• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I just had a thought about Smash 4 and it's DLC characters.

Is Ninty just banking on them giving a good amount of cash for the time being or do they actually want Smash 4 for live long via new content and fanservice?

Cause if there's another Smash after 4, depending on how many LC chars get in, that's gonna be a lot of salty people screaming around when they're absent come next Smash. And that's not including whoever they decide to randomly cut from the existing roster.

Though, if this is supposed to be the final Smash (Pfft, yeah right), then I guess that's a non-issue. Though, it does bring up an entirely different one.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
By randomly surfing the internet and having those oh wait I remember so and so moments.

Also Dear Santa.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Guys, how do you find drawing references
There's a site that is literally all references. I think I have it on my bookmarks at home and if we're lucky (lolz, no) I'll remember to post it here tomorrow (pfft, I'm gonna forget, who are we kidding?)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well I know a lot of other artists, so I either look at references they make or I just go to boorus and grab images from there.

Or google search if I need realistic stuff.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
2nd year. Most of the data structures so far have been relatively easy to do. The rotating of the tree is what's messing me up.

Next structure we do is a skip list and that sounds annoying lol. Why aren't these data structures built into Java if they're inportant and used a lot? :[
I'll take Data Structures and possibly C++ over the summer. The waifus dig guys that code, yes?

I forgot the name of the sites, but through just Google I found a couple of places for timed human poses.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Trying to get one specific "pose" though so not sure how to find one specific thing.
You need to get yourself a mannequin so you can position it however you want. That, or try your damnest to do it yourself in a mirror and then do the proper corrections using enough imagination and visualization and then do simple stick and shape figure bodies as a test sketch so you can modify it however you need to from that point onward. Don't rush into it, take your time to make sure you get it just how you want.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I just had a thought about Smash 4 and it's DLC characters.

Is Ninty just banking on them giving a good amount of cash for the time being or do they actually want Smash 4 for live long via new content and fanservice?

Cause if there's another Smash after 4, depending on how many LC chars get in, that's gonna be a lot of salty people screaming around when they're absent come next Smash. And that's not including whoever they decide to randomly cut from the existing roster.

Though, if this is supposed to be the final Smash (Pfft, yeah right), then I guess that's a non-issue. Though, it does bring up an entirely different one.
This is supposed to be the last one sakurai actually makes.

But we all know how that turns out each time.

(Plz save us based Miyamoto)

Helsong

Smash Ace
2nd year. Most of the data structures so far have been relatively easy to do. The rotating of the tree is what's messing me up.
Data Structures is a pretty important class. Not necessarily because of the structures themselves, but because you'll learn how to model data, which ends up making you a better programmer in the end.

Are you guys going to do Graph Theory? That was by far my favorite part of that class, although it's not on the regular curriculum for it in most universities.

@ Nixon Corral Nixon Corral I'm in agreement, the structure I've used more than anything else is a basic ArrayList. Queues and Stacks in a close second. Trees don't happen as often as the emphasis in the class might lead you to believe, but they help you understand a whole lot more.

@ Giygacoal Giygacoal C++ is where it's at. I love that language. Java and Python is the rage these days though, might have better luck with waifus there.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion

As much as I like Miyamoto, I don't think he knows more about making fighting games. He might focus on making better physics as part of improving the feel of the game and interesting new modes but everything else would be some nebulous definition of what is fun which doesn't necessarily mean fast-paced action.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

As much as he whined like a baby throughout the whole process of making the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did quit Smash this time. Then again, he did do the whole "AND THIS TIME, I MEEEEEAN IIIIIIT!!" shtick, so it probably ain't his last. I'd like it to be, but eh.

I do not want a Miyamoto made Smash, though. I'll avoid that **** like the plague. >>

CORY

wut
BRoomer
You need to get yourself a mannequin so you can position it however you want. That, or try your damnest to do it yourself in a mirror and then do the proper corrections using enough imagination and visualization and then do simple stick and shape figure bodies as a test sketch so you can modify it however you need to from that point onward. Don't rush into it, take your time to make sure you get it just how you want.
This, a lot. I do this so much. It's also made me much more aware of my own body and positioning, because of it.

This is the only example I have on my phone currently, but this is kind of stuff I spend most of my time doing. Just straight figure drawing.

Attachments

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
How many of you are jelly after seeing cory's drawings, including myself?

Why does drawing exist, it only makes me suffer.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
As much as he whined like a baby throughout the whole process of making the game, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did quit Smash this time. Then again, he did do the whole "AND THIS TIME, I MEEEEEAN IIIIIIT!!" shtick, so it probably ain't his last. I'd like it to be, but eh.

I do not want a Miyamoto made Smash, though. I'll avoid that **** like the plague. >>
The thing is though Sakurai never wants to make another one but Nintendo just announces one and ask him to make it. He wants to stop with it but since Nintendo goes and announces another game he feels obligated to do it because it's his series and he doesn't trust anyone else with it I think. Probably feels like anyone else would just mess it up

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer

Just gotta go grind out that tech skill in the lab, bruh.

Aka, spend lunch breaks drawing people at theall (and/or stuff out of your head...)

My poor sketchpads have been math pads, lately, though. Rip.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Is that your design for "literally captain falcon"
that to me? If so, no. I have a much more falcon esque design that's fleshed out better. That's me crapping ideas for " jack of all trades". Slight disjoint, utility reflector, sex kick, yadda yadda... How'd you get falcon from that stuff?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
@ Helsong Helsong I don't think we have Graph Theory in this class but I know we'll be covering graphs at least. I'm taking an intro to C++ class right now and the language just makes me mad compared to java, lol. So used to being able to make functions as soon as I need them without having to declare them at the beginning of the file <_<. Also, when would you use a class over a struct? They seem nearly identical.

on a related note, I just saw this joke

Why do Java developers wear glasses?
Because they can't C#.

Helsong

Smash Ace
@ Helsong Helsong I don't think we have Graph Theory in this class but I know we'll be covering graphs at least. I'm taking an intro to C++ class right now and the language just makes me mad compared to java, lol. So used to being able to make functions as soon as I need them without having to declare them at the beginning of the file <_<. Also, when would you use a class over a struct? They seem nearly identical.

on a related note, I just saw this joke

Why do Java developers wear glasses?
Because they can't C#.
Java tends to be a ram hog in larger applications, so you'll see C++ used a lot for games, as an example. Having that extra control over memory is great, plus Java tends to make new objects when you reference them in a certain way, which C/C++ does not, which adds to the memory efficiency. Any other programmer should correct me, because I could be wrong.

Structs are in C++ because they were in C. Learning C helped me out a lot, but your mileage may vary. The main difference between structs and classes in C++ is that structs have public members as default, and classes have private members as default. But both can have public and private members, and both utilize inheritance, and both can have member functions. At least, that's what I can remember. Been a while since I worked with C++, most of my time now is spent with Java and C.

Typically, I just use structs for any data structures, but it's up to you.

Also, that joke. Its even funnier when you realize how much the syntax in Java and C# are similar, but you can say that for any language based off of C(including Java).

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
that to me? If so, no. I have a much more falcon esque design that's fleshed out better. That's me crapping ideas for " jack of all trades". Slight disjoint, utility reflector, sex kick, yadda yadda... How'd you get falcon from that stuff?
I couldn't read the grainy picture, I just remember seeing you post a similar character design that was basically captain falcon.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I couldn't read the grainy picture, I just remember seeing you post a similar character design that was basically captain falcon.
Makes sense. I have oodles of designs, tbh. Most of them "look" like that because all I need to convey basicovement is the figure.

That figure's actually a bit bulkier than I intended originally, but the basic movements on it are good enough for a basic slop job.more proof of concept than anything else.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Is it bad to use arraylists when I don't necessarily need to? Is performance lost negligible?

I ask because I like to use them to make coding easier since they automatically resize.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Is it bad to use arraylists when I don't necessarily need to? Is performance lost negligible?

