• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Codex Re-Build [PREVIEW] - In 3.6 Works Edition [JULY 5th UPDATE]

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!
change the title

please

it bugs me so much

also WORK ON SUNSHINE PEACH PLEASE
Once I get peach done tonight and release the Classic and Paluine costumes I shalls change the title~ (I'm on the last costume for peach in case you wonder~)

Hey Codex, found this. I'm not sure if it will help.
That, helps so much! You're a life saver for this! Time to work on it now I've done my Daisy costume edit!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Once I get peach done tonight and release the Classic and Paluine costumes I shalls change the title~ (I'm on the last costume for peach in case you wonder~)
You may want to keep in mind that the majority of Peach's moves have their hurtboxes connected to her dress, and her hitboxes in some places, too. Having skins that remove her dress or anything of that sort are going to be a bit problematic, and also look a bit ugly in terms of animations.

ALSO IS THE LAST COSTUME SUNSHINE PEACHHH?!?!???????????????????????????????????????

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
No problem! I hope it goes well!

That's a very good question because I was actually thinking on this earlier funny enough, and based on what I know from a few older builds that were released in the past, we all possible would need to start all over because 3.5 will have major changes with additional game modes like (all stars battle mode), edits, changes to the roster and the main reason I believe will be the code overall will be fresh.

In that situation we have to wait for the stage expansion to be updated for 3.5, same with CBliss because of the new character from my understanding.

I'm just speculating though haha so I could be completely wrong, back with 3.0 it was a huge leap from it's previous version and 3.5 might just be overall gameplay changes plus a possible new addition so it wouldn't be too difficult to work with for the build.

Ohhh if you mean would I need to re-do cotumes and CSP's and whatnot, and by the time that's out my build will have all the resources ready to implement like costumes and character CSPs etc, so re-implementing them shouldn't be a problem (I hope!)

^ This in regards to textures and costumes, unless I'm using a mod that affects a character's move etc, everything should be A-okay I belive as the textures aren't affected.

:peach: UPDATE:

Also done my second costume for this peachy night:

:
I remember people talking about the idea of a themed Pauline costume for Peach and so led to my attempt to capture that "essence" of Pauline whilst maintaining Peaches appearance, I hope people like what I did with this.
Facial details was pretty tricky yet simple once I got it all down on paper, used a red lipstick and a lighter purple for the eyes, as well as removing the crown and frills around her neck.
I couldn't really do much in terms of editing the skirt because of the way peach moves, however I did lower the skirt enough so you can see the shoes, to match up with the NES Donkey Kong style Pauline.

Now to answer two questions I have a feeling people might ask:

1. Why not just do a plain red dress? I actually did but the end result was her looking exactly like her red costume, so I added in the black because of her black shoes, I think it came out nicely but I want to hear from everyone on this!

2. How about rips at the end of her skirt? Like the one in the picture? I did originally do that but it came out really ugly, specially if I'm just editing the texture and not the 3D model itself (Basically it looks so much better if I were to edit the rips on the dress on the model than the texture, hard to explain but the outlines on the empty parts will show if I did.)
Excellent

MagicManNo9

You may want to keep in mind that the majority of Peach's moves have their hurtboxes connected to her dress, and her hitboxes in some places, too. Having skins that remove her dress or anything of that sort are going to be a bit problematic, and also look a bit ugly in terms of animations.

ALSO IS THE LAST COSTUME SUNSHINE PEACHHH?!?!???????????????????????????????????????

Excellent
Glad you like it!

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl

Glad you like it!
OH GOD SO GOOD BUT I CANT SEE THE PONYTAIL SO IDK ALSO THE CSP HAS TO HAVE SUNSHINE PEACH UMBRELLA

also can you make the dress a little more like simpleish instead of brawlish

MagicManNo9

OH GOD SO GOOD BUT I CANT SEE THE PONYTAIL SO IDK ALSO THE CSP HAS TO HAVE SUNSHINE PEACH UMBRELLA

also can you make the dress a little more like simpleish instead of brawlish

Ohhhh, I need to do the Umbrella, sadly I actually fully made all of the CSP's which took about an hour of pick and pixing, though I'll make one with an umbrella on a later day when I can! As for the costume I went with a brawlish style to match up with everything else, but I'll work on a cleaner version later on as I got lots of things to clean up on. (That and it's 3am over here so I'm going to clock out for the night)

:peach: Peach:

Also here are the DL links for Nes and Pauline peach:

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I got an idea for a DK costume, Funky Kong cosplay. Or, in other words, just take the best parts of the 3 or so Funky Kong skins, combine them together, and give it DK's fur color so it can still count as DK since aside from different choice in clothing and skin color, they look nearly identical.

