• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V.5: - November 9th, 2013 - Frederick, MD Featuring M2K, Scorp, and MD/VA's Best!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
*Pound* V.5: The return of the *Pound* series
After a few years off and some time to reflect, I am happy to announce I am going to start running melee tournaments again. Before I get into any details - I will address the elephant in the room. I made a really bad mistake at *Pound* V with the deal I cut with the Hyatt and I am sorry for everyone effected (especially the prizewinners). I miscalculated multiple variables and was careless due to my previous success. Every tournament had gotten bigger and more successful at an exponential rate and in my efforts to continue taking things to the next level, i bit off more than I could chew. I am truly sorry, and I never expected for that to happen. I never meant to mislead anyone into travelling for nothing. I had so many things going on in my life outside of smash at the time and I did not properly handle the situation at the time. I am also sorry for that. It was such a crushing blow for me to lose everything I had worked for for so long and to let so many people down who I know had complete trust and confidence in me. I want to earn that back. I want to keep doing what I loved to do, despite my one (albeit very large) mistake. With each tournament I challenged myself to take the series bigger and better than ever. I took pride in my accomplishments and the building of the series. After *Pound* 5 I had to figure out how to deal with not only letting everyone else down, but letting myself down. That was not easy for me. Nothing made me happier than helping to create an outlet for release for hundreds of people from their stressful lives. I thoroughly enjoy the organizational aspect of running a tournament and bringing everyone together for a common cause. That is why I would always go through so much effort for my tournaments and stay so on top of them. I implore you lovely Melee players to help me get back in the game with this regional tournament. I am truly sorry to everyone. Anyway that's all I've got as far as that goes - I am sorry. I am going to do my best to remedy the situation. I am going to offer full disclosure on this tournament as far as the logistics go. I am also going to front the money for the venue myself and allow people to register in person. Any money above the price of the venue ($575) and assorted expenses (TBA) will go directly to any *Pound* V prize winners who attend *Pound* V.5.
Streamed by VGBootCamp at the following link! Hype!
Venue:
Frederick Fair Grounds
797 E Patrick St
Frederick, MD 21701
The tournament will be held at the same Fairgrounds as *Pound* IV. It will be a different building, however. This building is only 4,600 square feet whereas the P4 venue was 12,000 square feet. It does have a sound system and everything too! Definitely still a hefty sized venue capable of holding over 150 people! I am hoping for this to be a decently sized regional tournament. This will only be a one day event (unless there is an insane amount of interest or something, I do have the option to rent the venue for another day).
The venue is $575. I will pay this money myself and allow registration at the door for this tournament. All money will be collected by someone other than myself... not sure who it will be but some trustable smasher. In the event we have excess money from venue fee money, this will go to *Pound* V winners.
FB link:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/447796065315672/?fref=ts

Registration/Prices:
Venue Fee: $10​
Singles: $15​
Doubles: $10/person​
Spectator Fee (not playing): $5​
Spectator Fee (playing friendlies): $10​
Prizes:
Prizes will be determined based on attendence. Prizes are listed as number of entrants/top (x number of players)​
1-20/Top 3​
21-40/Top 4​
40-70/Top 6​
70-100/Top 8​
100+/Top 12​
Housing/Hotels/Flight:
If there is enough interest, I will gladly book a hotel block to try and get a cheaper rate if there are people coming from OOS. Again I would love for this to be a large regional tournament, I am not really expecting huge national attendance....although I will obviously organize accordingly as I gauge size :) I am more than willing to help organize rides from the airports (BWI or IAD) again if that will be helpful to people.

Goal Schedule:
9:00a: Venue opens and registration begins
11:00a: Registration closes to make pools/brackets
12:00p: Melee Teams begins (down to top 3)
12:00p: Project M Singles begins (down to top 8)
4:00p: Melee Singles Begins
400p: Project M Teams begins
7:00p: Finals for all games
11:00p: End of tournament/cleanup
These times are obviously rough estimates. I am planning on running a big bracket for teams and a round of pools for singles into a bracket. Again, since everything will be done in person these will have to be decided closer to the tournament when attendence is more gauged.
**Update regarding PM: I will be capping PM attendance at 64 for singles and 32 teams. We will be running singles first, down to the top 8, so that both games aren't doing teams at once. Someone is always waiting, in that case, and it would be an issue since there are so many players who play both games and would have mixed teammates most likely. If there aren't that many entrants, we will reconsider the format the day of.
That's all folks! Hope to see some old faces and get back into the groove, and maybe gear up for something bigger come next summer :)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Calm down Esam, I am sorry.

This is only meant to be a regional tournament... a tournament in Texas clashing is not a huge deal. Go to that for sure. I am gonna front the cost of the venue, if only 8 people come it's fine. It will be hella fun for the 8 of us.

edit:: @ZeRo no, Melee only for this one. Maybe if things go well and Brawl wanted to be included then I would add it if I do more in the future, but I am not in so great with that community right now and I'd rather focus on the game I have a true passion for.

MVD

Smash Master
sucks that no brawl, woulda been fun to go to another pound, make one for brawl in the future

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
My question is are you paying people back from pound5? Because I live off of and rely on the money I make from smash to make a living. That was months of money I earned which I would need. It was around 1.5k iirc.
If I continue running tournaments, I will use every extra dollar over the expenses of the tournament to pay back the PV winners. I have learned from my mistakes and am scaling back - I am just going to take the safe routes and with the support of Melee players (I know I have a ton locally in MD/VA) I would love to be able to start paying some people back. I don't have the means to do that personally, I've lived paycheck to paycheck for as long as I can remember. Hosting tournaments is the only other way I know to raise money and I am more than willing to put in tons of effort to organize things so that I can try and raise those funds back.

edit: MVD I'm glad to know you would've came, means a lot! I am thinking about doing a big thing next summer at the fairgrounds once I further my relationship with the fairgrounds and hopefully get some respect back from more of the community aside the local people and veterans who really know me. I am open to potentially include Brawl in events at the future :)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
okay I'm going to keep public updates on any money you pay me back and im going to be 100% honest on it then. So if you hand me 1,000 dollars for example, or 0 dollars, after this tourney is over, im going to tell the truth to everyone because I believe in honesty and id like to believe you're being honest but I'm going to make it public for whatever ends up happening so everyone will know the truth because I'm still pretty upset from events like pound5, snes, winterfest, activegamers, revelations, and a few others that don't pay back cuz that's incredibly unfair to people that either won or traveled to said events. it's happened too many times.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH

Bodied M2K

Mad respect for you to start doing this, but a large portion of the community has a ****ton of salt against PV (obviously). GOod luck trying to get that back~

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I am totally requesting to be staff

Oh and btw, I am very willing to get a fundraiser going via a gaming marathon to pay back the pound v damages, if people would be interested in such a thing.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I don't know the full story of what happened at V, but I do understand that it's easy to cast stones on someone in a situation where most likely would have done the same in a panic. By that metric, I don't see what you did as the right thing, but given the circumstances, entirely forgivable. I wasn't directly affected what happened, since I'm just a Ganon main whose cash flow is only enough to justify attendance alone. But all the same, in spite of that, I think there's no reason for the community to not be willing to give you a second shot, granted you demonstrate some kind of insurance.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
okay I'm going to keep public updates on any money you pay me back and im going to be 100% honest on it then. So if you hand me 1,000 dollars for example, or 0 dollars, after this tourney is over, im going to tell the truth to everyone because I believe in honesty and id like to believe you're being honest but I'm going to make it public for whatever ends up happening so everyone will know the truth because I'm still pretty upset from events like pound5, snes, winterfest, activegamers, revelations, and a few others that don't pay back cuz that's incredibly unfair to people that either won or traveled to said events. it's happened too many times.
I understand where you're coming from and wish that *Pound* wasn't on that list of crummy tournaments. I agree it is completely unfair and you've been boned out of a lot of money. I don't mind at all if you do public updates, it's whatever. It is common knowledge by now that *Pound* 5 was a financial bust entirely, but I will try and fix it if i can.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I really wish I had some money laying around or I'd totally go to this. Someone said there's one in texas though? I could attend that. Someone should totes link me some details because my Ganon is thirsty for blood.

M@v

Subarashii!
Isn't WHOBO this day too?

Also, I'll be in maryland by this time. If I do have time to come, I might be down with helping to run the event, since I'm average (and that's being gracious) at best in melee.

Lastly. I like seeing that you are at least making an effort to put things right :). As ESAM said though, don't expect people to fully and instantly forgive you (including me), just for making this thread. People want you to carry it out ^^

Twig

Smash Journeyman
<3 Pound. <3 Plank. My one tournament a year has gotta be this. GET HYPE.

MVD

Smash Master
i Ioved my experience at PV asidefrom not getting paid of course, if/when you do pay us back I have no doubt everyone would go to pound VI :p

Ghostype

Smash Champion
This will be my third tournament of the year (my heart can't handle the intensity of super smash bros. so I pace myself so I don't have smash attacks), hype.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
who cares about Whobo? its mainly Brawl n in TX and ran by a lunatic who's a know racist with ties to the Boston bombing

Pound hype

:017:

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
So much news today!

Plank, I know that I didn't get any money for my 3rd place at Pound 5, but I do know that Dr. PP and Armada had funds started for them to repay some of their winnings, so I dunno how that will factor in to that.

Regardless, I'm very happy to see you're hosting another national! Long live melee. I always loved your hosting and events, and I think the community is ready to give you another chance.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
oh ****, october? if things turn out good for me this year, i might be able to go to this. Also, Project M >>Brawl, make it happen plank

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'd like to see a better accounting of where the money from pound V went.

Did the hotel demand exactly $10,000 (or whatever the sum was that you actually ended up stealing)? I have a hard time believing that, and I think it's only fair that you come up with some numbers on how much you had to pay them vs how much you made in venue fees. Personally, I think you made a mistake bad enough to render you unfit to enter a melee tourney ever again, much less run one, and I'd lay even money that you compounded that by not paying whatever was left over from the hotel in partial payouts.

I'm just a guy on the internet, though, and you didn't steal anything from me (hell, I wasn't even really going to tourneys when pound V happened). My worry is that the incredibly gentlemanly top players in this equation (PP and Armada, mainly) whose goodwill you took advantage of, are going to be too nice to tell you to **** off. Armada lost over a thousand dollars because of your "mistake," and it's still not clear that it was only a mistake.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman

Did the hotel demand exactly $10,000 (or whatever the sum was that you actually ended up stealing)? I have a hard time believing that, and I think it's only fair that you come up with some numbers on how much you had to pay them vs how much you made in venue fees. Personally, I think you made a mistake bad enough to render you unfit to enter a melee tourney ever again, much less run one, and I'd lay even money that you compounded that by not paying whatever was left over from the hotel in partial payouts.

I'm just a guy on the internet, though, and you didn't steal anything from me (hell, I wasn't even really going to tourneys when pound V happened). My worry is that the incredibly gentlemanly top players in this equation (PP and Armada, mainly) whose goodwill you took advantage of, are going to be too nice to tell you to **** off. Armada lost over a thousand dollars because of your "mistake," and it's still not clear that it was only a mistake.
too bad he just entered one this past weekend and no one really cared.

Laijin

Smash Hero

Take your Plank bashing outside of the thread. There was literally a 100+ page thread(possibly more) and NUMEROUS amounts of threads after Pound 5 asking exactly what you are asking...and that was two years ago. If you want to discuss the matter with him, I suggest sending a PM so you don't clutter the tournament thread with pointless garbage.

Otherwise, if you don't want to come to a tournament hosted by him you don't have to. Quite frankly, no one will a **** either.

Edit: And yeah, too bad hes been going to tournaments since Pound 5 and guess what? No one cares.

Top Bottom