• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But the thing is, Star Fox isn't a small franchise at all. It's actually decently sized and has had much more notoriety than the likes of KI and Fire Emblem. You say money makes the world go around, which is true. With that statement, then Star Fox made enough to give it a fourth character.
Star Fox has four real games and two remakes (one of which is a remake of a remake). Fire Emblem has 13 games dating back to the original Famicon. And it hasn't had a game in 8 years (as Phaazoid said).

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
You're twisting my logic. Star Fox games make a lot of money, sure. However, there's been so few of them that the franchise as a whole isn't big. On top of that, it's been 8 years since we've seen one, so it hasn't made any money lately at all.

So no, Star Fox has not made enough to give it a fourth character, in my opinion.
I guess this is where opinions differentiate. I see a big franchise as one that has given the host company a decent profit. To me, it could have one game, or it could have 100, but if it doesn't sell, then it's not a big franchise. Fire Emblem and Star Fox were at different amounts of titles, (didn't realize I messed that up before editing,) but Star Fox had more characters than Fire Emblem. That says something.

From a current standpoint, FE has given the franchise one giant success that has reached mainstream popularity. Now FE gets 4 characters because they've grossed enough to give them that, so I agree. I still believe, however, that Star Fox is still a big enough franchise to warrant a fourth character based on it's past successes with it's titles. While the franchise didn't get anything apart from a remake in 8 years, the concept of the new game had been tampered with for that time. So who knows, maybe they've just taken that as enough to add someone else.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Christ you're all downers bent on sucking the hope out of Krystals inclusion. We're talking about Starfox here, the space animal clones. I know that Wolf is kinda different but his final smash is exactly the same and his specials have slightly different executions than Fox's/Falco's.Due to the fact that Toon Link and Lucina have been added I don't see them changing anytime soon. So we've got 3 characters with very similar abilities and what better way to make Starfox more diverse than to add in Krystal with her staff. We all know that she's unlikely but not as unlikely as you make her out to be and I think since you want other characters in before Krystal you're letting your preferences downplay her as a suitable choice. I mean I don't think Ridley has a chance as anything more than a boss but that could simply be my preferences and personal bias clouding my judgement.
plus this argument and counterargument about sales and how many games and impact and priority is never gonna end. We just have to wait and see.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I guess this is where opinions differentiate. I see a big franchise as one that has given the host company a decent profit. To me, it could have one game, or it could have 100, but if it doesn't sell, then it's not a big franchise. Fire Emblem and Star Fox were at the same amount of titles, but Star Fox had more than Fire Emblem. That says something.
I think you're just confusing what I'm saying a little bit.

I agree Starfox is an important Franchise, and a big one. It hasn't had many games, but a lot of people are aware of it.

It's just that Nintendo's given the series the cold shoulder, for no apparent reason. I understand, I'm a Metroid fan.

But there is proof that Sakurai bases character inclusion off of a game's recentness. After all, he chose to include a pokemon from X/Y before he even knew which one. That also says something.

We all know that she's unlikely but not as unlikely as you make her out to be and I think since you want other characters in before Krystal you're letting your preferences downplay her as a suitable choice. I mean I don't think Ridley has a chance as anything more than a boss but that could simply be my preferences and personal bias clouding my judgement.
plus this argument and counterargument about sales and how many games and impact and priority is never gonna end. We just have to wait and see.
I might be making her sound more unlikely than I think she is because of all of my negative arguments, but I don't think she has no chance. I'm interested to see how Sakurai handles the starfox franchise. I was interested with how he was going to handle the FE situation, and I don't think he could have done it better.

As for my preferences, I was actually a Krystal supporter pre brawl, I didn't think wolf was gonna get in. Krystal is still a character I support, maybe not as much as a few others, but still more than most of the popular ones that are considered to have much higher chances nowadays. Even for my most wanted character, Ridley, I have no idea if he will be a boss or playable, Sakurai has me thrown for a loop.

Sorry if I've been sounding too negative in this thread, I've just been trying to lay all the facts down. If that's what is sounding negative, well... that says something.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You're twisting my logic. Star Fox games make a lot of money, sure. However, there's been so few of them that the franchise as a whole isn't big. On top of that, it's been 8 years since we've seen one, so it hasn't made any money lately at all.

So no, Star Fox has not made enough to give it a fourth character, in my opinion.
FE has 13 games, and has sold less than 5 million copies.
Star Fox has 6 games, and has sold roughly 12 million copies.

Star Fox is so much more popular, it's unreal. It's really a case of quantity/quality.

It's also worth noting that Star Fox has cultural significance. Dialogue lines are still to this day quoted very often, and it's made appearances in various forms of pop culture (including Futurama). There aren't too many people, let alone gamers that don't know what Star Fox is all about. Most gamers don't know anything about Fire Emblem, despite its appearance on Smash Bros.

Not to mention that Nintendo consider Star Fox one of their main series'. Fire Emblem, not so much.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
FE has 13 games, and has sold less than 5 million copies.
Star Fox has 6 games, and has sold roughly 12 million copies.

Star Fox is so much more popular, it's unreal. It's really a case of quantity/quality.

It's also worth noting that Star Fox has cultural significance. Dialogue lines are still to this day quoted very often, and it's made appearances in various forms of pop culture (including Futurama). There aren't too many people, let alone gamers that don't know what Star Fox is all about. Most gamers don't know anything about Fire Emblem, despite its appearance on Smash Bros.

Not to mention that Nintendo consider Star Fox one of their main series'. Fire Emblem, not so much.
These are good points. They also aren't mutually exclusive with what I was saying about not having a game in forever. And FE might not have been super popular, but it's starting to gain steam, especially with awakening. And some of star fox sales have been in remakes... with already such few games.

Also, despite your reasoning, I notice you don't have Krystal on your roster in your sig. What's your reasoning for not including her, if not sales?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81P4XU0+IhL._SL1500_.jpg[/collapse]

Star Fox might not "deserve" a fourth character; however, that is not entirely relevant as most believed that Fire Emblem did not "deserve" a fourth character. There is a precedent to support this notion and make your sentiment entirely arbitrary.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
These are good points. They also aren't mutually exclusive with what I was saying about not having a game in forever. And FE might not have been super popular, but it's starting to gain steam, especially with awakening. And some of star fox sales have been in remakes... with already such few games.

Also, despite your reasoning, I notice you don't have Krystal on your roster in your sig. What's your reasoning for not including her, if not sales?
I based my roster on the official Wii U select screen order. So to have her in would have meant cutting a Pokemon. I think 7 Pokemon is more likely than 4 SF reps. I'm fairly sure that Squirtle and Ivysaur will return.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
About the codec, I don't think it was foreshadowing in that Krystal said that only she could fight, but it's foreshadowing in that that's how the conversation ended, implying there was no argument against her from Slippy or Peppy. It allowed people to think "yeah, she WOULD be the only other SF member who can fight. She might be in the next Smash". We'll have to see whether it becomes realized.

I'm still betting that Shulk will be the FINAL newcomer announced since there seems to be a huge buildup around him. That trailer might release on August 12th when every last character is revealed (CoroCoro).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Star Fox might not "deserve" a fourth character; however, that is not entirely relevant as most believed that Fire Emblem did not "deserve" a fourth character. There is a precedent to support this notion and make your sentiment entirely arbitrary.
Well, there is a big difference. Lucina was already a skin they decided to make into a simple clone. Krystal would be a fully original character who'd have to be designed from scratch. That is the difference. That's the same problem with Bandana Dee. At least Dixie Kong could potentially be a clone (even though she's got plenty of potential on her own).

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

1 - that was not a new game, that was a remake.
2 - I was talking about planned characters in pre-development, when most of the roster was set in stone. In that phase, Fire Emblem did not get a fourth character. That came later when Sakurai decided Lucina was too different from Marth to be an alt costume, as she was planned, and she was lucky to sneak onto the roster. That is all well documented in the Famitsu interview.

So that precedent isn't as entirely as similar a case as you made it sound.

I based my roster on the official Wii U select screen order. So to have her in would have meant cutting a Pokemon. I think 7 Pokemon is more likely than 4 SF reps. I'm fairly sure that Squirtle and Ivysaur will return.
A bold prediction. I personally agree with your statement of likelihood, but I doubt either of those franchises will see that many characters, personally. That's all my opinion though, no real way to debate that here without getting somewhat off topic.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
About the codec, I don't think it was foreshadowing in that Krystal said that only she could fight, but it's foreshadowing in that that's how the conversation ended, implying there was no argument against her from Slippy or Peppy. It allowed people to think "yeah, she WOULD be the only other SF member who can fight. She might be in the next Smash". We'll have to see whether it becomes realized.

I'm still betting that Shulk will be the FINAL newcomer announced since there seems to be a huge buildup around him. That trailer might release on August 12th when every last character is revealed (CoroCoro).
Is the roster really going to be revealed on August 12? That is my Birthday! Haha.

What makes you believe that Shulk is the FINAL newcomer? I agree to an extent though, a Krystal trailer would make more sense with Falco and Wolf; however, we have neither. But Sakurai did not even imply that we would only get one more trailer.

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
Off topic but it was mentioned for Krystal's chances. Someone wrote earlier that they doubt we will see the chorus men. I don't think Gematsu is dead as much as it is dated. We saw a chorus men villain in the 3ds mode. That is pretty coicindental. Lucina's confirmation is what sparked Krystal's potential any way in that there is the possibility of more characters than we believed. So I think there is surely room as the starfox franchise is one of the first of smash. Fox was one of the starting reveals as well in the first trailer

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Off topic but it was mentioned for Krystal's chances. Someone wrote earlier that they doubt we will see the chorus men. I don't think Gematsu is dead as much as it is dated. We saw a chorus men villain in the 3ds mode. That is pretty coicindental. Lucina's confirmation is what sparked Krystal's potential any way in that there is the possibility of more characters than we believed. So I think there is surely room as the starfox franchise is one of the first of smash. Fox was one of the starting reveals as well in the first trailer
No, we saw a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. There are more characters than Chorus Men in Rhythm Heaven, you know. Many of whom have far more prominent roles.

As for the Lucina debate... yes, it does hint we may have more characters. I just still think there's a ton of characters lined up in front of Krystal who will probably get in before her.

Morbi

Scavenger
1 - that was not a new game, that was a remake.
2 - I was talking about planned characters in pre-development, when most of the roster was set in stone. In that phase, Fire Emblem did not get a fourth character. That came later when Sakurai decided Lucina was too different from Marth to be an alt costume, as she was planned, and she was lucky to sneak onto the roster. That is all well documented in the Famitsu interview.

So that precedent isn't as entirely as similar a case as you made it sound.

I agree, it's a definite with that thread, especially with how fast it moves. At least we only have 2 months to go xD.
It was a game regardless of whether or not it is a remake of a previous installment, it certainly gave the game new-found relevance and it ensured that it was not "eight years" since the last game which makes the point you were trying to make negligible.

That is not material as, last time I checked, she was a newcomer. Therefore, a series of the caliber of Fire Emblem has 4 characters creating a precedent. If I am not mistaken, Wolf was intended to be Star Fox's "Lucina" in Melee. Of course, Falco was chosen over Wolf for his aesthetic differences. So both series would have had a clone character for the sake of having one. In that way, both are "open" to having three unique newcomers... if that was even a relevant sentiment in the first place.

Precedent is precedent.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Is the roster really going to be revealed on August 12? That is my Birthday! Haha.
Yup! A new issue of CoroCoro will be released that unveils the entire roster and stage selection of the 3DS version of the game. Also congrats for that!

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It was a game regardless of whether or not it is a remake of a previous installment, it certainly gave the game new-found relevance and it ensured that it was not "eight years" since the last game which makes the point you were trying to make negligible.

That is not material as, last time I checked, she was a newcomer. Therefore, a series of the caliber of Fire Emblem has 4 characters creating a precedent. If I am not mistaken, Wolf was intended to be Star Fox's "Lucina" in Melee. Of course, Falco was chosen over Wolf for his aesthetic differences. So both series would have had a clone character for the sake of having one. In that way, both are "open" to having three unique newcomers... if that was even a relevant sentiment in the first place.

Precedent is precedent.
It's different because most of the smash brothers roster is decided very early in the game's development. This includes how many new characters per series. Lucina was a planned alt costume, who became too different to be so, and became her own character, the other newcomer for the series was already planned.

I'm arguing that in this pre-production phase, no new character slots were given to star fox, and Krystal was not planned as an alternate costume for Wolf, Falco, or Fox.

I maintain that the case is entirely different and the precedent is invalid.

As for your fist point, I said the series had not seen a new game in 8 years. Sure, they had a re-release, they got some attention from Nintendo, but that's nothing near the caliber of a new game, and certainly didn't revitalize the franchise, which is what it sounds like you're saying with the phrase "new found relevance". I stand by the statement I made, and that the re-release of a 64 game was not enough to bring the series back into the spotlight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

What makes you believe that Shulk is the FINAL newcomer? I agree to an extent though, a Krystal trailer would make more sense with Falco and Wolf; however, we have neither. But Sakurai did not even imply that we would only get one more trailer.
Yup! A new issue of CoroCoro will be released that unveils the entire roster and stage selection of the 3DS version of the game. Also congrats for that!
No, the CoroCoro is only going to explain how the announced roster and stages work. I think its for both versions, they said every announced character and stage.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
No, the CoroCoro is only going to explain how the announced roster and stages work. I think its for both versions, they said every announced character and stage.
You just had to stomp on me, didn't you? XD

Yeah sorry guys, here's the real story: http://wiiudaily.com/2014/07/corocoro-changes-their-statement-only-showing-revealed-characters/

WAIT A MINUTE

The Japanese copy of Smash for 3DS releases September 3rd. We'll still be able to see every character and stage within August!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It's different because most of the smash brothers roster is decided very early in the game's development. This includes how many new characters per series. Lucina was a planned alt costume, who became too different to be so, and became her own character, the other newcomer for the series was already planned.

I'm arguing that in this pre-production phase, no new character slots were given to star fox, and Krystal was not planned as an alternate costume for Wolf, Falco, or Fox.

I maintain that the case is entirely different and the precedent is invalid.

As for your fist point, I said the series had not seen a new game in 8 years. Sure, they had a re-release, they got some attention from Nintendo, but that's nothing near the caliber of a new game, and certainly didn't revitalize the franchise, which is what it sounds like you're saying with the phrase "new found relevance". I stand by the statement I made, and that the re-release of a 64 game was not enough to bring the series back into the spotlight.
I do agree that what you intend to assert is objective fact; however, if we are to analyze the logic, there is definitive precedent that thoroughly establishes that "slots" are not relevant to Sakurai. The circumstances surrounding such should be taken into consideration, of course. But that does not materially alter the "fact of the matter."

Indeed, she was planned as a character. :troll:

No. That is adhering to confirmation bias.

It depends on the definition of "new" game which is subjective. Either way, if your point was not that the series is eight years dormant, I fail to see what rationale you are trying to illuminate. Star Fox HAS a new-game planned, one that Sakurai was most certainly aware of. I would also argue that Sakurai intended to revive the series himself. So at the very least, the consideration for a new game would materially alter the fact of the matter in the same vein as the point you are advocating for, would it not?

I did not proclaim that it revitalized the series, I quite literally stated that it gave the game (Star Fox 64) new-found relevance.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I do agree that what you intend to assert is objective fact; however, if we are to analyze the logic, there is definitive precedent that thoroughly establishes that "slots" are not relevant to Sakurai. The circumstances surrounding such should be taken into consideration, of course. But that does not materially alter the "fact of the matter."

Indeed, she was planned as a character. :troll:

No. That is adhering to confirmation bias.

It depends on the definition of "new" game which is subjective. Either way, if your point was not that the series is eight years dormant, I fail to see what rationale you are trying to illuminate. Star Fox HAS a new-game planned, one that Sakurai was most certainly aware of. I would also argue that Sakurai intended to revive the series himself. So at the very least, the consideration for a new game would materially alter the fact of the matter in the same vein as the point you are advocating for, would it not?

I did not proclaim that it revitalized the series, I quite literally stated that it gave the game (Star Fox 64) new-found relevance.
While I agree that you can pull apart the semantics of my statements indefinitely, the point I was trying to make was still correct, even if in my statement I may have used words improperly to assert it. Either way, you're being a bit too over-analytical of the different parts of my statements themselves rather than my arguments, and this is turning into more of a grammar/diction discussion than smash.

To me, finding new relevance would revitalize a series. I guess I mis-represented what you said, but not purposely. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but I don't think Star fox 3D did either of those things.

And I don't believe that 2 years ago, Sakurai was aware of a new StarFox game that now is in pre-pre development, is more of a Miyamoto gameplay experiment than a game still, and has yet to be given to a studio. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way we can really find that one out for sure. But I'll agree that if he did know about the new star fox, it could give way to your other points.

Morbi

Scavenger
While I agree that you can pull apart the semantics of my statements indefinitely, the point I was trying to make was still correct, even if in my statement I may have used words improperly to assert it. Either way, you're being a bit too over-analytical of the different parts of my statements themselves rather than my arguments, and this is turning into more of a grammar/diction discussion than smash.

To me, finding new relevance would revitalize a series. I guess I mis-represented what you said, but not purposely. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but I don't think Star fox 3D did either of those things.

And I don't believe that 2 years ago, Sakurai was aware of a new StarFox game that now is in pre-pre development, is more of a Miyamoto gameplay experiment than a game still, and has yet to be given to a studio. Unfortunately I don't think there's a way we can really find that one out for sure. But I'll agree that if he did know about the new star fox, it could give way to your other points.
I suppose it is just a habit of mine, I did not mean to offend you. There is; of course, quite a direct correlation between one's statements and their argument.

