• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Art Tuesday - Fusion Suit Samus

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Really just her suit's appearance. If you beat the game fast enough and see her out of the suit, she doesn't seem to have anything wrong with her. However, her suit is a part of her, and what was really changed was her cellular makeup. Because of the Metroid vaccine, she now has Metroid DNA in her as well as Chozo DNA, so now she's a human/Chozo/Metroid hybrid!

Also of note, it still bugs me how Smash Bros Brawl helped advertise the idea that she can take her suit off like normal armor (since it falls off because of the Zero Laser's recoil), when in actuality it shouldn't do that at all as it's genetically bonded to her. Good thing Smash 4 fixed that...
thanks. i understand now. its amazing she doesn't have cancer or something with all that DNA manipulation.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
This is true.

But you forgot this. PM is not Brawl 2. They didn't cppy paste brawl physics. They had to recreate Melee physics, alter many characters SIGNIFICANTLY, make it as glitch free as possible, try to avoid "Cease and Desist" charges (so they're limited in what they can do), bring back old stages and redesign some of the newer knes, etc.
Note, these are AMATEURS AT BEST. THEY HAVE NO OBLIGATION to do this. They don't get paid to do this. They "waste" thousands of hours that could be used doing other things into developing a game that they generate no revenue from. I'm fairly certain that most of them haven't even finished college yet/have degrees in Game Design.
Smash 4 literally copy pasted many of Brawl's models, upscaled into 1080p (please tell me Charizard or Luigi were not upscaled I dare you), copy pasted many (NOT ALL, but MANY) of Brawl's mechanics, copy/pasted many of the stages and upscaled to 1080 p, etc. These developers working on these games blow the PMDT out of water in terms of experience, skill and working conditions. Yet somehow Smash 4 has LESS costumes, a weaker roster, 3 mechanics that they think makes the game a good competitive game (none of these guys know much about competitive Smash), add SEVERAL anti-competitive mechanics, are worse at balancing (and they go about it in a REALLY STUPID way), unoriginal clones that even play similar, etc.

Not to mention they have funding. The fact that they're getting tons of funding, they're already highly experienced, and they're getting paid to so this, idk why or how Smash 4 is worse than 3.5. It shouldn't. When your consumers have to hack a game to make it more fun, thats when you know you've made a disappointing game. The PMDT will most likely not hack Smash 4, but there will be another group who probably will.
They recreated the physics, yes. On an environment that was already provided by the original dev team, of course. Not denying their progress and good work but then again, they created a mod (a good one) not a game. Creating a game from scratch is much more challenging, even more when they are actually working on the 3DS and Wii U version simultaneously. PM group doesn't get paid, sure; but they have no deadlines to meet, no limited time nor higher ups to answer to nor associate partners to deliver to (You think it's easy to juggle your time with Capcom, Sega, Namco, Game Freak, Monolith, etc. when you they are providing their share in a game?). The way you do your comparison is unfair.

And please, you literally can't assure me that they copy pasted the models from Brawl when most of them look different. That's a personal conjecture you want to believe without any proof of it. They copy pasted old stages for sure but they have always brought back old ones for every new smash iteration, you also fail to mention the amount of new stages they create in order to compensate for this, so this isn't a negative point you could hold against them. And what are this anti-competitive mechanics you speak off? You realize that tripping was gone, do you?
I'll give you the costumes part though, but you forget a couple of things. Costumes are merely cosmetic, they are not an essential addition when you are making a game, so it's understanble that you want to give more focus on the gameplay part instead. You may say that they should do it because they are easier but that is why they are not priority so it's irrational that you hold this as a reason why the new game is "worse". Brawl has been out for years, so even if it's amateur work they have had their own time with no pressure to work on making their alternate customs; it's kinda stupid to hold this against Nintendo when they no longer support the game and console it is for. And you ignore as well that a lot of alternate costumes tend be added post-release through updates or DLC.

And regarding balancing, I take you already played Smash 4 for months to know the ins and outs of the game, have you? We have seen some progress regarding balancing like Meta Knight not being what it used to be but because it's too early to make a definitive judgement I won't say anything more regarding this. I do have to add something though: Achieving perfect balance at least at first it's incredibly difficult, there is so much a group of testers can find out during the stages of development of a game during several months compared to what hundreds or thousands of players sitting in front of their TVs during their free time searching for exploits then going on boards and comparing notes with other users. I remember that the devs of MvC3 said once that they were surprised to see stuff they didn't know about that the players were able to do; and Street Fighter IV has gotten updates throughout the years in order to counter balance issues. PM has good balance but they didn't get everything right at first, there is a reason they also released balance patches.
We are not sure yet how this will turn out for Smash 4, but I know that you like me have no way to know this, so you do better to withhold your judgement.

Regarding the roster, you'd be wrong on that, this is actually considered the best Smash roster to date. The cuts like Ice Climbers hurt though but the diversity it has makes up for it. It's also stupid to hold clones as a reason why it's weak. Smash has always had clones since the beginning, and this was more glaring in Melee's where we had 6 clones out of a 26 character roster, and they had way more similarities to their originals in that game. This time around we have 4 clones and 2 semi-clones out of 51 character roster; this is why it's pointless to scrap the bottom of the barrel to complain about clones.

"idk why or how Smash 4 is worse than 3.5. It shouldn't."

And it isn't. Smash 4 has had a positive reception among the community, with improvements over it's predecessor.

And consumers hacking the game doesn't mean that it was disappointing, just that they wanted to be it more similar to it's previous iteration. The hacking didn't make the game "better", just adjusted it to the way they personally preferred it. On this one though it just comes to personal opinion in the end.
Note: I'm not denying the effort the PM team has done and by no means belittling their good work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom