• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Gotta admit evidence ain't pointing positively.

Also, no mention of further DLC and remember for each DLC they might need to make an Amiibo and they're expensive to build. Smash is gonna be the flagship for Amiibo, and I'm positive with incredibly rare exception every last character's getting a figure. If DLC follows the same policy, I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo is all they're running with.
This is exactly the way I was looking at it. The evidence suggests that it isn't positive indeed.

Here's the additional edit for those who haven't seen it, though:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it how people were sharing condolences with us back when Krystal was "disconfirmed" as a character due to the old trophy leak. Of course, as it stands, she's no longer disconfirmed, she's just completely unknown. This is speaking for Smash.

I wonder...

Would they be able to share condolences if Krystal was completely written out of the series? Probably not! They've probably never faced such a daunting possibility!

Oh the irony! To imagine Krystal's fate could very well extend beyond Smash Brothers! Hah!

. . .

And yet...

If you really want to know...

I do have an explanation for Krystal's absence if she truly is DLC. However, this would require the unusual Star Fox 64 3D representation of the Orbital Gate Stage to be strictly related to Star Fox 64 3D, and not Star Fox Wii U.

If this is the case, her absence doesn't hurt her chances even in light of this evidence.

However, the major draw-back is the massive lack of Star Fox: Adventures representation in Smash Brothers. In fact, there's nothing in Smash Brothers that has ever represented Star Fox: Adventures.

Though...

It could be argued that Krystal and her staff would be the perfect thing to fill the gap in Star Fox representation.

It's a dreadful shame that not many people see this...

But...

I've already said that I refuse to support speculation, from now on.

I'll let you guys entertain this idea, if you wish.
As for the possibility above, here's the most damning thing that points against it happening:

Ironically enough, the evidence I just linked was in front of us for a long time now. Of course, at the time, no one would have suspected that it potentially referenced the current development for Star Fox. We were all pretty much drunk on speculation...

After all...

Smash Brothers tends to represent franchises from their most recent appearance. Yes, even Duck Hunt follows this pattern. His most recent appearance before Sm4sh was back in the old NES days.

We can't say that Star Fox: Command has no representation either. Fox and Falco's fighter designs are based off of Command. There's also a new song that includes "Missile Slip Stream", which is from Command.

However, we all know that Command isn't the most recent Star Fox game. Star Fox 64 3D is. From this, I suppose it makes sense to have the cast from Star Fox 64 3D represent an Assault stage--as twisted and maniacal as that may seem. It would certainly explain Krystal's absence without hinting towards her as DLC as well, because she wasn't in Star Fox 64 3D.
If they truly mixed and matched Star Fox 64 3D with the Orbital Gate reenactment due to recency, Krystal's only chance as DLC with her staff would be as pure standalone DLC.

For me, it unfortunately would not make sense for her to use her staff if she were to be used as DLC to market Star Fox Wii U. What are the chances that the staff will appear in Star Fox Wii U anyways?

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
somebody mentioned that it was weird how Fox and Falco where not in the video as playable characters with the codec calls. Maybe there is still more codec calls on that stage and Gamexplain is hiding information from us because Nintendo made them sign a deal.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
somebody mentioned that it was weird how Fox and Falco where not in the video as playable characters with the codec calls. Maybe there is still more codec calls on that stage and Gamexplain is hiding information from us because Nintendo made them sign a deal.
It's not out of the realm of possibility, but you won't see me entertain the idea.

I've entertained far too many ideas that ended up leaving me disappointed.

I don't want to overextend my speculation again.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hello I am far from being a regular here, I dropped by after watching the codecs an noticing Krystal missing, I read the last 2 pages and honestly you have impresed me other threads in the comunity are like "it doesn't matter if Sakurai already deconfirmed it I still believe it is going to be in game!!!", but you are actually having an interesting debate with both sides of the coin being considered in equal terms, I have to congratulate you for trying to be as objetive as posible.

Well since I am here already I might as well give you my opinion or point of view on the matter.

I am not sure if Krystal is going to be DLC or not but I can say it is either her or Wolf but not both and the reasoning behind this is have you released how much time are we waiting to get MEWTWO?? at the time of the Extravaganza it was like a little less than 5 months (if my memory is right) and we are talking about Mewtwo a preexisting veteran from Melee which despite some adjustements has an already existing movepool.

5 months for a character with an existing movepool and maybe more if Mewtwo is not released on March, what are the odds Nintendo or Sakurai want to release both Wolf and Krystal as DLC??? if we are getting a character every 5 months??? even if they release DLC for 4 years I don't see Star Fox getting 2 in that amount of time.

The problem becames bigger if they are planning original character DLC because then they will have to work sometime on the moveset. If this is proven to be really time consuming then we might have to wait more than 5 months depending on the character. (Even if theorically they are working on moveset since now)

So for me the bigger problem here is having the time rather than if they really want or not, for we all now maybe DLC will be filled with cut veterans and nothing more.

I hope I don't offend anyone here that is not my intention in anyway neither I am saying Krystal has no odds, I just pointing out some people seems to think DLC is a magical non stop production of characters which have yet to be proven true.

