• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V.5: - November 9th, 2013 - Frederick, MD Featuring M2K, Scorp, and MD/VA's Best!

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
This is what should have been said long ago instead of making everyone even angrier. Good luck, most of us Brawlers will most likely not attend this so I'm hoping the 'attending thing' is removed for both melee and brawl -_- I'm pretty sure they don't need to attend for something they earned.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
This is what should have been said long ago instead of making everyone even angrier. Good luck, most of us Brawlers will most likely not attend this so I'm hoping the 'attending thing' is removed for both melee and brawl -_- I'm pretty sure they don't need to attend for something they earned.

I hear you entirely - but as far as excess venue fees for this one, I am going to use them to pay out Melee winners since people coming to this are Melee players. If all goes well and Brawl is interested on doing the same thing maybe next year, I'm totally down on working as hard as I can to get Brawl at the tournaments and have you guys compensated too. Being my first tournament back I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew or anything like that so I stuck with what i know - Melee. Nothing personal.

Battlecow

Play to Win
too bad he just entered one this past weekend and no one really cared.

I'm aware that MD/VA people have been letting him attend. It's a damn shame but you guys do you.

Laijin I told some people a while back that you had actually gotten paid for winning amateur bracket and then defended plank (possibly the most ballsy bit of douchebaggery I've ever seen; if you had a gram of decency you'd have sent that money straight to Armada) and they were convinced that you could only have been trolling and laughing your ass off. Just to be clear--you're perfectly serious right now?

I read most of those threads and I recall plank posting one or two things blaming the community for his ****-up (slash possible theft) and never really answering any questions about where the money went. I recall a lot of people jumping to his defense and I recall the people whose money had been stolen being too nice to investigate further (with the exception of like hax and some brawl guys, good on them). I don't recall a good account ever being given of where exactly the money went. Did the hotel take every penny? Can we see some proof of that?

Renth

Smash Hero
Favorite Melee series back to life.

I am there.

Love pound, Love plank.

Everyone crying about money well, the majority of people complaining have never made money at a smash event anyway get over it.

~20%

Smash Rookie
Looking forward to this, for sure. I remember watching videos from Pound ages ago, it's awesome that I'll get to be a part of it this time around.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Favorite Melee series back to life.

I am there.

Love pound, Love plank.

Everyone crying about money well, the majority of people complaining have never made money at a smash event anyway get over it.
Which of the people complaining has never made money at a smash event? I count me, ally, and m2k so far, and I'm sure hax will chime in soon enough. As good of a guy as Armada is he wasn't happy about that whole affair either. Hbox and PP are two of the nicest guys on the planet and have probably actually forgiven the dude, but that doesn't make it right. That's like stabbing mother theresa and justifying it by saying she didn't stab you back.

Detective Battlecow over here lol
I mean I don't think it's ridiculous to ask where the money went dude it's ten grand and this guy is tryin to run another tourney lol

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Laijin I told some people a while back that you had actually gotten paid for winning amateur bracket and then defended plank (possibly the most ballsy bit of douchebaggery I've ever seen; if you had a gram of decency you'd have sent that money straight to Armada) and they were convinced that you could only have been trolling and laughing your *** off.
chill out cow no need to battle. he's going to start paying people back. looking forward to this tourney.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because a blacklist means you're never allowed to do anything ever again for life while you're living in this world in its eternal realm of the universe of melee4lyfe.

In other words: "The TO's listed here are still allowed to post tournaments, this just serves as a warning to players attending their events."

Battlecow

Play to Win
chill out cow no need to battle. he's going to start paying people back. looking forward to this tourney.

I mean if he was gonna pay people back, that would be cool. But what he's actually doing is making good players come by offering them a small chunk of whatever paltry TO fee he would've gotten (at $575 for the venue he's prolly gonna lose money if people have any sense, let's be real)

If you can make $10,000 by TO'ing regionals, show me where to sign up

Y'all MD/VA types are altogether too chill about this lol. I know he's your friend but dude stole lots of money.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
I've never even really talked to him. I just have heard from everyone that he made a mistake. If someone makes a mistake where they owe money, there's nothing more respectable than trying to pay that money back.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'll go to Pound 6 when there is brawl. Going to Whobo 5 on this date. Good luck Plank. Pound 4 and 5 were two of my favorite tournaments regardless of the outcome LOL. Pound 4 was my first national...Sucha good tourney.

:018:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Im not upset that this event is being held the SAME weekend my event (whobo 5) is.
Im not upset that he doesnt care.

I AM upset that he ****ed over a bunch of people by not paying them at the previous POUND and i am upset than we created a ban list for TOs who do shady **** and yet this event is allowed to be posted. Had this happened to me or any other TO thats not a "good ol boy" we would be banned for life.

who cares about Whobo? its mainly Brawl n in TX and ran by a lunatic who's a know racist with ties to the Boston bombing

Pound hype

:017:

yes, please explain this. im interested.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
get out of here haters. This is a MD/VA MELEE event that is advertised as being no bigger than a regional. If you have problems with him, gtfo and just don't attend. I'll be looking forward to a fantastic tournament experience that will put MD/VA back on the map.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'm really rather indifferent towards the whole shenanigan. Pound 3,4 and 5 were fun, and the scandal of Pound 5 was heartbreaking- but everyone should be aware of what happened then, and if they make the decision to go to another Pound then thats on them.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Pound 5 still had the best GF set of of all time. F*** the haters.

For every barlwer, go to Whobo and have a blast (I heard it's tornado season :troll:)

Oh wait its Whobo/this guy hosting, MK away.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
like i mentioned earlier, who gives a **** about brawl, just host Melee and PM, and youll be set plank lmao

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Im not upset that this event is being held the SAME weekend my event (whobo 5) is.
Im not upset that he doesnt care.

I AM upset that he ****ed over a bunch of people by not paying them at the previous POUND and i am upset than we created a ban list for TOs who do shady **** and yet this event is allowed to be posted. Had this happened to me or any other TO thats not a "good ol boy" we would be banned for life.

yes, please explain this. im interested.

obviously upset same weekend as whobo

how the hell am i a "good ol boy" LMAO i love the title but it makes 0 sense to me

GoldMegaman

Smash Cadet
Something I dont understand is how can a guy STEAL thousands of dollars from players/community and everyone is ok with it? Its funny people are saying screw the haters because players are telling the truth but there only saying that because IT WASNT THERE MONEY. If plank STOLE $1500 from you like he did mew2king and a few other players you would be saying were is my money and why are you on here posting your tournament that you NEVER payed the players you owe. So what if mew2king had to help his mom pay rent with the money you STOLE from him plank and she got evicted and nowhere to stay, What happens then? Its sad that people want to support this after everything that went down especially with him blaming everyone else about HIS mess up then waits a few months and act like nothing happened.

Smashboards needs to wake up and realize that if you let plank get away with this when smash wiiu comes out this is giving the ok to all the TIO's that can potentially do the same thing he did because there are NO consequences for his actions. This is saying its OK to not pay players and scam everyone as long as you wait a few months so people can forget about what happened. Why make a list of tournament organizers that are blacklisted and have them post there tournament anyway? This isnt adding up cause i checked the ban list on srk and other forums and there real strict when it comes to TIO's screwing over people and there money "John Kellog". In fact they delete the thread and ban the organizer. I guess its cool now to SCAM players out there money and everyone magically forgets what happened after a few months. This tournament should not be allowed to continue and should be deleted. Does is take plank to do it again for everyone to say he CANT BE TRUSTED. As soon as he screws with your money thats when things will get serious but until then everything is ok as long as he is not messing with your money. I guess thats how it is nowadays...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Actually that's a really good point Megaman, lets use that logic and also apply it to all of the other tournaments hosted by the community that had that happen...

Oh nvm.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shoutouts to the week old account dude posting in here as if he knows anything about how this community works.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
The idea that plank ran off with the winnings from pound is frankly ridiculous. He was forced into a situation partly because of his miscalculations but also because smashers failed to uphold their end of the bargain and crammed into hotel rooms. Paying the pot does not come before paying the venue, and you need to get your head out of your ass and think like an adult if you think otherwise.

big sleep

չչչ
That's like stabbing mother theresa and justifying it by saying she didn't stab you back.

