• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Right, and I accounted for all of that. It just doesn't sit right with me to assume that the roster isn't final because it is likely that the pics were taken at the same time. I don't want to be that guy that wakes up on the 13th and finds out that there aren't more characters and have my expectations not met because of this whole fiasco.
Fair enough. I'm just kinda excited to be really hyped again.

I'm totally cool with the roster as is. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Fair enough. I'm just kinda excited to be really hyped again.

I'm totally cool with the roster as is. Anything else would be icing on the cake.
Likewise, homie. Idk what I'm more excited for at the moment, having all of my questions answered on the 13th or playing all of it on the 3rd.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Looking at the potd....couldn't it just be Sakurai trolling again? I'm sure he damn well knows about the leak. He may well have out that potd there just to keep people thinking. It's not like Sakurai trolling isn't unheard of...just ask the Ridley supporters. And lest we forget Brawl's update on Lucas that mentioned how "up until now" Ness was the earthbound /mother rep.

I'm not making the same mistake I did with Brawl and assume that the dreaded rob and wolf dr mario and dark pit roster is not final just because Ridley and Mewtwo aren't there.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I don't think Sakurai would keep some characters unavailable until the Wii U launch or save space on the css screen for dlc characters. Sakurai likes to release full, complete games instead of hiding things for later. I think that those empty spaces on the css will be filled by launch of the 3ds version.

I think today's POTD was a way of Sakurai acknowledging the leak, but also saying that there are still more unknown characters to keep up the hype.
This^ Nintendo doesn't deliver things half way, they deliver full 100%. The only difference between 3ds and Wii U will be the way you play and on what screen. simple as THAT.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
Right, and I accounted for all of that. It just doesn't sit right with me to assume that the roster isn't final because it is likely that the pics were taken at the same time. I don't want to be that guy that wakes up on the 13th and finds out that there aren't more characters and have my expectations not met because of this whole fiasco.
I completely agree. Even though I believe it may mean there's more characters, I'd rather limit my hopes so I don't get disappointed by a "guess what, guys, that was all after all!"

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I've been happy with the roster since Megaman. Literally nothing short of removing him from the game can kill my excitement for the roster.

The entire time here, I've been thinking that sakurai will want to save a char surprise or 2 for the Wii U version, and not reveal them until after 3DS release. The only way I can see for this to happen would be a free DLC for the 3DS version that becomes available at the Wii U launch date, etc. Just my thoughts.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I've been happy with the roster since Megaman. Literally nothing short of removing him from the game can kill my excitement for the roster.

The entire time here, I've been thinking that sakurai will want to save a char surprise or 2 for the Wii U version, and not reveal them until after 3DS release. The only way I can see for this to happen would be a free DLC for the 3DS version that becomes available at the Wii U launch date, etc. Just my thoughts.
Capcom could still cancel the release of Smash Bros you know.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I was looking at the leak and I noticed R.O.B looks more like his American colors, could it be his default colour depends where you live?

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
So what I'm getting from these comments is that some of you want the roster to be final? That's...kind of petty, to say the least.

So far, there hasn't been anything to convince me that the roster is final. Clone section? Then why aren't Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco with them? The pictures that were taken were spaced out over time? How exactly can you prove that? They're planned for DLC? It doesn't explain why there would be a padlock in the first place, considering that who knows how long it will actually be implemented.

I don't know how many characters are left to be revealed, as it could be from 3 to 5, or even more. But I'm inclined to believe that the remaining characters are Ridley, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Chorus Men, and an unknown newcomer (which I think might be from Zelda). They were part of the extended Ninka leak, and are at the heart of speculation because they were leaked before the Ninka/Vaanrose leaks were ever made known to the public. Their inclusion could also help balance out the roster space and make it fit nicely on the 3DS screen, so long as we moved the clones back to their respective franchises.

But, if it does turn out to be final, which I doubt, then I have to say that's a pretty barebones roster, considering the lack of Mewtwo and Ridley.
I think you misunderstand people's skepticism. Very few people would not like more characters. I'd like the roster to have a hundred characters. But I'm not expecting that because there is no proof of that many characters. Same with an additional 1-5 characters. I would love it, but I do not believe there is enough proof of more characters for me to believe it. If I were to believe in more characters, and this turns out to be the final CSS, then I (along with everyone else here who believes it) would be extremely disappointed. I would much rather be pleasantly surprised by unexpected characters than utterly disappointed.

With the All-Star lock, no one is saying that it must have been taken at a different time from the other pictures, it simply could have been, so it is poor evidence for more characters. It is unusual that Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. do not appear on the bottom screen in their proper places in the leaked shot. Either the player had not unlocked them due to the picture being taken at a different time from the CSS leak, or the bottom screen does not update to include newly unlocked characters. If the former is true, then the All-Star leak means nothing, since it was taken at a different time than the CSS leak. If the latter is true, then it also provides no evidence either way because we have no indication of when the picture was taken. Either way, it's bad evidence for more characters.

As for clone central, the difference is that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were upgraded from alt costumes, while Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco were developed from the start as their own characters. Furthermore, there is strong evidence that the 3DS roster operates by the sliding unlock mechanic from Brawl, where characters are always in the correct order, just with people missing in-between. Due to the flexible unlock order of characters, even if multiple players have the same number of characters unlocked, their CSS screens could look vastly different. Thus there is no consistent trigger that the devs could use as a point where the clones would disperse. So even if there are more characters, the clones would not jump up with their franchises, they would stay in the same basic order. Brawl's CSS never once violated the sliding rule, and SSB4 has yet to violate it either.

The fact that every single franchise is perfectly grouped together on the CSS and not split between rows is also very strong evidence that there are no more characters. With the sliding rule in place, a single missing character can scramble the entire CSS. Look at the incomplete Brawl roster below. Despite being only one character shy of a full CSS, Bowser is on the complete wrong side of the screen, Lucario got lumped with the spacies, Ness is now a Pokemon, and Sonic has joined his FE comrades. If the 3DS CSS was incomplete, you would expect some series to be broken up across subsequent rows in a similar manner (due to the series being arranged horizontally instead of vertically). I outlined in an earlier post that if we are correct about the sliding rule (which we very likely are), then the only characters that could still be hidden are Pokemon reps, Star Fox reps, characters from unrepresented series, and clones, and only in very specific combinations.

I'd like to reiterate, I would love more characters. I think Dixie Kong is a very deserving character, and I would be extremely happy to see Impa or Bandana Dee as well. I just don't believe it will happen. So I'll remain skeptical, and at worst I'll get exactly the roster I expect. Plus, there's a small chance I may yet be surprised.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
DLC is not a problem when done right.

I mean Nintendo is offering for Mario Kart 8, 6 characters, 8 karts and 16 courses for around $15. That's insane value. I don't expect the same value for Smash because Mario Kart is already way too cheap but I'd be all for packs of three characters and maybe three stages for the same price they offer the individual MK8 packs for.

I'm in the camp that regardless of the price I'll buy it for Smash though, so I'm happy with anything extra.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Yeap, just came back a little bit ago, and saw the POTD. Sakurai HAS to be screwing with us now XD.

I'm extremely happy if this truly is the final roster... but I can't help getting hyped about potential characters that have not been leaked that we know nothing about. Gives me some hope.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think MERICA MARIO proved this rendition of Smash has the most freedom of any of the others.
I think you mean AMERICO Mario like NOA's twitter account (See what I did there?)

Some people think the leak may have the final roster because we don't know what was filmed when and how the video was spliced together.

I don't think it's the final CSS or SSS because of the black spaces, particularly on the SSS, since it just looks ridiculous to have that black spot in the bottom-right corner.

And if it's not the final roster, people want THE RIGHT characters to make it.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I mean Nintendo is offering for Mario Kart 8, 6 characters, 8 karts and 16 courses for around $15.
Depending on if you count alternate color Yoshi and Shy Guys as alternate characters, it's the 6 stated on the DLC itself and then another 8 Yoshi and 8 Shy Guy, so even better.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think you misunderstand people's skepticism. Very few people would not like more characters. I'd like the roster to have a hundred characters. But I'm not expecting that because there is no proof of that many characters. Same with an additional 1-5 characters. I would love it, but I do not believe there is enough proof of more characters for me to believe it. If I were to believe in more characters, and this turns out to be the final CSS, then I (along with everyone else here who believes it) would be extremely disappointed. I would much rather be pleasantly surprised by unexpected characters than utterly disappointed.

With the All-Star lock, no one is saying that it must have been taken at a different time from the other pictures, it simply could have been, so it is poor evidence for more characters. It is unusual that Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B. do not appear on the bottom screen in their proper places in the leaked shot. Either the player had not unlocked them due to the picture being taken at a different time from the CSS leak, or the bottom screen does not update to include newly unlocked characters. If the former is true, then the All-Star leak means nothing, since it was taken at a different time than the CSS leak. If the latter is true, then it also provides no evidence either way because we have no indication of when the picture was taken. Either way, it's bad evidence for more characters.