For the record I don't think Miyamoto will write out Krystal but I see her getting a new back story, unless we are in that Sonic Boom scenario where Boom doesn't "rewritte" the canon but is a diferent "timeline" or universe all together.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I agree With Burigu
you can't prove or disprove Krystal being in DLC.

However, After seeing a brief clip about the Codecs in the 50 facts about smash I dreaded the day I would see the new Starfox stage Codec and what Krystal would have to say. I was wondering if we would have seen her say something like " I wish I could join the fight...". And that would have greatly hindered the way I feel about her chances but, to see her not appear at all makes me feel like this is the best outcome we could have.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Hello I am far from being a regular here, I dropped by after watching the codecs an noticing Krystal missing, I read the last 2 pages and honestly you have impresed me other threads in the comunity are like "it doesn't matter if Sakurai already deconfirmed it I still believe it is going to be in game!!!", but you are actually having an interesting debate with both sides of the coin being considered in equal terms, I have to congratulate you for trying to be as objetive as posible.

Well since I am here already I might as well give you my opinion or point of view on the matter.

I am not sure if Krystal is going to be DLC or not but I can say it is either her or Wolf but not both and the reasoning behind this is have you released how much time are we waiting to get MEWTWO?? at the time of the Extravaganza it was like a little less than 5 months (if my memory is right) and we are talking about Mewtwo a preexisting veteran from Melee which despite some adjustements has an already existing movepool.

5 months for a character with an existing movepool and maybe more if Mewtwo is not released on March, what are the odds Nintendo or Sakurai want to release both Wolf and Krystal as DLC??? if we are getting a character every 5 months??? even if they release DLC for 4 years I don't see Star Fox getting 2 in that amount of time.

The problem becames bigger if they are planning original character DLC because then they will have to work sometime on the moveset. If this is proven to be really time consuming then we might have to wait more than 5 months depending on the character. (Even if theorically they are working on moveset since now)

So for me the bigger problem here is having the time rather than if they really want or not, for we all now maybe DLC will be filled with cut veterans and nothing more.

I hope I don't offend anyone here that is not my intention in anyway neither I am saying Krystal has no odds, I just pointing out some people seems to think DLC is a magical non stop production of characters which have yet to be proven true.

For the record I don't think Miyamoto will write out Krystal but I see her getting a new back story, unless we are in that Sonic Boom scenario where Boom doesn't "rewritte" the canon but is a diferent "timeline" or universe all together.
Great points.

Really highlights the problem with DLC in Smash. We're probably not going to get much, assuming we get anything at all.

Heck, we could even compare the amount of work required to make Smash characters verses MK8 or Hyrule Warriors characters.

The amount of work to create and balance Smash characters towers over the amount of worked needed to create MK8 and HW characters.

In fact, it's not even really comparable. There are far more implications brought forth by creating a Smash character than a MK8 or HW character.

And thanks for the compliment. Really appreciate it. You're not the first to say something like that about the Krystal thread, by the way. I try my best to consider all the possibilities rather than sulking in how wonderful it would be for the character to get in.

Heck, I remember speculating about how it was possible that Krystal could have been revealed alongside other characters from other franchises--most notably Ridley. Ah, I'm sure some people here remember when I brought up how the old Star Fox/Metroid crossover rumor could have been a newcomer reveal trailer for Sm4sh... Good times...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Not buying Smash Wii U, it's not about Krystal, I am just furious at Sakurai's unprofessional trolling and arrogance, , the guy has incredible bias for his own franchises, how do you explain Dark Pit, and OP Knight, . He pretends to listen to the fans, and the rean reason why characters get in is not because of fan support, it's because Sakurai likes them, He constantly leaves Krystal and K Rool supporters in the dark, he trolls the fans, Chrom was one of those examples, I mean yeah Kojima does it too, but Kojima at least has the decency to be honest, Kojima ignores fan supoort and doesn't pretend to listen , If Sakurai wants to treat the fans like garbage, I won't buy Smash new, I'll buy it used, so that no money goes to Sakurai

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Not buying Smash Wii U, it's not about Krystal, I am just furious at Sakurai's unprofessional trolling and arrogance, , the guy has incredible bias for his own franchises, how do you explain Dark Pit, and OP Knight, . He pretends to listen to the fans, and the rean reason why characters get in is not because of fan support, it's because Sakurai likes them, He constantly leaves Krystal and K Rool supporters in the dark, he trolls the fans, Chrom was one of those examples, I mean yeah Kojima does it too, but Kojima at least has the decency to be honest, Kojima ignores fan supoort and doesn't pretend to listen , If Sakurai wants to treat the fans like garbage, I won't buy Smash new, I'll buy it used, so that no money goes to Sakurai

A lot of these negative implications on fans would be solved if they chose to be more clear about characters earlier on in development.

If a character isn't going to get in, just tell us early. We can take it.

At least that would prevent us from wasting so much time in speculation.

Like I said, not knowing about a specific character is worse than disconfirmation.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

A lot of these negative implications on fans would be solved if they chose to be more clear about characters earlier on in development.

If a character isn't going to get in, just tell us early. We can take it.

