• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potential Roster/Stage Leak Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Regarding the new PotD (All-Star):

It's been claimed that the ESRB video (that the leak came from), would have been most likely compiled all at the same time. But it's possible that there were multiple copies of the game used to make the vid, which could very well have been at different stages of completion. So the locked All-Star icon doesn't really suggest that the leaked roster is incomplete. I'd say it suggests MORE that a team of people were assigned to make the ESRB video (which is insignificant info).

I don't believe any part of the PotD is specifically acknowledging the leak, or any community speculation. I hear the argument that by saying "look, this is what the lock icon means," Sakurai is hinting that the leaked roster wasn't complete. But to make such a hint, Sakurai would have to know that the community is speculating about how that icon relates to the leak. And really, beyond this ONE thread, is there really much discussion about it among the community? Enough that Sakurai would come to know of it so quickly? I'm actually asking, because I don't know.

As for the concept of the lock icon itself, it definitely doesn't suggest DLC. Someone has already said that it would be impractical to leave the icon there until the "DLC characters come in," because there's no way of the team knowing when they're done with DLC. If they have another idea for a DLC character, and they already removed the icon, then . . . .oops, too late!

TL;DR version -- The ESRB video is probably not a "1-cart, 1-time" affair, we're overestimating how on-the-ball Sakurai is, and the lock icon has nothing to do with DLC.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
You think I don't know about his intended inclusion in Melee? Kojima went to Sakurai too late in development to get him added. I guarantee you, had he gone to him earlier and Snake was in Melee, he wouldn't have been in Brawl. It was a one time crossover deal between a man and his idol.
Let's say he was in Melee and he was a fan favorite (like fox) and became a series staple would he just be a One Time deal. What would be the point in just making him just a One Time deal, Are you aware that Metal Gear had tons of content in Brawl? Sakurai would be removing an entire franchise if he cut Snake why would he do that? What gives Sonic more priority than Snake? That's not Kojima idol that just his "close" and "personal" friend he doesn't worship him. Are you aware of Friendship?

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
DLC is not a problem when done right.

I mean Nintendo is offering for Mario Kart 8, 6 characters, 8 karts and 16 courses for around $15. That's insane value. I don't expect the same value for Smash because Mario Kart is already way too cheap but I'd be all for packs of three characters and maybe three stages for the same price they offer the individual MK8 packs for.

I'm in the camp that regardless of the price I'll buy it for Smash though, so I'm happy with anything extra.
Sorry for nitpicking but if you buy both together you get all of it for 12 dollars

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Despite being only one character shy of a full CSS, Bowser is on the complete wrong side of the screen, Lucario got lumped with the spacies, Ness is now a Pokemon, and Sonic has joined his FE comrades.
Well, he HAS been a blue-haired sword lord before. It wouldn't surprise me if this was going to be Super Smash Bros. Blue, Fire Emblem edition.

Check out his Valiantium Blade! :troll:

But in any real case, the CSS is locked tight but I also feel that it's prime for DLC, and the DLC won't follow the rules of the roster, and may be linked to the Wii U version. Case in Point: Wii U version's different layout. So until Holiday 2014, I think the 48 character roster is all we're seeing, but not all she wrote.

MarquisPhantom

Smash Rookie
Let's say he was in Melee and he was a fan favorite (like fox) and became a series staple would he just be a One Time deal. What would be the point in just making him just a One Time deal, Are you aware that Metal Gear had tons of content in Brawl? Sakurai would be removing an entire franchise if he cut Snake why would he do that? What gives Sonic more priority than Snake? That's not Kojima idol that just his "close" and "personal" friend he doesn't worship him. Are you aware of Friendship?
What gives Sonic more priority than Snake is that Nintendo has the rights to multiple Sonic exclusives for the coming years. Sega and Nintendo have a very close bond right now in the form of Sonic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What no one seems to be considering is that if you were the leaker and you wanted to leak as much as possible would you leak the unlocked allstar mode or locked allstar mode? Locked because it is something that hasn't existed in previous games. It just didn't show up if you didn't have all the characters.

