• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

Nova9000

Smash Lord
IMO Tier List:

S: MK, Snake, Diddy, ICs
A: Falco, Wario, Marth, DDD, Olimar, Pikachu
B: G & W, ROB, TL, ZSS, Lucario, Kirby, Pit
C: Peach, DK, Luigi, Wolf, Fox
D: Sonic, Shelda, PT, Mario, Bowser
E: Yoshi, Ike, Ness, Lucas
F: Jiggs, Samus, Falcon, Link, Ganon

I'm open to any suggestions/flaming :)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
This is why I figured out not to get too flipped out over the tier list.

There are waaay too many differing opinions *shrugs*

Id post my updated one but Im far too lazy

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I agree with Ganondorf being in a tier of his own. Ganondorf isn't even viable in low-tier tournaments.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
IC won't be as high as 4th, probably 6th but I don't think any higher than that. They are 11th in the current tier list.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really like your tier setup, with exception to Game & Watch being way too low and Kirby being WAAAYYYY too low and Falcon being too high (shouldn't be over Jiggs / Samus / Link). I think I would maybe put IC or Marth a bit higher but it looks pretty good to me.

That's a good list though, I like it.
Thanks for pointing that out...

I realized there's an inconsistency in me placing the characters in a list based on what

I believe the future could be like,
and what has actually happened.

For example, I feel that Jiggs has potential, but no one has actually done anything with her yet. More of my focus was on the latter throughout the list even though Sheik & Zelda players haven't done a whole lot with her yet to deserve the placing I gave her.

Where do you draw the line?

Yoshi, Ness, Mario, and Lucas have done nothing to prove they are better then Ike.

None of their metagames have really changed that much, but Ike has more tournament results then all of them. There is no logical reason to put Ike lower. At all.

And as usual: lol at PT's constant rising placement.

And do you honestly think THAT many characters should be in low tier tournaments? It's D tier and down after all. Sheik, Fox, Kirby (what the flip is he doing this low?), and Luigi would be dominating left and right.
You're right about Ike having better placings than those characters... but should those placings have happened in the first place? That's the real question. I remember one Ike player winning a tournament because he beat a FALCO player in Winners' Finals, I believe. That should never happen. Even then, you're still likely right. You know much more about Ike than I do. *shrugs*

I stated my bias for PT in my notes for this reason. I live about 40 minutes from Reflex.. so sue me. <_<

"D Tier and down" is an artificial bar line for low tier tournament character selection. It's not set in stone; it'll change over time. In my list, I'd say the lower tiers would be E tier and down.

In any case, I'm not sure where to draw the line between what has already happened and how I feel the characters can do later on all things considered. I can revise my list, but what's the point until I know the answer to this?

edit: Kirby isn't good. I don't know what people see in him.
And G&W? Talk to Praxis. lol

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I agree with Ganondorf being in a tier of his own. Ganondorf isn't even viable in low-tier tournaments.
Low-tier tournaments have absolutely nothing to do with tier lists. Really. All they are are side events that let the unviable characters have their fun, but they don't count for anything.

I can accept Falcon being over Ganon, even though I think Falcon's a worse character, but being AN ENTIRE TIER above Ganon? It's really too much for me to bear.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Low-tier tournaments have absolutely nothing to do with tier lists. Really. All they are are side events that let the unviable characters have their fun, but they don't count for anything.

I can accept Falcon being over Ganon, even though I think Falcon's a worse character, but being AN ENTIRE TIER above Ganon? It's really too much for me to bear.
His point is that he isnt even viable in a low tier tourney, which is an environment made for bad characters to win. So if he cant even come close to beating anyone but Captain Falcon, then why would having his own tier be so far fetched?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I was bored OK?

SS Tier

Meta Knight 10.00
Snake 9.75
Diddy 9.55

S Tier

Wario 9.15
Falco 8.70
Ice Climbers 8.55
King Dedede 8.40

A Tier

Marth 8.00
Pikachu 7.80
Mr. Game & Watch 7.50
Olimar 7.20
R.O.B. 7.15
Lucario 7.00

B Tier

Kirby 6. 65
(Squirtle) 6.60
(Sheik+Zelda) 6.50
Zero Suit Samus 6.40
Toon Link 6.30
Pit 6.15
Donkey Kong 6.10
Peach 6.05
Luigi 5.90

C Tier

Sheik 5.40
Fox 5.25
Wolf 5.20
Sonic 5.00
Pokemon Trainer 4.95
Ike 4.85

D Tier

(Charizard) 4.60
Bowser 4.50
Zelda 4.35

E tier

Ness 4.00
Lucas 3.85
Yoshi 3.60
(Ivy) 3.50
Mario 3.40

F Tier

Samus 3.00
Link 2.85
Jigglypuff 2.80
Captain Falcon 2.45

G(od/anon) Tier

Ganondorf 1.70

ALL NUMBERS ARE WHAT I THINK, THEY ARE JUST HOW I RANK THE CHARACTER AND THEREFOR, NOT IMPORTANT

I felt that an extra tier was necessary to show the difference between character potential, it also shows that Dedede is indeed "S" tier potential and possibly marth. Luigi I feel is bottom of B tier material instead of C tier material. PT may actually be bottom C tier also but IDK it may be some bias

D tier is weird also, if you look at it, the 2 (3) characters in it are really in their own tier. everyone below them is considerably worse and everyone above is quite better

e tier is really a toss up, IDK where to put them. as are the top half of B

gm jack

Smash Lord
I do not have a single disagreement with this list.

Olimar could be above G&W, but I don't really understand Olimar's play too well other than "lol pivot grab".

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Let me guess, because 90% of MK players PURPOSEFULLY plays the match-up wrong?

Seriously, what's wrong with playing defensively? MKs are spoiled because they got to make that choice and generally be effectively that way.
Purposefully? No, they just don't realize the aspects of G&W that they can abuse.

Again, watch UTD Zac vs Havok.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I was bored OK?

SS Tier

Meta Knight 10.00
Snake 9.75
Diddy 9.55

S Tier

Wario 9.15
Falco 8.70
Ice Climbers 8.55
King Dedede 8.40

A Tier

Marth 8.00
Pikachu 7.80
Mr. Game & Watch 7.50
Olimar 7.20
R.O.B. 7.15
Lucario 7.00

B Tier

Kirby 6. 65
(Squirtle) 6.60
(Sheik+Zelda) 6.50
Zero Suit Samus 6.40
Toon Link 6.30
Pit 6.15
Donkey Kong 6.10
Peach 6.05
Luigi 5.90

C Tier

Sheik 5.40
Fox 5.25
Wolf 5.20
Sonic 5.00
Pokemon Trainer 4.95
Ike 4.85

D Tier

(Charizard) 4.60
Bowser 4.50
Zelda 4.35

E tier

Ness 4.00
Lucas 3.85
Yoshi 3.60
(Ivy) 3.50
Mario 3.40

F Tier

Samus 3.00
Link 2.85
Jigglypuff 2.80
Captain Falcon 2.45

G(od/anon) Tier

Ganondorf 1.70

ALL NUMBERS ARE WHAT I THINK, THEY ARE JUST HOW I RANK THE CHARACTER AND THEREFOR, NOT IMPORTANT

I felt that an extra tier was necessary to show the difference between character potential, it also shows that Dedede is indeed "S" tier potential and possibly marth. Luigi I feel is bottom of B tier material instead of C tier material. PT may actually be bottom C tier also but IDK it may be some bias

D tier is weird also, if you look at it, the 2 (3) characters in it are really in their own tier. everyone below them is considerably worse and everyone above is quite better

Honestly I don't think anyone should be in a teir with MK and Snake they're really on another level.

Clai

Smash Lord
His point is that he isnt even viable in a low tier tourney, which is an environment made for bad characters to win. So if he cant even come close to beating anyone but Captain Falcon, then why would having his own tier be so far fetched?
Except that low tier tournaments have nothing to do with actual tournament viability. Zero. Zilch. The only metagame that matters is the one that contains all of the characters, and Falcon doesn't come remotely close to beating anyone that matters. His moveset is so laughably terrible that anyone who knows how to zone him should destroy him.

Really, who does Falcon come close against that Ganon can't handle?

V

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't think anyone should be in a teir with MK and Snake they're really on another level.
I agree. If you're going to put Meta Knight and Snake in their own tier then you can't put anybody else but those two. Even with how good Diddy Kong is, he isn't broken on the level of MK or Snake.

Holty

Smash Apprentice
I agree. If you're going to put Meta Knight and Snake in their own tier then you can't put anybody else but those two. Even with how good Diddy Kong is, he isn't broken on the level of MK or Snake.
There's been numerous unofficial tier lists with MK in a seperate tier from every other character, too.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Except that low tier tournaments have nothing to do with actual tournament viability. Zero. Zilch. The only metagame that matters is the one that contains all of the characters, and Falcon doesn't come remotely close to beating anyone that matters. His moveset is so laughably terrible that anyone who knows how to zone him should destroy him.

Really, who does Falcon come close against that Ganon can't handle?
It was supposed to be a funny line. That Ganondorf is so terrible that he isn't even viable when the good characters are gone.

As for your hate on Falcon: lol. I suppose you should lrn2falcon. There's a handful of characters whom I think actually could be around even for Falcon.
Mind you, he's a bad character, but Ganondorf is worse.

You should try camping with Falcon, it's awesome, and "anyone who knows how to zone him" won't help a lot.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I was bored OK?

SS Tier

Meta Knight 10.00
Snake 9.75
Diddy 9.55

S Tier

Wario 9.15
Falco 8.70
Ice Climbers 8.55
King Dedede 8.40

A Tier

Marth 8.00
Pikachu 7.80
Mr. Game & Watch 7.50
Olimar 7.20
R.O.B. 7.15
Lucario 7.00

B Tier

Kirby 6. 65
(Squirtle) 6.60
(Sheik+Zelda) 6.50
Zero Suit Samus 6.40
Toon Link 6.30
Pit 6.15
Donkey Kong 6.10
Peach 6.05
Luigi 5.90

C Tier

Sheik 5.40
Fox 5.25
Wolf 5.20
Sonic 5.00
Pokemon Trainer 4.95
Ike 4.85

D Tier

(Charizard) 4.60
Bowser 4.50
Zelda 4.35

E tier

Ness 4.00
Lucas 3.85
Yoshi 3.60
(Ivy) 3.50
Mario 3.40

F Tier

Samus 3.00
Link 2.85
Jigglypuff 2.80
Captain Falcon 2.45

G(od/anon) Tier

Ganondorf 1.70

Good list, but i'm curious about Ike and Mario's positions, with Ike being too high and Mario too low. Care to elborate please?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Jiggs is pretty awesome for a bottom tier, at worst she should be on top of the lowest letter (F?). I learned her a long time ago (never mained her), found out her strengths ad weaknesses, and played against her as well with some friends. She's too crappy to get out of low, or compete with the likes of the other low tiers. Samus outclasses her, for example: what Samus can do thanks to her zair, Jiggs can't do due to the lack of range in her attacks, as well as her low survival rate. Samus goes over jiggs but is still pretty low, and jiggs should stay below her.

She also has a safe offstage game and can recover horizontaly in peace (which is what you'll be doing mainly as any character), something a couple of characters in bottom tier can't do. On-stage, for example, Link has an advantage over her in terms of damage output, spacing and killing, but when he gets his by a combo/string-starter, he has to eat the whole thing up for lack of sex kicks. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, is SUPER light: she can get out of strings, recover from gimping scenarios, can't be chaingrabbed by anyone, and has some stalling options to avoid waiting opponents below/above her... Link suffers from a lack of all of these. Being a heavy hitter isn't always a good idea, even less when the shields in this game are designed to punish opponents who fail at hitting them. Sure, he has his zair, but that will never kill, and when it comes to killing, all it takes is shield-approaching Link and baiting a move to punish him... At least Jiggs has a fast grab to punish shield-approaching people better.

I dunno, it's my personal opinion, but Jiggs is just a little bit better than Link.

M@v

Subarashii!
Wario's not 4th best and Marth>DDD (I know DDD wins the matchup but Marth is better overall against everyone else).