At least that would prevent us from wasting so much time in speculation.
Agreed, but Sakurai is a jerk, I've said it before and I'll say it again, his trolling is not funny, unprofessional, and childish. Sakurai is no better than a school class clown , and I refuse to support that, Hideo Kojima may be a troll, but he's nowhere near Sakurai levels of trolling

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

Right.

I feel they choose to leave us in the dark because of business-related reasons.

For instance, they probably foresee that some people would be less interested in buying the game if they knew their most wanted characters weren't getting in.

That's probably why they prefer us to buy the game in mystery too. This way we wonder about the possibility that our most wanted character could still get in. They still make the money. It's kind of like marketing in the 80's and 90's again, before the internet was a huge source of all things information.

In the end, the fans of these certain characters may never get their wish...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo is like a stubborn ol d man that refuses to change and get with the times, the way I see it, if Nintendo or anyone affiliated with them, does anything that angers a fanbase, I WILL go PS4

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Nintendo is like a stubborn ol d man that refuses to change and get with the times, the way I see it, if Nintendo or anyone affiliated with them, does anything that angers a fanbase, I WILL go PS4

Unfortunately, they know how to keep the ends together. That, I give to them.

I crave diversity. I crave diversity and new ideas to be shown in some of these older franchises. No need to limit them, even if they supposedly don't sell as well as the larger franchises.

It's a shame they're not trying new ways to story-tell, or provide gameplay intricacies that breathe new life in franchises like Star Fox.

The treatment of Star Fox in particular is questionable. It seems Miyamoto is working hard to re-create the success of Star Fox from its older days, the days where its success hinged on the advances in hardware technology. They used Star Fox to introduce these hardware technologies, i.e. 3D console games for SNES, and Rumble Pak for N64.

I'm assuming Miyamoto felt he needed to go back to the drawing board for Star Fox, given its dwindling success game after game.

He probably saw that the game sold better in the past, and automatically assumed it was because the older Star Fox games were used to introduce the new hardware technology.

With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Star Fox for Wii U was a game who's gameplay revolves completely around the gimmicky new hardware, i.e. using the Wii U gamepad for a bunch of different reasons.

I don't understand why they can't see that they could just as easily innovate from within the game too. Instead, the game itself is probably going to be very simple, whereas the hardware needed to play the game is going to try too hard to be different. Which, isn't necessarily a good thing.

I know I said I wouldn't extend myself in speculation, much...

Dang it! I just want to know already! I'm beginning to increasingly dislike being left in the dark. Much so that it may influence my decisions as a consumer.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

I crave diversity. I crave diversity and new ideas to be shown in some of these older franchises. No need to limit them, even if they supposedly don't sell as well as the larger franchises.

It's a shame they're not trying new ways to story-tell, or provide gameplay intricacies that breathe new life in franchises like Star Fox.

The treatment of Star Fox in particular is questionable. It seems Miyamoto is working hard to re-create the success of Star Fox from its older days, the days where its success hinged on the advances in hardware technology. They used Star Fox to introduce these hardware technologies, i.e. 3D console games for SNES, and Rumble Pak for N64.

I'm assuming Miyamoto felt he needed to go back to the drawing board for Star Fox, given its dwindling success game after game.

He probably saw that the game sold better in the past, and automatically assumed it was because the older Star Fox games were used to introduce the new hardware technology.

With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Star Fox for Wii U was a game who's gameplay revolves completely around the gimmicky new hardware, i.e. using the Wii U gamepad for a bunch of different reasons.

I don't understand why they can't see that they could just as easily innovate from within the game too. Instead, the game itself is probably going to be very simple, whereas the hardware needed to play the game is going to try too hard to be different. Which, isn't necessarily a good thing.

Dang it! I just want to know already! I'm beginning to increasingly dislike being left in the dark. Much so that it may influence my decisions as a consumer.
That's sad, it really is, Sony doesn't do that,
there's an old saying that works here with Sakurai and Nintendo at large, Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice, shame on me

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Technically Krystal's last appearance was Brawl in 2008. Though she shares Voice actors with Samus but her sound clips were all reused from Brawl. Either they weren't able to get her in or they just cheaped out.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

Well that is true. It does take time for a team to develop characters like this for DLC especially in a game of this magnitude. Which is why I highly doubt that Mewtwo is the only DLC character we're getting for the roster. Getting back into the video regarding about the codecs we recently saw from the Orbital Gate Assault stage, everyone of us was expecting to see at least Krystal be in the codecs. After all, she was part of the mission from Assault and the same goes for the Star Wolf team. But like RandomCities said there, we can't be certain on what to prove or disprove yet whether Krystal and Wolf are written off or not which I very much doubt that they would be killed off from the series for good. That's like killing off Peach and Bowser from the Mario series or Zelda and Ganondorf from the Zelda series. As people should know, Krystal and Wolf are in the same merits that the other characters I mentioned have. Krystal is Fox's love interest and Wolf is the villain/rival. You can't have a Starfox game without these two and they have appeared in more screen time in the SF series than any other SF character like Bill or Katt.

But there are things that Sakurai has disappointed me on. As we know, he somehow has lost his touch with his fans completely in Smash 4. His biaseness for this game is what I kind of hate him the most on. Sorry for my frustration and this is not about Krystal at all, this is about the way how he has made most of the franchises in the roster like Starfox, DK, Metroid and even Zelda to be overshadowed with not that much content. I mean, come on Smash Bros is supposed to be a series where it is supposed to be a celebration to all the main franchises from the roster who are in there and what do we get? The opposite here in every way you couldn't possibly imagine. As mentioned before, look at Kid Icarus(love the series), he overflowed everything from that series in this game which kind of bothered me a bit. There is a fine difference here between representing a franchise and overdoing and unfortunately he overdid it and Dark Pit wasn't even necessary at all as a standalone character. This is Smash Bros, Sakurai, not Kid Icarus 2.0 . Even the Kirby series that Sakurai himself created gets little treatment in this game. Quite painful and sad to say the least. Now we jump into the Mario series(another series that I love and am a fan of). Really Sakurai? 8 characters in there from that series? Instead of calling this game Super Smash Bros. 4, why not call it as Mario and Smash All Stars? Anyway, all of this proves that Sakurai's methods of trolling with people is very unprofessional and immature to the community when it comes to Smash. Even though that this game is going to be great and all and I'm still getting it since I preordered it. But I'm not doing this for Sakurai. This is on my own terms of getting this game to just unwind and have some fun to let out all that frustration of everyday life that we all get.

Anyway, I don't think that this will be the last Smash Bros. game. But once we get the next Smash Bros. game for the next-gen console after the Wii U, what I'm about to say may be the best for all of us, the Smash community and to the fans. Since Sakurai has been having problems with his arm that he has experienced pains while working on a series like Smash Bros, I think it would be best that he steps down and hands over the franchise to someone else at Nintendo who not only knows the source material and gameplay down to the last detail, but at the same time to one who would truly listen to all the fans both American and Japanese audience(like listening to the fanbases of what characters people would like to see in the roster which is a major concern) and that way Sakurai can be able to work on some other games that isn't Smash Bros at all and revisit some IPs from Nintendo like what he did with Kid Icarus Uprising. It's funny that Uprising was originally going to be a Starfox game that he was going to develop. Who knows? He may still plan to do it down the road in the future which is not out of the question. Anyway, at least he should be aware that Miyamoto is currently working on Starfox Wii U and the good thing for us guys is that we are finally getting one next year along with the new Zelda after such a long time of waiting. After all, Nintendo is making a really big deal with it. Besides, I'm treating the remake of Starfox 64 on the 3DS the same way as Zelda Ocarina of Time was on the 3DS which is a remake. Now some people claim that the new game coming up next year is a reboot or a remake. I don't think that it's any of those 2 at all. I'm very certain that it is a brand new entry in the series which I doubt that Miyamoto would write Krystal off and the same goes for Wolf. He and Nintendo are aware that there is a huge fanbase for these characters and if they write them off for good, that would cause an uproar in the Starfox community. Otherwise, we wouldn't have seen them at all in the series and not even in Brawl with their trophies, their codecs and the same goes for their trophies once again in the 3DS version of Smash 4. For Krystal, like I said before, from what we saw of her so far, it shows that Nintendo still acknowledges her as part of the series officially which makes even more doubtful of Miyamoto killing her off. I even remember that when Miyamoto showed the demo to certain members of the public during E3 2014, that there was a mode where you went up against Star Wolf. It's a safe bet that both Wolf and Krystal will be back in SF Wii U for sure. Otherwise, we would have known that they were killed off. But as we all know, Nintendo has that tendency to keep fans in the dark no matter what franchise it is and reveal info when the time is right. So I'm not surprised at that. But I doubt that they are gone. If we're really lucky, we may get both Wolf and Krystal as DLC for Smash 4 for sure

Overall, as for DLC, I'm certain that we'll get more than just Mewtwo for the roster and still up with the choices of characters that I would like for the roster who are Wolf, Lucas, Krystal, Impa and King K. Rool or Dixie Kong to be fair to the fans. Until then we have to remain patient for the DLC content after all and let's be happy that we're getting SF Wii U in 2015(Remember what Miyamoto said of being the Year of Starfox). As for the conversations, I have a feeling that there is more to it than what we have seen from the video that Gamexplain posted so far. So no matter what happens, being the SF fan I am, I will continue to show my support for Krystal(since she is my favorite SF character) in and out of both Smash Bros. and Starfox.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I wonder if they stuck the 64 actors in a box so they would loose them again.
No way to know. Nintendo will never tell us why they did this.

I pointed out that it is possible they used the Star Fox 64 3D cast to reenact the Orbital Gate Mission, nothing more. It's possibly because Star Fox 64 3D was the most recent Star Fox game.

"Yes... Of course...

It was all coming down to this all along...

It all makes sense now..."

It makes sense for the Orbital Gate stage codecs to be a reenactment of the mission from Star Fox Assault. It's just been the CURRENT Star Fox team's REENACTMENT of the Assault mission all along... Nothing more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, behold! The CURRENT STAR FOX TEAM! A.K.A. The team that WILL APPEAR FOR STAR FOX WII U!

I mean COME ON! THIS IS RICH!

Beltino Toad and Wolf don't make appearances either! It was one of the most engaging missions written on Star Fox Assault, and what do they do? WHAT DO THEY DO?!

THEY BUTCHER THE REPRESENTATION!

HA HA HA HA HA!!!...
I'm sensing in the near future, a lot of pissed off Star Fox fans for the Star Fox Wii U game if what you say is true TheRandomCities4. Hopefully it means possible DLC for both Krystal and Wolf in the near future.

In the past, I've constantly defended possibility and speculation because Smash 4 was before the fact. However, everything I ever speculated about for Smash 4 in this thread was proven false. This thread is riddled with the documentation for your reference.

I've decided to cut the bull****. Now that the game is after the fact, I'm defending the evidence we have.

. . .

Ironically enough, the evidence I just linked was in front of us for a long time now. Of course, at the time, no one would have suspected that it potentially referenced the current development for Star Fox. We were all pretty much drunk on speculation...

After all...

Smash Brothers tends to represent franchises from their most recent appearance. Yes, even Duck Hunt follows this pattern. His most recent appearance before Sm4sh was back in the old NES days.

We can't say that Star Fox: Command has no representation either. Fox and Falco's fighter designs are based off of Command. There's also a new song that includes "Missile Slip Stream", which is from Command.

However, we all know that Command isn't the most recent Star Fox game. Star Fox 64 3D is. From this, I suppose it makes sense to have the cast from Star Fox 64 3D represent an Assault stage--as twisted and maniacal as that may seem. It would certainly explain Krystal's absence without hinting towards her as DLC as well, because she wasn't in Star Fox 64 3D.

At any rate...

It all comes down to the evidence, especially now that the game is almost out. We had nothing to go off of at the time, other than what we were given. With what we were given, we were led to speculate about things unknown, such as Krystal's chances of being in Sm4sh. They spoon fed us little tidbits of information at a time.

Evidence really has been everything. For instance, when Sakurai said "both rosters would be the same in both versions", he was telling the truth. I assumed he might have been using deceptive wording on the possibility that Wii U transferable characters would still satiate what he said. And it would have, with a marketing flourish.

I was foolish to assume Nintendo was that resourceful... I was foolish to assume the unexpected.

Which reminds me...

Why are people assuming we will even have any DLC characters beyond Mewtwo? We have no evidence that suggests this. I have a feeling the hype got to everyone's head. Without evidence that there will be more characters, I refuse to believe in DLC. It needs to be said from Nintendo's mouth.

In the 50 Fact Extravaganza, they only said that Mewtwo will be a free download to those who buy both versions. They never said anything about additional characters.

For that matter, they never even clarified what Mewtwo's position would be if you only own one version of Sm4sh. Lots of people are assuming you'll be able to purchase him for that one version that you own. How can we be so sure?

Sure, you could argue that many recent Nintendo games have been receiving multiple characters as DLC.

However...

That doesn't reduce the fact that it's still an assumption.

I seriously doubt this orbital gate thing is any bad news, if anything it's making her and wolf more likely.

I said the same thing a while back. I said it would have been too obvious if they included Krystal and if she were to have a higher quality model than Slippy and Peppy. It would have been her fighter model. It's much the same way with Fox and Falco; their models are already higher quality than Slippy and Peppy's. It's like comparing a fighter model to a trophy model.

At the time, I was ecstatic. You can go back and see for yourself--though I'm sure you remember. I was ecstatic about the idea of Krystal not appearing because of the possibility of Wii U transferable characters.

But...

As one of the original theorists of the idea of transferable characters, I handed down its verdict upon revelation of the recent video that was made private. It showed that Duck Hunt was truly the final unlockable character on the Wii U version, following with the all-too-familiar message:

"Congratulations, you've unlocked all the fighters!"

The verdict of the theory?

"Not Guilty."

And all these people saying that there is even a chance Krystal won't be in the new StarFox game? They need to grow up, there's no way in hell Krystal will ever miss a StarFox game.

Are you sure you want to suggest this? Where's the evidence? All that I have found points to the exact opposite conclusion.

You'd be wise not to let any potential biases cloud your judgement. Nintendo may have a sort-of sound track record when we look at Krystal's appearances throughout Star Fox, but that doesn't mean they can't write her out.

I'm not saying that I support it though. I'm asking for evidence.

I'm also asking for clarity from Nintendo. However, they profit off the notion of leaving their fans in the dark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it how people were sharing condolences with us back when Krystal was "disconfirmed" as a character due to the old trophy leak. Of course, as it stands, she's no longer disconfirmed, she's just completely unknown. This is speaking for Smash.

I wonder...

Would they be able to share condolences if Krystal was completely written out of the series? Probably not! They've probably never faced such a daunting possibility!

Oh the irony! To imagine Krystal's fate could very well extend beyond Smash Brothers! Hah!

. . .

And yet...

If you really want to know...

I do have an explanation for Krystal's absence if she truly is DLC. However, this would require the unusual Star Fox 64 3D representation of the Orbital Gate Stage to be strictly related to Star Fox 64 3D, and not Star Fox Wii U.

If this is the case, her absence doesn't hurt her chances even in light of this evidence.

However, the major draw-back is the massive lack of Star Fox: Adventures representation in Smash Brothers. In fact, there's nothing in Smash Brothers that has ever represented Star Fox: Adventures.

Though...

It could be argued that Krystal and her staff would be the perfect thing to fill the gap in Star Fox representation.

It's a dreadful shame that not many people see this...

But...

I've already said that I refuse to support speculation, from now on.

I'll let you guys entertain this idea, if you wish.
At any rate, it's improper representation. Krystal, Wolf, and Beltino Toad all had lines in that mission. I see no reason not to use them, unless you're trying to make the statement that this is going to be the cast for Star Fox Wii U. In which case Krystal would have been written out of the series. No idea about Wolf or Beltino though.

To be honest, that scares me.

But, for the possible reasons I provided here:

...it could be that Miyamoto wants to drastically change the series, which may include the writing out of one or more characters. The math adds up soundly, as unfortunate as it may seem.

I really wish this weren't possible, but I can't argue that because it may still happen.

We as fans of Star Fox are in quite the predicament:

Either use these characters in the codec and suggest that they aren't playable in Smash 4,

OR...

Don't use these characters in the codec and suggest they may not even appear in Star Fox Wii U due to Smash representation on how Star Fox is, currently. Key word being "currently".

Choose your poison.

. . .

There is a third option. That is for Nintendo to be clear with what they have planned. But, heh...

That's out of your control.

Do you trust Nintendo with this issue?

It's been 6 years since Alesia Glidewell provided a unique voice for Krystal.

Her voice clips for Zero Suit Samus were reused from Brawl. This means Nintendo has not pulled her in for voice recording in Smash 4, yet they still credit her name due to the voice clips nonetheless.

More shockingly...

She has stated in a couple of interviews that she hasn't voiced for Krystal recently, and admits that she would have to get back into the swing of things before she could muster up an accurate voice impression for Krystal--she didn't want to dissapoint the interviewer with an inaccurate impression. This interview was back in February, this year.

As we know, the new Star Fox game has been in the works for quite some time. Roughly 7 years now. When would they need to use the voices for the new game? I understand from a lot of projects, such as cartoons, that voices are often one of the last parts of production. I have no idea about videogames, though. The E3 demo has given us no information about Krystal. We have no idea where Krystal stands.

There's a saying about omitting something that's popular or strong:

"The only door out is the back door."

They'd have to "back door" Krystal, or blindside her from the series to get away with the occurance. This is because the action would have been after the fact, thus preventing fans' interferance before the fact.

I'd say Krystal is looking to be on thin ice. The evidence is stacking against her favor.

Like I said, I really wish this weren't the case, but I must side with the evidence.

I'm not just speaking on behalf of the Krystal supporters when I say this, but...

WHY MUST WE BE LEFT IN THE DARK!?

. . .

I understand there are many people who are excited about the possibility of DLC. I'm not, however, and it's not for reasons you may suspect.

See, in the past, when characters weren't shown to be in when the game was released, they were considered to be outright disconfirmed. Now, thanks to DLC, the possibility of their inclusion is theoretically extended by infinity.

If a character is never mentioned, and they're not disconfirmed, they're left completely in the dark. At least, for the duration of the life span of Smash 4...

However many years that may be, I don't know.

I'm worried about the implications this would have on the fans in the future of Smash...

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Now its better :)
I have to admit, Krystal would make sense to be used alongside a virtual console re-release of Adventures. Though, it probably hasn't aged well...

Other than that, I'm not sure how using Krystal as DLC alongside Star Fox Wii U, assuming she's to use the staff in Smash, would work. Franchise implications, perhaps?

Not sure what to think right now.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Basically, we have no proof in either direction. We need more information.

There are still a lot of questions worth looking into, though. While we do know Mewtwo will take until spring to be ready, how do we know he's the only character being worked on? While character creation and balance is a very complicated process, we know from MK8 that Nintendo is willing to go all out with DLC. It is possible that they could work on multiple DLC characters at a time, assembly-line-style.

I also don't see how Krystal's absence from the Orbital Gate codec we've seen automatically means she's been retconned out. We know from previous Smash games that Star Fox series codecs have changed before depending on which of its characters are fighting. That one played when neither Fox nor Falco were in battle...and we have no idea what could change if they are. Besides, doesn't the fact that Wolf is also MIA despite also being a part of that mission in Assault raise some questions?

Let's not lose our heads yet.

Also, whoa, I didn't think I'd see @ False Sense False Sense around here. What brings you to this neck of the forums?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

There are still a lot of questions worth looking into, though. While we do know Mewtwo will take until spring to be ready, how do we know he's the only character being worked on? While character creation and balance is a very complicated process, we know from MK8 that Nintendo is willing to go all out with DLC. It is possible that they could work on multiple DLC characters at a time, assembly-line-style.

I also don't see how Krystal's absence from the Orbital Gate codec we've seen automatically means she's been retconned out. We know from previous Smash games that Star Fox series codecs have changed before depending on which of its characters are fighting. That one played when neither Fox nor Falco were in battle...and we have no idea what could change if they are. Besides, doesn't the fact that Wolf is also MIA despite being also a part of that mission in Assault raise some questions?