This is just an aside but— honestly, Mother Teresa was extremely far from a saint. In fact, I think it is within reason to deem her a corrupted demagogue and awful human being at least in comparison to her reputation in the West. That might sound ridiculous or pettily deviant to some, but I guess that's the power of publicity and resulting widespread opinion (which, as I'm sure you know, can often be pretty goddamn uninformed). Anyway, I think it'd be in your interest to do some research on the subject.

Of course, your original point still stands.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Are you guys this vengeful IRL? People make mistakes; such is life. Pound 5 was one of the best tournament experiences ever for me. **** was epic.

And this would definitely pique my interest if Pawwject M was to make a showing!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
The whole thing got bad because plank wouldn't show any proof of the hotel asking for whatever he owed. I'ma sit back like I've been doing, don't care anymore. Good luck!
I posted screenshots of my personal bank account getting thousands and thousands of dollars of withdrawals out of it (over $15k), and showing a large portion of it was billed AFTER the tournament to bill for all the rooms that were cancelled the weekend of the tournament ._.

But yeah thanks for the wishes, hopefully all goes well and I can continue and get you guys some money back, if not all of it eventually.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice...

All of you people defending him would not be so forgiving if you had been screwed out of your winnings. Its easy to forgive him when you got what YOU wanted out of it.

Any excess venue fees from your events should go to melee AND brawl players that you stole from. If you have a debt, its not our job as a community to come up with the money for you. Not a single brawl player should be required to come to Pound 6 to help you pay what you already owe. Nor should the Melee community need to bail you out of your debt to their winners.

We know you didn't have malevolent plans from the start, but its still YOUR **** up. You flew too close to the sun and went down in flames. Then you blamed everyone else on your way down. You don't deserve some big pity party because you had good intentions. Other TOs have shown thats its possible to have great events without digging a giant hole.

For those of you that had a good time at pound V regardless, thats great. But its pretty easy to put on an awesome show when you overspend your money and don't pay anyone.

Plank you obviously had free time to attend other tournaments, so why didn't you have time to pick up a 2nd job to pay what you owe? Do you really expect everyone to believe that in 2 years you never had any extra money or opportunities to make extra money to right your wrongs? And now the only way you can scrape together a few dollars is to profit from running smash tournaments? It seems to me that you are just putting the burden back on the community again. You are only willing to pay if everyone trusts you again and throws money at you.

Enjoy your charity smashfest, plank fanboys.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice...

All of you people defending him would not be so forgiving if you had been screwed out of your winnings. Its easy to forgive him when you got what YOU wanted out of it.

Any excess venue fees from your events should go to melee AND brawl players that you stole from. If you have a debt, its not our job as a community to come up with the money for you. Not a single brawl player should be required to come to Pound 6 to help you pay what you already owe. Nor should the Melee community need to bail you out of your debt to their winners.

We know you didn't have malevolent plans from the start, but its still YOUR **** up. You flew too close to the sun and went down in flames. Then you blamed everyone else on your way down. You don't deserve some big pity party because you had good intentions. Other TOs have shown thats its possible to have great events without digging a giant hole.

For those of you that had a good time at pound V regardless, thats great. But its pretty easy to put on an awesome show when you overspend your money and don't pay anyone.

Plank you obviously had free time to attend other tournaments, so why didn't you have time to pick up a 2nd job to pay what you owe? Do you really expect everyone to believe that in 2 years you never had any extra money or opportunities to make extra money to right your wrongs? And now the only way you can scrape together a few dollars is to profit from running smash tournaments? It seems to me that you are just putting the burden back on the community again. You are only willing to pay if everyone trusts you again and throws money at you.

Enjoy your charity smashfest, plank fanboys.

Not going to address your overwhelming ignorance with a legitimate response, please don't post in the thread anymore.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'm aware that MD/VA people have been letting him attend. It's a damn shame but you guys do you.

Laijin I told some people a while back that you had actually gotten paid for winning amateur bracket and then defended plank (possibly the most ballsy bit of douchebaggery I've ever seen; if you had a gram of decency you'd have sent that money straight to Armada) and they were convinced that you could only have been trolling and laughing your *** off. Just to be clear--you're perfectly serious right now?

