• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I'll be honest with you guys. I seriously don't know whether or not the people who want ridiculous things like Goku or some ****ty indie game character are actually serious. Almost feels like it's a inside joke I've been left out for years.

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I'll be honest with you guys. I seriously don't know whether or not the people who want ridiculous things like Goku or some ****ty indie game character are actually serious. Almost feels like it's a inside joke I've been left out for years.
I'm not a supporter of Goku by any means, but I don't find it THAT ridiculous. It's like everyone forgot that we have Solid Snake in Brawl.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Why the **** arent people voting for shovel knight
At first I thought you asked why people are voting for Shovel Knight and I was about to start an internet fight.
Because some people are sane to not waste their time on indie games that didn't make a true marking for Nintendo?
You on the other hand...

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Also a question for everyone, do I type too much for most people to bother wanting to read what I type half of the time?
If that's the case I might change to just posting random images/videos most of the time instead.
Eh, that's true, but also I strongly get the impression that nobody actually reads anything I post if it's too long, I noticed that I'm even left out of the like walls that MechWarior and Lizalfos tend to do if my posts are too long, and while I reply to a lot of people, usually only about 1 out of 5-6 people ever seem to reply. Like for example, I pretty much pointed out that it's page 2015, the present and all that, in the middle of my first post on this page, but nobody seemed to care and just went to another post about it.
It's really just a matter of content. A lot of my most liked posts are relatively substantial walls of text. They don't get liked in spite of that, but rather because they have content that is engaging and relevant throughout. If your post speaks to people, they'll like it. But just responding to people won't necessarily get that - response isn't entertaining or interesting by nature, you have to make it that way.

I think part of it is that you tend to reply to specific people multiple times in each post, and each isn't necessarily something that anyone you're not replying to directly feels compelled to bother to read, if it doesn't feel relevant. If the first reply isn't too engaging, they're probably going to assume the next ones aren't either, and aren't relevant, so they'll skim or skip.

The other option is to only reply to anything with single witty quips. That works too.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Shantae all the way. I would also have taken Simon Belmont because dat whip. Who likes lengthy disjoints? I do!
If by some slim miracle Shantae does get in, I'll cry a bit when the hair ends up being a disjointed hurtbox.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Shantae all the way. I would also have taken Simon Belmont because dat whip. Who likes lengthy disjoints? I do!
If by some slim miracle Shantae does get in, I'll cry a bit when the hair ends up being a disjointed hurtbox.
no guize we need luffy and ichigo for smash trust me i'm legendary smash expert

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
It's really just a matter of content. A lot of my most liked posts are relatively substantial walls of text. They don't get liked in spite of that, but rather because they have content that is engaging and relevant throughout. If your post speaks to people, they'll like it. But just responding to people won't necessarily get that - response isn't entertaining or interesting by nature, you have to make it that way.

I think part of it is that you tend to reply to specific people multiple times in each post, and each isn't necessarily something that anyone you're not replying to directly feels compelled to bother to read, if it doesn't feel relevant. If the first reply isn't too engaging, they're probably going to assume the next ones aren't either, and aren't relevant, so they'll skim or skip.

The other option is to only reply to anything with single witty quips. That works too.
Actually, people don't seem to reply even if I address them directly most of the time, and I really hate the feeling of being ignored when I say something, especially if it's to somebody directly, so it kinda puts me off making long posts since I end up feeling like I should have just done something else with my time.
And although that does make sense how multiple replies in one probably put people off, even if I stopped I don't think I can really make content that's engaging enough for people to want to respond, so I guess I will just abandon ship on making long blocks of replies for now, and do single quips, like this:
lightning fast.png
@ MechWarriorNY MechWarriorNY Good god, what did you even do to get a warning that fast?

And actually, another thing I can think of that puts me off it as well was this one time when a condensed quote of one of my posts on a news article that only said "this" after the quote had a lot of unique likes that my original right next to it didn't, including one from Lizalfos actually, I guess my walls of text just really aren't engaging enough for people.
Anybody have suggestions on how to make my posts/writing more engaging/interesting/and the like?
I really would like to be able to feel like I can post something and not have most people ignore it.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Anybody have suggestions on how to make my posts/writing more engaging/interesting/and the like?
I really would like to be able to feel like I can post something and not have most people ignore it.
Better spacing on your paragraphs. It might seem like a small thing, but when I grade papers and see a massive block of text, my eyes glaze over. If you're talking about different ideas, then start a new paragraph in order to make your points more easily found and readable. It's not something I notice with your posts specifically, but something to remember.

