• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
I have a different code from the "default" one as well, and I've never desynced. I also ripped my own ISO, which is probably why.
Yeah, it feels as if you don't need to worry about it if you know the iso is full and the game works on dolphin.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So dolphin runs at pretty much 60 fps, but the first time I hit something my emulator pauses and then resumes normal speed. Any idea what the problem might be? Also, the C-stick hardly works on Dolphin with my mayflash adapter... Is something not configured right?

Y-L

Smash Champion
So dolphin runs at pretty much 60 fps, but the first time I hit something my emulator pauses and then resumes normal speed. Any idea what the problem might be? Also, the C-stick hardly works on Dolphin with my mayflash adapter... Is something not configured right?
There might be small hitches that can be more or less noticeable depending on hardware. It has to do with shaders generating. A new dolphin build is under development that could possibly alleviate this entirely along with a bunch of other features when it's done.

As for your c stick, it's because you have no deadzone. Copy my controller settings in the FAQ.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
hmm... so I have an interesting problem with dolphin. I seem to be able to run at 60 most of the time, but I occasionally drop frames, regardless of resolution whether it's 1x native or 4x native. is this a CPU bottleneck? My CPU's a tad old(i5 2500k) but I don't think it should be THAT old. Do I need to upgrade my CPU? It's playable, but annoying. Any possible "got ya"s? I tried the dolphin settings in OP.

Also, whenever I play on netplay it runs like trash, and according to the person I was playing with, it seems we are both able to run it just fine offline but we were running super choppy like maybe 30 frames or less? I have no idea what could be causing this, my internet is 18Mbps down and 2Mbps up our ping was 90ish ms if that matters, but I have had the same problem with people at 60ms.

any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
hmm... so I have an interesting problem with dolphin. I seem to be able to run at 60 most of the time, but I occasionally drop frames, regardless of resolution whether it's 1x native or 4x native. is this a CPU bottleneck? My CPU's a tad old(i5 2500k) but I don't think it should be THAT old. Do I need to upgrade my CPU? It's playable, but annoying. Any possible "got ya"s? I tried the dolphin settings in OP.

Also, whenever I play on netplay it runs like trash, and according to the person I was playing with, it seems we are both able to run it just fine offline but we were running super choppy like maybe 30 frames or less? I have no idea what could be causing this, my internet is 18Mbps down and 2Mbps up our ping was 90ish ms if that matters, but I have had the same problem with people at 60ms.

any help would be appreciated
Your CPU should be fine. If you don't think so you can always OC it (k series). What was your buffer when you played? If you drop a few frames when loading a new menu/stage/model that's normal until Dolphin next gets updated. Make sure your ping wasn't spiking as well. If you both run it fine offline then your connection is clearly the issue.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
Your CPU should be fine. If you don't think so you can always OC it (k series). What was your buffer when you played? If you drop a few frames when loading a new menu/stage/model that's normal until Dolphin next gets updated. Make sure your ping wasn't spiking as well. If you both run it fine offline then your connection is clearly the issue.
we were using a buffer of 5 I believe, and yeah we tried to play a match and it was hardly playable.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
Hi again Y-L. I have shared your tutorial with a few dozens of people with no trouble at all :p but a guy had an unusual issue. He can never join the room of other people via netplay, and when he hosts, sometimes it works (and we can play) and other times it says "error timeout" in the netplay window, even though he made nothing new.
Do you have any idea why it would do that?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi again Y-L. I have shared your tutorial with a few dozens of people with no trouble at all :p but a guy had an unusual issue. He can never join the room of other people via netplay, and when he hosts, sometimes it works (and we can play) and other times it says "error timeout" in the netplay window, even though he made nothing new.
Do you have any idea why it would do that?
That has to do with his connection. Make sure there's no firewall blocking dolphin, try enabling udp in router settings. If nothing works then he might have to forward a port.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Okay... Specs now:

AMD-A8 6600K (4-Cpu 3.66 GHz)
AMD Radeon HD 7700
8 GBs RAM

What settings do I need to get this **** running at 60fps? I just want to play netplay man... Are AMD processors really this bad? BibleThump

Y-L

Smash Champion
Okay... Specs now:

AMD-A8 6600K (4-Cpu 3.66 GHz)
AMD Radeon HD 7700
8 GBs RAM

What settings do I need to get this **** running at 60fps? I just want to play netplay man... Are AMD processors really this bad? BibleThump
They aren't very good for Dolphin due to low IPC (instructions per core) since Dolphin is a duel core program. However that cpu should be sufficient to run PM at full speed. Do you get full speed offline? Where do you lag?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I run it on my own and try playing against a CPU, the FPS isn't ever steady and it always freezes up for a moment when someone's hit for the first time.
Hmm.. My old cpu was an Athlon 750k which has slightly lower single threaded performance than yours. It ran pretty much solid 60 fps. You could always try overclocking as you have an unlocked cpu. Is the lag a very slight stutter or is it bad?

muleet

Smash Apprentice
That has to do with his connection. Make sure there's no firewall blocking dolphin, try enabling udp in router settings. If nothing works then he might have to forward a port.
By forwarding a port, you mean to enable the option "Force netplay to listen to port [the port I want]" ?

Edit : We tried with port 6511 and it worked, he could join another game. Although, just to know, what is the default port for Dolphin? (So he could verify if it is blocked for him.)

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
By forwarding a port, you mean to enable the option "Force netplay to listen to port [the port I want]" ?

Edit : We tried with port 6511 and it worked, he could join another game. Although, just to know, what is the default port for Dolphin? (So he could verify if it is blocked for him.)
Well usually you have to open a port in your router settings before you can do that.. but I guess if that worked for you then hey! It doesn't matter what port you have open just whatever one you open on your router.

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm currently trying to use Project M online with your tutorial but somehow the emulator gets stuck in a whitescreen after declining to save.
I've followed your instructions and changed the settings like in your screenshots.
The same iso I used for an another way and it worked but I didn't used the online version and I really want to try out your way because I want to try it out online, too.
I didn't saved and I really don't know what to do.
Ive tried to convertt the iso several times with different names but all freeze after declining to save.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hello! I'm currently trying to use Project M online with your tutorial but somehow the emulator gets stuck in a whitescreen after declining to save.
I've followed your instructions and changed the settings like in your screenshots.
The same iso I used for an another way and it worked but I didn't used the online version and I really want to try out your way because I want to try it out online, too.
I didn't saved and I really don't know what to do.
Ive tried to convertt the iso several times with different names but all freeze after declining to save.
Did the md5 checksum match? What are your specs? What worked before?

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
Did the md5 checksum match? What are your specs? What worked before?
No, it did not match. (My checksum: 9fdac701fa6e5742aec04ef5af3d17f4)
Well, I used this tutorial on the newest Dolphin version and it worked.
youtube.com/watch?v=SP03UBBcqvw

My specs:
i7 2600k (overclocked to 4,2ghz)
560 ti 2gb
Windows 7.1 x64
8gb ram

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
No, it did not match. (My checksum: 9fdac701fa6e5742aec04ef5af3d17f4)
Well, I used this tutorial on the newest Dolphin version and it worked.
youtube.com/watch?v=SP03UBBcqvw

My specs:
i7 2600k (overclocked to 4,2ghz)
560 ti 2gb
Windows 7.1 x64
8gb ram
If your md5 is wrong that's probably the issue. What md5 did you get? is your brawl ntsc and 7.2gb? Make sure you turn off insert SD card.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
They aren't very good for Dolphin due to low IPC (instructions per core) since Dolphin is a duel core program. However that cpu should be sufficient to run PM at full speed. Do you get full speed offline? Where do you lag?
Here's a video of it. I tested without recording and it worked pretty much exactly the same. Big drops at the start, smoothing out with random, smaller drops later on.

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
If your md5 is wrong that's probably the issue. What md5 did you get? is your brawl ntsc and 7.2gb? Make sure you turn off insert SD card.
I've downloaded and followed the instructions and changed everything according to your tutorial (the one, that works, is completely unrealted to the dolphin I currently use).
I'm gonna delete the dolphin folder in My documents and tweak some stuff.
I'm sure, that the iso file is ok since it works fine (game is 7,92gb big and after conversion 7,22gb) on it's own.

Looks like there is something wrong because I can't start my Smash Bros Brawl untouched rom anymore.
I'm gonna do a new iso.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've downloaded and followed the instructions and changed everything according to your tutorial (the one, that works, is completely unrealted to the dolphin I currently use).
I'm gonna delete the dolphin folder in My documents and tweak some stuff.
I'm sure, that the iso file is ok since it works fine (game is 7,92gb big and after conversion 7,22gb) on it's own.

Looks like there is something wrong because I can't start my Smash Bros Brawl untouched rom anymore.
I'm gonna do a new iso.
It's your brawl iso which is a bad dump. The reason the other method worked is because it relies on virtual SD card with pm files, not the Brawl iso itself (actually it does run off brawl so that's weird). That explains the bad md5.
Here's a video of it. I tested without recording and it worked pretty much exactly the same. Big drops at the start, smoothing out with random, smaller drops later on.

Slight lag is to be expected. Maybe when new dolphin build is released that will help (should help anyways). The lag seems minor.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Slight lag is to be expected. Maybe when new dolphin build is released that will help (should help anyways). The lag seems minor.
Well, as long as it means when I play people it won't **** everything up horribly

Is there a development site/blog I can follow for Dolphin?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well, as long as it means when I play people it won't **** everything up horribly

Is there a development site/blog I can follow for Dolphin?
If you're interested in progress JMC47 would be the one to ask on the ladder. He is good friends with comex, the one working on the new build.

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
I successfully started and played a bit with Project M and it works great!
I've got a few questions:
When I press shift the emulator crashes.
I press shift+F1 to quicksave, F1 to quickload.

Why is it so?
Do I always have to normaly start the game without using savesystem of the game or the emulator?
I've also had some instabilities in general (adding names over the options) and would like to know what I shouldn't do/touch.

The game also doesn't run as fluid as it should (tested with 4p, random stage with all items on).
My settings : imgur.com/7Orvyir,vBY1uPE,ElbRzuE,FjoPmQA#0

And I also saw a really awesome looking additional modifcation (YLs Build V3.3) from you and would like to know if I could use it with my current version and online.
If not, what should I do to use it offline only?
Thank you for your patients and your fast answers, I really appreciate them!

Edit:
I've tried out with opengl settings (which also don't work good) and found out that when I press any button on my keyboard the emulator crashes.
Pics of my settings:
imgur.com/ICAeu1G,bj8dIU4,3aeBiQq,KuCKEC4

Edit 2;
Somehow, quick saving and loading works.
I've only changed some variables and I use Direct 9 with Full HD rendering and vsync off.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've got a few questions:
When I press shift the emulator crashes.
I press shift+F1 to quicksave, F1 to quickload.
Not sure about this. Not sure why you're using this function either.

Why is it so?
Do I always have to normaly start the game without using savesystem of the game or the emulator?
Just start the game normally. You can use the save system of the game (don't use the emulator save states), but don't do it on the DC netplay dolphin version. Do it on the stable or master branch. Not sure why you need a save file either way.

I've also had some instabilities in general (adding names over the options) and would like to know what I shouldn't do/touch.
In the current version of dolphin DC netplay all the shaders load on the first frame they can be loaded. The biggest example is when creating a name, it has to load the mario model which for users with weaker cpu's can hitch for a second. It should not crash your game. It will also be fixed whenever a new DC netplay version of dolphin is released.

The game also doesn't run as fluid as it should (tested with 4p, random stage with all items on).
My settings : imgur.com/7Orvyir,vBY1uPE,ElbRzuE,FjoPmQA#0

Edit:
I've tried out with opengl settings (which also don't work good) and found out that when I press any button on my keyboard the emulator crashes.
Pics of my settings:
imgur.com/ICAeu1G,bj8dIU4,3aeBiQq,KuCKEC4
You should be using OpenGL instead of D3D because you have an nvidia card. D3D9 is not avaliable on the DC netplay branch so idk where you're getting that from. If you're using a different dolphin version for online play use the newest developer versions. D3D9 is buggy and slow compared to new versions. Turn off OpenMP Decoder and Skip EFB Access from CPU in hacks btw. Make sure you turn on the vertex streaming hack with OpenGL. If you are not getting good performance then your cpu is to blame. What cpu do you have? It may be not very good for dolphin. Dolphin requires cpus with high single threaded performance because it is a dual core program. AMD cpus struggle with this.

And I also saw a really awesome looking additional modifcation (YLs Build V3.3) from you and would like to know if I could use it with my current version and online.
If not, what should I do to use it offline only?
Thank you for your patients and your fast answers, I really appreciate them!
You can use a custom build on Netplay if your opponent also has the custom build. If you have different builds or different files you will desync. That is the reason I changed the game ID for my build so that people don't try to use vanilla PM with it. You can use it offline with no problem.

Yudoken

Smash Rookie
So, after testing it a bit with Opengl and your settings it looks like it's working on 60fps without any major issue.
Only the fireemblem causes some bigger slowdowns when it switches the stage.
You asked about my pc so I took a screenshot of my specs.
i.imgur.com/ZZ5nDKE.png
(CPU overclocked to 4ghz)
Here are my current dolphin settings:
imgur.com/9FyAEfO,vylS6OB,6V5x4ay,4N6QtGO,IGNs8nP,0A4tslH,uoNlHv5,BU9XQsN,X3xravy#0

This is my current settings with dolphin, if you have any more recommendations I would like to read them.
Thanks again for your great help!

Y-L

Smash Champion
So, after testing it a bit with Opengl and your settings it looks like it's working on 60fps without any major issue.
Only the fireemblem causes some bigger slowdowns when it switches the stage.
You asked about my pc so I took a screenshot of my specs.
i.imgur.com/ZZ5nDKE.png
(CPU overclocked to 4ghz)
Here are my current dolphin settings:
imgur.com/9FyAEfO,vylS6OB,6V5x4ay,4N6QtGO,IGNs8nP,0A4tslH,uoNlHv5,BU9XQsN,X3xravy#0

This is my current settings with dolphin, if you have any more recommendations I would like to read them.
Thanks again for your great help!
In my previous post I said what you should change in your settings.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Hey @ Y-L Y-L

I think I have decided on the exact laptop I want. I was planning on getting the Lenovo Y410P for 800 bucks and get really frustrated when it told me that it was not availible when I went to buy it (its still on their site being advertised...). Thankfully, I was able to find something similar on Newegg for almost the same price and I wanted you to look it over to make sure nothing is wrong with it. It has an i7 4710HQ, GeForce GT 840M, and and everything else seems to be great.

The only 2 issues I have found is that the keyboards isn't backlit and its 1080p, so I am hesitant to trust the "up to 5 hours" rating, but that isn't too much of an issue as this will mostly be staying in my house. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231974

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey @ Y-L Y-L

I think I have decided on the exact laptop I want. I was planning on getting the Lenovo Y410P for 800 bucks and get really frustrated when it told me that it was not availible when I went to buy it (its still on their site being advertised...). Thankfully, I was able to find something similar on Newegg for almost the same price and I wanted you to look it over to make sure nothing is wrong with it. It has an i7 4710HQ, GeForce GT 840M, and and everything else seems to be great.

The only 2 issues I have found is that the keyboards isn't backlit and its 1080p, so I am hesitant to trust the "up to 5 hours" rating, but that isn't too much of an issue as this will mostly be staying in my house. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231974
Looks good to me. Why would 1080p be an issue? You want that that is a very good resolution. Make sure you disable the dedicated video card in Dolphin and set it to use integrated graphics (there is an option in Dolphin). Integrated graphics should be able to do 2-3x IR and will help with temps. Good choice.

Edit: oh just saw that you related the resolution to battery life. Let me know how it performs but so you know dolphin can be pretty demanding on battery life.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I will make sure to change that setting in dolphin. As for battery life, it will mostly be used around my house, so that is not to much of a concern. Would changing the resolution to a lower one lower battery life, or is that just for compatibility? It is still lighting up the same number of pixels, just less strain on the GPU I would think. I don't need it to have great battery life when I use dolphin, that will be at home. But say I go visit my cousins, I don't want to be tethered to the wall. Still a solid price for what I am getting, so I won't complain, but just curious if that will help when I need to (as well as setting it to battery saver and stuff like that too).

Just a few more questions from when I was reading through the thread.

1. If I want to play offline, I don't need a different version of Dolphin as long as I am not playing Brawl, a Project M with modifications to it (I am considering this), etc... What about other dolphin games? I would need one? I would be saving, but not playing over netplay.

2. Is there any guides you recommend for how to get Brawl off of my disc. I would prefer not to illegally download it, but aside from homebrew, I do not know where to go from there.

3. By chance, do you know if there is a way to use an xbox 360 wireless controller to play on dolphin without an adapter? If not, I will just use the keyboard and mouse for other games, maybe do some testing with frame advance, and wait until novemberish when the official adapter gets released (assuming it works on windows, if not I would just get the mayflash and not bother trying to play with the GC controller on Smash 4).

Thanks for all your help. I will get back to you on how well it performs when it comes (fingers crossed for next week) as well as if I have any issues setting it up.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I will make sure to change that setting in dolphin. As for battery life, it will mostly be used around my house, so that is not to much of a concern. Would changing the resolution to a lower one lower battery life, or is that just for compatibility? It is still lighting up the same number of pixels, just less strain on the GPU I would think. I don't need it to have great battery life when I use dolphin, that will be at home. But say I go visit my cousins, I don't want to be tethered to the wall. Still a solid price for what I am getting, so I won't complain, but just curious if that will help when I need to (as well as setting it to battery saver and stuff like that too).

Just a few more questions from when I was reading through the thread.

1. If I want to play offline, I don't need a different version of Dolphin as long as I am not playing Brawl, a Project M with modifications to it (I am considering this), etc... What about other dolphin games? I would need one? I would be saving, but not playing over netplay.

2. Is there any guides you recommend for how to get Brawl off of my disc. I would prefer not to illegally download it, but aside from homebrew, I do not know where to go from there.

3. By chance, do you know if there is a way to use an xbox 360 wireless controller to play on dolphin without an adapter? If not, I will just use the keyboard and mouse for other games, maybe do some testing with frame advance, and wait until novemberish when the official adapter gets released (assuming it works on windows, if not I would just get the mayflash and not bother trying to play with the GC controller on Smash 4).

Thanks for all your help. I will get back to you on how well it performs when it comes (fingers crossed for next week) as well as if I have any issues setting it up.
I have never heard of changing resolution but I don't think that would help. Battery saver will probably throttle your CPU to the point where it won't run games at full speed. I'd use balanced. I just bring my charger to friends' houses (the charger is quite long).

If you play offline, use the latest development version. The Netplay build can't save. Also the new versions are much faster and have more new features as well as having much less glitches.

I believe the program is called cleanrip which let's you on a homebrewed wii rip your games to an SD card or USB drive.

I think you can use xbox 360 controllers you should probably Google that.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to download the ISO Builder. But only around 150MB is downloading meaning I'm missing 200-300MB of the actual Builder so I can't use it. Any ideas to fix this?

Edit: Never mind! Fixed

Last edited:

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
After I run the bat and it says done, I dont see the pm iso anywhere in the folder.

EDIT: nvm its becuase not enough hard drive space.Ill try it again in a bit.

EDIT2: Got it now but now the MD5 checksum did not match the original. Anyone know what to do?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
After I run the bat and it says done, I dont see the pm iso anywhere in the folder.

EDIT: nvm its becuase not enough hard drive space.Ill try it again in a bit.

EDIT2: Got it now but now the MD5 checksum did not match the original. Anyone know what to do?
First check if your brawl iso is 7.92 gb and NTSC. Also check what version it is (different brawl versions warrant different md5 checksums but don't desync).

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
How do I know what version the ISO is? It works with Dolphin, but crashes when I load the created PM iso.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
How do I know what version the ISO is? It works with Dolphin, but crashes when I load the created PM iso.
It's under properties when you right click it then info. But if it crashes when you load PM that's not the issue. The problem must be here that either A) you have a PAL copy of brawl, B) you have a corrupt or scrubbed copy of brawl, or C) you ran out of hard disk space while installing. In Dolphin is there an American flag next to brawl? That will tell you it is in fact NTSC. Is brawl 7.9gb? If both of those are true then you didn't free enough hard disk space.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I definetly have enough space (35gb) and its the NTSC version at 7.92gb. However the checksum isnt the same. I'll try a different iso

Top Bottom