Likewise with characters you'd want to leak everyone you could. Clearly if you are risking your job, internet fame is very important to you, so you want to get out as much as you can.

Now no one knows just how much info this leaker had access to, but it is interesting to note that it was there prerogative to leak all characters but a locked allstar. And has been pointed out before it isn't as though there is no precedent in this leak for having more things unlocked in some pictures than in others.

I hope there are more, because why wouldn't I, but I'm hesitant to be optimistic. I'm not seeing all this evidence for a larger roster that people are claiming exists. Sure the character placement is a little odd, but not that odd.

Also consider how close to release we are and how many newcomers we didn't know about in Brawl at around this same time. Disregarding leaks the answer is 4. Likewise this time if the leak is true, we have 4 left we don't know about if the leak is all there is. It's possible that this time there really are 9 that Sakurai has held off on, but what evidence do we have to believe that?
Sakurai, being the crafty ******* that he is, may have set things up this way on purpose for the sake of damage control. One of his biggest gripes about Brawl was how much was leaked so he may have set it up so that the game would be virtually impossible to completely leak before release. I still think DLC and or Wii U linking content will be a thing for these games so, again, I don't think everything was spoiled, even if this does end up being the initial final character/stage roster upon release.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Well, he HAS been a blue-haired sword lord before. It wouldn't surprise me if this was going to be Super Smash Bros. Blue, Fire Emblem edition.

I only liked your post for this ^

But in any real case, the CSS is locked tight but I also feel that it's prime for DLC, and the DLC won't follow the rules of the roster, and may be linked to the Wii U version. Case in Point: Wii U version's different layout. So until Holiday 2014, I think the 48 character roster is all we're seeing, but not all she wrote.
(Voice of Black Knight): Is that...all there is?

No I refuse to accept it you're wrong Mewtwo must return I'm not listening lalala

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
So I see Nintendo just announced a Bayonetta 2 direct for September 4th. Does that make it unlikely for a Smash Direct to happen before the Japanese release?
Yeah. Probably. I can't think of too many times we've gotten 3 Nintendo Directs within a couple of weeks of each other.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
So I've been looking at the roster we currently have from the leak, and the leaked starting roster and it seems that Sm4sh uses a sliding roster, meaning that characters do not "jump around." The problem with this is that, barring the very unlikely inclusion of another Wario or Mario rep, Donkey Kong, Zelda and Samus cannot have new, non-clone rep. This also assumes that the roster is not final, which we don't know yet.

1. If there is a new rep from just one of those series then the Metroid reps will be seperated, with ZSS being pushed down a row.
2. If there is a new rep from two or three of those series, then the Kirby reps would be seperated. This also assumes that both Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus have had all of their reps revealed, which is highly likely, and that the clone section will not seperate, as that would require character's to jump around.
3. There are, therefore, 3 multi-rep series that could still have a hidden character. These include Kirby (Bandana Dee), Starfox (Wolf), and Pokemon (Mewtwo). However, among these 3, only 2 can have another character, as having all 3 with a character would cause a Pokemon to be on another row.
4. At this point, the clone section is now separated, with Lucina being down a row from the others, and would require two more characters before them to be reunited. Likely characters include Lucas, Ice Climbers, Chorus Men or Isaac, as Mother is the only series on that line likely to have two reps.
5. This accounts for 4 of the 5 hidden characters. The final character could be a clone rep from any series, or another unique series rep.

These are, of course, observations that hinge entirely on the assumption that the final 5 are not, in fact, free dlc to come later, and that this isn't the final roster.

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice
So I see Nintendo just announced a Bayonetta 2 direct for September 4th. Does that make it unlikely for a Smash Direct to happen before the Japanese release?
There's also the fact that the 3ds direct was Japan only. We haven't even officially had a direct since the Hyrule Warrior's one.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
I think so, but at the same time I feel like Bayonetta is so far away compared to how Hyrule Warriors was.

With the game being E10+, are every chances for Bayonetta in the game gone?