In addition, simply varying the length of your posts? Not every post needs to be large and substantial, save those for when you really want to stress a point or have some interesting topic to discuss. Sprinkling some shorter, lighter stuff in your writing helps a lot as well, as it gives the reader some time to breath here and there.

And I suppose, simply don't use the "likes" you get on your posts as a metric. I rarely like anything, unless it's on a topic that's very interesting to me or is continuing a good conversation. Or just made me laugh. Just speak your mind, and try to flow with the conversation topic at hand. The unfortunate reality is that smaller quips are often easier to read through and consume, but you shouldn't let that stop you from making thoughtful posts, if that's the way you want to communicate on here.

Basically: don't let stuff like likes deter you, and there's no need to be insecure about people reading your posts. Keep discussing, take part in whatever the thread has decided to fixate on that particular day, introduce some interesting topics to discuss, and vary your spacing and phrasing. Or, in smash terms, play the neutral better, have good DI, and space in ways that make the match more interesting.

Helsong

Smash Ace
CGN keeps blowing my mind, video after video
YES. CGN is insane. I wish I was even half as good as he was at F-Zero GX. I'm still having issues with Story Mode Very Hard. Shift-Boosting is super fun when I can get it, though.
I'm honestly wondering if it's actually the most technical racing game out there. At least, it's one of the most technical games Nintendo's ever put out. I think it matches Melee in that regard.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
change your avatar
test h.png
, guess what? I'm not gonna.
Why would you even want me change it anyway?
Oh, and do you get a notification if somebody ignores you?
It seemed like you got some kind of warning when @ Strong Badam Strong Badam supposedly ignored you at some point.
Better spacing on your paragraphs. It might seem like a small thing, but when I grade papers and see a massive block of text, my eyes glaze over. If you're talking about different ideas, then start a new paragraph in order to make your points more easily found and readable. It's not something I notice with your posts specifically, but something to remember.

In addition, simply varying the length of your posts? Not every post needs to be large and substantial, save those for when you really want to stress a point or have some interesting topic to discuss. Sprinkling some shorter, lighter stuff in your writing helps a lot as well, as it gives the reader some time to breath here and there.

And I suppose, simply don't use the "likes" you get on your posts as a metric. I rarely like anything, unless it's on a topic that's very interesting to me or is continuing a good conversation. Or just made me laugh. Just speak your mind, and try to flow with the conversation topic at hand. The unfortunate reality is that smaller quips are often easier to read through and consume, but you shouldn't let that stop you from making thoughtful posts, if that's the way you want to communicate on here.

Basically: don't let stuff like likes deter you, and there's no need to be insecure about people reading your posts. Keep discussing, take part in whatever the thread has decided to fixate on that particular day, introduce some interesting topics to discuss, and vary your spacing and phrasing. Or, in smash terms, play the neutral better, have good DI, and space in ways that make the match more interesting.
I though my posts had decent spacing, and I actually usually tend to be concerned that I have too many line breaks, but looking back at it, does seem like it could use a few more, even though you said it's not an issue with my posts specifically.

Hm, yeah, I know that not every post has to packed, but I really love dense posts and I usually don't like to do posts that are too light in content unless I really feel the need to post.

And why do you think using likes as a metric is a bad idea? Most other users seem to like posts fairly liberally, and I personally take it as a sign people bothered to read my post, and while I want to speak my mind the way I want, the fear that nobody will bother to read what I'm saying if I don't make it really short, like in cases of a post saying something identical to mine but shorter getting lots of more likes, I just take that as nobody reading mine, and I think I just really love the idea of having my posts liked as well.

And I'll try to avoid being insecure about nobody reading my posts, but it really just feels like a complete waste of my time if I make a long post that nobody replies to or engages with it by liking, and to a lesser degree the feeling that people just disregard me, I have enough managing my free and not so free time, so if nobody replies to something I spent a while typing, it I just really get the feeling I should be doing something else more productive/fun/interesting instead of posting here/where ever.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I posted here that I had ignored him, Kuragal.
I've done 34 hours on the road before. Would not recommend, multiple sanity checks required
I have done about this many for a trip. Megabused to Chicago, then Champaign IL, then rode with Ripple to APEX 2012 from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom