• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Art Tuesday - Fusion Suit Samus

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The hell are you talking about? People were making skins on Brawl Vault way before Project M was a thing.

I'm willing to bet you haven't actually been around to see how Project M has evolved over time and have only heard about it recently. The dev team spent their "sweet time" working on the actual game engine and designing characters. Knockback stacking, stage collision detection, removing input lag, fixing how shields interact with attacks, etc. That stuff takes a lot of work and was the first priority. Now that the engine is basically finished and every character is in (plus creating Roy and Mewtwo from scratch), why not add some extra content like costumes, especially when the updates from then on are mostly just going be bug / balancing fixes?

Regardless of the fact that they didn't build Brawl themselves, P:M's still the most fun I've ever had with a Smash game, and I know many others who will agree. That's not disrespecting Sakurai or Smash 4, it's just how it is.
You realize that my last paragraph was intended as parody, do you?

Last edited:

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
This is amazing! How did they slim down the model without changing her hitboxes? Oh, and I think Ike and Kirby deserve alts next.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I haven't played any of the metroid games really.

"This destroyed the parasites within Samus, but left her appearance dramatically altered."

What dot they mean by this line? Her actual body is altered too or her suit is just altered?
Well in Metroid: Fusion, Samus gets attacked by the X Parasite, nearly getting killed in the process. The science team that rescues her have to take apart her suit to reach the infected areas. They also give her a vaccine made from Metroid DNA. So her DNA is also permanently altered. That's pretty much the summary of why her suit is so different in this game. I really recommend it if you haven't played it already. It easily became my favorite Metroid game.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
The hell are you talking about? People were making skins on Brawl Vault way before Project M was a thing.

I'm willing to bet you haven't actually been around to see how Project M has evolved over time and have only heard about it recently. The dev team spent their "sweet time" working on the actual game engine and designing characters. Knockback stacking, stage collision detection, removing input lag, fixing how shields interact with attacks, etc. That stuff takes a lot of work and was the first priority. Now that the engine is basically finished and every character is in (plus creating Roy and Mewtwo from scratch), why not add some extra content like costumes, especially when the updates from then on are mostly just going be bug / balancing fixes?

Regardless of the fact that they didn't build Brawl themselves, P:M's still the most fun I've ever had with a Smash game, and I know many others who will agree. That's not disrespecting Sakurai or Smash 4, it's just how it is.
@ Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu
@ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle
@Helmslock
You guys gotta read this

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Please add in the new Shadow skin from Kirby in Smash 4 into Project M!
The PMDT has a strict policy of not including things that are new to Smash 4. This is to avoid Nintendo thinking they have to compete with them. Cease and desist letters are definitely not something the PMDT wants.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA You are misunderstanding me and I think you missed the point of what I intended to say before. I've never had a problem with Project M and I meant no disrespect to the people working on it (My last paragraph in this article was just me tryying to be sarcastic).
My beef was with the people earlier acting like twerps towards the Smash Dev team. I know some of you are not like that but they WERE being disrespectful; specially when they speak out of context, oversimplify the situation and ignore the advances and efforts that were and are being done by Sakurai's team in this new iteration of Smash in order to suit their own arguments. That was all.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
@ THE_MAAFIA THE_MAAFIA You are misunderstanding me and I think you missed the point of what I intended to say before. I've never had a problem with Project M and I meant no disrespect to the people working on it (My last paragraph in this article was just me tryying to be sarcastic).
My beef was with the people earlier acting like twerps towards the Smash Dev team. I know some of you are not like that but they WERE being disrespectful; specially when they speak out of context, oversimplify the situation and ignore the advances and efforts that were and are being done by Sakurai's team in this new iteration of Smash in order to suit their own arguments. That was all.
Ah, sorry, I didn't know it was sarcasm
Edit: forgot the comma after sorry lol

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Once again, basically this.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Hope the old blue recolor is replaced by something like the Phazon Suit.

Unless they've already added the original Dark Suit.
I think they will keep it for now. Unless they make an even better blue colored Samus or even the phazon colored one, i think two alts is really cool.

D

Deleted member

What he said.

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
So PMDT can do it, but Sakurai can't? -_______-
Dude, Sakurai and the team have deadlines and a budget. Not only that, but they have to do way more than just add costumes. They have to create an engine and several modes, trophies, stages, music, characters, etc. essentially from the ground up.

D

Deleted member

I respect the people who make project m and the people who plays it
hell I even talk to one of them
(SilentDoom is an awesome guy) but I (and many other) hate,hate,hate HATE! when ever time there's a new update on project m on smashborads or any website there are smash fans who are going to spit in the faces of sakurai and his team hardwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I respect the people who make project m and the people who plays it
hell I even talk to one of them
(SilentDoom is an awesome guy) but I (and many other) hate,hate,hate HATE! when ever time there's a new update on project m on smashborads or any website there are smash fans who are going to spit in the faces of sakurai and his team hardwork.
But you have to agree with some peoples anger when Sakurai makes some ridiculous decision like adding emo Pit.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Well in Metroid: Fusion, Samus gets attacked by the X Parasite, nearly getting killed in the process. The science team that rescues her have to take apart her suit to reach the infected areas. They also give her a vaccine made from Metroid DNA. So her DNA is also permanently altered. That's pretty much the summary of why her suit is so different in this game. I really recommend it if you haven't played it already. It easily became my favorite Metroid game.
Also, Samus' in game model is a tad different. Instead of standing upright as she normally does, she seems to have a slight hunched over look. Also, instead of resting her hand on top of her arm cannon as she normally does, she holds her cannon from the bottom--however, this could be due to the fact that her cannon was redesigned (although, in theory, it wouldn't be practical and/or smart for the scientists to change the cannon in such a way where Samus is forced to use it differently).

The game, unfortunately, does not go in further detail, but one can speculate on what it means. I have reached the conclusion that maybe certain habits or tendencies that Samus used to have have changed with the infusion of the Metroid vaccine, and maybe the surgery affected certain things like her stature/height.

Last edited:

TrevonMarrast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luigicheesecake
Dude, Sakurai and the team have deadlines and a budget. Not only that, but they have to do way more than just add costumes. They have to create an engine and several modes, trophies, stages, music, characters, etc. essentially from the ground up.
You are right!

D

Deleted member

Why give Samus actual alts when you can give her recolors, her suitless form an alt, and Bowser Jr. 7 alts?

Sakurai's priorities are just weird on that front.
What's so weird about zero suit samus and bowser jr having alts?
(I'm not angry just wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
What's so weird about zero suit samus and bowser jr having alts?
(I'm not angry just wondering)
You find nothing weird about a vet who's been in this series since the beginning only getting recolors while her newer counterpart gets a costume? You find nothing weird about Bowser Jr. getting 7 alts while 7 other characters get nothing?

I'm not angry either, but Sakurai just has weird priorities.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I haven't played any of the metroid games really.

"This destroyed the parasites within Samus, but left her appearance dramatically altered."

What dot they mean by this line? Her actual body is altered too or her suit is just altered?
Really just her suit's appearance. If you beat the game fast enough and see her out of the suit, she doesn't seem to have anything wrong with her. However, her suit is a part of her, and what was really changed was her cellular makeup. Because of the Metroid vaccine, she now has Metroid DNA in her as well as Chozo DNA, so now she's a human/Chozo/Metroid hybrid!

Also of note, it still bugs me how Smash Bros Brawl helped advertise the idea that she can take her suit off like normal armor (since it falls off because of the Zero Laser's recoil), when in actuality it shouldn't do that at all as it's genetically bonded to her. Good thing Smash 4 fixed that...

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Not a game though, a mod for a game. They've never have to worry about creating one from the ground up before.
And that funding and effort of the top notch developers you speak of goes to making an ACTUAL game. Compared to that, making alternate skins for characters on your free time is the easiest part. Kind of like giving whole credit to someone for repainting a house when they didn't build it.
And Brawl came out in 2008, and there was never post-release support intended for it; now we are in 2014 and it took this guys like 6 years after the game came out just to add this skins? They sure took their sweet time (See, I can play that game again).
Anyways, adorable how some people think they completely understand how game developing goes.
This is true.

But you forgot this. PM is not Brawl 2. They didn't cppy paste brawl physics. They had to recreate Melee physics, alter many characters SIGNIFICANTLY, make it as glitch free as possible, try to avoid "Cease and Desist" charges (so they're limited in what they can do), bring back old stages and redesign some of the newer knes, etc.
Note, these are AMATEURS AT BEST. THEY HAVE NO OBLIGATION to do this. They don't get paid to do this. They "waste" thousands of hours that could be used doing other things into developing a game that they generate no revenue from. I'm fairly certain that most of them haven't even finished college yet/have degrees in Game Design.
Smash 4 literally copy pasted many of Brawl's models, upscaled into 1080p (please tell me Charizard or Luigi were not upscaled I dare you), copy pasted many (NOT ALL, but MANY) of Brawl's mechanics, copy/pasted many of the stages and upscaled to 1080 p, etc. These developers working on these games blow the PMDT out of water in terms of experience, skill and working conditions. Yet somehow Smash 4 has LESS costumes, a weaker roster, 3 mechanics that they think makes the game a good competitive game (none of these guys know much about competitive Smash), add SEVERAL anti-competitive mechanics, are worse at balancing (and they go about it in a REALLY STUPID way), unoriginal clones that even play similar, etc.

Not to mention they have funding. The fact that they're getting tons of funding, they're already highly experienced, and they're getting paid to so this, idk why or how Smash 4 is worse than 3.5. It shouldn't. When your consumers have to hack a game to make it more fun, thats when you know you've made a disappointing game. The PMDT will most likely not hack Smash 4, but there will be another group who probably will.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Why couldn't the Fusion suit have been an actual alt costume like Wire Frame Mac and have all four colors? This is excellent.

Top Bottom