I ask because I like to use them to make coding easier since they automatically resize.
I'm no Java expert, but: Depends on what you're trying to do? ArrayLists are fine when you use them in place of Arrays, for the most part. Dynamic resizing is good. This resizing means that inserting into an ArrayList can be slower than inserting into a regular Array, but it's largely negligible. However, you can't use primitive types in an ArrayList, so you'll end up using the wrapper classes instead (Integer instead of int, for example). You can use both objects and primitive types in regular Arrays.

Helsong's CompSci Corner Social Thread.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

Made me wish I continued with drawing when I was young instead of for fun.

If not Miyamoto then who?

The thing is though Sakurai never wants to make another one but Nintendo just announces one and ask him to make it. He wants to stop with it but since Nintendo goes announces another game he feels obligated to do it because it's his series and he doesn't trust anyone else with it I think. Probably feels like anyone else would just mess it up
The realist truth. Also this

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
mannnnnn i got the splay tree rotating stuff properly but the rotated node isn't actually taking effect in the tree -_-

looking at the rotated node in debug the elements and such are all correct but the node isn't being replaced in the tree for some reason

CORY

wut
BRoomer
@ CORY CORY i had no idea you draw stuff lets be artist pals
OK : D I haven't done much lately, at least outside of figure drawings like that. School plus trying to finish 3dmaneuvering props in time for akon, along with my side project (what all the figure drawings are for) doesn't leave too much extra time.

In other news: this is why I remain ever mediocre at smash : p all my spare time for practice tends to fall away : /
Made me wish I continued with drawing when I was young instead of for fun.
well, I pretty much just do stuff for fun /hobby, myself. It's just about how much spare time you have and what you prioritize. Nothing wrong with putting other things ahead of it.

Helsong

Smash Ace
mannnnnn i got the splay tree rotating stuff properly but the rotated node isn't actually taking effect in the tree -_-

looking at the rotated node in debug the elements and such are all correct but the node isn't being replaced in the tree for some reason
Dumb Question #1: Are you actually looking at the right tree, and not making changes in some sort of duplicate?
Dumb Question #2: Did you make sure to update all the pointers properly?
Dumb Question #3: Is your algorithm actually replacing something?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Trying to get one specific "pose" though so not sure how to find one specific thing.
BrawlBox's model viewer (which has a good camera) kind of works too, though it would allow you to bend people in ways they shouldn't be able to bend, and you'd have to use Smash models.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Helsong Makes Titles for PMS Social Thread.

Thanks for explaining, we had to shuffle a card of decks in a lab, and I thought that a solution using ArrayLists made more sense then their's. My teacher was talking about efficiency, but I wasn't sure if it was that big of a difference. Apparently their's is more random or something though. http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-compscia-elevens-lab-student-guide.pdf
The shuffle algorithm is named after whoever made it, but they weren't credited.

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
it works if i directly set the root. root is a global variable of the SplayTree object. doing something like root = rotateRight(root); affects the tree just fine.

my splay function takes in a node. doing something like node = rotateRight(node); does not affect the tree

my rotateRight method:
Code:
private SplayNode<E> rotateRight(SplayNode node) {
     SplayNode tmp = node.getLeft();
     node.setLeft(tmp.getRight());
     tmp.setRight(node);
     node.setParent(tmp);
     return tmp;
   }
The returned node from rotateRight is exactly what i need to set the passed in node to

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Made me wish I continued with drawing when I was young instead of for fun
I've drawn for fun for ~13 years now and all I have to show for it are countless doodles of eyes and unbelievably ugly men on every frigging page of every notebook and school book with the exception of maths. Every time I see someone show their actually good drawings I get jealous and wish I could do the same and draw "for realz" for about 10 mins but then realize that it'd take work and dedication and give it up.

The moral of the story naturally being: give up before trying, it'll save you the effort and lets you waste your time in more useless ways.

But really, I'd say it's never too late

Also that feel when you try to escape reality to the internet but the social thread is filled with people that actually know what to do with their lives. ;_;

Last edited:
Top Bottom