Also, no offence, but that Peach CSP looks really lifeless and doesn't have much personality showing. It's not exactly bad but all the other CSPs look better than Peach. But that's just my opinion. Others may disagree.

Last edited:

EthralSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJ_Ethral
3DS FC
4768-7597-3482
Ohoho, first off thank you for the support! Also glorious avatar if I might add! Secondly I was actually going to use that SJS ZSS version! Because the one SJS made is fantastic! I'm actually working on a CSP and BP just for ZZS funny enough so thank you so much! Also hearing that people might use this at a tourney gets me pumped up to work on it harder!
Good! And thanks I like your avatar as well haha. May I ask what you use for character model editing? I wanted to try it a bit myself

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Oh, uh...

Pauline's skin doesn't have Peach's crown, and her forward aerial is where she takes off her crown and swings it. You may want to add in the crown in the actual build, or fix it altogether. Maybe have two versions? I dunno, but the crown probably needs to come back.

MagicManNo9

Good! And thanks I like your avatar as well haha. May I ask what you use for character model editing? I wanted to try it a bit myself
Ohh, I use 3DS max 2015 for editing 3D models, though I hear you can use Maya as well for stage creation (I've yet to try my hand at stage creation so that'll be fun) there's a lot to learn with modeling and can be very hard but once you get the hang of it it's really worth the time and effort I say! (I think if you look back on Theytah's twitch stream you'll get good tips and advice from his videos because he does some tutorials) hope that helps and all the best with it!

Oh, uh...

Pauline's skin doesn't have Peach's crown, and her forward aerial is where she takes off her crown and swings it. You may want to add in the crown in the actual build, or fix it altogether. Maybe have two versions? I dunno, but the crown probably needs to come back.
Yeah... I realised that when I woke up this morning haha, I shall make a version 2 in any case later today with the crown annnnnd...

Why not get rid of the puffs in her arms to make her feel more like an alternative costume?
...Can make a version without the puffs now that I solved the issue thanks to Wander-VG!

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Ohhhh, I need to do the Umbrella, sadly I actually fully made all of the CSP's which took about an hour of pick and pixing, though I'll make one with an umbrella on a later day when I can! As for the costume I went with a brawlish style to match up with everything else, but I'll work on a cleaner version later on as I got lots of things to clean up on. (That and it's 3am over here so I'm going to clock out for the night)

Also here are the DL links for Nes and Pauline peach:

This is great. But, the Green Peach didnt change, and thats my least favorite one :p Can you possibly replace here with some sort of Minty Peach? Like this one?
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Bra...typeSearch=and&Subtype[]=Texture&Target=Peach

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Yo, I'm back again with another question. Does your Arena Ferox switch between flat and platform or is it static?

Cool Peach alts btw.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Chances are from Flat to Platforms. Because thats the way Arena Ferox is.
I know but to my knowledge, to make it change from flat to platforms, it requires you to put Ferox over Castle Siege... again, to my knowledge.

Codex said he took a custom spot and didn't replace Siege which is why I want to know.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I can't see it as well, but does the ponytail just branch out of her hair? You could just take the ponytail from Fire Peach and recolor the thingy to blue.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I know but to my knowledge, to make it change from flat to platforms, it requires you to put Ferox over Castle Siege... again, to my knowledge.

Codex said he took a custom spot and didn't replace Siege which is why I want to know.
He probably has the stage expansion on his build, allowing him to put more stages and not replace some of those in the original.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
He probably has the stage expansion on his build, allowing him to put more stages and not replace some of those in the original.
I also have the stage expansion but that wasn't my question.

I decided to replace Castle Siege since I don't really play it and I like Arena Ferox more anyways.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I also have the stage expansion but that wasn't my question.

