• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
Well then I need you to drop some knowledge on me because that is killing me in smash. My neutral game is nonexistent it feels like. How do I even begin working on that?
Doing well in the neutral game requires a great deal of understanding about your character's options, the options of your opponent's character, how said options interact with each other in the Match Up (spacing, zoning, punish game, etc), and knowing the habits and tendencies of your opponent, as well as noticing your own habits and adapting accordingly.

Knowing characters' options and how they interact in the MU can be learned by looking at frame data and/or watching gameplay videos where different players use specific moves and trying to understand why they worked (people may have MU analyses in the character forums if you have trouble figuring it out yourself). And these things can be practiced in training mode and friendlies. But adapting to the habits of not only your opponent but yourself as well is probably the most challenging part and is something that you can't develop overnight. It requires you to actively think about every decision you do and it requires you to have confidence in your decision making and confidence in yourself, generally. I can't really teach this well, but I can link you to a very good guide that can teach you a lot about noticing player's habits and what to do about them.

You have to make an account on the website to view the guide, but I really think it's worth making the account. When I had started competitive Smash as a Brawl player, this guide opened my eyes to exactly how I'm supposed to get better at playing Smash and helped pave the way for my improvement and how I'm supposed to keep on improving.

http://ssbfc.com/discussion--guide-learning-to-mindgame-t-22784.html

It's oriented towards Brawl, but the same concepts applying to not only Melee and P:M, but to nearly all fighting games.

I hope that helps somewhat. Sorry if my answer is too broad. I can't really give a precise and specific answer to your question.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
ask me how i feel about zelda lmao
ggs
You have the Zelda bait down, but spacing needs work. Luckily she can't act out of her teleport. So she's mostly stuck on the ground.

It's mostly M2's teleport that ruins things. If Zelda can't predict, she can't punish. She's too slow and dainty for standard rushes.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
You have the Zelda bait down, but spacing needs work. Luckily she can't act out of her teleport. So she's mostly stuck on the ground.

It's mostly M2's teleport that ruins things. If Zelda can't predict, she can't punish. She's too slow and dainty for standard rushes.
eh my main gripe is that i'm too bad at the punish game to get anything out of when i manage a hit before i'm naired or neutral b'd out of my string
then the matchup turns into a teleport-fest of getting tiny hits in because nobody can punish or land grabs which equates to not a lot of effort put into the wifi matches haha
but that's my problem and delay is a thing (/me johns hard)

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
double post but YO @ itsaxelol itsaxelol LETS GO I WANNA SMACK SOME KONG <3
i just played a million mewtwo dittos, which were fun for like 3 games and then i hated them, so i wont use mewtwo at all. add me new code 1246 8393 4478

fun games strider but we shouldve finished the last sonic/dk set

astra its not letting me join your room. im gonna host

Last edited:

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
i just played a million mewtwo dittos, which were fun for like 3 games and then i hated them, so i wont use mewtwo at all. add me new code 1246 8393 4478

astra its not letting me join your room. im gonna host
i feel that
mewtwo dittos are the wonkiest thing in smash ahahaha

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider

Next time for sure! Hands started spazzing from the intense mirrors (that was a whole lot of float cancelling!!).

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
M2 would be a lot less wonky if he had tele nerfed to Zelda status. :C

Anyone up for a few matches? I need to work on the other Princesses.

Rags

Smash Ace
Them disconnects though... Haha. GGs man, you're making me work WAY too hard for these stocks, sir!

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Them disconnects though... Haha. GGs man, you're making me work WAY too hard for these stocks, sir!
Good games! I wonder what in the world was causing those irritating disconnections. I'll have to play you again sometime.

Anyone up for 2v2 or 1v1?
I will be, assuming Rags is finished.

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
Good games! I wonder what in the world was causing those irritating disconnections. I'll have to play you again sometime.

It's the router I think. Did it last night, and I'm gonna have to look into it now...

this is why I hate comcast... -____-

Top Bottom