• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I thought that was the whole reason we played Smash, to see who can move their sticks better!
I have enough confidence in humanity that the next post will be a joke about di-

What do you know, didn't even finish typing.
----
What have I done in the name of efficiency? Have I no shame?
public boolean lessBy10(int a, int b, int c) {
return a-b <= 10 || b-a <=10 ||
b-c <= 10 || c-b<=10
|| a-c <= 10||c-a<=10;
}

public boolean lessBy10(int a, int b, int c) {
return a-b <= -10 || b-a <= -10 ||
b-c <= -10 || c-b<=-10
|| a-c <= -10||c-a<= -10;
}

Human readable? Not on my watch!
I'll never be able to Python.
----
Harmony of a Hunter is great, along with Harmony of Heroes. When do we get Harmony of Hyrule though?

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Omfg my bud Jace is a homie, literally went and got me my Jim Joons

Then we went to another friend's house where we watched a movie with him and his gf who I met for the first time, she's really cool. I didn't really know the friend whose house it was at that much so I'm glad we had a experience that got us closer together because he's a cool dude. :-)

Lizalfos

Smash Master
What when do else and else if NEED to be used in Java conditionals? So far I've gotten away with stuff like this (I intentionally made it without else so that I could see if I needed it.)
Code:
public int maxMod5(int a, int b) {
  if (a%5==b%5)
  {
  if(a<b)
  return a;
  if(b<a)
  return b;
  return 0;
  }
  if (a<b)
  return b;
  return a;
}
Does else just help people read your conditionals?

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Omfg my bud Jace is a homie, literally went and got me my Jim Joons

Then we went to another friend's house where we watched a movie with him and his gf who I met for the first time, she's really cool. I didn't really know the friend whose house it was at that much so I'm glad we had a experience that got us closer together because he's a cool dude. :-)
Give him a kiss already you flirt
What when do else and else if NEED to be used in Java conditionals? So far I've gotten away with stuff like this (I intentionally made it without else so that I could see if I needed it.
if (a%5==b%5)
{
if(a<b)
return a;
if(b<a)
return b;
return 0;
}
if (a<b)
return b;
return a;
}
I have no idea what I'm looking at, but you should put code in a code tag, not a spoiler tag.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
@ Saxophoneoftime Saxophoneoftime , there was a reason. That reason is that all cats are evil. Now every other weekend I eat food that comes from a kitchen that smells like cat poop, and I go up stairs that smell like cat poop. Cuteness can't overcome the sheer poop-smell factor.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
What when do else and else if NEED to be used in Java conditionals? So far I've gotten away with stuff like this (I intentionally made it without else so that I could see if I needed it.)
Code:
  if (a%5==b%5)
  {
  if(a<b)
  return a;
  if(b<a)
  return b;
  return 0;
  }
  if (a<b)
  return b;
  return a;
}
Yeah pretty much, generally looks better and is considered good practice to not have return statements everywhere. Sometimes it's easier though.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
@ Saxophoneoftime Saxophoneoftime , there was a reason. That reason is that all cats are evil. Now every other weekend I eat food that comes from a kitchen that smells like cat poop, and I go up stairs that smell like cat poop. Cuteness can't overcome the sheer poop-smell factor.
They do smell up the place. One of the cats I grew up with, who was also my middle name, was the coolest cat ever though. He was like a chill dude who happened to be a cat. It all depends on the actual Cat or Dog itself, just like people: most are noobs except for a few awesome ones that you see save people's lives (both Cats and Dogs).

Also I bought some Chinese food and my family didn't want any, and normally I'd finish off left-overs in a couple days but MAN; Chinese food after a while just tastes like pure sugar. Indian food is definitely my favorite because it always tastes amazing and not just sugary. And good salads. Both are somewhat expensive, so I'm usually eating this http://i.minus.com/jbaVLJ5sVIgqN4.jpg

Also I printed out a small sized Melee disc image, now I just need to cut it out and find a way to make it into a pendent to wear as a necklace (so people know I play Smash when they play Smash so we can talk about Smash until we meet up and Smash it out Smasher to Smasher)

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Code:
  if (a%5==b%5)
  {
  if(a<b)
  return a;
  if(b<a)
  return b;
  return 0;
  }
  if (a<b)
  return b;
  return a;
}
Else is just short for if(!(previous condition)).
It also prevents possible errors stemming from human error when you have more complicated tests.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Imo cats are great off you're a cat person and dogs are great if you're a dog person. What I mean by that is that cats usually behave in such a way and dogs behave in a very different way, and a person's preference is based on how well these things click into their own personality. Dogs are great for people that want to be active, though dogs can be gentle too. It's just an introverted vs extroverted dichotomy, but it meshes with your learned behavior of preferring one over the other. So what you grow up with determined some of it too. And then there's probably some sexual pressure too. I've been goaded and derided plenty of times for preferring felines as a male.