I decided to replace Castle Siege since I don't really play it and I like Arena Ferox more anyways.
What. He kept Castle Siege and used the Stage Expansion to also add in Arena Ferox so now both stages can co-exist.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
What. He kept Castle Siege and used the Stage Expansion to also add in Arena Ferox so now both stages can co-exist.
He was asking if it was possible to have the stage change mid-match while it's being used over a stage expansion slot. He had brought up Castle Siege because that stage can change mid-match, which is what Arena Ferox goes over to change itself from flat to platformed mid-match.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
He was asking if it was possible to have the stage change mid-match while it's being used over a stage expansion slot. He had brought up Castle Siege because that stage can change mid-match, which is what Arena Ferox goes over to change itself from flat to platformed mid-match.
Ohhh. That makes sense. Im not exactly too sure on that, but it maybe possible with the use of the stage .rels. However Im no expert, so dont trust my words :p

Last edited:

EthralSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJ_Ethral
3DS FC
4768-7597-3482
Ohh, I use 3DS max 2015 for editing 3D models, though I hear you can use Maya as well for stage creation (I've yet to try my hand at stage creation so that'll be fun) there's a lot to learn with modeling and can be very hard but once you get the hang of it it's really worth the time and effort I say! (I think if you look back on Theytah's twitch stream you'll get good tips and advice from his videos because he does some tutorials) hope that helps and all the best with it!
Thanks! I'll take a look. Is blender any good? I saw it on the brawl vault. When you create characters to make CSPs Bps and CSIs you just pose them and screenshot right?

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Thanks! I'll take a look. Is blender any good? I saw it on the brawl vault. When you create characters to make CSPs Bps and CSIs you just pose them and screenshot right?
I'm currently making my own CSPs and it's a LOT more work than that. You have to go into photoshop/gim and do a lot with it. Add shadows, proper lighting, smudging, etc. Most of the stuff I suck at so I stole some CSPs from Codex :p

EthralSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJ_Ethral
3DS FC
4768-7597-3482
I'm currently making my own CSPs and it's a LOT more work than that. You have to go into photoshop/gim and do a lot with it. Add shadows, proper lighting, smudging, etc. Most of the stuff I suck at so I stole some CSPs from Codex :p
Lol wow I'm currently thinking about going through art school or something along those lines so maybe I should give it a go I'm decent at Animation and Rigging too

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
...Can make a version without the puffs now that I solved the issue thanks to Wander-VG!
Gasp! I can't wait to see it. Great job as always Codex. I actually have the Classic Peach on my Project M build.

Edit: Also, do you think you can add CSPs for the other colors of Yoshis just for optional? I love Sailor Yoshi and Boshi, but Orange is my favorite color and I can't live without Orange Yoshi... Wow. I ask for a lot, so thanks as usual Codex! Lastly I did a small thing...

I remember hearing about having to add a crown to Palutena Peach and seeing as of now it's just a recolor, shouldn't you have it more like this? Sorry, the order bugged me a bit and I just think it makes more sense like this UNLESS Pauline Peach is changed to have no puffs and a crown. If that's the case then...

Cheers!

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

This is great. But, the Green Peach didnt change, and thats my least favorite one :p Can you possibly replace here with some sort of Minty Peach? Like this one?
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Moderated=All&Reported=All&Wifi=0&Featured=All&Name=Minty Peach&ByUser=&Credit=&Info=&AudioSource=&MainType=Character&SubtypeSearch=and&Subtype[]=Texture&Target=Peach
Ahhh, I tried the minty peach and didn't like the costume much, I'll do something about the green consume though.

Yo, I'm back again with another question. Does your Arena Ferox switch between flat and platform or is it static?

Cool Peach alts btw.
Thanks! And I just used the platform version, when I get to using the ASL I plan to use the shifting stage and the flat one for the player to pick between.

I can't see it as well, but does the ponytail just branch out of her hair? You could just take the ponytail from Fire Peach and recolor the thingy to blue.

It sorta does, it's most close to the image you provided if that helps.

really liking them CSP's, especially the Peach ones. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the support! Glad you're liking the CSP's!

