otherwise it would be too easy to exploit it. And of course avoiding reading the player's controls is a must. It's completely feasible to make a fearsome secret boss without resorting to cheap AI.

Of course I'm talking about making good AIs for fighting games, but that can also be brought to other genres. Heck, I think that if there's one game that would benefit a lot from better AIs, that would be Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter's AIs are VERY simple and they are only challenguing because of the damage the attacks deal, having to stop for some seconds to heal oneself and other things that try to make the experience more difficult. Imagine if they were smart and actually moved around, strafing left and right to space themselves well from traps and such, targetted players based on actual info like damage dealt or type of weapon or tried to protect parts that were about to break. Then when enraged they would go back to the simple AI.
I doodle AI flowcharts when I'm really bored, so I get what you're saying. I definitely agree that you don't want the AI picking the best option every time, as that gets far too predictable, it'd be more interesting to make an AI adapt over time to the options the player picks.

And don't even get me started on AIs that read player inputs, ugh. Bad memories of Soul Calibur 3's AI...which could be exploited by going for semi-mid attacks, every time.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Just woke up too. Quick powernap before work.

Welp, convincing my fiancee to let me go to LTC3, Summit, and Paragon is going to be a hell of a magic trick.

who's tryna cuddle? ;___;
And here I was shipping you with @PootisKonga

Just because you two going on a date and talking PM Bowser all day is funny to me.

Top Bottom