Thats my thoughts.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Jiggs is pretty awesome for a bottom tier, at worst she should be on top of the lowest letter (F?). I learned her a long time ago (never mained her), found out her strengths ad weaknesses, and played against her as well with some friends. She's too crappy to get out of low, or compete with the likes of the other low tiers. Samus outclasses her, for example: what Samus can do thanks to her zair, Jiggs can't do due to the lack of range in her attacks, as well as her low survival rate. Samus goes over jiggs but is still pretty low, and jiggs should stay below her.

She also has a safe offstage game and can recover horizontaly in peace (which is what you'll be doing mainly as any character), something a couple of characters in bottom tier can't do. On-stage, for example, Link has an advantage over her in terms of damage output, spacing and killing, but when he gets his by a combo/string-starter, he has to eat the whole thing up for lack of sex kicks. Jigglypuff, on the other hand, is SUPER light: she can get out of strings, recover from gimping scenarios, can't be chaingrabbed by anyone, and has some stalling options to avoid waiting opponents below/above her... Link suffers from a lack of all of these. Being a heavy hitter isn't always a good idea, even less when the shields in this game are designed to punish opponents who fail at hitting them. Sure, he has his zair, but that will never kill, and when it comes to killing, all it takes is shield-approaching Link and baiting a move to punish him... At least Jiggs has a fast grab to punish shield-approaching people better.

I dunno, it's my personal opinion, but Jiggs is just a little bit better than Link.
For the most part I agree with this, and I main Link.

He might be better than Jiggs, but at this writing moment I don't think he is.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Good list, but i'm curious about Ike and Mario's positions, with Ike being too high and Mario too low. Care to elborate please?
I know that mario has a supposedly good for a low tier but I honestly feel that he's worse than yoshi considering yoshi have very nice damage racking combos and chaingrabs.

I'm surprised people are putting Link above Jiggs.
I was kinda iffy on that too, thats why I put there ranking numbers so close. plus I'm biased and play legan regularly

fixed except I believe G&W could move down even further

SS Tier

Meta Knight 10.00
Snake 9.75
Diddy 9.55

S Tier

Wario 9.15
Falco 8.70
Ice Climbers 8.55
Marth 8. 45
King Dedede 8.30

A Tier

Pikachu 7.80
Mr. Game & Watch 7.50
Olimar 7.20
R.O.B. 7.15
Lucario 7.00

B Tier

Kirby 6. 65
Zero Suit Samus 6.40
Toon Link 6.30
Pit 6.15
Donkey Kong 6.10
Peach 6.05
Luigi 5.90

C Tier

Sheik 5.40
Fox 5.25
Wolf 5.20
Sonic 5.00
Pokemon Trainer 4.95
Ike 4.85

D Tier

Bowser 4.50
Zelda 4.35

E tier

Ness 4.00
Lucas 3.85
Yoshi 3.60
Mario 3.40

F Tier

Samus 3.00
Link = Jigglypuff 2.85
Captain Falcon 2.45

G(od/anon) Tier

Ganondorf 1.70
B

V

Smash Ace
@ Ripple's tier list above. Marth should be just one spot ahead of ICs. He's a much safer character and at high/top levels of play, safety is much more important than having **** qualities such as the IC's grabs.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Hay guyz.
Remember when Zeik was the new A-tier character, and people were like "Zomg Zelda getting kill after sheik 2 pro, it transcends her crappy character design"?
lol

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Hay guyz.
Remember when Zeik was the new A-tier character, and people were like "Zomg Zelda getting kill after sheik 2 pro, it transcends her crappy character design"?
lol
I still sorta think that, just not close to A tier >_> Maybe bottom of B. Maybe. Overall its not too worth it anymore though.

Aibou

Smash Master
I still sorta think that, just not close to A tier >_> Maybe bottom of B. Maybe. Overall its not too worth it anymore though.
Sheik by herself can be B-Tier, so a little Zelda action thrown in should put her a teensy bit higher (though still B)

humble

Smash Ace
@Ripple- I'd say Bowser should swap with Ike and Zelda should drop to E tier. Fairly good list, I could see marth and ICs switching or Pika and D3, but its still good overall.

Clai

Smash Lord
It was supposed to be a funny line. That Ganondorf is so terrible that he isn't even viable when the good characters are gone.

As for your hate on Falcon: lol. I suppose you should lrn2falcon. There's a handful of characters whom I think actually could be around even for Falcon.
Mind you, he's a bad character, but Ganondorf is worse.

You should try camping with Falcon, it's awesome, and "anyone who knows how to zone him" won't help a lot.
I'm already using one garbage character in tournament play, I don't have the mental capacity to play two (although Falcon/Ganon would be an absolutely terrifying combo to have in tournaments).

So who does Falcon go even with? I need names! Statements are nothing without names!

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
This is a good read, but I sorta disagree with you about Zelda. I mean, she ain't no A tier character, but I don't think she'd be in the F tier. D at lowest

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
OK, I want to bring up a question.

Can we say for sure that the 8 best characters in the game are currently:
MK, Snake, Diddy, ICs, Wario, Marth, Falco, DDD ???

What do YOU think ?
~Discuss

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK
Snake
Falco
Diddy
Wario

Guaranteed top 8.

Marth, depends.

IC's, depends.

Dedede, depends.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
No, I agree. I don't think anyone will say Pikachu or Olimar is better than Dedede/Marth.

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
Wulfy's tier list v2 (it needed it since I was sleep deprived originally)

S: Meta Knight, Snake, Falco, Diddy Kong
A: Marth, Ice Climbers, King Dedede, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Pikachu, Olimar
B: R.O.B., Kirby, Pit, Lucario, Toon Link, Shiek/Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Donkey Kong, Peach
C: Luigi, Fox, Mario, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer, Sonic
D: Bowser, Ness, Lucas, Ike
E: Yoshi, Samus
F: Link, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ganon

Changes:
S tier: No change necessary. All these characters are great. I would have to say Falco is definitely over Diddy.

A tier: First, Wario isn't S tier and never was (though I admit that is mostly opinion, but even a good Wario never looked higher than Falco or Diddy and after Diddy, I see very little S-tier material.) Marth was originally behind Ice climbers when I made this, but as someone said above, **** ability is second to safety at higher levels of play, so I moved IC down from top of A tier to second best there. Note, I include Shiek/Zelda as one person, and after having seen some Japanese players with Shiek (along with stealth3654's shiek against kismet at a recent tournament), I simply see the argument for putting Shiek quite high. I will admit that A-tier may be stretching it a bit far (particularly mid a-tier), but overall, I think my over estimation makes up for many player's under estimation of their abilities as a character. Mr. G&W deserves A-tier still, Pikachu's **** is still amazing, and Olimar still holds to his current abilities. Generally, they stay.

B tier: R.O.B. and Kirby are both great, but I don't see them competing well with most of the A tier line up. ergo, they move down where they will hold a decently even match. Most of B should be unsurprising

C tier: All of these characters belong here. Mario is underestimated, and the rest were pretty much spot on. Also, watch a match of reflex as PT and tell me he isn't mid tier. He's abusive when used right and generally undiscovered.

D tier: I had problems here... I want to say all of these character are...well...equally bad. Bowser's on top for sure, Ness is generally better than Lucas (or has more success stories, to be fair) and I think Ness has better odds against Lucas, but I could be mistaken. I won't debate near as much for this level as I will any other.

E tier: As much as I love Yoshi, he just...belongs here. On one hand, Yoshi can combo better than any character on this list. Not tech chase, combo. Unfortunately, his learning curve is exponential and learning the character is about as rewarding as obtaining maple syrup. Sure, it's delicious, but how much patience do you really have? Oh, and I will take flack for this but...um...Samus sucks. I know I can't beat the best Samus player or probably the top 50. I'm not saying I ever will. I will say that Samus is super campy, and in general, she can't do anything about almost anyone above her *assumes the other person is on the same playing level as her player.*

F tier: *sighs* the order could pretty much be random so long as Ganon is last. I like Jiggly less than Link, but Link can't compete. I love Link, and he can probably do okay against Falcon so Link is above him, and then there's Ganon.. Yea...sorry, ganon's last.

Top Bottom