• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Production Values and the Smash Community

SaggyG

Smash Cadet
If you guys need remixed music I can hook you up. It looks like you already got that handled though. If you need help with anything, just let me know how.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
9 PM EST tonight, I'll be streaming our production meeting.

twitch.tv/progducto

We'll be updating what is going on, taking questions, and stuff.

Ramo

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this has already been addressed/handled:
For music, are you still looking for remixes?
Original background music?
Just tell me what you need

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Someone needs to upload something for the Evo music if no one has. Needs to be an original beat to be played when smash goes on stream.

prog

Sorry if this has already been addressed/handled:
For music, are you still looking for remixes?
Original background music?
Just tell me what you need
We are still looking for remixes, yes. Original background music...not so much. We're really trying to nod at our own community (by picking songs that are well known in the Smash community, i.e. Silence, the BTT theme, Final Destination, etc.)/Nintendo with the music choices. However, I'll take those submissions as well, and we'll let people decide on it later.

Krisp, no idea if anyone has done anything for that.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Prog, what kind of remixes are you looking for? I might be sending some stuff your way.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Geof, I'm just going to say the polite version of what everyone else is thinking. You're probably not suited for this task. Might want to sit this one out.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Geof, I'm just going to say the polite version of what everyone else is thinking. You're probably not suited for this task. Might want to sit this one out.
Well, thanks for saying it politely, but is that what everyone else is really thinking? And just bcuz im 13 doesn't mean that im capable of doing good things!

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
My contribution to the production value of melee will be providing yet another high quality, semi-professional grade, melee stream. I would greatly appreciate if you guys would follow this channel below as tonight we are hosting a test stream for tomorrows tournament(our first).

http://www.twitch.tv/greenlightlive

prog

Next meeting is (hopefully) Thursday. Hoping to have a preview of some sort ready.

prog

No meeting this week, however, we are looking for additional video editors. AVID/Final Cut Pro (7 and earlier preferably) would be great.

Tero.

Smash Champion
We are still looking for remixes, yes. Original background music...not so much. We're really trying to nod at our own community (by picking songs that are well known in the Smash community, i.e. Silence, the BTT theme, Final Destination, etc.)/Nintendo with the music choices. However, I'll take those submissions as well, and we'll let people decide on it later.

Krisp, no idea if anyone has done anything for that.
blue lightning (Isai the movie / real kings wear tiaras)
passing of the blue crown (king of smash)
stainless steel (i.am.robot)

prog

No meeting this week, but I guess everyone deserves an update as to what's going on, right?

1. The ugly stuff - first off, we finally have a name/youtube/twitch channel/twitter.
https://www.youtube.com/user/UniversityofSmash
twitch.tv/universityofsmash
twitter: https://twitter.com/UofSmash

The logo is being designed by Boback and DarkDragoon for wraparounds and such, we're trying to get music for the wraparounds as well. We're still getting music for videos, still requesting more. Also, we'd love someone to manage the twitter/youtube/etc., basically extremely light PR work.

To all of the streamers out there: We will have a drop box to host all of the files for you guys.

2. The Advanced How To Play - Due to time constraints, real life issues, etc. this project has been taken over by myself, Armada, Strong Bad, Wak. There are others working on it, but we're kind of pushing the tempo. Still in the midst of figuring out how to organize it properly, however, there are two major things that have been brought up:
a. how to perform vs how to apply
b. how much we cover

I think it makes sense to cover all of the basics that aren't character specific and maybe just mention a few that are in passing (double jump cancelling, float, etc.) but to leave those things that the entire cast isn't capable of open for another video, whether a technique specific tutorial, or a character specific one. In addition, on the covering matter, people have said that they want to make sure we touch everything. What might be basic to an upper echelon player can be foreign to someone viewing this, so I think we should cover the most extreme of the basics.

For the how to perform, that goes without saying. Some people want to see a button layout on how to perform things, and I think that's fantastic. However, more people want to know how to apply things, so that will take a wide portion of the video.