Also, whoa, I didn't think I'd see @ False Sense False Sense around here. What brings you to this neck of the forums?
I heard talk that Krystal was one of the most likely DLC characters. I wanted to see what the basis of that claim was.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I heard talk that Krystal was one of the most likely DLC characters. I wanted to see what the basis of that claim was.
There's no proof for ANY character being DLC, I don't know why you're looking for proof specifically for Krystal. Some consider her likely because:

1. Wolf is cut
2. Her moveset is more unique than Wolf's current moveset (Which seems to be important this time around)
3. Most people generally agree a SF character is a shoe in

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

I also don't see how Krystal's absence from the Orbital Gate codec we've seen automatically means she's been retconned out. We know from previous Smash games that Star Fox series codecs have changed before depending on which of its characters are fighting. That one played when neither Fox nor Falco were in battle...and we have no idea what could change if they are. Besides, doesn't the fact that Wolf is also MIA despite being also a part of that mission in Assault raise some questions?

You took the words right out of my mouth. We can't be certain until otherwise. I'm certain Mewtwo isn't the only DLC character we're getting. Also I doubt they'll get rid of Wolf and Krystal just because of what we saw in the codecs from the video I saw. Surely there's more than what we saw. So let's stay patient guys.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
You know what I'm gonna tell you this nintendo is probally the best ****ing company of the three oh sony does this ok have fun being hacked and btw you should know it doesn't have any good new games. But your choice. Sorry about snapping at you I've had to deal with pissed of gta 5 fans (yes they have taken shots at ssb4) but onto krystal.
Generally right now I'm not sure whether to lose hope or go for one last speculation but with krystals voice actor M.I.A I won't just yet (unless she got a new voice actor) however I do agree with the fact about dlc....it can only be 1.
So I'll consider working on a speculation for now.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
You know what I'm gonna tell you this nintendo is probally the best ****ing company of the three oh sony does this ok have fun being hacked and btw you should know it doesn't have any good new games. But your choice. Sorry about snapping at you I've had to deal with pissed of gta 5 fans (yes they have taken shots at ssb4) but onto krystal.
Generally right now I'm not sure whether to lose hope or go for one last speculation but with krystals voice actor M.I.A I won't just yet (unless she got a new voice actor) however I do agree with the fact about dlc....it can only be 1.
So I'll consider working on a speculation for now.
I agreed!
10421105_955482721133749_4469776670289725650_n.jpg

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
Wait, I don't think they excluded Krystal and Wolf. In the codes, Fox and Falco were in the arwings. Maybe we should wait and see what the codecs are when Fox and Falco are fighting? :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wait, I don't think they excluded Krystal and Wolf. In the codes, Fox and Falco were in the arwings. Maybe we should wait and see what the codecs are when Fox and Falco are fighting? :)
Here's the thing, though. The Arwings are there no matter what. There's three total Arwings. When there were two, I assumed they were Slippy and Krystal, but then we found out not only are there three, but Fox and Falco are in them... I don't think the conversation will change at this point. If it did, you'd think GameExplain would've posted it. Although the convo doesn't make that much sense if Fox and/or Falco are also outside the Arwings, but they could just ignore it...

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Here's the thing, though. The Arwings are there no matter what. There's three total Arwings. When there were two, I assumed they were Slippy and Krystal, but then we found out not only are there three, but Fox and Falco are in them... I don't think the conversation will change at this point. If it did, you'd think GameExplain would've posted it. Although the convo doesn't make that much sense if Fox and/or Falco are also outside the Arwings, but they could just ignore it...
Not only that, but GameXplain said that was ALL of the Orbital Gate stage codecs as well.

It's just the Star Fox 64 3D cast reenacting the Orbital Gate Mission. Hence their voices.

No Krystal, no Wolf, no Beltino Toad.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
It's strange that even though Fox and Falco weren't playable in that video, the codecs somehow still popped up. That never occurred in the previous Smash entries and the only way you can do it is to enter the secret taunt. Something doesn't add up here. I'll find out when I play as Fox in the Orbital Gate stage once I get the game.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It's strange that even though Fox and Falco weren't playable in that video, the codecs somehow still popped up. That never occurred in the previous Smash entries and the only way you can do it is to enter the secret taunt. Something doesn't add up here. I'll find out when I play as Fox in the Orbital Gate stage once I get the game.
Something I find stange is, in the description of the video, GameXplain stated that these codecs are a result from a pound or smash taunt.

However, the codecs start up IMMEDIATELY as the match starts. How does that add up? There's not enough time to perform a smash taunt.

I hope they didn't just copy/paste part of the description from Palutena's Guidances on accident. That could mean that the codecs are randomly forced on you when you try to play the regular Orbital Gate stage...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not only that, but GameXplain said that was ALL of the Orbital Gate stage codecs as well.

It's just the Star Fox 64 3D cast reenacting the Orbital Gate Mission. Hence their voices.

No Krystal, no Wolf, no Beltino Toad.
Funny thing is, though, Wolf should still be able to appear in that stage because he WAS in Star Fox 3D.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
In the Orbital Gate mission on Starfox Assault, Wolf doesn't show up until after missiles 1-4 appear. Seeing that there where only two missiles in the Smash Bros stage they probably want us to assume those were the first two missiles launched in the attack, thus, Wolf would not have shown up yet. That's also probably why you don't see any Wolfens in the Background of the stage.

Seeing that all the other voices that Alesia Glidewell (Krystal's voice actor in Assault and Brawl codecs) provided such as Zero Suit Samus and Knuckle Joe are reused from Brawl, they probably didn't want to go out of their way to recast her or anyone else, so Krystal was just left out despite the fact that she was there from beginning to end.

If you remember, while Wolf and Leon did appear in Starfox 64 Panther did not. So in order to avoid recasting or bringing back Panther's voice actor they just cut the entire Starwolf team out, which is a bit more understandable since Wolf didn't initially appear in that level. They also probably didn't want to include Wolf because it would only pour more salt on the wounds of his fans.

However, not including Krystal is the real crime here! Krystal was with Fox through out the entire game of Starfox Assault and, it makes me upset that they should know that Krystal's absence would be a blatant slap to the faces of her fans!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
In the Orbital Gate mission on Starfox Assault, Wolf doesn't show up until after missiles 1-4 appear. Seeing that there where only two missiles in the Smash Bros stage they probably want us to assume those were the first two missiles launched in the attack, thus, Wolf would not have shown up yet. That's also probably why you don't see any Wolfens in the Background of the stage.

Seeing that all the other voices that Alesia Glidewell (Krystal's voice actor in Assault and Brawl codecs) provided such as Zero Suit Samus and Knuckle Joe are reused from Brawl, they probably didn't want to go out of their way to recast her or anyone else, so Krystal was just left out despite the fact that she was there from beginning to end.

If you remember, while Wolf and Leon did appear in Starfox 64 Panther did not. So in order to avoid recasting or bringing back Panther's voice actor they just cut the entire Starwolf team out, which is a bit more understandable since Wolf didn't initially appear in that level. They also probably didn't want to include Wolf because it would only pour more salt on the wounds of his fans.

However, not including Krystal is the real crime here! Krystal was with Fox through out the entire game of Starfox Assault and, it makes me upset that they should know that Krystal's absence would be a blatant slap to the faces of her fans!

. . .

@ XenothiumX XenothiumX , do you realize what you are suggesting with this post?

Firstly, you've pointed out that Wolf's absence can be explained, regardless of whether or not they're casting the reenactment with Star Fox 64 3D characters. Like you said, Wolf did not appear until after the fourth missile is destroyed in the mission.

However...

What you are suggesting doesn't concern Wolf at all. After all, in all possibile explanations for the codec that we have, his absence can also be explained.

Instead, it concerns Krystal.

Essentially, you're suggesting that Krystal's chances now only exist in the two extremes--whether she's going to be outright DLC in Smash 4, or that she's written out of the series. Nothing in-between.

. . .

Allow me to explain.

See, a few posts ago, I described how Smash Brothers has been historically understood to represent where each franchise stands based on their most recent installations. For Star Fox, this is Star Fox 64 3D.

For a while, I was using that logic to explain Krystal's absence alone. I hadn't considered Wolf's importance on the codec matter.

However, @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman reminded me that Wolf appeared in Star Fox 64 3D. Of course, I knew Wolf was in Star Fox 64 3D because I knew it was a remake of Star Fox 64.

However...

It was such a basic, intuitive, and presumed fact that I hadn't taken the time to add two and two together. Of course! Wolf should be there too, because of that, right?

Wrong.

What you just said, @ XenothiumX XenothiumX , you gave us a possible explanation for Wolf's absence, even if we're taking into consideration that the Star Fox 64 3D cast might be reenacting the Orbital Gate stage mission from Star Fox Assault.

. . .

And there's the connection

We have all been confused as to why they'd mix and match both SF 64 3D and SF:A in such a misrepresentative manner.

That's just the thing!

If they're mixing and matching the games, it doesn't matter! This is Smash--logic doesn't necessarily apply entirely.

So...

There should be no average reason to not include Krystal in the codec, even after considering all of the above.

The question becomes:

Why did they not include Krystal?

. . .

While you attempt to answer that question, let me remind you that Smash Brothers typically represents the current appearance of the series--but Star Fox may have disregarded this normality by mixing both games.

I can only think of two reasons:

1. They want to write Krystal out of the series.

2. They're saving her for DLC, or for some other reason.

It could be said that Wolf actually applies to this as well, considering his absence. But, the possibility that Nintendo might have considered the time that Wolf normally appears on the SF:A mission is what sets him apart from Krystal.

After all, Krystal has appeared at the beginning of the mission.

Why provide an inaccurate representation if you're even mixing both of the games together? There should be no average reason.

I don't remember any of the other franchises in Smash Brothers ever encountering this issue before.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I can't be the only one wondering why there are so many Phoenix Wright posts, right?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The pageantry of rping as an ace attorney character is not necessary, but people on Smashboards do it strangely frequently.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Sakurai has poured enough salt on Wolf and star fox fans, I'd say he bring back Wolf and add in Krystal as DLC!

Top Bottom