I did not realize that the new Star Fox game was in pre-pre development, nevertheless, it is certainly possible that he was aware of Miyamoto's intent to develop a Star Fox game for Wii U. I mean, everyone else was aware of it because he told us! :troll:

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the Cerinians!! (We agreed on this right?)
Go ahead! I don't mind!
thx fellas Ill do my best,

to give one more reasons for why I want Krystal is that it'l show that nintendo acknowledge more Starfox games out side of 64,sure it was a great game but it cant beat the world building style of Assault (its way better then every one sais it is. I'll just keep on hoping for a assault style game from Platinum (a man can dream!)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I suppose it is just a habit of mine, I did not mean to offend you. There is; of course, quite a direct correlation between one's statements and their argument.

I did not realize that the new Star Fox game was in pre-pre development, nevertheless, it is certainly possible that he was aware of Miyamoto's intent to develop a Star Fox game for Wii U. I mean, everyone else was aware of it because he told us! :troll:
Don't worry, I wasn't offended. I know that's a habit of yours, I've seen it, and I just wanted to nip it in the bud before it got in the way of our actual discussion :p

I agree it is still possible that Sakurai knew, but I'd think it unlikely, and I'm not confident we'll ever actually find out xD

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Well the concept for the new Star Fox has been tampered with since Command, so that could be a factor.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Soooooooooooo...... Is the dream dead?
Why would it be? It's not ruined until the game launches or we get a LOL KRZTK ASIST TRPHY update.

Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
hell no! The dream is alive and fighting
These people fear Krystal ...that is all
good from the last couple of post on this tread I couldn't exactly tell....

any way I think one of the biggest problems with argue for Krystal's inclusions has to be the fact that all Star fox reps at this point have been "clones" per say, I fell like this has created some type of precedent within the smash community like we can't see a new rep from Star fox unless their some type of clone of fox. obviously the majority of people on this thread are not in this camp, but I feel like the rest of the smash community has labels the Star fox franchise as simply the "space animal" part of smash and any change (ala Krystal) from their formula just dose not seem likely or possible to most.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wasn't trying to kill the dream. I just fear for Krystal.

I do hope for her.
Personally I hope she's not unless we've got a massive roster (like almost 60 characters if we have no more than 3 cuts). There's a lot of characters I'd rather have over Krystal. But if Krystal is in, I'd love that, too, so it wouldn't bother me if she did make it.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Think of it this way: Krystal HAS outlasted a ton of orher worthy candidates. There's something.

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't trying to kill the dream. I just fear for Krystal. I do hope for her.
Personally I hope she's not unless we've got a massive roster (like almost 60 characters if we have no more than 3 cuts). There's a lot of characters I'd rather have over Krystal. But if Krystal is in, I'd love that, too, so it wouldn't bother me if she did make it.
thats nice to hear, honestly the franchise as a whole has a lot of growing to do and a set style outside of 64 hasn't really been established with it yet, granted it's probably one of the better known old nintendo franchises so while Krystal may not be likely I definitely don't believe she's been forgotten.

Think of it this way: Krystal HAS outlasted a ton of other worthy candidates. There's something.
this, aside from Krystal I only think 3 other characters show signs of being newcomers that being Dixie, Isaac, and Ridley. all 4 have either been hinted at, requested a ton or have actually been in development as a character at one point, so If I had to every bet on 4 remaining newcomers it would be those 4 and theres no reason we shouldn't support all 4 because quite frankly they all deserve a shot, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
thats nice to hear, honestly the franchise as a whole has a lot of growing to do and a set style outside of 64 hasn't really been established with it yet, granted it's probably one of the better known old nintendo franchises so while Krystal may not be likely I definitely don't believe she's been forgotten.

this, aside from Krystal I only think 3 other characters show signs of being newcomers that being Dixie, Isaac, and Ridley. all 4 have either been hinted at, requested a ton or have actually been in development as a character at one point, so If I had to every bet on 4 remaining newcomers it would be those 4 and theres no reason we shouldn't support all 4 because quite frankly they all deserve a shot, at least in my opinion.
Finally someone who thinks so as well. Why fight each other? We must work together. Lol
So many people here. :D

Last edited:

Shadow312

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shadzcat
No, we saw a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. There are more characters than Chorus Men in Rhythm Heaven, you know. Many of whom have far more prominent roles.

As for the Lucina debate... yes, it does hint we may have more characters. I just still think there's a ton of characters lined up in front of Krystal who will probably get in before her.
The fact rhythm heaven is even included is my point

Top Bottom