For some reason everyone expects me to even care about masculinity, if which I have no personal attachment.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"So because the animations are the same it's apparently just the same thing?"

yes, when something isn't made from scratch that means it's not made from scratch, that is how that works, poster of bad forum

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Wait holy **** I thought that article was a troll, lmaoooo

Dark Pit warrants being a different char because the visually similar side-b uses a different weapon

I was waiting for his reasoning on his inclusion for a month now, but I wouldn't have thought it would have been this genius kappa

Sakurai may have some interesting and creative ideas, but it's been a while since I've lost my respect for him, and this certainly doesn't help, loool

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Imo cats are great off you're a cat person and dogs are great if you're a dog person. What I mean by that is that cats usually behave in such a way and dogs behave in a very different way, and a person's preference is based on how well these things click into their own personality. Dogs are great for people that want to be active, though dogs can be gentle too. It's just an introverted vs extroverted dichotomy, but it meshes with your learned behavior of preferring one over the other. So what you grow up with determined some of it too. And then there's probably some sexual pressure too. I've been goaded and derided plenty of times for preferring felines as a male.

For some reason everyone expects me to even care about masculinity, if which I have no personal attachment.
I have so much juvenescent introverted sexual pressure I bought 2 cats n a half.

I actually have 0 pets atm after our family's cat went missing, she was an outdoor cat for years but we have no clue what happened as she didn't come back one day. The sad parts is when you open a can of tuna, only for her to not normally come running in the kitchen meowing like crazy, and then just having to drain the juice in the sink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnST2XHV1uU

I'd like (and most people would) having a dog but it's entirely the part of having to be actively caring for them that I don't have time or money to give them. With cats though, as soon as you let them outside a couple times they love it and spend half of their time out there.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Bleh, me making big posts on Smash.
you seem pretty mad about sakurai "lying" but have you considered the possibility that they recreated animations that were similar to brawl's for the sake of solidarity ('cause you know, "smash fan" does not necessarily translate to "melee fan")

I know everyone likes to pick apart every little thing he says to try and make him about to be a monster that was single-handedly responsible for Ruining Smash Forever but jeez calm the heck down

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
If you're complaining about what's already happened, something you won't go out of your way to change like modders would... You're childish. Not just a scrub.
Grow up.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
you seem pretty mad about sakurai "lying" but have you considered the possibility that they recreated animations that were similar to brawl's for the sake of solidarity ('cause you know, "smash fan" does not necessarily translate to "melee fan")

I know everyone likes to pick apart every little thing he says to try and make him about to be a monster that was single-handedly responsible for Ruining Smash Forever but jeez calm the heck down
I'm not upset about Sakurai saying he resigned characters completely, or whatever the quote was. I'm sure the quote lost/gained meaning in translation. I'm annoyed at people taking that to mean that they literally rebuild every character from scratch, or that every character, returning or new, would take the same amount of effort.

As for animations, I just posted on NeoGaf about that too:
Considering how liberal they are with changing up animations (See: Mario's Back air animation from Melee to Brawl/Smash 4), there's no way they're making animations frame-perfect compared to the Brawl versions for the hell of it vs. just porting them.
And I'm not sure where you're getting any "calm the heck down" or "ruining smash forever" from, other than to try and make my post appear more angry than it actually was.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Sakurai said:
There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch.

This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”
I don't think Sakurai understands that his analogy does not work for this kind of game.

In a game where a lot of people care about character representation the characters are the main courses.

Those clone characters are not the dessert dishes, they are variations of the same main dish that is already on the table. And in this case, not very different.

Project M roy and marth for example.
Marth would be Barbecue Chicken, and Roy would be Hot wings. This has a significant difference in flavors due to the mature or sweetness that barbecue sauce provides, while Hot sauce/Wing sauce provides a powerful kick (if you got a REAL BRAND)

Now Marth and Lucina however, this is closer to using two different flavors of Barbecue sauce. Sweet baby rays as opposed to hunt's. Essentially the same thing, but a different flavor for different people.

This isn't a bad thing in a sense, but for this context where the goal of this "Food showing" is to show off as many appealing dishes. People will not be elated to see two different flavors of the same exact dish.

The only thing that constitute as desserts in this analogy would be the custom movesets.

Bleck

Smash Master
I'm not upset about Sakurai saying he resigned characters completely, or whatever the quote was. I'm sure the quote lost/gained meaning in translation. I'm annoyed at people taking that to mean that they literally rebuild every character from scratch, or that every character, returning or new, would take the same amount of effort.
iirc the quote was actually translated as "even the veteran characters are remade from scratch"

the problem isn't so much that the meaning is lost in translation so much as it's not entirely clear what that means (i.e it's not necessarily true that it even refers to animations), and people have gone out of their way to interpret it in such a way as to vilify Sakurai as often as possible - you yourself acknowledge the idea that "sakurai is trying to claim that the animations were remade" via the wording of your post, despite this essentially being a fabrication born of butthurt and vagueries

if you're not angry about it, then why are you going out of your way to argue about it in a big effort post about something that nobody is really even sure of in the first place? sounds like a big waste of time to me

edit: also to answer your questions about cut characters, I think Lucas was cut because Mother 3 was a desperately unpopular game, and Ness stayed because of the recent surge of interest in Earthbound because of its VC rerelease - and Wolf, were I to guess, was cut because it's literally been almost a decade since he appeared in a new game

I think they would have cut Falco, too, if he wasn't such a popular staple of competitive Smash - I also think that's why they brought back Dr. Mario and didn't really change much of his moveset; because he's a popular high tier character in Melee

edit 2: maybe Sakurai wouldn't have been okay with bareboneclones if the Smash community didn't whine about how Melee was the pinnacle of game design and he should just do more of that for over a decade, I dunno~

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
because that is how discussion works, you describe why a thing was or wasn't the case with evidence

quit gettin' mad about other people possibly but not really gettin' mad

Bleck

Smash Master
canon quit gettin' mad about me maybe but not really being mad about shadic possibly but possibly not being mad

it's making me mad

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Also I bought some Chinese food and my family didn't want any, and normally I'd finish off left-overs in a couple days but MAN; Chinese food after a while just tastes like pure sugar. Indian food is definitely my favorite because it always tastes amazing and not just sugary. And good salads. Both are somewhat expensive, so I'm usually eating this http://i.minus.com/jbaVLJ5sVIgqN4.jpg
"American" Chinese Food is usually meant to have sweet + thick sauces. Such a far cry from the authentic versions :( Blame the people around you with an overall palate and craving for sweet sauce put onto just about everything

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Why do we even care what sakurai thinks. The guy designs party games for a living.

I have so much juvenescent introverted sexual pressure I bought 2 cats n a half.

I actually have 0 pets atm after our family's cat went missing, she was an outdoor cat for years but we have no clue what happened as she didn't come back one day. The sad parts is when you open a can of tuna, only for her to not normally come running in the kitchen meowing like crazy, and then just having to drain the juice in the sink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnST2XHV1uU

I'd like (and most people would) having a dog but it's entirely the part of having to be actively caring for them that I don't have time or money to give them. With cats though, as soon as you let them outside a couple times they love it and spend half of their time out there.
*writes anguished freudian gothic poetry*

Cats run away to die. That's what mine did. The PoS trailerpark I'm living in atm doesn't allow pets, so I can't get another.

Bleck

Smash Master
I can tell when I'm playing against a PM Dedede player in For Glory when they keep trying to cancel UP B to grab the ledge.

Bleck

Smash Master
It no longer sweetspots the ledge on the descent, and you can no longer cancel it. I keep seeing people trying to recover in such a way that would have been successful were they playing Project M and subsequently losing a stock.

In other news, YESSSSS

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Oh Sakurai. The only children involved in this tiff are the Samurai defense force members spamming nice memes like "rekt" and "shots fired."

Reasonable people never got mad at the clones for "taking the slots of" more deserving characters. Reasonable people got mad because the clones we got were questionable. Dr. Mario's a Melee vet and represents a fairly significant Mario spin-off, so I'll let him slide. Lucina and Dark Pit? Did FE and KI need four and three representatives respectively?

Clones that would have been better inclusions: Lucas, Wolf, Alph, Dark Samus, Dixie, Ms. Pac-Man, Proto Man, Shadow, Impa, Black Shadow, Mr. L, Daisy, Donkey Kong Jr.; hell, I'd take Feirce Deity Link, Galacta Knight, and Pichu clones over what we got.

It continues to amaze me how incapable the Smash fanbase is of understanding and dealing with critical views.

Bleck

Smash Master
Clones that would have been better inclusions:
ahem

I'm not entirely sure why Lucas was cut. I miss him.

I'm not sure why they cut Wolf, either.

We got Alph as an alt costume, which is all we could have reasonably hoped for.

Dark Samus
Dark Samus is actually different enough as a character that being a straight up clone of Samus would have been poorly received.

See above, but replace Samus with Diddy Kong (or whoever you assumed she'd be a clone of).

Ms. Pac-Man
Namco is not exactly fond of Ms. Pac-Man.

Proto Man
It seems unreasonable, to me, to expect any additional playable characters from 3rd party franchises. In this case, especially, Mega Man's attacks are almost all based on weapons he gets from Robot Masters - Proto Man would have either been an exceptionally lazy clone with all of the same attacks, or would have had to be completely different (which would have been cool since there are so many other Robot Masters for him to take from, but again, we should be happy with even getting Mega Man).

I can't believe you're mad about Dark Pit and then would have the audacity to suggest Shadow The Goddamn Hedgehog instead. Shadow The Hedgehog is the same collection of tired cliches that Dark Pit is, but without any of the contextual satire that made Dark Pit actually bearable.

Impa is really cool, but I think to make her a clone would have been an injustice.

Black Shadow
I would be okay with Black Shadow having Ganondorf's moveset, but I can understand why they keep Ganondorf the way he is.

Luigi was already a sort-of clone of Mario. This would be silly.

No.

Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong Jr. isn't real. You saw it in a dream.

Fierce Deity Link
We got Fierce Deity Link as an alternate costume.

Galacta Knight
"Smash 4: Now With Two Meta Knights"

Yeah, I'm sure that would have went over well with the Smash community.

Come on, now.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Tbf I can't imagine shadow playing anything like sonic. Shadow may be edgy to the extreme x100, but he's also defined to be very different from sonic.

He'd be a snake clone

Top Bottom