• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I remember. Sakurai was originally going to make a new Starfox game on the 3DS at that time. But it became Kid Icarus Uprising instead. Who knows? He may still do a new entry for SF in the future in collaboration with Miyamoto. But right now, we'll have to deal with the new entry for SF Wii U that Miyamoto is working on and that is great. Hopefully Sakurai knows that there is a huge fanbase for Krystal and there have been people who have been wanting her in the game as a playable character since Brawl. Because I do remember that during a poll when Brawl was in development, she was the most requested female character to be playable in Brawl. But now that SSB4 is going to have DLC for the first time after the Mewtwo reveal, this opens up good chances for some of the characters fans want to see come in whether it is newcomer and veteran in order to keep the game running for several more years until the next Smash game for the next-gen console. However, imagine if Miyamoto would have requested to Sakurai to include Krystal in there for SSB4 as DLC later on. What do you guys think on that?
I have an issue with the DLC, though. It's for the very reason Mewtwo was revealed alone that I did NOT get excited--and it's NOT because I'm against Mewtwo being in. No. He's actually in my top 10 most wanted.

However...

Seeing Mewtwo alone is making me assume that the rest of the DLC will be just for veterans, those who were cut (not including Ivysaur and Squirtle for obvious reasons), and those lost since Melee.

Honestly, I'm hoping I'm wrong. However, I won't believe otherwise until Nintendo PROVES me wrong by showing a NEWCOMER as DLC.

EDIT: Right now, I'm more worried than ever for Krystal's inclusion.

Let's be honest, there's NO WAY Krystal could beat Wolf in a popularity-for-Smash contest, especially since Wolf has been in Smash before.

And guess what? Wolf got cut.

Ergo, Wolf and Krystal will be competing with each other as DLC. I don't see both characters getting in, knowing Nintendo.

What hope does Krystal have in beating Wolf? I'm almost considering throwing in the towel, at this point.

DLC is the last bastion for characters getting in Smash 4. All other options have been missed, including the Wii U transferability (supposedly, this option is still unkown--but we were assuming that Nintendo would have shown us this during the Wii U 50 fact extavaganza).

My dream would be to have both Wolf and Krystal in Smash. Why must the Star Fox support base be divided between Wolf OR Krystal?

Divided, we fall.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wolf has a template to go off of which works against Krystal but could end up helping her. If one character has a basis to go off of then that would free up some of the team to try and make a new character. Whether they'd want to double up the Star fox push, that's another matter.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I have an issue with the DLC, though. It's for the very reason Mewtwo was revealed alone that I did NOT get excited--and it's NOT because I'm against Mewtwo being in. No. He's actually in my top 10 most wanted.

However...

Seeing Mewtwo alone is making me assume that the rest of the DLC will be just for veterans, those who were cut (not including Ivysaur and Squirtle for obvious reasons), and those lost since Melee.

Honestly, I'm hoping I'm wrong. However, I won't believe otherwise until Nintendo PROVES me wrong by showing a NEWCOMER as DLC.

EDIT: Right now, I'm more worried than ever for Krystal's inclusion.

Let's be honest, there's NO WAY Krystal could beat Wolf in a popularity-for-Smash contest, especially since Wolf has been in Smash before.

And guess what? Wolf got cut.

Ergo, Wolf and Krystal will be competing with each other as DLC. I don't see both characters getting in, knowing Nintendo.

What hope does Krystal have in beating Wolf? I'm almost considering throwing in the towel, at this point.

DLC is the last bastion for characters getting in Smash 4. All other options have been missed, including the Wii U transferability (supposedly, this option is still unkown--but we were assuming that Nintendo would have shown us this during the Wii U 50 fact extavaganza).

My dream would be to have both Wolf and Krystal in Smash. Why must the Star Fox support base be divided between Wolf OR Krystal?