As for clone central, the difference is that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were upgraded from alt costumes, while Toon Link, Ganondorf, and Falco were developed from the start as their own characters. Furthermore, there is strong evidence that the 3DS roster operates by the sliding unlock mechanic from Brawl, where characters are always in the correct order, just with people missing in-between. Due to the flexible unlock order of characters, even if multiple players have the same number of characters unlocked, their CSS screens could look vastly different. Thus there is no consistent trigger that the devs could use as a point where the clones would disperse. So even if there are more characters, the clones would not jump up with their franchises, they would stay in the same basic order. Brawl's CSS never once violated the sliding rule, and SSB4 has yet to violate it either.

The fact that every single franchise is perfectly grouped together on the CSS and not split between rows is also very strong evidence that there are no more characters. With the sliding rule in place, a single missing character can scramble the entire CSS. Look at the incomplete Brawl roster below. Despite being only one character shy of a full CSS, Bowser is on the complete wrong side of the screen, Lucario got lumped with the spacies, Ness is now a Pokemon, and Sonic has joined his FE comrades. If the 3DS CSS was incomplete, you would expect some series to be broken up across subsequent rows in a similar manner (due to the series being arranged horizontally instead of vertically). I outlined in an earlier post that if we are correct about the sliding rule (which we very likely are), then the only characters that could still be hidden are Pokemon reps, Star Fox reps, characters from unrepresented series, and clones, and only in very specific combinations.

I'd like to reiterate, I would love more characters. I think Dixie Kong is a very deserving character, and I would be extremely happy to see Impa or Bandana Dee as well. I just don't believe it will happen. So I'll remain skeptical, and at worst I'll get exactly the roster I expect. Plus, there's a small chance I may yet be surprised.
Hmm...I'm interested to see how Melee's looks with one character missing.
Can anyone provide a picture of such?

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
And lest we forget Brawl's update on Lucas that mentioned how "up until now" Ness was the earthbound /mother rep.
That's more likely because of translators not realizing the severity of phrasing Sakurai's words like that.

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile im just here sitting and thinking: whatever gets revealed in the 3ds release will be cool but i still have to wait for the wii u release ;u; .... but it will be worth it, i will be getting hyrule warriors instead this month so i will have fun while i wait XD

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
Here: http://imgur.com/mlcSJAH G&W is missing, note that I shopped in the Question block, because I couldn't find one without G&W. However, there are ways to unlock other characters last, through deleting unlocked characters without deleting target test data.

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
This^ Nintendo doesn't deliver things half way, they deliver full 100%. The only difference between 3ds and Wii U will be the way you play and on what screen. simple as THAT.
This is not true the 3ds will have smash run and new stages. Sakurai also sayed they will have roughly the same pokeballs and assist trophies

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Melee did not use the sliding mechanism of Brawl and SSB4, so one short of the full roster would just look like the final roster but with one square absent. Below is the starting roster:

The [?] squares are for Luigi, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth. When Luigi is unlocked, Pikachu hops down to the spot below Ness and Luigi takes Pikachu's place. The clones just appear next to their clonee. This mechanism of unlocking is pretty cool for Melee's roster, which starts small and essentially expands outward in 3 directions, but it wouldn't really work for Brawl or SSB4, since those have much larger rosters which don't expand outward, but rather have characters missing in the middle of the roster.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Nintendo has halfassed games before. Prominent games too. Mario Kart 7 didn't hit that hard because it really barebones, for example. Same goes for NSMB2 and NSMBU.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Melee did not use the sliding mechanism of Brawl and SSB4, so one short of the full roster would just look like the final roster but with one square absent. Below is the starting roster:

The [?] squares are for Luigi, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth. When Luigi is unlocked, Pikachu hops down to the spot below Ness and Luigi takes Pikachu's place. The clones just appear next to their clonee. This mechanism of unlocking is pretty cool for Melee's roster, which starts small and essentially expands outward in 3 directions, but it wouldn't really work for Brawl or SSB4, since those have much larger rosters which don't expand outward, but rather have characters missing in the middle of the roster.
Here: http://imgur.com/mlcSJAH G&W is missing, note that I shopped in the Question block, because I couldn't find one without G&W. However, there are ways to unlock other characters last, through deleting unlocked characters without deleting target test data.

is it possible that the question mark on the SSB4 CSS is an unlockable and not random...? o.o

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
If anything, this just proves that Sakurai has, in the past, done something to designate clones. Notice how the clones are directly next to the character they are a clone of, and also lowered slightly. It's not the same as giving them their own row, but it IS an example of Sakurai choosing to acknowledge the clones. This essentially proves the clone row isn't going anywhere, and if they clone row doesn't get rearranged, it means no Mewtwo, Ridley, or K Rool/Dixie. So we are back to square one...the POTD proves nothing.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
If anything, this just proves that Sakurai has, in the past, done something to designate clones. Notice how the clones are directly next to the character they are a clone of, and also lowered slightly. It's not the same as giving them their own row, but it IS an example of Sakurai choosing to acknowledge the clones. This essentially proves the clone row isn't going anywhere, and if they clone row doesn't get rearranged, it means no Mewtwo, Ridley, or K Rool/Dixie. So we are back to square one...the POTD proves nothing.
Toon Link is a clone, he's not on Clone Row. Same for Ganondorf and Falco. Your post proves nothing.

Laikue

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thatguylaikue
3DS FC
4356-1192-5913
Nintendo has halfassed games before. Prominent games too. Mario Kart 7 didn't hit that hard because it really barebones, for example. Same goes for NSMB2 and NSMBU.
I agree with NSMB2, but NSMBU (while not Nintendo's brightest moment) has it's challenge mode and like 90 stages. (Not to mention New Super Luigi U DLC) Also, your point about Mario Kart 7 not hitting hard is false. It still makes top ten charts in Japan, after like, what, 3 years? Yeah, I'd say that went over well. I will say Mario Kart 8 felt a bit... bare to me, but even still, it wasn't that big of an issue to me

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
Why are there still clones Dr.Mario, Lucina, DARK PIT(dark pit might not be) and ganondorf! I thought this one would be clone less

Dyguren

Smash Journeyman
This is not true the 3ds will have smash run and new stages. Sakurai also sayed they will have roughly the same pokeballs and assist trophies
Whatever the 3ds has, the wii u version will have it as well, because it comes after the 3ds version, it shouldn't have less content

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Same goes for NSMB2 and NSMBU.
The guys who make NSMB aren't the same guys who will make things like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Galaxy and etc. They're kind of famous for being their spinoff, easy money, hardly try team in comparison to their actual triple A game team.

Why are there still clones Dr.Mario, Lucina, DARK PIT(dark pit might not be) and ganondorf! I thought this one would be clone less
We've been over this a million, billion times. Those clones, like Lucina, seem to be alternate costumes that were turned into actual characters because they had the extra time to do so. That's all. They're not clones that waste a "character slot" they're just extra goodies tacked on at the end which weren't too hard to make/implement.

It's not worth whining about is my point.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I agree with NSMB2, but NSMBU (while not Nintendo's brightest moment) has it's challenge mode and like 90 stages. (Not to mention New Super Luigi U DLC) Also, your point about Mario Kart 7 not hitting hard is false. It still makes top ten charts in Japan, after like, what, 3 years? Yeah, I'd say that went over well. I will say Mario Kart 8 felt a bit... bare to me, but even still, it wasn't that big of an issue to me
MK7 didn't hit as hard as it could or should have. It was clearly a rushed product. I agree that MK8 felt bare with no proper battle arenas and no options until the latest patch, but it got hype because it looked amazing and has good online play.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
MK7 didn't hit as hard as it could or should have. It was clearly a rushed product. I agree that MK8 felt bare with no proper battle arenas and no options until the latest patch, but it got hype because it looked amazing and has good online play.
iirc That was around the time the 3ds was tanking. Right? That'd explain it. Metal Mario was one of the biggest red flags that signaled it was rushed since he shared all the same animations and model with Mario aside from the texture. It was still decent but I still wish they coulda added missions/bosses.

DarkStar15

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nasir
3DS FC
2466-4104-0703
Whatever the 3ds has, the wii u version will have it as well, because it comes after the 3ds version, it shouldn't have less content
Sakurai said smash run Is exclusive to the 3ds

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Toon Link is a clone, he's not on Clone Row. Same for Ganondorf and Falco. Your post proves nothing.
not quite
You see Toon link, Ganon and Falco are clones but have different things to make them semi-clones with different attacks than the originals, example is Falco who uses his hands with slashes rather than fox with his feet and normal hits, Ganon having the flame choke and his attacks can kill at low percentages, and Toon Link only uses his sword for attacks unlike link which he some times uses his feet for attacks.

The clone corner on the other hand, the characters have the EXACT same moveset than the originals but with different effects.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
The clone corner on the other hand, the characters have the EXACT same moveset than the originals but with different effects.
We don't really know this other than for Lucina.

That said, it's easy enough to logic the different positions as "These guys are new", whereas Toon Link, Falco, and Ganondorf were all in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom