• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Back Room Releases Blog Post on v3.5, Recoveries

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
This afternoon, the Project M Back Room published a post on their official website talking about the upcoming Project M 3.5. This blog post was focused on the team's balance goals, and specifically on recoveries. Project M is criticized by some for having many characters that can 'recover from anywhere,' making edgeguarding for some characters too risky to justify. It appears that this is a facet of the game that the PMBR team is looking to change - while no specific changes to characters were mentioned, the post makes quite clear that adding risk to recovery is part of their overall design goal:​

The goal is that the recovering victim should have just enough options that they feel a certain pressure to combine their limited recovery moves in ways that can surprise the edgeguarder, and earn their way back on to the stage. It takes skill and creativity, and in many ways the high-risk offstage game full of low percentage kills, mixups, and sudden attacker-victim reversals best defines what is so unique about Smash Bros as a fighting series. Curiously, the game was originally programmed to play an audience “Woah!” noise when someone makes it back to the stage from far away – we want the real audience to feel that excitement more often, too.

Read the full post from the PMBR here.

---

Do you think that the PMBR is doing the right thing? What would you like to hear them talk about next? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit likes what he hears, though he hopes to see a gentle approach - the butterfly effect is everywhere. Talk with him about Project M on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197

This news. I'm expecting good things in the future.

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
So what? Nerf everyone? What about the characters with lackluster recoveries like Falco and Squirtle? What about Fox? Will his recovery get nerfed?

Sir Skaro

Smash Apprentice
"in the process of giving lower mobility characters essential approach options we’ve admittedly been shortsighted on how some of those options can give recovering characters too much freedom"

R.I.P. Squirtle side-b
R.I.P. Diddy side-b and up-b
R.I.P. Mewtwo everything-b
R.I.P. Lucas down-b
R.I.P. ZZS down-b
R.I.P. Mario something
R.I.P. Ivysaur down air
R.I.P. Sonic side-b or down-b
R.I.P. Falco up-b... oh wait

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Posting a gif without any context is spam. Please don't do it. See @ Sen. Sawft Sen. Sawft for the proper way to use gifs effectively.
Okay sorry but I just noticed this and this is rediculous lol. Both posts have just as much context as the other, it doesn't make sense to give him a warning, like seriously.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Okay sorry but I just noticed this and this is bull**** lol. Both posts have just as much context as the other, it doesn't make sense to give him a warning, like seriously.
My post was edited after the initial warning.

Please understand. ;_;

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I honestly think this is a mistake in some cases. A lack in ways a character can recover makes them more predictable when trying to recover, thus making edgeguarding/hogging easier for the player on-stage. This will really kill some characters who already have poor recovery to begin with.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Could of just told us they nerfed Deep Kong.... >.>

On a serious note the only characters I ever hear/read complaints about having "OP" recoveries is Diddy and maybe Mewtwo. Second to that maybe Lucas. I'd agree it's weird to see Lucas' rope snake double in length sometimes but if a monkey has a jet pack and a psychic cat can teleport it makes sense they have great recoveries.

Maybe it is justified because I'm basing this off of stream monsters and commentators input. I don't know how top players feel about Diddy's supposedly god like recovery or Falco's/Toon Link's supposedly absolutely horrible recoveries.

Half of me is a little worried but just gonna trust they know a lot more in the recovery subject then I do. Just thought they had it pretty good in 3.0...

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I honestly think this is a mistake in some cases. A lack in ways a character can recover makes them more predictable when trying to recover, thus making edgeguarding/hogging easier for the player on-stage. This will really kill some characters who already have poor recovery to begin with.
To be honest I was worried about the same exact thing, but if you read the post they're trying to get to a "critical point" where each character will have a slightly hard time recovering. This seems to imply that characters that already have limited recoveries will not be limited further, only that characters with too many unpredictable options will now have less.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
About time they realized recoveries are too good.

It's not like they think the entire cast's recovery is too good. Mario, Roy, Marth, etc will probably remain unchanged.

It's hard to make recovery unpredictable without it being stupid good.

Besides it's not like you should get an equal chance to get back onto the stage as your opponent has to edge-guard you. Edge-guarding situations are rewards for getting your opponent off-stage after all.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's not like they think the entire cast's recovery is too good. Mario, Roy, Marth, etc will probably remain unchanged.
I was just talking about this.

I do think that Mario's recovery will be looked at.

Mario has a cape to stall his recovery, along with reflect projectiles that attempt to gimp him, and the potential to fake his recovery via wall jump out of up B or even make it go insanely higher because of the same wall jump. The tornado makes him gain even more additional height.

I think that they will either lower the height gained from tornado, or lessen how much the cape makes Mario float.

Last edited:

Reiign

Smash Cadet
I just want to see what they do with it. I main Mario and we all know his recovery is amazing, so I'm hoping it isn't drastic.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The people thinking that the characters who have poor recovery or whose strength is supposed to be their superior recovery are going to get nerfed... They're smarter than that.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Recoveries too good?

Better nerf Irelia

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
If nothing else, I can see Mario's ledge sweetspot reduced, he can grab that stage from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far away... even whilst facing backwards.

Also speaking of Roy, if they so much as touch Roy's recovery, I'm gonna be mad ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I'm glad recoveries are being nerfed so the general speed of the game will be drastically sped up, I'm also a bit sad. It's almost guaranteed that my main Link is going to be hit with a recovery nerf since he has crazy recovery options.

They're nerfing recoveries because a the big amount of complaints from the Melee players that the game is too slow compared to Melee, also coining the term "Project Recovery". If you look at the top tier Melee cast, they all have very simple and easily edge-guarded recoveries so they get killed off much faster then a PM character, therefore extending the length of the average game.

I seriously doubt they're going to hit any characters with already bad recoveries as it makes no sense and are instead are going to hit the best recovery characters with a load of options like Mario, Link and maybe Ivysaur. Those are just a few I know with really good recoveries on the top of my head.

edit: okay apparently Link and Ivysaur don't have good recoveries that should be considered nerfable, they were just examples anyways. I don't actually think they're OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
I was just talking about this.

I do think that Mario's recovery will be looked at.

Mario has a cape to stall his recovery, along with reflect projectiles that attempt to gimp him, and the potential to fake his recovery via wall jump out of up B or even make it go insanely higher because of the same wall jump. The tornado makes him gain even more additional height.

I think that they will either lower the height gained from tornado, or lessen how much the cape makes Mario float.
Guess I'm just not all too familiar with Mario in P:M. I always thought they kept the attributes of cape + tornado as close to Melee as possible. But gave him an actually feasible wall-jump out of Up B.

Mewtwo had pretty much the same ridiculous recovery in melee that he does in PM, so maybe nerf it a bit so its harder to recover with Mewtwo, but not to much.
Putting him in helpless after Up B would be a fantastic start.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Guess I'm just not all too familiar with Mario in P:M. I always thought they kept the attributes of cape + tornado as close to Melee as possible. But gave him an actually feasible wall-jump out of Up B.
It is the same or at least extremely similar. The wall jump being significantly easier to perform is what makes his recovery so good.

Significantly easier is an understatement on how much easier it is to perform as well.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I doubt they're going to do much to Squirtles recovery. The worst decision they could make and one I hope never happens is have him go into special fall after canceling withdraw (SideB). If they do that, Squirtle is as good as dead once he's offstage.

They'll probably just tone down the hitboxes on Waterfall (UpB) and how Aqua Jet works.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
I swear to God, if they decide to make Falco's recovery somehow worse, Falco will be worse than a potato offstage. I believe in PMBR though.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
"Please keep in mind that this is an overall design refocusing, rather than a balance one. As such we are going to be changing some characters regardless of how viable or strong they are perceived to be."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
It is the same or at least extremely similar. The wall jump being significantly easier to perform is what makes his recovery so good.

Significantly easier is an understatement on how much easier it is to perform as well.
I have no idea how you'd find a good medium concerning that. In Melee it was more-or-less never used because of the extreme requirements for you to actually be able to wall-jump out of it. That being you had to be close to a wall, and Melee never felt like giving you the satisfaction of being next to a wall in its eyes.

Make it like a frame-perfect thing as soon as you hit the wall, maybe?

Top Bottom