Divided, we fall.
But 2015 is the year of star fox, having them both in is a possibility

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
But 2015 is the year of star fox, having them both in is a possibility
You have a point. Maybe have Wolf revealed along-side the game, and have Krystal when the game comes out. I can see "Pre-Order StarFox Wii U at your local Best Buy and receive a promotional code to download Wolf for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS" and "Register StarFox Wii U and receive Krystal as a playable character in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS"

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
But Miyamoto said it would be the year of Starfox... Was it ever confirmed that this would be a true thing ?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You have a point. Maybe have Wolf revealed along-side the game, and have Krystal when the game comes out. I can see "Pre-Order StarFox Wii U at your local Best Buy and receive a promotional code to download Wolf for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS" and "Register StarFox Wii U and receive Krystal as a playable character in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS"
That would be awesome, but I'd rather have it a bit easier.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
That would be awesome, but I'd rather have it a bit easier.
For instance, both characters available by buying Star Fox Wii U. Later on, they can become available via e-shop purchase (or something of the sort) for those who do not purchase Star Fox Wii U.

Would be cool, but I have lingering doubts despite 2015 being the supposed year of Star Fox.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That actually sounds like a good idea, but at the same time, I think that Wolf could be DLC, with pre orderers getting first getting first access to him, and Krystal would be similar
For instance, both characters available by buying Star Fox Wii U. Later on, they can become available via e-shop purchase (or something of the sort) for those who do not purchase Star Fox Wii U.

Would be cool, but I have lingering doubts despite 2015 being the supposed year of Star Fox.
Miyamoto is a trustworthy source, it depends on what context he used, if it was from Wikipedia or 4chan, then I'd be worried, and whether he was kidding around or not

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Miyamoto is a trustworthy source, it depends on what context he used, if it was from Wikipedia or 4chan, then I'd be worried, and whether he was kidding around or not
It seems my context was misunderstood. I'm not referring to the legitimacy of the source--I know 2015 is the year of Star Fox, according to Miyamoto.

I'm referring to the influence of Star Fox within the year of 2015. When I said "supposed", I was questioning how involved Star Fox will be in 2015. Will it be like the year of Luigi, where there was almost nothing at all? Or, will it be something with a lot more significance?

That is part of the source of my worries for Krystal and Star Fox as a whole.

The other part of my worries lies with Miyamoto himself, for reasons I have detailed a long time ago on this thread. In short, Miyamoto has a questionable track record of decisions regarding Star Fox...

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It seems my context was misunderstood. I'm not referring to the legitimacy of the source--I know 2015 is the year of Star Fox, according to Miyamoto.

I'm referring to the influence of Star Fox within the year of 2015. When I said "supposed", I was questioning how involved Star Fox will be in 2015. Will it be like the year of Luigi, where there was almost nothing at all? Or, will it be something with a lot more significance?

The other part of my worries lies with Miyamoto himself, for reasons I have detailed a long time ago on this thread. In short, Miyamoto has a questionable track record of decisions regarding Star Fox...
Luigi got a decent amount, a few games came out, dream team, 3d world, new super luigi u, doctor luigi, he was announced for smash and he got a special 3ds. I honestly think people were expecting way too much though

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
[

True, but Nintendo themselves have a history of poor decisions (Wii U, making the N64 cartridge based, the GameCube not being DVD compatible, and forgoing good graphics with Wii, instead focusing on a gimmicky controller, and a crowd that is attracted to the newest flavor of the month mobile game)

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Also they are doing it for an entire franchise rather than a single character so that's gotta mean something big
So the question regarding Star Fox and Smash in 2015 is...

What will happen, especially since Fox and Falco have been known to be in Sm4sh already?

Will there be the return of Wolf, who was already known to be in Smash before?

Or will there be more? *looks at Krystal*

Heck, additional content outside of characters (as long as it includes characters) would be amazing too. Star Fox content for Mario Kart 8, a Star Fox themed 3DS, right down to Star Fox miscellaneous stuff.

This could be finally the year we Star Fox fans were waiting for...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

What will happen, especially since Fox and Falco have been known to be in Sm4sh already?

Heck, additional content outside of characters (as long as it includes characters) would be amazing too. Star Fox content for Mario Kart 8, a Star Fox themed 3DS, right down to Star Fox miscellaneous stuff.

Yeah, and what about a special edition Wii U with Star Fox theming, and all the merchandize, let's talk about that,

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I can't see them just doing a veteran and I can't see them adding krystal over wolf due to his popularity and the backlash it would cause, So I guess that means both

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Yeah, and what about a special edition Wii U with Star Fox theming, and all the merchandize, let's talk about that,
That would be cool!

What if they did individual themes after each character? What character themed Wii U or 3DS would you get (assuming you could get one)?

Ach, I don't know... I feel giddy like a school boy just thinking about the possibilities in 2015.

Though, individual character themes might be a bit contrived for Nintendo. They'd probably do a singular Star Fox themed thing.

I can't see them just doing a veteran and I can't see them adding krystal over wolf due to his popularity and the backlash it would cause, So I guess that means both
The more, the merrier!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That would be cool!

What if they did individual themes after each character? What character themed Wii U or 3DS would you get (assuming you could get one)?

Ach, I don't know... I feel giddy like a school boy just thinking about the possibilities in 2015.

Though, individual character themes might be a bit contrived for Nintendo. They'd probably do a singular Star Fox themed thing.

The more, the merrier!
Oh my lord, Now I need a Wolf 3DS (or I guess New 3DS)

But if they did do this how many would they do? Maybe 5, The star fox team and wolf or maybe 6 with peppy

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That would be cool!

That was what I meant, I was thinking of all the merchandize, like t-shirts and Halloween costumes, heck even a Star Fox TV show could work, but let's describe the merchandizing opportunities for Star Fox

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
That was what I meant, I was thinking of all the merchandize, like t-shirts and Halloween costumes, heck even a Star Fox TV show could work, but let's describe the merchandizing opportunities for Star Fox
Well, for starters, we have Smash DLC (Wolf and Krystal + a stage and/or a few items and songs) that could, and should be released alongside Star Fox Wii U as a promotion.

We also have an opportunity for Star Fox characters (mainly Fox) to appear in Mario Kart 8, alongside a Landmaster Kart and/or an Arwing Kart.

Bayonetta 2 might be open to additional Star Fox-related content, though I doubt it after the game already receiving the "Fox" outfit.

While it might not be related to merchandising per se, we'll probably get a section of Miiverse devoted purely to Star Fox, kinda like the Smash Bros. Miiverse community.

We'll probably get Star Fox themed Wii U and 3DS consoles.

You know what would be cool? A release of Star Fox 2 on the virtual console for Wii U. THAT would impress me.

[pipe dream]

After that, I'd want to hear this song in Smash Brothers, remade, of course:

[/pipe dream]

There are plenty of other things Nintendo could do with Star Fox too. They'll probably come to mind as time passes.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wolf was cut. Wolf has had moves given to Fox.

These aren't exactly positive signs.

Understand, backlash isn't real or at least it's not relevant. It's just a weak point people try to use when discussing cuts. It's not a legitimate concern of Nintendo or Sakurai. The game is going to sell without Wolf. (Wait, it actually did already. Hit One Million copies the first week it was out in Japan) And the best selling Smash game didn't have Mewtwo. Someone who is much MUCH more popular than Wolf.

OF COURSE, Ideally we would get both.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wolf was cut. Wolf has had 1 move given to Fox.

These aren't exactly positive signs.

Understand, backlash isn't real or at least it's not relevant. It's just a weak point people try to use when discussing cuts. It's not a legitimate concern of Nintendo or Sakurai. The game is going to sell without Wolf. (Wait, it actually did already. Hit One Million copies the first week it was out in Japan) And the best selling Smash game didn't have Mewtwo. Someone who is much MUCH more popular than Wolf.
Fixed

If krystal, a largely hated character is added over wolf, lots of people are gonna be pissed. I don't think that's something they're gonna want to do

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Her hatebase is extremely vocal though
Honestly if she gets in I won't have to hear a damn thing about the hate base cause I won't be doing this anymore. I never heard of her hate base till I came here. It still wouldn't be good though...But I'm all for the wolf fans and krystal fans having no bad blood between them.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Her hatebase is extremely vocal though
2010 (SWF / 300 votes)

1. Isaac (187)
2. Megaman (146)
3. Mewtwo (135)
4. Krystal (132)

2011 (SWF / 700 votes)

1. Ridley (366)
2. King K. Rool (365)
3. Mewtwo (356)
4. Toad (342)
5. Megaman (338)
6. Isaac (313)
7. Krystal (292)

2012 (SWF / 400 votes)

1. King K. Rool (265)
2. Ridley (260)
3. Mewtwo (248)
4. Isaac (232)
5. Little Mac (224)
6. Toad (217)
7. Krystal (206)

2013 - 2014 (Smash communities everywhere / 2400 votes)

1. Mewtwo 1786
2. Ridley 1335
3. Little Mac (Punch Out) 1248
4. King K. Rool 1215
5. Palutena 1212
6. Chrom 1070
7. Dixie Kong 1009
8. Krystal 992

I actually lost one of my polls but you get my point.

I never heard of her hate base till I came here.
Bitter SF babbies who have misplaced anger about Adventures not being a real Star Fox game. Or, someone who hates furries and somehow thinks she shouldn't be included because she is one. (Despite Fox, Falco, Wolf, Sonic, and Lucario all being in Smash already.)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
2010 (SWF / 300 votes)

1. Isaac (187)
2. Megaman (146)
3. Mewtwo (135)
4. Krystal (132)

2011 (SWF / 700 votes)

1. Ridley (366)
2. King K. Rool (365)
3. Mewtwo (356)
4. Toad (342)
5. Megaman (338)
6. Isaac (313)
7. Krystal (292)

2012 (SWF / 400 votes)

1. King K. Rool (265)
2. Ridley (260)
3. Mewtwo (248)
4. Isaac (232)
5. Little Mac (224)
6. Toad (217)
7. Krystal (206)

2013 - 2014 (Smash communities everywhere / 2400 votes)

1. Mewtwo 1786
2. Ridley 1335
3. Little Mac (Punch Out) 1248
4. King K. Rool 1215
5. Palutena 1212
6. Chrom 1070
7. Dixie Kong 1009
8. Krystal 992

I actually lost one of my polls but you get my point.
Her hatebase is still both extremely loud and large

Look, I do really want krystal in, I just see choosing her over wolf is a bad idea. It's like when mewtwo was dropped and lucario was added, people were pissed for a long time. Either way both should be added so this isn't really worth discussing

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Despite I love Wolf in Brawl, I wouldn't mind trading him for Krystal. Staff moves, telepathic abilities. Plus speed like Fox. I wouldn't mind at all. But the only problem Krystal has, is that Sakarai, (sorry if I butchered your name!) might choose the cut vets as dlc instead of new characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Her hatebase is still both extremely loud and large

Look, I do really want krystal in, I just see choosing her over wolf is a bad idea. It's like when mewtwo was dropped and lucario was added, people were pissed for a long time. Either way both should be added so this isn't really worth discussing
People weren't that pissed, and I just showed you how popular Krystal is with numbers, you simply saying "Well people hate her a lot" isn't going to cut it against actual numbers. Years worth I might add. Lastly it's worth discussing because you're in a Krystal thread talking about Krystal. Where else do you think this would be discussed? And it's perfectly fine that you think choosing her over Wolf is a bad idea.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
People weren't that pissed, and I just showed you how popular Krystal is with numbers, you simply saying "Well people hate her a lot" isn't going to cut it against actual numbers. Years worth I might add. Lastly it's worth discussing because you're in a Krystal thread talking about Krystal. Where else do you think this would be discussed? And it's perfectly fine that you think choosing her over Wolf is a bad idea.
It's not hard to find the hate krystal gets, there are lots of people that like krystal like you say but the amount of people that hate her is undeniable. Here me out here, let's compare her to slippy, a character who is both largely hated and largely loved at the same time, choosing slippy over wolf is not a good idea, Wolf's more popular than him and due to presexisting data from brawl he's easier to add, this all applies to krystal too.

Also there aren't really numbers of the amount of people that hate her

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Also there aren't really numbers of the amount of people that hate her
I'm not denying she has a hate base, but I just proved to you she's extremely popular.

Here's the difference between Krystal and Slippy.

Krystal
- more popular
- general consensus on a unique moveset (one that comes naturally)
- Importance to the storyline
- Prominence throughout the Star Fox series.

Slippy does have Senoirity on her, but that's about it. There situations are not the same.

No hate for Slippy though, I actually like him a lot. Probably my third favorite SF character besides Krystal and Wolf. I also like Pigma a lot too.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm not denying she has a hate base, but I just proved to you she's extremely popular.

Here's the difference between Krystal and Slippy.

Krystal
- more popular
- general consensus on a unique moveset (one that comes naturally)
- Importance to the storyline
- Prominence throughout the Star Fox series.

Slippy does have Senoirity on her, but that's about it. There situations are not the same.

No hate for Slippy though, I actually like him a lot. Probably my third favorite SF character besides Krystal and Wolf. I also like Pigma a lot too.
Pigma and Slippy are eh, I prefer Krystal, Fox, then Wolf

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I'll keep it simple.
While I would love Krystal as a DLC character. I wouldn't want to interfere with the already bummed out Wolf fans. Make it 2015 the true year of Starfox and give us 2 DLC Starfox characters in some sort of "Starfox themed DLC pack"? Best and most awesome scenario.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Wolf is expandable. Otherwise he would have returned, not to mention he would have been something more than a last minute edition to the Brawl roster to please the fans. No matter how hard the Wolf fans argue how unique or important he is to the Starfox franchise, Sakurai and his team do not feel the same way.

3 Landmasters was too much and I doubt Wolf will be brought back in this iteration of Smash without receiving a huge revamp on his moveset. Now that the game is out, Sakurai and his team have all the time in the world do do what they want for DLC. They're not going to waste it on another clone character!

No matter who's going to be put in the game next, there will always be people who are upset and there always will be people who accept Sakurai's decision. This is why Sakurai chooses who he feels is best. Sure, Sakurai could choose to bring Wolf back but, why stop there? This is DLC we're talking about! the possibilities are endless!

As a Krystal fan who has put a lot of thought into her potential, I could state that she would bring something to Smash that no other Starfox character could, but at the end of the day, it all depends on what Sakurai and his team sees.

At this point so far, I would not give up on Krystal ( If I did give up on Krystal I probably would not be here on the Krystal thread on Smashboards anyways) Actually, if you ask me at this point in time, I think she stands more of a chance of being put into the game than Wolf, and I say that with a strait face. Nobody can say that Krystal is more or less important to the Starfox series than Wolf!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wolf is expandable. Otherwise he would have returned, not to mention he would have been something more than a last minute edition to the Brawl roster to please the fans. No matter how hard the Wolf fans argue how unique or important he is to the Starfox franchise, Sakurai and his team do not feel the same way.

3 Landmasters was too much and I doubt Wolf will be brought back in this iteration of Smash without receiving a huge revamp on his moveset. Now that the game is out, Sakurai and his team have all the time in the world do do what they want for DLC. They're not going to waste it on another clone character!

No matter who's going to be put in the game next, there will always be people who are upset and there always will be people who accept Sakurai's decision. This is why Sakurai chooses who he feels is best. Sure, Sakurai could choose to bring Wolf back but, why stop there? This is DLC we're talking about! the possibilities are endless!

As a Krystal fan who has put a lot of thought into her potential, I could state that she would bring something to Smash that no other Starfox character could, but at the end of the day, it all depends on what Sakurai and his team sees.

At this point so far, I would not give up on Krystal ( If I did give up on Krystal I probably would not be here on the Krystal thread on Smashboards anyways) Actually, if you ask me at this point in time, I think she stands more of a chance of being put into the game than Wolf, and I say that with a strait face.
If you think wolf is a clone you should try pressing the A button and if they do have "all the time in the world" I don't see why they can't declone his specials and final smash

Also we don't know the reason he was cut, It could've been due to time constraints or something

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

At this point so far, I would not give up on Krystal ( If I did give up on Krystal I probably would not be here on the Krystal thread on Smashboards anyways) Actually, if you ask me at this point in time, I think she stands more of a chance of being put into the game than Wolf, and I say that with a strait face.
Even though I do agree krystal could be more unique.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
If you think wolf is a clone I think you should try pressing the A button
Holy crap there's an A button! Ha! only joking with you! True Sakurai did differentiate their melee animations, however, Wolf doesn't use a sword or staff to make it feel considerably different, nor you can not deny that his special moveset is based on Fox's.
and if they do have "all the time in the world" I don't see why they can't declone his specials and final smash
This is exactly why I said in the previous post that they wouldn't add him into this iteration of Smash without a huge revamp of his moveset.

Top Bottom