I read most of those threads and I recall plank posting one or two things blaming the community for his ****-up (slash possible theft) and never really answering any questions about where the money went. I recall a lot of people jumping to his defense and I recall the people whose money had been stolen being too nice to investigate further (with the exception of like hax and some brawl guys, good on them). I don't recall a good account ever being given of where exactly the money went. Did the hotel take every penny? Can we see some proof of that?
You know what annoys me the most about you? You act as if you have some sorta of higher ground when it comes to morality because "If you were in my shoes you would have given the amateur bracket winnings to Armada. cuz itz da rite thing to do!". I promptly disagree with you. Its not an act of decency as you claim and its certainly not an act of douchebaggery. I have zero obligation to give what I won in a separate side tournament to someone else that won in a different tournament. I don't know what sorta fantasy world you live in, but thats not how the world works. Its not like I went over and screwed Armada and PP out of their money.

And yes, the community IS partially at fault. How ridiculously dull do you have to be to not realize that? Multiple T.Os(some prominent ones from other communities too including Alex Jebailey of the very successful CEO series) have all shared their thoughts on this and have pretty much universally agreed that the community does indeed hold some responsibility as well. And in case you missed it, since apparently you "read most of the threads when it happened":

I posted screenshots of my personal bank account getting thousands and thousands of dollars of withdrawals out of it (over $15k), and showing a large portion of it was billed AFTER the tournament to bill for all the rooms that were cancelled the weekend of the tournament ._.

But yeah thanks for the wishes, hopefully all goes well and I can continue and get you guys some money back, if not all of it eventually.
Right. I guess you must have missed when he did that huh? Of course you did.

Now if you have nothing to contribute to the actual Pound v.5 tournament itself, I'm kindly asking you to leave the thread. If you have beef with Plank, you can send him a P.M. But don't fill this thread with unrelated garbage, because the events of Pound 5 at this point are 100% unrelated to the Pound v. 5 tournament.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
"i am positive pound 5 was a conspiracy. i just don't believe that melee's biggest TO would be stupid enough to solidify a deal whose success is entirely dependent on faith placed in the attendants. rumors that he's moving across the country don't make his case any better, either. hats off to plank for not mentioning anything about paying money to the winners in the pound 5 thread; we overlooked this and never saw it coming. it was genius, and because of it i don't see any of you guys beating him in court

that said, i'm not angry about my monetary loss in the least bit. i wasn't even surprised when plank dropped the bomb on us; i'd seen it coming for almost a week. his unresponsiveness on smashboards/AIM made it pretty obvious. regardless, the time i had at pound 5 was worth way more than the ~$300 i'm owed. anyone who came to room 517 should know what i'm talking about. ;) and i hope everyone else (winners included) had just as good of a time; the place was basically a smasher's haven. the venue was inside the hotel, food was within walking distance, i brought my vaporizer, and the best players in the world were there. how much more can you ask for?

whether or not plank cares at this point, his tournament series has given us something to look forward to almost every year and means a lot to me. at pound 3 my crew and i made a name for ourselves, climaxing with me and jman's victory over chu and chillin. pound 4 was the biggest melee tournament of all time. and at pound 5 i finally overcame my tendency to choke at nationals and ended up doing a great job. as you can see it's REALLY hard for me to hate the guy that's brought me all these priceless memories, though at the same time i'm disgusted that they've all become tied to the biggest scandal in smash history.

as dumb as this sounds, i still believe plank has had a positive impact on our community. i understand that he is a criminal and i'm not trying to justify what he did in any way; i just hope that none of you guys forget how amazing the pound series was and that as a community we forget about this disaster."

-Hax
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/my-opinion-on-pound-5.299159/

big sleep

չչչ
Not going to address your overwhelming ignorance with a legitimate response, please don't post in the thread anymore.
ehh, seemed pretty reasonable to me, but i already knew i'm overwhelmingly ignorant.

also, can you please debunk rumors of the new automobile you acquired shortly after Pound V?

Top Bottom