• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Pound 2016 Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
That recovery made me legitimately curious; I'm tempted to say it looked wacky just because That Guy happened to have a jump on him and performed a whole bunch of inputs, but how many characters can recover from that kind of distance?

Other than Bayonetta, Rosalina is the only one that comes to mind out of top characters. Maybe Limit Break Cloud. Sheik and ZSS have stupidly good recoveries but probably not from that low down.
Void was able to recover from a distance like that before

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Damn what is it with the Pokémon players showing absolutely no chill this tournament

iStudying trying to go with the disrespect spike against a Fox player (and almost losing the entire round because of a close comeback after they were saved because of it)
Abadango getting the disable footstool
ESAM switching to a Yoshi ditto even though he won the first game

Pokkén is real doods

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
That recovery made me legitimately curious; I'm tempted to say it looked wacky just because That Guy happened to have a jump on him and performed a whole bunch of inputs, but how many characters can recover from that kind of distance?

Other than Bayonetta, Rosalina is the only one that comes to mind out of top characters. Maybe Limit Break Cloud. Sheik and ZSS have stupidly good recoveries but probably not from that low down.
A lot of characters can recover from that distance if they have their double jump. Most of the top 20 I'd say. Won't stop people complaining about Bayo though.

Also, Pika is really not looking that clean. Watching ESAM struggle to kill that Yoshi just sums everything up. He lived to well over 160 both times. No offence to Squerk, but the 2nd game showed how much better a player ESAM is.

As far as Pokemon go, forget Greninja - Pika is the true discount Sheik IMO.

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Esam plays Yoshi? Huh. Yoshi ditto, who would seen that one coming?
Actually I saw it coming. At the pre big house weekly the exact same thing happened vs Regralht. Almost lost game 1 and then 2 stocked him in yoshi dittos.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
For some context, Squerk is the older brother of Puppeh the monstrous 13 year old Sheik from that Xanadu Arcadian.

He also fights the PRed Pikachu name Xion on a regular basis at weeklies.

:150:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Void was able to recover from a distance like that before
A lot of characters can recover from that distance if they have their double jump. Most of the top 20 I'd say. Won't stop people complaining about Bayo though.
Thanks, good to know it wasn't just placebo on my part that Smash 4 characters overall have some crazy good recoveries. I imagine I was probably impressed more by the inputs That Guy had to do than most people were probably angry that another Bayo managed to destroy dreams lmao

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Damn what is it with the Pokémon players showing absolutely no chill this tournament

iStudying trying to go with the disrespect spike against a Fox player (and almost losing the entire round because of a close comeback after they were saved because of it)
Abadango getting the disable footstool
ESAM switching to a Yoshi ditto even though he won the first game

Pokkén is real doods
For me this tourney is cementing Pika/Greninja/Mewtwo as the better half of the Pokemon cast. The battle for best Pokemon is wide open though.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
This sonic is actually doing pretty good vs Esam. Now lets just see if he can close the stock...
AND HE DID

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I wonder if @Cammy remembered my rant to him before the tournament about not accidentally air dodging just as you get up thrown by Pika, because he's been traveling pretty far on every other up throw since that first game~

Close first two games!!! GOOOOO BOI-O~!!

Ughhhh jab lock and strong confident play third game from esam.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
That praftall jablock to upsmash kill was pretty hype. Go FD against Pika?

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Nice and Oboro action. Bur Cammy played great considering who he was facing. If I was in Cammys spot, I would have lost 2-0 every time. He did not really keep his cool though in that last match. Nice game though

Luig

Confused
Camalange dropped on the deck and flopped like a fish, but got jab locked.

But seriously, that was a good showing by him. He played well.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Craftis beats DKwill 2-0

huge upset

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
OH MY GOD. CRAFTIS WAS PLAYING GOD LIKE.

That match got me so damn hyped. And Camalange was doing amazing vs esam though.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
God the DK Sonic matchup looks so hopeless
At least Ding Dong is a really silly kill confirm. It kind of vets stalecwhen that is the only way DK can ever kill now in high level play. I want to see some meteor smashes from him. He has like, 4 of them

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Craft kid has got me intrigued. Makes Sonic actually look fun lol

:150:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
That praftall jablock to upsmash kill was pretty hype. Go FD against Pika?
On FD Pika can trap landings more easily. Pika doesn't really have CP stages. It's one of the main reasons (if not the main reason at this point) to pick Pikachu as a serious tournament main.

Y Yonder I'm with you. This is probably blasphemy but I think Larry's DK is way more fun to watch than Will's. Will made that MU look hopeless when all that really happened was that he didn't get free Ding Dongs. Larry beat VoiD's pre-patch Sheik without Ding Dong-ing every stock.

Up next, "formerly a Bowser player who has switched over to Bayonetta." Oh dear.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I wish Zero played today. I really wanted to see what happened to him post Sheik. But these players are still sick!

juddy96

Smash Lord
Craftis beats DKwill 2-0

huge upset
It really isn't tho. He just never travels and there is a DK in Rhode Island that he likely fights a bunch. Craftis just today got ranked #4 in New England. DKwill is #8 in New York

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
People actually hyped for a MK ladder combo. How the meta evolves.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"OMG :mad088:ESAM:mad088: beat a Bayonetta with Meta Knight" - @D1
:bomb:

Seibrik's adaptive skills are really top class.
And he played around/followed the DI of that up air pretty well too.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
Seibrick showing that the ladder combo isn't impossible, but it just takes a lot more precision.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Troof dropping some of these combos is kinda baffling to me. I don't know if he's trying to set up into deliberate stuff but they feel like amateur mistakes, almost to the point that I'm wondering whether he's only dropping them for showmanship.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Troof dropping some of these combos is kinda baffling to me. I don't know if he's trying to set up into deliberate stuff but they feel like amateur mistakes, almost to the point that I'm wondering whether he's only dropping them for showmanship.
Oh yeah, Troof threw the match away on at least 2 occasions no question. Whether he outright threw it is up for debate.

-----

Anyway, even if the MK ladder's not gone, I'm pretty much okay with it happening once per set rather than once per stock.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
ESAM taking out his pocket Yoshi to beat Yoshi mains isn't too unrealistic. Nobody knows the Yoshi MU, not even Yoshi mains :^)
So might as well beat them with their own character if you barely managed to win game 1. Especially since Yoshi ditto is basically who can throw out the most hitboxes or bait out some laggy moves and punish easily.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
ESAM taking out his pocket Yoshi to beat Yoshi mains isn't too unrealistic. Nobody knows the Yoshi MU, not even Yoshi mains :^)
So might as well beat them with their own character if you barely managed to win game 1. Especially since Yoshi ditto is basically who can throw out the most hitboxes or bait out some laggy moves and punish easily.
I actually wonder if Esam made the Yoshi switch partly because he got an understanding of how his opponent uses Yoshi, and then could turn that information against him in the ditto.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
I don't think I've ever seen a single Pac-Man player think to use up special near the ledge to take away ledge options. Why don't they do this more?

Also, it's not possible to dodge roll through his hydrant, right? Because then Hydrant cold cover ledge rolls back onto the stage.
Pacmans actually do that pretty often but it requires a certain amount of prep time to get anything worthwhile out of it.
Whats good to do against characters whose recoveries arent as easy to edgeguard is put the hydrant on the ledge then hit it with up b. Covers jump, roll, ledge attack and standard ledge get up. There's also trampoline on the ledge to bell which is more rewarding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom