• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Codex Re-Build [PREVIEW] - In 3.6 Works Edition [JULY 5th UPDATE]

Infamousrapid

Smash Rookie
I picked Impa from Skyward sword because I felt it was fitting and it felt smooth, I will say however her model is up to the standard I wanted to, or rather you'll notice if you pause playing as Impa, the costume actually looks really good when fighting mind, so for now I'll see what people think on this idea (That and I might wait for a potential Skyward Sheik costume to be made or the Hyrule Warriors Impa or Sheik maybe)
That Impa looks pretty cool but i think that its out of place with the whole idea of having different versions of the same said character. Would there be any way you could probably incorporate Impa's color scheme and/or textures and maybe create an exclusive version of Sheik based off that.

I would like to see a Sheik that sort of would ressemble the Sheik like in this drawing.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...loz_skyward_sword_by_andsportsart-d5iqqun.png

Last edited:

BravoGangUS

Smash Rookie
That Impa looks pretty cool but i think that its out of place with the whole idea of having different versions of the same said character. Would there be any way you could probably incorporate Impa's color scheme and/or textures and maybe create an exclusive version of Sheik based off that.

I would like to see a Sheik that sort of would ressemble the Sheik like in this drawing.
Agreed.

Personally, I'd rather have the "costumes" just be different colors, outfits, or even differents model of the same character
Not really a fan of when a costume involves completely changing the character into someone else, like putting a Shadow model as an alt for Sonic

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

A busy man with a busy schedule these days!

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...loz_skyward_sword_by_andsportsart-d5iqqun.png
I thought so, I wasn't too happy with Impa so I was looking around for a Skyward Shiek of the sort that would, the image you provided does give me inspiration to make my own version so I'll give that a shot!

This sounds like a really good idea, let's see what Codex thinks.
I really like the idea, the costume design in that picture is perfect for what I imagined so I'm defiantly going to give that a try in creating.

Agreed.

Personally, I'd rather have the "costumes" just be different colors, outfits, or even differents model of the same character
Not really a fan of when a costume involves completely changing the character into someone else, like putting a Shadow model as an alt for Sonic
^ Agreed, this so much, I don't like the idea of adding a Shadow model as an alt for sonic, it feels really out of place (Hence why I felt Impa felt really out of place in my build, specially when it says Sheik in game) I don't mind certain costumes, like Dark Samus, Blood Falcon, Daisy(?) perhaps? But full character's like Shadow, Impa can be off putting to the final build.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Okay, here's one thing that bugs the hell out of me with every single pack ever created, and really hope you'll do. When people start adding a bunch of stages over old ones, the Stage Select Screen looks HIDEOUS, because nothing is organized. It's a huge blob of random stages. I would love it if you could edit the Stage Select Screen (check TheytahK's Mod School) and keep it organized. I'm not sure how you would like to organize it, but I recommend doing it by franchise or something of that sort.

Another thing I'd like to say, while I do have faith in you, may become a problem, is that most packs include a few ugly stages. I mean, I don't want to be rude, but I hate it when I go download a pack and start checking out the stages, and there's that one stage that has bad lighting, ugly textures, horrible placement, disgusting models, and so on. I really hope that you only use high-quality stages, and not ugly ones.

Something else I'd like to make sure is that the Stage Select Screen has consistency. I'm not a big fan of people who have the Stage Select Icon and Stage Select Previews be two different angles of the stage, as it ruins the consistency that Brawl has been keeping. If you do, however, include different Stage Select Icons and Previews, then PLEASE keep it consistent.

One last thing I'd like to add in is about the music. When you're adding in music to stages, please try to keep them consistent to the franchise! I hate it when I go into a Smash Bros. Stage (ie: Final Destination) and hear something from XenoBlade Chronicles. It's a bit dumb when I start up a Legend of Zelda stage and hear something from Donkey Kong, and such. Also, try to keep the music (and stages) within the Nintendo boundaries. Don't go and include some song from Bomber-Man or Pac-Man, as they have nothing to do with Project M at all.

I hope this didn't come off harsh or anything, but I just really want to make sure. I'm sure you'll keep it within or around these boundaries, but after seeing so much packs with music from Kingdom Hearts and such, it's annoying.

Last edited:

BravoGangUS

Smash Rookie
Another thing I'd like to say, while I do have faith in you, may become a problem, is that most packs include a few ugly stages. I mean, I don't want to be rude, but I hate it when I go download a pack and start checking out the stages, and there's that one stage that has bad lighting, ugly textures, horrible placement, disgusting models, and so on. I really hope that you only use high-quality stages, and not ugly ones.

Something else I'd like to make sure is that the Stage Select Screen has consistency. I'm not a big fan of people who have the Stage Select Icon and Stage Select Previews be two different angles of the stage, as it ruins the consistency that Brawl has been keeping. If you do, however, include different Stage Select Icons and Previews, then PLEASE keep it consistent.
At least based on what Codex has done so far with characters I trust that he will make a great build. A long with alt costumes that look really bad or change who the character actually is, bad looking stages that don't play well or look good make me lose interest in someone's build.

One last thing I'd like to add in is about the music. When you're adding in music to stages, please try to keep them consistent to the franchise! I hate it when I go into a Smash Bros. Stage (ie: Final Destination) and hear something from XenoBlade Chronicles. It's a bit dumb when I start up a Legend of Zelda stage and hear something from Donkey Kong, and such. Also, try to keep the music (and stages) within the Nintendo boundaries. Don't go and include some song from Bomber-Man or Pac-Man, as they have nothing to do with Project M at all.
I agree with what you said about a LoZ stage having something like DK music, but I think it also depends on the stage. At least to me.
If he is also going to change music for some of the current PM stages, a stage like Final Destination or Battlefield seems neutral enough where it shouldn't matter where the music is from as long as it fits well. For example I replaced one of the songs on my SD Card for Final Destination with a song from Bravely Default which actually fits really well.

Wander-VG

Smash Cadet
Totally agreed Reserved, but as BravoGangUS says, a stage like Final Destination or Battlefield does not have a specific franchise, I mean, that they haven't appeared in any other game than Smash Brothers.

Speaking of Final Destination, what do you think about Neo Destination?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Totally agreed Reserved, but as BravoGangUS says, a stage like Final Destination or Battlefield does not have a specific franchise, I mean, that they haven't appeared in any other game than Smash Brothers.

I think of Final Destination and Battlefield both as Smash Bros. stages, so I personally would only use Smash Bros. Music on them, such as themes. I personally think the current music on both stages are fine as is.

MagicManNo9

Okay, here's one thing that bugs the hell out of me with every single pack ever created, and really hope you'll do. When people start adding a bunch of stages over old ones, the Stage Select Screen looks HIDEOUS, because nothing is organized. It's a huge blob of random stages. I would love it if you could edit the Stage Select Screen (check TheytahK's Mod School) and keep it organized. I'm not sure how you would like to organize it, but I recommend doing it by franchise or something of that sort.

I hope this didn't come off harsh or anything, but I just really want to make sure. I'm sure you'll keep it within or around these boundaries, but after seeing so much packs with music from Kingdom Hearts and such, it's annoying.

Ohhh, this is perfect because I wanted to do a section on the main page for stages but havn't got the time (Or well, probably just me being lazy) So I'll address this.

First off, yeah, when you fill up the slots on stages it ends up being hideous if not organised so my plan is once I have all the stages (Going to make a document or a picture listing them all for everyone to see, I'll discuss and organise them til every see's fit, if I had to organised them, it most likely will be in franchise and such, not to mention that with ASL I'll do Vanilla and Competitive so I won't have to worry to much on organizing the two as I aim to get competitive versions of all/most stages and such.

The second factor, ugly stages, agree so much on, I wouldn't pick a stage I find horrible to play on, mainly because it's off putting and at the end of the you want a stage that looks really nice and high quality, if it comes to it I'll even edit a couple of stages to my standard.

Third part, yeah, I plan to keep consistency with the stage portrait/icons, I'm a huuuuuuge fan of consistency and if a little thing is sticking out, I'm going to not stop til I fix or do something about it, I'll be making my own Stage portrait/Icons for all stages so I can take the right pictures that fit.

Lastly, the music, this is one of the KEY things I had in mind when making my own build, every stage needs a theme that fits perfectly imo, even more so if it's in the series of the stage it's set in, if it helps I could spend hours staring and listening to about 10+ themes for stage and pick out the right one, and I never go out of the boundaries of Nintendo music.

And by all means no, you're not coming off harsh at all, I'm the kind of guy that'll take everything seriously! So it's good to hear from people with a similar mindset as mine when it comes to the standard of this build I have in mind.

At least based on what Codex has done so far with characters I trust that he will make a great build. A long with alt costumes that look really bad or change who the character actually is, bad looking stages that don't play well or look good make me lose interest in someone's build.

I agree with what you said about a LoZ stage having something like DK music, but I think it also depends on the stage. At least to me.
If he is also going to change music for some of the current PM stages, a stage like Final Destination or Battlefield seems neutral enough where it shouldn't matter where the music is from as long as it fits well. For example I replaced one of the songs on my SD Card for Final Destination with a song from Bravely Default which actually fits really well.
Thanks man! I will defiantly go all out on this in every little area and create the best build I can put together!

Ohhh and yeah, Bravely Default has such a nice soundtrack and came out on 3DS only, will consider a stage for that (But that I mean might make one in the far future~) I also really should re-play and complete that game, remember loving it the first time round. (Fire Emblem Awakening Phase here, been replaying for the 5th time)

I was looking at Neo Destination, love the range of colours it has, and since FD is already a stage that fits both Vanilla and Competitive PM using ASL fits pretty well with it.

I think of Final Destination and Battlefield both as Smash Bros. stages, so I personally would only use Smash Bros. Music on them, such as themes. I personally think the current music on both stages are fine as is.
Yeah, I'm actually really okay with the music on those stages, I don't think I would need to replace them or a couple of others and aim for a consistent feel with the tracks.

On a random note I'm just linking this theme because it's so badass, haven't planned to use this but just wanted to link it because of it's badassery.

MagicManNo9

So anything new for your build?
At the moment, just tweaking a few tings here and there, I'm actually going through all the stages I want to implement into the build and it's music, doing that on a word document and then organizing them before placing them in, (Ordering them via game series etc)

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
I can already tell i want your build

MagicManNo9

I can already tell i want your build
Thanks! I'm glad you're excited about it! Sorry for the late reply, it's been quite a busy week over here!

UPDATES:

Sorry for the late update people, I've been spending a lot of time in the den learning to mod back and forth (Modeling, editing and what not, more of a self-teach kind of thing) in regards to update on the build.

I actually have the whole list of stages chosen as well as the order of which I'll place them on the stage selection screen, implementing them will take time but have everything prepared on that front! Will put up a section for stages later on during the week.

Characters were coming along slowly, here's Yoshi and Charizard though:

:charizard: Charizard:
:yoshi2: Yoshi:

Yoshi wasn't exactly difficult to do compared to charizard, with Charizard I dug deep and pulled out the old costumes from the early versions of PM and edited the saturation so they fit in with the others, reason I chose those costumes you ask? Quite simple actually, it's because the colors are based on other Pokémon such as Salamance, Scyther, Charmeleon and Aerodactyle, I just felt that was a nice touch and added them in.

In regards to Mega Evolutions, I wonder what other people's perspective on it is? Because I know that PM doesn't have final smashes and in the future it might even be possible for PM to have mega evolution as a final smash similar to Warioman etc (Well most likely not because of the conditions of having them in PM at all rules it out but hey, anything's possible I'd like to think~) I decided to just keep Mega X and Y Charizard and leave it at that due to the many different versions and I wanted a variety of colors for Charizard.

Also UPDATE once more, I'm going to add a FAQ section soon, but what I'll be doing is that any questions people ask that I feel may be asked again, no matter how big or small I'll place them into the FAQ section, basically saying I'll answer any questions anyone has for it and provide an explanation to why or why not I added so and so in.

That was a long write up there but I just want to assure people this build is going strong!

BravoGangUS

Smash Rookie
I have no problems with the mega evolutions being included. I actually like their inclusion :grin:
Can't wait to see the stages you picked

Also, for Peach do you have any plans on including Nurse Peach or the "Golf" Peach to go along with the Dr and Golf versions of Mario and Luigi?

Last edited:

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
I have no problems with the mega evolutions being included. I actually like their inclusion :grin:
Can't wait to see the stages you picked

Also, for Peach do you have any plans on including Nurse Peach or the "Golf" Peach to go along with the Dr and Golf versions of Mario and Luigi?

I wouldn't mind Nurse Peach or Golf Peach but the thing that would bug me is her floating. Her floating around in that costume would look kinda weird imo.

But what about a Pauline version of peach? The version from Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem?

Last edited:

Wander-VG

Smash Cadet
Are you a Wizard?

On a side note, is your profile picture Luna?

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
ok codex i love what you've done with the costumes so far

but um

if i don't see sunshine peach in this them im going to cry

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEPLAPSLEPSLAEPLSPSLAE

PLEASE PLEASE

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Y'know, after Codex is done making the pack you can add in characters yourself...

Liking the progress, by the way.

MagicManNo9

I remember having to think on that for a while, I would totally add that in however the skirt and the way Peach stands feels out of place for me, I'm actually hoping that PMBR actually do an alt for Peach in regards to that, however I will look into it though!

But what about a Pauline version of peach? The version from Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem?
Ohh, read my mind, I'm actually going to do that funny enough!

Remember that Mega Charizard X has his blue flame mustache.
Yeah, I might have to rid of the mustache to make it work I think (Actually I know I will) it's hard unless some God like individual comes along and magically makes the flame work (Because I understand that's really hard to do haha)

What about a Nurse Bowser?
This ^ Why isn't there a Nurse Bowser?

ok codex i love what you've done with the costumes so far

but um

if i don't see sunshine peach in this them im going to cry

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEPLAPSLEPSLAEPLSPSLAE

PLEASE PLEASE
Don't you worry, I have that costume exactly on my mind when working on Peach's costumes~

There no purple yoshi :/
Ahhhh, I guess I really should place Purple Yoshi in (I was thinking to myself last night that taking purple out would be a bad idea)

replace boshi with purple yoshi

pleaseplease

boshi isnt really the canon yoshi so
Wait, there's a canon in Mario's continuity? Also I thought Boshi was canon? Ahhh I'll do something about this, I know some people want Boshi and others don't, so I'll make him optional?

Seems like CBliss is not enough for Yoshi.
The amount of Yoshi colors are insane! Someone make CBliss with 20 costumes happen! (You know, with some coding and BrawlEX, it's actually very possible to make more than 10 costume slots hypothetically speaking that is.

Y'know, after Codex is done making the pack you can add in characters yourself...

Liking the progress, by the way.
Thanks man! And so true, what I will do is release little packs for characters to give people a pick and pix of what to place into the build, next to the main one I'll release I think!

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
Echoing what a lot of others have said already, but this looks incredible. Keep up the great work. Will definitely keep tabs on this project for updates.

MagicManNo9

Really nice work @ MagicManNo9 MagicManNo9 !!! Loving your costume picks :) ... Can't wait for your build to come out!
Thanks! Working hard non-stop on it everyday!

Echoing what a lot of others have said already, but this looks incredible. Keep up the great work. Will definitely keep tabs on this project for updates.
Thank you so much! I love hearing stuff like this! Just makes my day and motivates me to do so much more!

UPDATE:

:lucario: Lucario:

What I plan to do replace Ninja Lucario with the upcoming fighting costume PM plans to release in the next 3.5 build~

MagicManNo9

Codex, have a look at the new costumes for Sonic, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Toon Link. Here.
First off, those sonic alts are 10/10, I stayed up last night waiting for Art Tuesdays and the PMBR never fails to deliver awsomes, will have to rethink some things for sonic alts now, dem Kirby's as well and DK's, loving it~

Im guessing Toon link will be subject to change now.
At first I didn't think much on it but then I realised that the PMBR team will probably make them team colors, similar to Link/Fox/Falco's melee costumes so hmmmmmmm, that'll be something to think on.

Let's see who to take out, luckily it's only two costumes I need to pick from haha.

Last edited:

MagicManNo9

You will not take out Conductor Link.
I will not take out Conductor Link, got it

Will be deciding on it later tonight when I get working on placeholder textures for outset link, (PMBR version has different patterns, mine will be a simple recolor until the real deal comes out, same case with Melee Ganondorf)

Speaking of placeholder textures (I'll be calling it that from now to refer to costumes in place until 3.5 comes out, which shall be glorious) annnd with that said, here's sonic:

:sonic: Sonic:

Before people ask, the Tails, shadow and silver ones are just recolours with some tiny adjustments, there's no real reason to go all out on it because 3.5 will have proper version with the cosmetics and such, hence why I made these and called them, "placeholder textures" these ones I specifically made quickly using a mix and match thing to work on (took a day but got there!) I also did a Knuckles Red and Jet Green version to go with it as well, Jet one actually have Jet's boots if anyone wonders.

Now for the questions I believe people will ask, Sonic boom one is a version to match brawl.

As for the "Why not DLC tunic sonic?" reason being is that it felt out of place, the texture I mean, it's more matching sonic on the wii U and looked differently when I put them right next to each other haha.

Any other questions, shoot away!

Top Bottom