We're still taking notes on what people want to see in it, so if you have any questions, comments, concerns, complaints, consternation:
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1bx4xj/meleeto_new_and_old_players/

3. The Shorter How To Play - This is the 3 minute version for streams. Well, Strong Bad and Toph are done scripting, it looks good. Chred2AKrisp and Internet Explorer will be recording shortly, we'll throw voiceovers in, and this, more than likely, will be our first completed project! HYPE.

4. Transitioning from Street Fighter to Smash - Well, this project has been completed by another group (which I am very gracious for, lets me focus on the AHTP). However, it hasn't been scrapped. Instead, D1, Alukard, Bum and I at some point will get together and make a video to prove why EVO 2007 gave SSBM the name Marvel Jr. However, its a luxury item at this point, the AHTP takes priority.

5. Shorter videos - Ripple's computer is acting up, so a lot of this is behind schedule. Will be looking for someone to join him, Cubaisdeath, etc. to help out.

6. Character/technique tutorials - Waiting to hear from a few people. I think Mofo has signed on to do a Ness tutorial, MDZ is working on a tutorial, etc. I'd love to have someone like Lovage or Silent Wolf go over Fox, or even some of the more "technical" space animal moves/options, etc.

Uh...that's all I can think of right now.

prog

Also, putting this in Melee Discussion is kind of a misnomer, but not really. On this same channel, King Funk will be doing things for 64, MikeHaze will have a Brawl group assembled, and P:M has an open invitation as well.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
1. player interviews - gotta record the interviews when everyone is at one place (at a major, when they might have a match, want to stay warm, etc.) and also rent equipment. definitely a stellar idea.
2. character breakdowns - in the process, part of that filler video, we can probably get it all down to :60
3. advanced how to play - being made.
4. metagame minute - part of the filler.
if anything handwarmers are filler, those pre-set videos would be sick for melee and any smash game in general. Thats literally what this community needs :) it is making smash seem much more nurturing and basic and welcoming to foreign viewers so people would consider smash a formidable community

prog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTes-Ndosvk

Last update, quicker to explain than type. Of course, I can't edit, and people have asked, what is this all for?

Basically, check out my sig. We're looking to use stream downtime to educate the casual viewer, keep the interest of the average, and just reiterate things the best know. The short How To Play video, various filler video, etc. We're improving the Smash brand, or the streams anyway. We can't control data caps, but we can create content to keep people interested, educated, etc. I was watching a lot of KOC2, seeing what people were saying about the stream, and mostly positive things. However, there were a few things that a few people spoke about:

During downtime, the commentators aren't sure of what match is coming up.
People asking what certain things (DI, Wavedash, etc. are)
Why certain characters are popular

That's why smash is at an interesting crux right now. We had the DC++ hub, where the most dedicated fans would go to download matches. Youtube opened it up a bit more, people subscribing and finding content every week. Now, we get regionals on twitch's front page, drawing in the person that knows absolutely nothing as well as top names who can't make the event. It goes without saying that we'll keep our own, the question is how do we draw in first time viewers? They'll watch, they might be entertained, they might have questions. But from there, will they get answered? Sure, people may try to respond, but it'll get lost in the stream monster fray.

So, we take stream downtime, make the most of it. That's the goal of one half of this project. To take the casual viewer, give them a basic understanding.

--

Step 2, they understand, they want more. We take the now interested viewer, the player who fights 1 on 1 with his friends, the tournament rookie, even a couple of vets and teach them more. We expand the viewer base, we expand the player base.

That's where the youtube tutorials come in. How to think of certain characters, certain situations, etc.
--
Might continue this later.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Haha on my way home from class today I was thinking of ways to make my GreenLightLive downtime more interesting. I had this idea of doing something similar like at the movie theatre where they play some cool music in the background and have some trivia play on the screen with a simple ABC or D answer. Have the twitch audience try to make a guess and such. It would be all smash related triviaa players, stages, characters, etc. I'd probably going digging in that huge thread of "knowledge about melee that you didn't know before"

Top Bottom