^ This, look into the .rel converter to help with the issue, I have a feeling it may be that the wrong .rel is being used.

I hear blender is good, recommended if you can't get ahold of 3DS Max, the only reason I'm using 3DS Max is because I was taught via a tutorial stream with it so I got use to it and my student account at the time before I graduated allowed me to get a copy for free~

As for the CSP's I used Brawlbox to pose them, there's a specific way to do this to keep the CSP pose saved, first off make sure to create a new animation:

And when you do make the new animation, make sure you click on the animation (In the picture NewCHR is the animation name I'm using) be sure to click on that before posing and then start posing, otherwise it won't work and you'll lose a lot of time (I should know, I've done it so many times it's stuck to me now haha)

Hope that helps! As for the CSP editing, I highly recommend Taiko's guide:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66456.0

His guide has helped so much when I first started out creating CSP's.

Yup! It takes me roughly 4 hours overall to pick out costumes for a character, working on CSP + posing, creating the different versions and the editing in photoshop and such, it's well worth it but it requires a lot of patience. (But again fun and worth it once you succeed!)

Lol wow I'm currently thinking about going through art school or something along those lines so maybe I should give it a go I'm decent at Animation and Rigging too
I did 3 years at university on a range of different modules in computing from animation, sound editing, modeling, gaming , programming and so much more if that helps, though I did it mainly to get a really good job in the future, however that said it did help a lot in understanding how modding in smash works though (Knowing my past self a few years back I would've given up on the build by now) if you're good with animation and rigging I say give it a shot! It's pretty fun at the end of the day!

Gasp! I can't wait to see it. Great job as always Codex. I actually have the Classic Peach on my Project M build.

Edit: Also, do you think you can add CSPs for the other colors of Yoshis just for optional? I love Sailor Yoshi and Boshi, but Orange is my favorite color and I can't live without Orange Yoshi... Wow. I ask for a lot, so thanks as usual Codex! Lastly I did a small thing...

I remember hearing about having to add a crown to Palutena Peach and seeing as of now it's just a recolor, shouldn't you have it more like this? Sorry, the order bugged me a bit and I just think it makes more sense like this UNLESS Pauline Peach is changed to have no puffs and a crown. If that's the case then...

Cheers!
I'll be adding optional packs for Yoshi, for the orange and purple! And I like your ordering of Peach more so I'll defiantly do that thanks!

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I was working on custom Charizard CSPs but mine turned out to be terrible, then I stumbled on your Charizard pics and thought they were amazing BUT, you didn't have CSPs of Minty zard, shiny Mega Y and shiny Mega X which broke my heart.

Indeed, even when I finished my CSPs and they looked bad, I was still happy with the way they turned out. Don't know why. I'm still learning how to make them but if ever, I can get mine to look as good as yours, I would be extremely happy.

Here's one of my CSPs. As you can tell, it's pretty meh. I used Hoboz pose since I thought it looked awesome and I added the text myself (which I do for ALL of my CSPs).

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

I was working on custom Charizard CSPs but mine turned out to be terrible, then I stumbled on your Charizard pics and thought they were amazing BUT, you didn't have CSPs of Minty zard, shiny Mega Y and shiny Mega X which broke my heart.

Indeed, even when I finished my CSPs and they looked bad, I was still happy with the way they turned out. Don't know why. I'm still learning how to make them but if ever, I can get mine to look as good as yours, I would be extremely happy.

Here's one of my CSPs. As you can tell, it's pretty meh. I used Hoboz pose since I thought it looked awesome and I added the text myself (which I do for ALL of my CSPs).
Lemme try to see if I can help you there with based on what I can see, for my case (And this is under the assumption if you haven't done this)

For me, when I take the screenshot I always do without the background, and I also take the largest possible screenshot like, I would use the whole screen to take the shot, so more detail is left on the final result.

Re-sizing the image I recommend actually using the re-size tool (Assuming you shrunk the image maybe?) like:

And re-size to the size you see fit, if you do what Taiko's guide says and wanted to add layers of additional extras like lighting and whatnot, I'd recommend doing that before re-sizing, if you do it like the image I shown you can get perfectly smooth edges, I hope that helps!

Also I used Paint.Net at times because it's like a small version of Photoshop, I use Photoshop for great detailed stuff, gotten to use to that myself so either way of doing it is fine I say!

I also say you can do the same with the Font/text, if you do it large then resize it down using the re-size tool you can keep the same quality of smoothness!

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Lemme try to see if I can help you there with based on what I can see, for my case (And this is under the assumption if you haven't done this)

For me, when I take the screenshot I always do without the background, and I also take the largest possible screenshot like, I would use the whole screen to take the shot, so more detail is left on the final result.

Re-sizing the image I recommend actually using the re-size tool (Assuming you shrunk the image maybe?) like:

And re-size to the size you see fit, if you do what Taiko's guide says and wanted to add layers of additional extras like lighting and whatnot, I'd recommend doing that before re-sizing, if you do it like the image I shown you can get perfectly smooth edges, I hope that helps!

Also I used Paint.Net at times because it's like a small version of Photoshop, I use Photoshop for great detailed stuff, gotten to use to that myself so either way of doing it is fine I say!

I also say you can do the same with the Font/text, if you do it large then resize it down using the re-size tool you can keep the same quality of smoothness!
I used the resizing tool and took the screencap with no background. The problem is, I don't exactly know how to add lighting on gimp so yeah...

Looking at my CSP again, it's not that bad, but I can see some of the things I have to fix/improve. I'll try working on some more CSPs later...

MagicManNo9

I used the resizing tool and took the screencap with no background. The problem is, I don't exactly know how to add lighting on gimp so yeah...

Looking at my CSP again, it's not that bad, but I can see some of the things I have to fix/improve. I'll try working on some more CSPs later...
Ohhhhh, using Gimp to resize, try and look into the resampling when you resize, you'll notice the difference by trying out the different samplers is my advice (Could be different, I've not used gimp for long time haha)

EthralSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
DJ_Ethral
3DS FC
4768-7597-3482
I hear blender is good, recommended if you can't get ahold of 3DS Max, the only reason I'm using 3DS Max is because I was taught via a tutorial stream with it so I got use to it and my student account at the time before I graduated allowed me to get a copy for free~

As for the CSP's I used Brawlbox to pose them, there's a specific way to do this to keep the CSP pose saved, first off make sure to create a new animation:

And when you do make the new animation, make sure you click on the animation (In the picture NewCHR is the animation name I'm using) be sure to click on that before posing and then start posing, otherwise it won't work and you'll lose a lot of time (I should know, I've done it so many times it's stuck to me now haha)

Hope that helps! As for the CSP editing, I highly recommend Taiko's guide:

His guide has helped so much when I first started out creating CSP's.

Yup! It takes me roughly 4 hours overall to pick out costumes for a character, working on CSP + posing, creating the different versions and the editing in photoshop and such, it's well worth it but it requires a lot of patience. (But again fun and worth it once you succeed!)

I did 3 years at university on a range of different modules in computing from animation, sound editing, modeling, gaming , programming and so much more if that helps, though I did it mainly to get a really good job in the future, however that said it did help a lot in understanding how modding in smash works though (Knowing my past self a few years back I would've given up on the build by now) if you're good with animation and rigging I say give it a shot! It's pretty fun at the end of the day!
Oh man haha thank you! I just got 3DS max with the student account thing. I already have Gimp so I'll give it a shot when I get home. As for the University thing I'm either going for Art stuff or I'm gonna do basic Programming and I live close to Nintendo's Canadian HQ so might look into jobs there or something. Idk though I will have to figure it out lol. Thanks for the help can't wait for the build to be done!

shadowcontroller

Smash Apprentice
@ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 (a little bit off topic of what you guys are talking about right now...) Do you the know the Harmony of heroes project? (http://www.harmonyofheroes.net/) It is still a W.I.P. but I think it has great (GREAT) potential... Maybe you could find some interesting songs for your pack when they release it :)

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
@ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 (a little bit off topic of what you guys are talking about right now...) Do you the Harmony of heroes project? (http://www.harmonyofheroes.net/) It's still a W.I.P. but I think it has great (GREAT) potential... Maybe you could find some interesting songs for your pack when they release it :)
Are the amazing people at OCRemix working on this? I didn't even know about it!!

Top Bottom