• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Sword

Smash Cadet
You try rebuilding the iso? You didn't change anything right? The ISO is American?
I just played somebody on netplay and it all worked. Maybe I shouldn't care about the number?

Necrojinsei

Smash Cadet
Could you help me out, the program seems to be not finding the directory or the Project M files even though they are exactly the same as the download. I am running windows 8.1 on an Asus if that helps at all.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm not entirely sure, that's really strange, now that you mention it. Also, I checked the hash for the iso, it didn't match, so it's def breaking down while building, and I'm going to check and pull this iso again to see if it works. If not, I might just need to use a different iso altogether.

Oh, and it won't open via jZip. I think it's corrupted

Edit: Okay, the Brawl ISO didn't download properly, so I re-downloaded, works fine, extracted without a catch and everything, checksum value confirmed, and it compiles the PM iso like normal. However, now the PM ISO hash doesn't match. In addition, I get the same problem as usual (default characters only)

Last edited:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
What do you mean that brawl's matches?
Brawl's checksum for the ISO. I read in the Smash subreddit's tutorial that it's a good idea to check the checksum value of the Brawl ISO as well, I forgot that it doesn't show up on this thread though.

Last edited:

EA4X

Smash Rookie
It says that it needs to create a save file, but when it starts creating one the game freezes.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It says that it needs to create a save file, but when it starts creating one the game freezes.
You mean when you run it from Dolphin?

Iirc, you aren't supposed to create a save state, at least according to this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1t4iab/project_m_30_netplay_guide/

Important: NEVER create a save file when you open Project M. If you do accidentally create one, you can delete it by right clicking your game and selecting "Open Wii Save Folder", and deleting the contents.

Last edited:

OstrichGlue

Smash Rookie
Fantastic guide—I requested that the mods on SSBPM replace my guide in the sidebar with this one, since it has much more info and reddit formatting is garbage compared to Smashboards.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
When I try to boot PM it gets to the point where in the bottom right it says loading, then dolphin crashes every time. Has anyone had this problem?

bicth

Smash Cadet
My CPU's hardware surpasses all of the recommended specs, yet the game is still very laggy.
My CPU is as follows:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Dolphin is on all of the recommended settings as well.

Y-L

Smash Champion
My CPU's hardware surpasses all of the recommended specs, yet the game is still very laggy.
My CPU is as follows:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Dolphin is on all of the recommended settings as well.
Set dolphins display adapter to integrated graphics instead of your dedicated video card in graphics settings. Multimedia laptops share cpu/gpu heatsink and your laptop is probably overheating and throttling.

When I try to boot PM it gets to the point where in the bottom right it says loading, then dolphin crashes every time. Has anyone had this problem?
Is your MD5 checksum correct?

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
Hey, my MD5 checksum isn't correct. I'm getting 4f1f5714debe6679513558807e29a8be instead of 6c00d1da03cd256eb77066e628aad92d. I'm not sure if that information is useful to anyone or not. I've changed the name of my Brawl iso to RSBE01.iso, and I've even checked over the projectm folder and the RSBE01.gct. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other troubleshooting I could perform to alter my outcome?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey, my MD5 checksum isn't correct. I'm getting 4f1f5714debe6679513558807e29a8be instead of 6c00d1da03cd256eb77066e628aad92d. I'm not sure if that information is useful to anyone or not. I've changed the name of my Brawl iso to RSBE01.iso, and I've even checked over the projectm folder and the RSBE01.gct. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other troubleshooting I could perform to alter my outcome?
Is your brawl iso NTSC / 7+gb?

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
Is your brawl iso NTSC / 7+gb?
Yes, it's 7.92 gb, I know it's the correct amount of kb as well because the guide show's how many kb the iso's should be, and the numbers match up exactly to my iso's.

Here's my PM 3.02 ISO Builder folder:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes, it's 7.92 gb, I know it's the correct amount of kb as well because the guide show's how many kb the iso's should be, and the numbers match up exactly to my iso's.

Here's my PM 3.02 ISO Builder folder:
Is it NTSC? In Dolphin is there an American flag next to it?

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
Is it NTSC? In Dolphin is there an American flag next to it?
Yep it's NTSC, I ripped the iso myself from my copy of brawl, and there is an american flag. Thanks for taking time to help btw, I really appreciate it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yep it's NTSC, I ripped the iso myself from my copy of brawl, and there is an american flag. Thanks for taking time to help btw, I really appreciate it.
No problem. Can you md5 your brawl iso? There's also a possibility you got a bad dump of your iso. I don't think any other files can be the issue anymore since I uploaded everything else pre set up unless you moved stuff around.

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
No problem. Can you md5 your brawl iso? There's also a possibility you got a bad dump of your iso. I don't think any other files can be the issue anymore since I uploaded everything else pre set up unless you moved stuff around.
my Brawl iso is giving me 52ce7160ced2505ad5e397477d0ea4fe as an md5 checksum. I'm not aware if that's a good code or not, so if it isn't I'll try to redump the iso.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey, just got to researching some other laptops. How would this laptop do?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...ENVY/902171?ENVY-15z-j100-Notebook-Best-Value

I ask because:
1. It is cheaper than the one you advised
2. It has waaay better battery life (this what causes concern...)
3. It has a discrete chip for other games that I might play that need more GPU.
The reason that one is so much cheaper is because it has an AMD chip. AMD chips have terrible single threaded performance and will likely not run Dolphin at full speed. You're going to want one with a 4th generation i5 or i7 that ends in M or HQ. So it needs to be i5/i7 4XXXM/MQ/HQ. Nothing that ends in U or Y (ultra low power) or nothing that starts with 2 or 3 (older generations). CPU is what is most vital for Dolphin, so don't cheap out on it.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
That is what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyways. I noticed after I asked it didn't have a disc drive, so I couldn't play some older CPU games.

Y-L

Smash Champion
That is what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyways. I noticed after I asked it didn't have a disc drive, so I couldn't play some older CPU games.
Well if you have access to something with a disc drive you can put it on USB.

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
my Brawl iso is giving me 52ce7160ced2505ad5e397477d0ea4fe as an md5 checksum. I'm not aware if that's a good code or not, so if it isn't I'll try to redump the iso.
I found that the code the brawl iso is giving me is the code for version 1.02. This code -- d18726e6dfdc8bdbdad540b561051087 -- is the code for brawl version (1). should the version number matter? I'm able to play Project M on my wii off of an sd with the disc, so I have reason to believe it shouldn't matter what version the disc is.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I found that the code the brawl iso is giving me is the code for version 1.02. This code -- d18726e6dfdc8bdbdad540b561051087 -- is the code for brawl version (1). should the version number matter? I'm able to play Project M on my wii off of an sd with the disc, so I have reason to believe it shouldn't matter what version the disc is.
I'm really not sure if that will make you desync or not. I would just try it on Netplay and see what happens. If you desync (assuming wiimotes/insert sd card are off), then you know why.

Thriles

Smash Rookie
Just curious if this is getting any attention? It had no comments on the PM reddit, and has very little on Smashboards as well.

It's meant to auto assign items and levels the moment the game starts up as well, so I'm genuinely surprised it's flown under the radar to my knowledge, it also has the community trialed, new stage select screen.

I'm not sure if it's the Xanadu version or the original TKBreezy tourny pack (Xanadu only has the new page 1 as level, original has a few on page 2 that are legal as well), but that's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Just curious if this is getting any attention? It had no comments on the PM reddit, and has very little on Smashboards as well.

It's meant to auto assign items and levels the moment the game starts up as well, so I'm genuinely surprised it's flown under the radar to my knowledge, it also has the community trialed, new stage select screen.

I'm not sure if it's the Xanadu version or the original TKBreezy tourny pack (Xanadu only has the new page 1 as level, original has a few on page 2 that are legal as well), but that's not that big of a deal.
We're really trying not to have all these different project m iso's floating around, I'm only going to endorse the vanilla build. Auto items off random stage select is from the community build, and all of this will be in PM 3.5's iso builder files.

Personally I don't really like the pack anyways (Yoshi's Island Brawl over FOD as a counterpick? really?) but that's just personal bias.

The reason we don't want a bunch of different PM builds floating around is because whoever you connect to has to have the same build as you so that makes it hard and I definitely don't think that pack is balanced, popular, or widely accepted enough to become standard.

Ash_Marks

Smash Rookie
I'm really not sure if that will make you desync or not. I would just try it on Netplay and see what happens. If you desync (assuming wiimotes/insert sd card are off), then you know why.
Well I haven't desynced yet, so I guess more than one code works? or maybe all of my opponents have the same code? I dunno :p

Thriles

Smash Rookie
We're really trying not to have all these different project m iso's floating around, I'm only going to endorse the vanilla build. Auto items off random stage select is from the community build, and all of this will be in PM 3.5's iso builder files.

Personally I don't really like the pack anyways (Yoshi's Island Brawl over FOD as a counterpick? really?) but that's just personal bias.

The reason we don't want a bunch of different PM builds floating around is because whoever you connect to has to have the same build as you so that makes it hard and I definitely don't think that pack is balanced, popular, or widely accepted enough to become standard.
Yeah I can understand that, I figured it may have been sliding under the radar in this thread because the features were planned to be in 3.5 as well. Personally I agree with FoD > YIB as well, that level sucks.
Hopefully 3.5 is right around the corner anyway, not having to change the settings everytime would be great.

Top Bottom