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but maybe, just MAYBE Nintendo will be kind enough and give us something Smash related.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
They're probably going to announce that for the new game, instead of playing as Bayonetta you'll play as Ridelytwo, a horrible accident of Mewtwo and Ridley becoming horribly melted together, as compensation for them not being in Smash.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
The only problem with this new revelation is that it once again gives people the fuel to try to fit their unrealistic expectations into the roster and then explain how the roster will work around it.

Zango

Smash Apprentice
The only problem with this new revelation is that it once again gives people the fuel to try to fit their unrealistic expectations into the roster and then explain how the roster will work around it.
Obviously Ridley's just on the lower screen because there wasn't enough room for him and all the other characters on the top screen.

So, i found this "full roster" image

Can someone please tell me if this has been proved fake already?
I'm 99% sure that picture has already been posted on this page and otherwise posted over twelve billion times.

(It's fake)

Last edited:

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I just wanna say to the people who thinks that is 100% sure that there is more characters than the ones in the leak because of the POTD: don't keep your hopes too high or you guys may be disappointed. The video was recorded in different stages of the game( see barbara picture) so the lock could have been recorded in a early stage of development. I know that I sound negative, but I'm just trying not to disappoint me in the end. I still have hopes for Ridley,but I would not put my hand in the fire.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
But wouldn't a Bayonetta direct and Smash Bros. direct be made by completely different people? What conflict would arise from directs for these two coming at similar times?
Well, there would be no issue at all. The thing is they don't usually put two Directs so close to each other.

So, i found this "full roster" image

Can someone please tell me if this has been proved fake already?
Yay! Twelfth time I see this picture! It's fake! For the twelfth time, it's FAKE!

Last edited:

brawlerdude

Smash Rookie
I don't think Ridley will be in. For one, he was "shown" immediately after Sakurai talked about Yellow Devil, and it even had the caption "Other boss character appearances." The leak from a week ago is definitely real, simply based on 2 things:
1. The render of Shulk in the leak is the exact same pose as the render on the official website.
2. The nametag "ESRB0083" kept popping up in the leak, and we got a rating as of the Shulk trailer: E10+

Because it was the ESRB build, they needed to show the most questionable things in the game that may or may not have affected the rating. If Ridley, a giant flying monster, was in, the ESRB would've seen it. Mewtwo, however, is from a kid-friendly E-rated franchise, and I don't doubt he'll come back, especially if we are getting Dr Mario back. As for Duck Hunt Dog, 2 words: Punching. Bag.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I don't think Ridley will be in. For one, he was "shown" immediately after Sakurai talked about Yellow Devil, and it even had the caption "Other boss character appearances." The leak from a week ago is definitely real, simply based on 2 things:
1. The render of Shulk in the leak is the exact same pose as the render on the official website.
2. The nametag "ESRB0083" kept popping up in the leak, and we got a rating as of the Shulk trailer: E10+

Because it was the ESRB build, they needed to show the most questionable things in the game that may or may not have affected the rating. If Ridley, a giant flying monster, was in, the ESRB would've seen it. Mewtwo, however, is from a kid-friendly E-rated franchise, and I don't doubt he'll come back, especially if we are getting Dr Mario back. As for Duck Hunt Dog, 2 words: Punching. Bag.
I doubt the footage and photos we saw was everything shown to the ESRB, though. It's just not enough. It shows very few characters (it seems to focus on unannounced newcomers, I guess because the leaker wanted to show off specific stuff) and presumably none of the 1P modes. And if Ridley should have been shown, shouldn't Duck Hunt have also been shown due to the nature of the original game? They'd probably want to be sure that anything revolving around that character was highlighted, but all we see is a render.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord

The game's been rated for a couple months hasn't it?

Also, why is Ridley objectionable for being a "giant flying monster" while Mewtwo, a more human sized monster with a preference for violence, gets a pass? Your argument needs better presentation I think.

Last edited:

Lord Goomy

Smash Apprentice

You're forgetting the strong possibility that the final five characters will be included as free dlc at the time of the wii u launch, which would make sense as this would build massive amounts of hype. In this case dlc doesn't have to be rated, or is rated separately, meaning Ridley's absence would make sense. And honestly, Mewtwo is the character that makes the most sense to be one of the final five, considering the massive amount of demand from both Japan and everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom