• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
After going out for dinner with my parents, I came back and I've just finished the first part of the homework assignment. I think I get most of the syntax now, so the hardest part is out of the way, hopefully.

There was one test that wasn't working right, and when it was expecting "b" to be dequeued it would get "g" instead, for some reason. When I looked at the array in debug, I realized that, somehow it put "a" correctly in array[0], but then started with "b" at array[35] and continued on like that until, for some reason, deciding to put "g" in array[1], and then continuing numerically as it's supposed to.

The array is also 100 large, so it's not like the 10 objects being enqueued was too many.

So I changed one thingie from (number--) to (number-1) for each time it was referenced that way, and now everything magically works.

Maybe C# has some quirk on how it recognizes x-- in truth statements or something?

I dunno.

Computers.
Wait, doing number = number - 1 gave a different result than number--? What the hell

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Wait, doing number = number - 1 gave a different result than number--? What the hell
That's literally all I changed.

I dunno. Maybe it was because I was using it as a truth statement and it was a static variable...? Maybe it doesn't like that.

I mean, even if the number was somehow being changed by me referring to it as var-- in each truth statement, the variable in question was initialized at 100, and only 10 items were enqueued, so it's not like it would get down low enough to screw with things in the first place.

I mean, there's probably a reason.

Hell if I know what is though.

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
In a truth statement there would be a difference between number-- and number = number -1. number-- will look at number, and then at the end of the evaluation will decrement the variable. number = number -1 in a truth statement evaluates the decremented number before evaluating the truth statement.

If you wanted to, you could reduce it to --number, which will decrement number before evaluating the truth statement.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
In a truth statement there would be a difference between number-- and number = number -1. number-- will look at number, and then at the end of the evaluation will decrement the variable. number = number -1 in a truth statement evaluates the decremented number before evaluating the truth statement.

If you wanted to, you could reduce it to --number, which will decrement number before evaluating the truth statement.
That's kind of what I thought might be happening. But that kind of bug shouldn't have affected the implementation I had, because the size of that variable was arbitrarily large in comparison to how large it needed to be for the tests I was running. Even if it decremented 5 times for every enqueue, it shouldn't have broken anything.

And I just finished the linked lists part after realizing that the only problem was that I'd accidentally been returning the node itself for the dequeue instead of the data contained in the node. That was easy.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Hearing about 200cc makes me want to play it. RIP no Wii U.

brb Youtube video.

One day I'll show up at someone's house to play it, be prepared.
alright after playing some more:

-heavyweights, which were the only logical option in 150cc, are now damned near useless. handle stat is king now, and there's also such thing as too much speed in 200cc, making a lot of things unreactable if you don't slow down. only scenario I see heavyweights lasting is if someone can make them tolerable with a kart combo while still keeping their weight, because boy do people make huge leads in this mode (so metal mario/pink-gold peach)
-it's really clear that the game wasn't supposed to be played in 200cc, because some tracks are just flat-out unplayable. beyond just baby park (which is as miserable as it sounds), neo bowser city requires SUPER-HEAVY techskill just to stay alive and moving, not even taking itemplay into account
-shroomless strats are SUPER NEAT, as a lot of them are also very risky and thus you gotta press risk:reward ratios in your mind
-isabelle is viable, and for that humanity's quality has significantly increased

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Neo Bowser City was one of the tracks that I heard was absurd trying to play on. And remembering from MK7 on just 150cc and then playing on 200cc in MK8, yep. Holy cow.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm reading through MK8 discussions and people are mad b/c firehopping is less viable, calling other people who don't care "bad at firehopping"

can I just point out what firehopping is. firehopping is, after a boost from drifting, mushrooms etc:

-mashing r a lot to hop and get a bunch of aerial mobility as a result
-
-
-
-
-
-except when you're going down a slope don't be a doofus

like... that's possibly even lazier techskill than l-cancelling. actually, definitely lazier, at least you kind of pay attention to timing with l-cancelling

how is that a dealbreaker

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
so is 200cc good? I would imagine it is strictly better in every sense

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm about to MM my exam tomorrow and I haven't studied this match up this whole unit.

Gonna spend all night practicing this match up. Wish me luck.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I have to work 9-5 tomorrow and I locked my keys in the building, can't get a hold of any other managers. This will be interesting

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
so is 200cc good? I would imagine it is strictly better in every sense
this depends on how much you enjoy getting wrecked for small, easy-to-make mistakes (both in techskill and decision-making) and learning to punish everyone else's mistakes as efficiently as possible

which, since you're on the subforum of a mod intended to do a LOT of that, means "almost definitely"

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I just watched Ninja Slayer, did not expect anything based on it's description on MAL but still wat. I loved Inferno Cop but like 20 episodes of this?

I'll still finish it anyway because I started.

edit: a yeeart

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you so much @Lunchables LOL

I'm pretty sure the chat hated you for it though hahaha
I did super meme-y commentary and then the chat said to stop

So I stopped.

THEN when I gave serious commentary, the chat went ape**** wanting meme commentary back. YOU'RE ALL BIPOLAR

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That's right lunchies, spread the word and fight against ROB culture, it's just been pushed on all poor Tinks by the PMDaTriarchy, but no more. #SJW #SmashJusticeWarriors

Last edited:

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon

So I stopped.

THEN when I gave serious commentary, the chat went ape**** wanting meme commentary back. YOU'RE ALL BIPOLAR
I was talking more about managing to drop melee into the new amazing PM-centric PM Central channel
....hahahaha

I enjoyed the set nonetheless

e;
That's right lunchies, spread the word and fight against ROB culture, it's just been pushed on all poor Tinks by the PMDaTriarchy, but no more. #SJW #SmashJusticeWarriors
I don't think he has to deal with ROB if he just does all of his PM matches in melee, Kappa

Or he could just join the project m dating team

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is Dredd the best sci-fi movie since Robocop?

sources say "yeah, probably"

DOUBLE POST **** YOU

Robocop is a perfect movie. Don't try to dispute it. It is. You're wrong if you think otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

So I stopped.

Should have let them get used to it.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
DOUBLE POST **** YOU

Robocop is a perfect movie. Don't try to dispute it. It is. You're wrong if you think otherwise.
15616.png

How can Robocop be perfect if Dredd is more perfect thus making Dredd the definition of perfection?

D

Deleted member

image.jpg
So I might be developing arthritis in my hands

rip the dream

Last edited by a moderator:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I would play a PMDT (or pms) dating sim.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm about to MM my exam tomorrow and I haven't studied this match up this whole unit.

Gonna spend all night practicing this match up. Wish me luck.
I severely underestimated this one.

I think I'm gonna get bodied.

R.I.P my grade.

Top Bottom